MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
monarchmason
8/25/2024 7:43am

Hm. I just thought of something. Why do we put the batteries for transmission and droppers on the unit itself? Why not have a wire that runs near and internal storage opening where its just 1 (maybe larger) battery for the both units. Honestly looking back at Shimanos Di2, does not seem to terrible. Although I know very little about it besides to was not wireless, just electric. 

I just imagined Scott taking its shocks and moving them out of the frame (that seemed weird to type), then where the shock is, is now internal storage and this big battery pack for everything. I just dont understand why we need wireless when its more non centralized weight. But I dont know. 

Also I agree onawalk. I will say its definitely fun to roast some companies.

Onawalk
8/25/2024 9:18am
Onawalk wrote:
I've been away for a while, so not checking regularly for a couple weeks, so I spent a couple hours trying to catch up, prolly 12...

I've been away for a while, so not checking regularly for a couple weeks, so I spent a couple hours trying to catch up, prolly 12 or so pages

the content and tone of comments has changed drastically in the last year.  I can only assume with increased users and engagement, which has brought along with it, a much more negative and judgy tone.  I was drawn to this comment section for the rumours and innovation (and spy shots, and great info from the likes or TEAMROBOT, Cascade, Dave, and many others)  but I find myself turned off by the overly opinionated, overly critical, divisive nature of the content recently.  

We can all agree that bikes, in almost all forms are friggin rad.  That rumours, and spy shots of some beautifully CNC'd bit of bike jewellery is friggin rad. That incredibly detailed info about suspension performance, tech bits, and tire compounds is friggin rad.

But can we agree that opinionated views on Sram or Shimano brakes (which is best and why) based on nothing but personal preference is out of place here?  That divisive comments about e-bikes that dont serve anyones interest are out of place (not an e-biker, but they look like a cool toy). That snakry comments about suspension setup can be had beneath your breath, at your keyboard.  Can we agree that "analog" is redundant, when we can simply refer to e-bikes, as e-bikes.  

If any of my comments were shitty to anyone, my bad man, I'll do better.

Like if our comment isnt a rumour, innovation, helpful info, or to hype up cool shit, we simply keep it to ourselves......maybe I just need a break....

You make some good points but this is also very get off my lawn.

Not meant as rant, have a kick ass day!

Onawalk
8/25/2024 9:20am
Onawalk wrote:
I've been away for a while, so not checking regularly for a couple weeks, so I spent a couple hours trying to catch up, prolly 12...

I've been away for a while, so not checking regularly for a couple weeks, so I spent a couple hours trying to catch up, prolly 12 or so pages

the content and tone of comments has changed drastically in the last year.  I can only assume with increased users and engagement, which has brought along with it, a much more negative and judgy tone.  I was drawn to this comment section for the rumours and innovation (and spy shots, and great info from the likes or TEAMROBOT, Cascade, Dave, and many others)  but I find myself turned off by the overly opinionated, overly critical, divisive nature of the content recently.  

We can all agree that bikes, in almost all forms are friggin rad.  That rumours, and spy shots of some beautifully CNC'd bit of bike jewellery is friggin rad. That incredibly detailed info about suspension performance, tech bits, and tire compounds is friggin rad.

But can we agree that opinionated views on Sram or Shimano brakes (which is best and why) based on nothing but personal preference is out of place here?  That divisive comments about e-bikes that dont serve anyones interest are out of place (not an e-biker, but they look like a cool toy). That snakry comments about suspension setup can be had beneath your breath, at your keyboard.  Can we agree that "analog" is redundant, when we can simply refer to e-bikes, as e-bikes.  

Like if our comment isnt a rumour, innovation, helpful info, or to hype up cool shit, we simply keep it to ourselves......maybe I just need a break....

Agree with all your points, but disappointed that you left electronic shifting off the list of hot topics. Sounds like we need to fight about that...

Agree with all your points, but disappointed that you left electronic shifting off the list of hot topics. Sounds like we need to fight about that some more... 

metadave wrote:
The vitalmtb forum getting ready to argue about electronic shifting, me included

The vitalmtb forum getting ready to argue about electronic shifting, me included hart-foundationjpg.jpg?VersionId=SoPualNGaDqkDC

Hitman, and the Heart foundation-absolute legends!

dolface
Fantasy
594th
8/25/2024 10:56am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2024 10:58am

On-the-fly adjustable geo:

mrpfp
Fantasy
738th
8/25/2024 11:56am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2024 11:57am
lando wrote:
Agreed. It feels like pinkbike vibes have entered the chat recently. There was once a time when I read pinkbike to be entertained by bufoons and...

Agreed. It feels like pinkbike vibes have entered the chat recently. There was once a time when I read pinkbike to be entertained by bufoons and would read vital for core-guy insider info and stoke. Seems like some of the pink-dweeb arguing bled into the vital forums.

Partially due to some people’s need to be the cool guy and mention how they “already saw this on Vital”. 

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
8/25/2024 2:35pm

Who was asking about making ebikes lighter?

brash
8/25/2024 3:25pm

I cant go a week without seeing a Merida E160 battery cover on the trails, only thing I see more of is those SRAM DUB BB caps.

boozed
8/25/2024 5:05pm
dolface wrote:

Are the seat tube angle and effective top tube the only dimensions that change here?

I suppose a flex top tube is novel...

Onawalk
8/25/2024 5:43pm
Onawalk wrote:

lando wrote:
Agreed. It feels like pinkbike vibes have entered the chat recently. There was once a time when I read pinkbike to be entertained by bufoons and...

Agreed. It feels like pinkbike vibes have entered the chat recently. There was once a time when I read pinkbike to be entertained by bufoons and would read vital for core-guy insider info and stoke. Seems like some of the pink-dweeb arguing bled into the vital forums.

Just feels different.

Like we are all welcome to our opinions, but that doesnt make them right, certinally doesnt make them right for someone else.

You might like Shimano brakes, I might prefer SRAM, doesnt make you right and me wrong, or vice versa....just differing opinions.  And contrary to what American popular media would have you believe, it doesnt mean that we cant get along.  

bikes are cool, and thats rad

jofournier
8/25/2024 5:46pm

2 rumors, 1 leading to another... Part of it might have been discussed previously, but I couldn't find any references in the thread.

Devinci is launching a new Troy, sometime in September. There staff openly talk about it. Made of aluminum only, welded in Canada, with frame storage, will have mullet capabilities. Rear travel goes to 150, with 160 fork. Reach is growing about 5 mm. All SRAM builds. Top one with GX AXS t-type. The less expensive build are NX.

This release has been pushed back by more then 6 months now. Shop employees are saying there is an embargo on the mid tier model, which would not be AXS, but a new cable actuated GX t-type.

Any body here has heard anything regarding the new drive train?

Onawalk
8/25/2024 5:48pm
dolface wrote:

The finish on this bike is pretty cool, and its a very interesting idea.  I dont always need more travel, but a slacker HA, and longer WB on my short travel bike could be interesting.

MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
8/25/2024 6:14pm
dolface wrote:

Onawalk wrote:
The finish on this bike is pretty cool, and its a very interesting idea.  I dont always need more travel, but a slacker HA, and longer...

The finish on this bike is pretty cool, and its a very interesting idea.  I dont always need more travel, but a slacker HA, and longer WB on my short travel bike could be interesting.

Does it actually slacken the head tube angle? Looks to me like it just adjusts the seat tube back or forward changing STA and Top tube length. Could help a bit with fit i guess but even then it doesnt look like it could effect reach at all so im struggling to see how this is actually useful

smelly
8/25/2024 6:21pm
MauiMax wrote:
Does it actually slacken the head tube angle? Looks to me like it just adjusts the seat tube back or forward changing STA and Top tube...

Does it actually slacken the head tube angle? Looks to me like it just adjusts the seat tube back or forward changing STA and Top tube length. Could help a bit with fit i guess but even then it doesnt look like it could effect reach at all so im struggling to see how this is actually useful

Correct - but it changes the ETT (which is more noticeable anyway - actually this device highlights how useless reach is as a frame measurement), and STA - minght be a nice change for different types of pedaling. 
Not my cup of a tea, but a clever, well implemented idea

MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
8/25/2024 6:31pm
MauiMax wrote:
Does it actually slacken the head tube angle? Looks to me like it just adjusts the seat tube back or forward changing STA and Top tube...

smelly wrote:
Correct - but it changes the ETT (which is more noticeable anyway - actually this device highlights how useless reach is as a frame measurement), and...

Correct - but it changes the ETT (which is more noticeable anyway - actually this device highlights how useless reach is as a frame measurement), and STA - minght be a nice change for different types of pedaling. 
Not my cup of a tea, but a clever, well implemented idea

Thats fair but from what i understand it depends on the type of riding too. ETT change helps with seated position so it might be great for cross country or light trail. I dont think reach is useless though cause ETT doesnt effect much once your standing up however reach does. For downhill or enduro i think reach would be more important than ETT since your standing up on the peddles and not sitting down on the seat going down a rough trail

Uncle Cliffy
8/25/2024 7:23pm
MauiMax wrote:
Thats fair but from what i understand it depends on the type of riding too. ETT change helps with seated position so it might be great...

Thats fair but from what i understand it depends on the type of riding too. ETT change helps with seated position so it might be great for cross country or light trail. I dont think reach is useless though cause ETT doesnt effect much once your standing up however reach does. For downhill or enduro i think reach would be more important than ETT since your standing up on the peddles and not sitting down on the seat going down a rough trail

Yep. I watched an interview with the guy who built this bike, and it was an idea based on the type of riding in his area. A lot of rolling terrain with some climbing here and there. A lot more time in the saddle apparently.

As a really tall person, I absolutely love steeper seat angles. Most of my riding is peddling up to go down. 

8/25/2024 7:42pm
jofournier wrote:
2 rumors, 1 leading to another... Part of it might have been discussed previously, but I couldn't find any references in the thread.Devinci is launching a...

2 rumors, 1 leading to another... Part of it might have been discussed previously, but I couldn't find any references in the thread.

Devinci is launching a new Troy, sometime in September. There staff openly talk about it. Made of aluminum only, welded in Canada, with frame storage, will have mullet capabilities. Rear travel goes to 150, with 160 fork. Reach is growing about 5 mm. All SRAM builds. Top one with GX AXS t-type. The less expensive build are NX.

This release has been pushed back by more then 6 months now. Shop employees are saying there is an embargo on the mid tier model, which would not be AXS, but a new cable actuated GX t-type.

I think mechanical t-type is inevitable. There is a schematic for frames on the UDH website that includes a cable stop. Posted a pic of it months ago. I can try to find it again when I get back to my computer.

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
8/25/2024 9:01pm
jofournier wrote:
2 rumors, 1 leading to another... Part of it might have been discussed previously, but I couldn't find any references in the thread.Devinci is launching a...

There have been constant rumors of a cable operated Transmission since before the release of the current XX, X0, GX lineup. 

8/26/2024 12:06am

Anyone heard rumours of a new SantaCruz Heckler (full power) coming out?

8/26/2024 12:19am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2024 12:22am

Seems strange for SC to have two different brands of motors across their eeb range - such a boutique brand running two motors that have both been plagued with issues (everyone I know with a Shimano motor has had it replaced multiple times and there’s a lot of talk in the forums about fazua’a unreliability).

Bosch have proven to be reliable units and they make a solid full power and lighter weight motor, yes they’re more expensive in terms of the bikes you see them on but SC are up there in price anyway so surely it would make sense to have the best of the best 🤷🏻‍♂️

If they moved over to Bosch and brought out a bullit SL I think I would finally crumble and swap my nomad 6 out for one 

8/26/2024 12:27am
jofournier wrote:

Sounds nice and i'm all for cable drvetrains, but isn't the GX a higher group  than the OEM AXS group, what was it called - S1000 or something? Wouldn't they be around the same money? 

austin-NC
Fantasy
1461st
8/26/2024 5:22am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2024 5:22am
Hey guys, I can’t find the post anymore, it’s been a few months at this point, someone mentioned specialized’s releases for this year - it was...

Hey guys, I can’t find the post anymore, it’s been a few months at this point, someone mentioned specialized’s releases for this year - it was a statement from a British bike journalist if I remember correctly. Was it mentioned that the new Enduro would be out this year? Any rumors on the Alu Stumpjumper? Maybe y’all can help a brother out. 

The other rumor is that there wont be a bike in speshs line up between the stumpy and the demo - although i have zero evidence...

The other rumor is that there wont be a bike in speshs line up between the stumpy and the demo - although i have zero evidence to back up this claim

Source - a British mtb journalist

DylanJM wrote:
But there already is, the Status 2 (assuming we are going by travel). I can't see them dropping the Enduro completely. Maybe it won't get refreshed this...

But there already is, the Status 2 (assuming we are going by travel). 

I can't see them dropping the Enduro completely. Maybe it won't get refreshed this year but I'm sure it will in 2025. 

Id also be surprised if they got rid of the Enduro completely. I feel like when the Enduro came out all the bike companies sort of flagship bikes they pushed were the 160ish enduro bikes with all the newest tech and marketing behind them. Nowadays everyone is sort of making their 140-150mm "all mountain" bikes their main focus. 

Maybe bikes and components have gotten so good that what people needed a 160mm burly enduro bike for 5 years ago they can do with a 140mm bike with some heavy tires and a flip chip in a different position. 

8/26/2024 6:10am
jofournier wrote:

A guy I know who is involved with a bike brand said it’s coming soon-ish. Brands apparently have the specs already. 

8/26/2024 6:28am

Cable transmission is inevitable, it's just a question of maximizing the novelty and adoption rate of the higher end battery stuff. As that falls off, cable transmission sweeps in to round up the battery hold outs... personally, I'm interested, but going to be tough to get me away from Linkglide.

That new Troy sounds like a great update to an already incredible bike...I just hope it's got at least an option for a decently long rear end.

lcgrant
Fantasy
1180th
8/26/2024 6:37am

A release from Shimano? New Saint for world champs? Di2 XTR?

Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 7.35.20%E2%80%AFAM 0.png?VersionId=4sd

lloyd506
Fantasy
213th
8/26/2024 7:24am

The next year have some big things coming from shimano. About time, but as a paying custom like the facts that shimano products usually come more refined as sram product first release the consumer is part of the trial phase. 

starlord22
8/26/2024 9:52am
austin-NC wrote:
Id also be surprised if they got rid of the Enduro completely. I feel like when the Enduro came out all the bike companies sort of...

Id also be surprised if they got rid of the Enduro completely. I feel like when the Enduro came out all the bike companies sort of flagship bikes they pushed were the 160ish enduro bikes with all the newest tech and marketing behind them. Nowadays everyone is sort of making their 140-150mm "all mountain" bikes their main focus. 

Maybe bikes and components have gotten so good that what people needed a 160mm burly enduro bike for 5 years ago they can do with a 140mm bike with some heavy tires and a flip chip in a different position. 

No concrete information but I spoke with a person who works at specialized and his comments aligned with the same rumors some folks have echoed already.  Enduro will get updated with UDH next year and nothing else.

NicoZesty96
8/26/2024 1:33pm
Slavid666 wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C_HO0Msybr-/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==Pretty interested to see this come to reality, especially since it should be completely rebuildable. Shimano not having any real parts to keep a derailleur...

https://www.instagram.com/p/C_HO0Msybr-/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Pretty interested to see this come to reality, especially since it should be completely rebuildable. Shimano not having any real parts to keep a derailleur alive has caused my derailleur graveyard to grow quite a bit as of recently…

True, although you get a full xt deralieur for the price of a gx transmission cage 

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest