MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
bizutch
Fantasy
655th
8/30/2024 8:25am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2024 8:28am
Something on AP upper fork. Could be another version of a mass damper?I also noticed his rocker link has a flip chip at the top shock...

Something on AP upper fork. Could be another version of a mass damper?

I also noticed his rocker link has a flip chip at the top shock mount. He’s back on the steel chainstay as well, which is switched from all the photos early this week. Lots going on with this machine! 

IMG 3732.jpeg?VersionId=kVSRXIMG 3734

Pretty sure I saw a silver one sticking off the left side of a Fox fork with the number plate carved out around it. If someone posted it and I'm late to the game...apologies.

It was stupid obvious of course. But I'm not Lawnmower Man...yet.
Yeah...so what is this thing? 

gibbon
8/30/2024 8:49am
Dave_Camp wrote:
Who’s gonna be the hero to make a mass damper with only parts from Home Depot?I’m thinking PVC pipe and caps, springs from the random hardware...

Who’s gonna be the hero to make a mass damper with only parts from Home Depot?

I’m thinking PVC pipe and caps, springs from the random hardware section and maybe a stack of nuts on a piece of all thread for the weight. Bushings smaller pvc pipe?  

Edit- springs could be bungee cords too. That would be ideal. Nice and progressive 

segamethod
Fantasy
8th
8/30/2024 8:53am
Dave_Camp wrote:
Who’s gonna be the hero to make a mass damper with only parts from Home Depot?I’m thinking PVC pipe and caps, springs from the random hardware...

I’m thinking PVC pipe and caps, springs from the random hardware section and maybe a stack of nuts on a piece of all thread for the weight. Bushings smaller pvc pipe?  

Edit- springs could be bungee cords too. That would be ideal. Nice and progressive 

A cobbled together Home Depot shake weight might give some pleasant placebo effect, but I suspect that’s about it. They’re formally called Tuned Mass Dampers because the mass, spring rate, and damping coefficient are tuned to the application, with knowledge of the system mass and the spectrum of vibration input/output, to reduce the amplitude of system resonances. 

DH/park riding is absolutely a valid use case for a TMD. I’m honestly considering if I want to invest in some accelerometers and data acquisition and take a stab at designing a commercial product, but I imagine I would be late to the party anyway considering how many of these things we’re suddenly seeing around the DH circuit circa now, and I am pretty sure the actual market for these would be small unless sales were driven by a marketing engine as powerful as SRAM’s.

bizutch
Fantasy
655th
8/30/2024 9:12am
Dave_Camp wrote:

segamethod wrote:
A cobbled together Home Depot shake weight might give some pleasant placebo effect, but I suspect that’s about it. They’re formally called Tuned Mass Dampers because...

A cobbled together Home Depot shake weight might give some pleasant placebo effect, but I suspect that’s about it. They’re formally called Tuned Mass Dampers because the mass, spring rate, and damping coefficient are tuned to the application, with knowledge of the system mass and the spectrum of vibration input/output, to reduce the amplitude of system resonances. 

DH/park riding is absolutely a valid use case for a TMD. I’m honestly considering if I want to invest in some accelerometers and data acquisition and take a stab at designing a commercial product, but I imagine I would be late to the party anyway considering how many of these things we’re suddenly seeing around the DH circuit circa now, and I am pretty sure the actual market for these would be small unless sales were driven by a marketing engine as powerful as SRAM’s.

Shake weight science:
Saturday Night Live – Ryan Phillippe/Ke$ha | CliqueClack TV

8/30/2024 9:46am

I want to know more about those single wall ENVE rims! 

They might not be single wall, just slim, but they sure look like it. 

The profile looks very similar to the Crankbrothers Synthesis carbon wheels which was the original low profile carbon wheel, and they were co-designed by Jason Schiers (Enve founder) and Mello Bouwmeester (single wall carbon rim designer). Jason was working with a design consulting firm SR56 up until recently, so I wonder if he had any input/involvement in the new lower profile design, and maybe even an agreement with crankbrothers that no one else could use that design for 5 years?

ryan_daugherty
Fantasy
2201st
8/30/2024 10:23am

Looked through the thread and didn't see anything on this bike. New Obrea or just some rebadged bike I'm brainfarting on? 

OrbeaDH
Simcik
8/30/2024 10:35am
Looked through the thread and didn't see anything on this bike. New Obrea or just some rebadged bike I'm brainfarting on? 

OrbeaDH

Isn't that their e-bike with a DH link and a dual crown? Motor and battery removed

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
8/30/2024 10:48am

maes is on the un-motored ebike (below). bike above looks different.

Screen Shot 2024-08-30 at 11.46.41 AM.png?VersionId=0j63Ff7wkllMGSRbOdH 09l3uR0kcy
veefour
Fantasy
315th
8/30/2024 10:52am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2024 10:54am

OrbeaDH
Simcik wrote:

Isn't that their e-bike with a DH link and a dual crown? Motor and battery removed

No, shock position is wrong for either of their e-bikes. I think if it is an Orbea it's something new.

Edit; Sspomer beat me to it. 😆

bermed
8/30/2024 11:15am

There's chatter of updates to the Rocky Mountain Element for 2025. Anyone heard anything more concrete?

theweaz
8/30/2024 11:20am
nsp234 wrote:

I know you're joking, but nevertheless to me it looks like "mineral oil" is written on that bottle

Shimano started distributing the motoroex bike line of fluids semi recently so my money is on them testing motorex mineral oil, the color looks to match also. 

nicompr
8/30/2024 11:29am

Seems like a new enduro bike from Sunn is coming 

1000012497 0.png?VersionId=g
bikelurker
8/30/2024 11:31am
sspomer wrote:
dak in action. let's take in all the bike-calming parts on this bike. pic by Jack Ricesprung mass dealie, e13 sidekick hub and STFU. and that's...

dak in action. let's take in all the bike-calming parts on this bike. pic by Jack Rice

sprung mass dealie, e13 sidekick hub and STFU. and that's just what we can see. considering 2nd thru 11th place were separated by just 2 seconds in qualifying yesterday, i'd be all about zen'ing the crap out of my bike too! his hair has to damp the movement of his head too, so double win.

dakAttak.jpg?VersionId=3gAv

Man, it might feel good but it looks freaking awfull

therock911
8/30/2024 11:40am
nicompr wrote:

Holy brake mount!

8/30/2024 12:27pm
nicompr wrote:

Might be a high pivot? The chain looks to directed towards the upper pivot rather than the chainring. 

8/30/2024 12:42pm
Dave_Camp wrote:

I've still got random hardware sitting in my drawer from about 10 years ago for playing with the idea, including a pile of lead fishing weights! I started making something for inside the headtube but never got it on the trail. Had good results with fixing brake vibration on my Transition with 200mm rotors though

Endurhevia
Fantasy
295th
8/30/2024 1:25pm

OrbeaDH

Looks like a sender to me

858to253
8/30/2024 3:38pm
bermed wrote:

There's chatter of updates to the Rocky Mountain Element for 2025. Anyone heard anything more concrete?

I have heard multiple rumors of it going to a flex pivot (just like seemingly every other recent  XC bike release). Nothing on the record though.

8/31/2024 6:08am

OrbeaDH

This is a Canyon Sender with orbea Stickers 

nskerb
8/31/2024 8:39am
I'm old enough to remember Bontrager Buzzkills. Looks like there are some on eBay, I should scoop them up, triple the price, and call them...

I'm old enough to remember Bontrager Buzzkills. Looks like there are some on eBay, I should scoop them up, triple the price, and call them World Cup DH Bar Plugs.

Screen Shot 2024-08-30 at 2.25.03 PM.png?VersionId=et

I'd have to swing by my parents house to check but 99% sure my mom has an old trek road bike that has those! Maybe I can sell them and get rich. 

Also that bike has a decal near the bottom bracket that says official bike of Lance Armstrong and the years of his 7 TdF titles... Lol. 

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
8/31/2024 10:26am

world champs DH bike slowmo for more dissecting and screengrabbing

8/31/2024 8:18pm

I hated TRP DHR evos, Hand cramps from the terrible levers, leaking calipers... calipers Couldnt be bled properly and had to be pulled apart and reassembled with fresh purge...

Jakub_G
9/1/2024 5:49am
nicompr wrote:

Looks like range and demo prototype combo, could be interesting 🤔

9/1/2024 8:28am

That Sunn bike is definitely high-pivot, the chain is too high. Looks like the uside-down horst-link Norco is utilizing on the Range. Smile

Also that brake adapter screams 220mm rotor to me! 😁

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest