MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
8/28/2024 2:55am
sspomer wrote:
world champs pit bits video. what is this thing???

world champs pit bits video. what is this thing???

Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 8.41.16 AM.png?VersionId=JuG Fb3rO.VHxPh
TEAMROBOT wrote:
Similar product, spotted at the Snow Summit National last weekend behind someone's van. Asked and he said they work great, exactly as intended. We compared notes...

Similar product, spotted at the Snow Summit National last weekend behind someone's van. Asked and he said they work great, exactly as intended. We compared notes about how blown away we both were the first time riding a heavy ebike through choppy rough stuff. The front one is apparently an off-the-shelf moto product that fits a Dorado upper leg without modifications. And yes, these are definitely suspended mass dampers. Sadly, this bike needed a steering damper and hand guards to win bike tech bingo.

Shakeweight DH

Do you find the benefits more pronounced on front or rear end?

Front end felt like a bigger change on the entire track, mostly because it was directly calming down feedback to the hands.

8/28/2024 6:19am
TEAMROBOT wrote:
Similar product, spotted at the Snow Summit National last weekend behind someone's van. Asked and he said they work great, exactly as intended. We compared notes...

Similar product, spotted at the Snow Summit National last weekend behind someone's van. Asked and he said they work great, exactly as intended. We compared notes about how blown away we both were the first time riding a heavy ebike through choppy rough stuff. The front one is apparently an off-the-shelf moto product that fits a Dorado upper leg without modifications. And yes, these are definitely suspended mass dampers. Sadly, this bike needed a steering damper and hand guards to win bike tech bingo.

Shakeweight DH

Front end felt like a bigger change on the entire track, mostly because it was directly calming down feedback to the hands.

Was there a type of bump/frequency range where it was more noticeable?

monarchmason
8/28/2024 7:29am
Marcus J wrote:
Why would Mondraker want the mass damper on the end of the swingarm though, on the unsprung mass. Wouldnt you want it on the sprung mass...

Why would Mondraker want the mass damper on the end of the swingarm though, on the unsprung mass. Wouldnt you want it on the sprung mass? (Like on carlinojoevideos setup above)

Maybe it helps with rear end bucking? 

grinch
Fantasy
246th
8/28/2024 7:58am
Marcus J wrote:
Why would Mondraker want the mass damper on the end of the swingarm though, on the unsprung mass. Wouldnt you want it on the sprung mass...

Why would Mondraker want the mass damper on the end of the swingarm though, on the unsprung mass. Wouldnt you want it on the sprung mass? (Like on carlinojoevideos setup above)

I'd think that'd be better controlled with the lighter stock triangle and proper suspension. Add the weight around the bb

8/28/2024 7:59am
Hey, yes these are from CounterShox. the blue one on the fork is straight off the moto bike.  I tested on my Yamaha 450 first and...

Hey, yes these are from CounterShox. the blue one on the fork is straight off the moto bike.  I tested on my Yamaha 450 first and then had to try on DH bike. I knew it would have a bigger effect.

The mount is off a 85cc dirt bike, they have the same diameter clamp as dorado.

The one mounted to the seattube is lighter, about 1lb.  I 3D printed a mount so it doesn’t rub again the frame.  

These TMD are not adjustable, from talking to the folks at CounterShox, they have put so much R&D into weights, springs and bumpers, I trust their knowledge about frequencies over me tinkering with it.  

I did have to adjust my suspension slightly, I tested with data acquisition and there is a difference in numbers with and without for sure. With the weights on the Atherton it’s still around 41lb, coming from dirt bikes and e-bikes, anything sub 40lb feels like it deflects too much and isn’t planted. For DH and bike park, I don’t see a reason not to run these mass dampers.

IMG 3349

Can we get a review?

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
8/28/2024 8:22am

on instagram, countershox commented that they're launching a version for bikes in loudenvielle next week.

8/28/2024 9:33am

I found that sharp high frequency bumps were deadened. Like washboard bumps, or sharp square edge braking bumps. 

So this let me run my HSC a few clicks stiffer. Then in return my bike handled big compressions better.  I used to sacrifice large high speed hits because I was looking for comfort in other areas of the trail that have more chatter.

jalopyj
8/28/2024 10:21am

Frameworks Enduro frames available for pre-sale for newsletter subscribers. Starting at $4K for frame and shock (Fox Float X).

8/28/2024 10:37am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2024 10:38am

What patents does countershox have on this? Can we spin up a competitor where it mounts inside your steer tube, or an ebike where the battery is mass damp(en)enened?

EDIT: actually, mounting it in the steerer tube is a bad idea- if no one can see your product then how will you be able to market it

matmattmatthew
8/28/2024 11:04am
What patents does countershox have on this? Can we spin up a competitor where it mounts inside your steer tube, or an ebike where the battery...

What patents does countershox have on this? Can we spin up a competitor where it mounts inside your steer tube, or an ebike where the battery is mass damp(en)enened?

EDIT: actually, mounting it in the steerer tube is a bad idea- if no one can see your product then how will you be able to market it

gibbon
8/28/2024 11:40am
jalopyj wrote:

Frameworks Enduro frames available for pre-sale for newsletter subscribers. Starting at $4K for frame and shock (Fox Float X).

Are thet the cnc headtube version like the latest dh bike?

MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
8/28/2024 11:51am
jalopyj wrote:

gibbon wrote:

Are thet the cnc headtube version like the latest dh bike?

Yes. Looks like the cnc head tube and bb. Also the new rear triangle. The only thing that im not sure about is the float x instead of the coil shock. I was expecting a dhx2 but guess ill be giving the float x a try 

NicoZesty96
8/28/2024 12:40pm

Couldn't help but notice they're using a different oil for Shimano brakes, i'm wondering if that's something already in the market and will be stock on the new lineup or if it's a new Shimano recipe

shimano.jpg?VersionId=gOv1Wid7Nnrb7k.UoSFduAUZ3
veefour
Fantasy
315th
8/28/2024 1:44pm
Couldn't help but notice they're using a different oil for Shimano brakes, i'm wondering if that's something already in the market and will be stock on...

Couldn't help but notice they're using a different oil for Shimano brakes, i'm wondering if that's something already in the market and will be stock on the new lineup or if it's a new Shimano recipe

Or if it's Putoline HPX R. 😄

thresh
8/28/2024 3:05pm

I found that sharp high frequency bumps were deadened. Like washboard bumps, or sharp square edge braking bumps. So this let me run my HSC a few...

I found that sharp high frequency bumps were deadened. Like washboard bumps, or sharp square edge braking bumps. 

So this let me run my HSC a few clicks stiffer. Then in return my bike handled big compressions better.  I used to sacrifice large high speed hits because I was looking for comfort in other areas of the trail that have more chatter.

That kinda sounds like an effect one would get by jumping to coil forks instead of air-sprung ones.  Interesting!

MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
8/28/2024 3:13pm

I found that sharp high frequency bumps were deadened. Like washboard bumps, or sharp square edge braking bumps. So this let me run my HSC a few...

thresh wrote:

That kinda sounds like an effect one would get by jumping to coil forks instead of air-sprung ones.  Interesting!

And without some of the issues found on a coil fork. I have a z1 coil with a grip 2 in it and its great on stuff like that but i do find it sometimes easy to blow through the travel a bit more than i would like

8/28/2024 3:34pm

It doesn't appear to be dampened, just sprung. They claim their data shows less vibration, but their "control" is unweighted. I would love to see data with just the equal weight, the tungsten weight sprung, and then a true unwieghted control. Maybe throw in a dampened sprung weight, but that gets more complicated as you'd have to decide how much dampening to add. You could even go crazy and have different compression/rebound!

1llumA
Fantasy
680th
8/28/2024 3:40pm
Couldn't help but notice they're using a different oil for Shimano brakes, i'm wondering if that's something already in the market and will be stock on...

veefour wrote:

Or if it's Putoline HPX R. 😄

Maybe rebranded Pütoline HPX R but it seems to be the new OEM shimano oil as this picture in the pit bit part 2 seems to indicate

Syndicate Pit. Nina Hoffmann%27s number plate looking fresh
8/28/2024 3:48pm
Marcus J wrote:

grinch wrote:

I'd think that'd be better controlled with the lighter stock triangle and proper suspension. Add the weight around the bb

In theory the tyres bounce at their own natural frequency so on small, fast chattery bumps they can start to hop and lose traction. These inputs are usually too short for the suspension to respond in time so a mass damper could cancel out the vibration which keeps a more consistent force on the tyre.

8/28/2024 3:50pm
In theory the tyres bounce at their own natural frequency so on small, fast chattery bumps they can start to hop and lose traction. These inputs...

In theory the tyres bounce at their own natural frequency so on small, fast chattery bumps they can start to hop and lose traction. These inputs are usually too short for the suspension to respond in time so a mass damper could cancel out the vibration which keeps a more consistent force on the tyre.

So we need two small ones on our dropouts for front and back, unsuspended, two larger ones for the fork and seat tube, and then two more at the end of our handlebars to reduce hand buzz, making the bike look like a 90s bar setup with bull horns?

Finkill
Fantasy
3558th
8/28/2024 4:18pm
It doesn't appear to be dampened, just sprung. They claim their data shows less vibration, but their "control" is unweighted. I would love to see data...

It doesn't appear to be dampened, just sprung. They claim their data shows less vibration, but their "control" is unweighted. I would love to see data with just the equal weight, the tungsten weight sprung, and then a true unwieghted control. Maybe throw in a dampened sprung weight, but that gets more complicated as you'd have to decide how much dampening to add. You could even go crazy and have different compression/rebound!

Yeah, looks dry in the images...

monarchmason
8/28/2024 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2024 5:34pm

A mass damper inside of a frame instead of shocks with be pretty cool in my opinion. Or apart of fork crowns. Does anyone know, do these mass dampers help more with short or long travel bikes? I would throw one on my all mountain bike to help with smoothing out vibrations. Weight does not scare me. Since its my all mountain bike the suspension is set up quite stiff to be ready for the rough. This has me very intrigued. 

grinch
Fantasy
246th
8/28/2024 5:37pm

grinch wrote:

In theory the tyres bounce at their own natural frequency so on small, fast chattery bumps they can start to hop and lose traction. These inputs...

Ah i see. So would a internal geared hub(maybe a 3x3 hub) work well for that app?

Kango
8/29/2024 12:02am

Those new TRP brakes look ready to be released.

nsp234
8/29/2024 12:17am
Bildschirmfoto 2024-08-29 um 09.13.34

What are those grooves near the end of the reservoir (below the tape)?
Is this some kind of adjuster? Like on some SRAM stuff?
Bildschirmfoto 2024-08-29 um 09.16.05.png?VersionId=oDUJ71VD

8/29/2024 12:38am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2024 12:40am

Dot fluid.... watch all the shimano fanboys say how good dot is all of a sudden.

also, why are we still having to strap levers to bars to get a good purge and solid feel.....
I've done it with shimano brakes for ages as it makes them feel even better, downside is you've gotten do it often to keep them feeling good.

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest