MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
9/4/2024 10:38am
nskerb wrote:
It seems like the new hot thing is to want steeper head tube angles. It seems like a counter culture thing but who knows lol. I...

It seems like the new hot thing is to want steeper head tube angles. It seems like a counter culture thing but who knows lol. I guess I’m still living in the (recent) past. In highschool i rode a 2001 trek fuel that felt like it was actively trying to OTB and kill me. I still really like really slack trail bikes. Give me a 150mm bike with a 63° head tube angle and I’ll be happier than a pig in shit.

for the bike we are talking about being the sentinel, its awfully unbalanced and steepening the HTA fixes alot of that trait.
For whatever reason that setup just isnt balanced unless you point it down double blacks every time you ride it.

9/4/2024 11:15am

Some more detailed photos of the Commencal V5 steel chainstay on Myriam's bike during a bike check video.  She says, "It can change the flexibility.. It's super interesting, I can't say more about it, but thats a good thing."  There is also a removable stiffening plate, I assume they can change the thickness and shape of this to adjust flex.IMG 3788

IMG 3792.JPG?VersionId=IjKa81e

I also noticed the lower link is much longer than stock.  Not sure if they are trying to change the leverage ratio or give the bike a more reward axle path or both?!

IMG 3790.jpg?VersionId=R7zVz5B0GzpIqILLyfIMG 3791.JPG?VersionId=r5Ghdh
FaahkEet
9/4/2024 11:19am

Is that grip tape on her crank arms?

seanfisseli
9/4/2024 11:58am
nskerb wrote:
It seems like the new hot thing is to want steeper head tube angles. It seems like a counter culture thing but who knows lol. I...

It seems like the new hot thing is to want steeper head tube angles. It seems like a counter culture thing but who knows lol. I guess I’m still living in the (recent) past. In highschool i rode a 2001 trek fuel that felt like it was actively trying to OTB and kill me. I still really like really slack trail bikes. Give me a 150mm bike with a 63° head tube angle and I’ll be happier than a pig in shit.

“Oops we made front center too long and everyone is afraid to commit to proper sized rear centers but we’re all still obsessed with long reaches that lets us ‘move around in the cockpit’ (what does that mean) so we will just have to steepen the hta to try to get some more traction out of that front wheel.”

Jotegr
9/4/2024 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2024 12:02pm
nskerb wrote:

Meh, it really depends IMO. For my riding, adding an angleset to 2017-2020ish geometry bikes (which over the last 7 years I have done many times) have improved them in  every single way (downhill bikes aside).  Not to oversimplify it too much, I think there's some relationship between wheelbase and head angle that on the shorter wheelbases of yesteryear, the slacker head angle was a straight upgrade for aggressive riding. On the new long wheelbases, it's not. None of this stuff is in a vacuum. 

EDIT: Acknowledging that it probably does help, seeing o-chains on idler equipped bikes is quite funny. 

9/4/2024 12:45pm
Jotegr wrote:
Meh, it really depends IMO. For my riding, adding an angleset to 2017-2020ish geometry bikes (which over the last 7 years I have done many times)...

Meh, it really depends IMO. For my riding, adding an angleset to 2017-2020ish geometry bikes (which over the last 7 years I have done many times) have improved them in  every single way (downhill bikes aside).  Not to oversimplify it too much, I think there's some relationship between wheelbase and head angle that on the shorter wheelbases of yesteryear, the slacker head angle was a straight upgrade for aggressive riding. On the new long wheelbases, it's not. None of this stuff is in a vacuum. 

EDIT: Acknowledging that it probably does help, seeing o-chains on idler equipped bikes is quite funny. 

Just because a bike has an Idler doesn‘t mean it won‘t have pedal kickback. You can (and nearly always) have the main pivot still higher than the idler, because otherwise you would get terrible anti-squat. 
It just depends on the difference between the main pivot (instant centre) and idler location, however high they are.

ZAKBROWN!
Fantasy
229th
9/4/2024 1:13pm
nskerb wrote:

Jotegr wrote:
Meh, it really depends IMO. For my riding, adding an angleset to 2017-2020ish geometry bikes (which over the last 7 years I have done many times)...

I ran an O-chain all summer in Whistler on my Kavenz, which theoretically should have minimal kickback, and was very happy I did.  It definitely still does something to quiet down the bike and reduce feedback through the pedals, possibly just by dampening chain movement.  

FaahkEet
9/4/2024 1:22pm

it's the normal x01 dh crankset 

Thanks, don't really follow DH parts so looked different from what I normally see and was a curious why grip tape would be placed there if that was ineed the case. 

Simcik
9/4/2024 1:25pm
FaahkEet wrote:
Thanks, don't really follow DH parts so looked different from what I normally see and was a curious why grip tape would be placed there if...

Thanks, don't really follow DH parts so looked different from what I normally see and was a curious why grip tape would be placed there if that was ineed the case. 

DH cranks see a TON of shoe rub in that spot so it is there to give a little barrier from the shoes rubbing straight on the carbon arms. Enduro and trail carbon cranks will typically have clear mask on them to accomplish this but DH cranks just seem to get more rub be it BB width, conditions or terrain. Therefore they put some heavier duty protection on there. 

lickmycrinkle
9/4/2024 1:40pm
nskerb wrote:

Jotegr wrote:

ZAKBROWN! wrote:
I ran an O-chain all summer in Whistler on my Kavenz, which theoretically should have minimal kickback, and was very happy I did.  It definitely still...

I ran an O-chain all summer in Whistler on my Kavenz, which theoretically should have minimal kickback, and was very happy I did.  It definitely still does something to quiet down the bike and reduce feedback through the pedals, possibly just by dampening chain movement.  

Wet chains could well be quieter. Good theory.

Konda
9/4/2024 2:43pm

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-cues-drop-bar

More gravel than a MTB rumour (please don't nuke me),  but I'm excited to see cues brifters finally on the horizon. I have some old XT calipers in the shed which have been waiting for some hydraulic brifters.

And what are gravel bikes but 90s mtbs with drop bars? 😅

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
9/4/2024 2:49pm

Time for a “gravel rumours” thread?

boozed
9/4/2024 6:46pm
TimBud wrote:

Time for a “gravel rumours” thread?

You're already in it, all this stuff will just be (re)discovered in five years by the gravel crowd.

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
9/4/2024 8:46pm
Someone posted this guy before, which is a sick looking homemade bike. My question is, isn't the off-the-shelf oval ring clocked incorrectly because of the idler? Its...

photo

Someone posted this guy before, which is a sick looking homemade bike. 

My question is, isn't the off-the-shelf oval ring clocked incorrectly because of the idler? Its backwards, like the old 90s BioPace chainrings

It is. 

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
9/5/2024 2:24am
Jotegr wrote:

Just because a bike has an Idler doesn‘t mean it won‘t have pedal kickback. You can (and nearly always) have the main pivot still higher than...

Just because a bike has an Idler doesn‘t mean it won‘t have pedal kickback. You can (and nearly always) have the main pivot still higher than the idler, because otherwise you would get terrible anti-squat. 
It just depends on the difference between the main pivot (instant centre) and idler location, however high they are.

A high pivot point also generates anti-squat by virtue of it being situated above the rear wheel axle. When the rear wheel pushes the chain stay forward (as a result of pedaling), it wants to extend the suspension if the main pivot point is higher than the axle. This is one of the "magic ingredients" of the high-pivot design, generating anti-squat without having to rely on chain growth to do so. Yes, most typically place the idler in such a way as to generate a bit extra anti-squat as well (by placing it slightly below the high pivot), but yeah, the offset of the pivot relative to the wheel axle does a lot of the work.

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
9/5/2024 3:06am

The idler is actually placed so that it promotes squat to counter the (excessive) antisquat generated by the suspension geometry. 

It's a game of fine tuning. But in either case, when there is a change in chain length (either by generating antisquat or pro squat), an Ochain will likely have a similar effect. If nothing else, it will work k the rebound with a high pivot bike as opposed in the compression cycle with a standard pivot bike. 

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
9/5/2024 3:30am
Primoz wrote:
The idler is actually placed so that it promotes squat to counter the (excessive) antisquat generated by the suspension geometry. It's a game of fine tuning. But...

The idler is actually placed so that it promotes squat to counter the (excessive) antisquat generated by the suspension geometry. 

It's a game of fine tuning. But in either case, when there is a change in chain length (either by generating antisquat or pro squat), an Ochain will likely have a similar effect. If nothing else, it will work k the rebound with a high pivot bike as opposed in the compression cycle with a standard pivot bike. 

We’re about to derail this train again…. But how would an idler placed below the pivot point be pro-squat? The chain tension would want to extend the suspension…which is what anti-squat is. Am I missing something?

B Rabbit
9/5/2024 4:26am

From the Enduro Facebook group. Looks like the 2025 model will have a UDH chainstay update and that’s it. 

IMG 1930.jpeg?VersionId=HBNIMG 1929.jpeg?VersionId=MFdZ3EyhvCY2y JsH2Y.qIiuvC6WIMG 1928
austin-NC
Fantasy
1461st
9/5/2024 5:30am
B Rabbit wrote:
From the Enduro Facebook group. Looks like the 2025 model will have a UDH chainstay update and that’s it. 

IMG 1930.jpeg?VersionId=HBNIMG 1929.jpeg?VersionId=MFdZ3EyhvCY2y JsH2Y.qIiuvC6WIMG 1928

I kind of like that they are doing this, its a great bike and it doesn't really need an update. Does that mean that the bikes should be a little cheaper especially the frame only option since the molds are long paid for?

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
9/5/2024 5:42am
Primoz wrote:
The idler is actually placed so that it promotes squat to counter the (excessive) antisquat generated by the suspension geometry. It's a game of fine tuning. But...

iceman2058 wrote:
We’re about to derail this train again…. But how would an idler placed below the pivot point be pro-squat? The chain tension would want to extend...

We’re about to derail this train again…. But how would an idler placed below the pivot point be pro-squat? The chain tension would want to extend the suspension…which is what anti-squat is. Am I missing something?

Who said it's placed below the (virtual) pivot? Smile

I worded it badly (rushing as I was typing during work on my phone) but tried to put it in general in regards to high pivot bikes and the nuances that the suspension kinematics and the chain tension cause when it comes to antisquat. Trying to say that the chain can be used to INDUCE squat because the geometry induces suspension extension, like you mentioned. That's why I said it's a game of fine tuning - with an idler you tune the behaviour with idler placement and thus the effect of the chain on the suspension while with a standard (low) layout you tune the behaviour with pivot placement to counteract the chain induced squatting behaviour.

In this case the idler is mounted to the seatstay (iTrack patent comes into play here), so there are additional details that come into play. I haven't yet gone through how having the idler mounted to one of the links affects the situation, so it's likely it's not as clear cut (so idler below or above the virtual pivot point). I'd bet it's a combination of the relative position (below/above) AND the torque applied to the link by the position of the idler.

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
9/5/2024 6:30am
Primoz wrote:
Who said it's placed below the (virtual) pivot? :)I worded it badly (rushing as I was typing during work on my phone) but tried to put...

Who said it's placed below the (virtual) pivot? Smile

I worded it badly (rushing as I was typing during work on my phone) but tried to put it in general in regards to high pivot bikes and the nuances that the suspension kinematics and the chain tension cause when it comes to antisquat. Trying to say that the chain can be used to INDUCE squat because the geometry induces suspension extension, like you mentioned. That's why I said it's a game of fine tuning - with an idler you tune the behaviour with idler placement and thus the effect of the chain on the suspension while with a standard (low) layout you tune the behaviour with pivot placement to counteract the chain induced squatting behaviour.

In this case the idler is mounted to the seatstay (iTrack patent comes into play here), so there are additional details that come into play. I haven't yet gone through how having the idler mounted to one of the links affects the situation, so it's likely it's not as clear cut (so idler below or above the virtual pivot point). I'd bet it's a combination of the relative position (below/above) AND the torque applied to the link by the position of the idler.

👍

gibbon
9/5/2024 6:36am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2024 7:05am
austin-NC wrote:
I kind of like that they are doing this, its a great bike and it doesn't really need an update. Does that mean that the bikes...

I kind of like that they are doing this, its a great bike and it doesn't really need an update. Does that mean that the bikes should be a little cheaper especially the frame only option since the molds are long paid for?

Yeah right! 
That said Hope actually did this. They calculated an amortized cost for the carbon bike including development time etc but then after a while they realized they had learnt so much from the project that could be applied to other carbon products and help to spread the sunk costs. So they dropped the price by £1000 (iirc) and gave a rebate to all the original customers!
This is very Hope-like. 
In the Uk there was/is a salary sacrifice scheme you can use for buying a bike and save 25-30%. Hope signed up but it was a lot of paper work. So they just bought bikes for the staff instead .
They used to run the machines 24hr with a night shift but came to realise how bad for your health working nights is........so they scrapped it.
They were going to spend £2.5 million on a building a Velodrome......because the nearest one in Manchester is super busy (mostly because of the GB cycling team) and difficult for people to use.
I got to know Simon (One of the Hope CEOs) a little and have visited the factories a few times.They are super nice.

veefour
Fantasy
315th
9/5/2024 6:44am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2024 6:50am
austin-NC wrote:
I kind of like that they are doing this, its a great bike and it doesn't really need an update. Does that mean that the bikes...

gibbon wrote:
Yeah right! That said Hope actually did this. They calculated an amortized cost for the carbon bike including development time etc but then after a while they...

Yeah right! 
That said Hope actually did this. They calculated an amortized cost for the carbon bike including development time etc but then after a while they realized they had learnt so much from the project that could be applied to other carbon products and help to spread the sunk costs. So they dropped the price by £1000 (iirc) and gave a rebate to all the original customers!
This is very Hope-like. 
In the Uk there was/is a salary sacrifice scheme you can use for buying a bike and save 25-30%. Hope signed up but it was a lot of paper work. So they just bought bikes for the staff instead .
They used to run the machines 24hr with a night shift but came to realise how bad for your health working nights is........so they scrapped it.
They were going to spend £2.5 million on a building a Velodrome......because the nearest one in Manchester is super busy (mostly because of the GB cycling team) and difficult for people to use.
I got to know Simon (One of the Hope CEOs) a little and have visited the factories a few times.They are super nice.

Hope is a great company with admirable business practices. Then there's Specialized....they've made some great bikes (I've owned a few), but when it comes to business practices, not so great.

jeff.brines
9/5/2024 7:47am

Specialized has done some questionable things, especially on the legal end, but I don't feel pricing is an area they are adrift. After all, this isn't AIDS medication or some good/service needed for survival. 

They should price at whatever level they feel the market will pay for their product. If they are wrong, nobody buys their stuff. Their loss. There is also a lot of nuance around product pricing and the underlying psychology around it. I'm not sure they'll actually sell more if they cut enduro pricing $500. Its a premium product, and people are generally okay paying more or "premium" (whatever that is). 

We don't point the finger at toyota to drop the price of the Tacoma if a generation gets long in the tooth. Maybe they end up doing so if supply backs up, but if the market is in equilibrium, pricing is...pricing. 

9/5/2024 7:51am

B-Practice Podcast at around the 30 minute mark, Dak „we should talk more about this in two months“

I‘m calling the Maxxis Radial Casing - or something similar.

Having ridden the new Schwalbe Tire on my DH Bike last weekend I can say that it is a very noticeable feel difference, exactly the thing everybody talks about in the reviews.

Not sure if it‘s the „next revolution“ but I would be surprised if other tire companies would miss out on this technology.

Suns_PSD
9/5/2024 8:13am
pinkrobe wrote:
I was at a dealer today, and they said that the new Sentinel was coming with internal storage and longer/lower/slacker treatment. Soonish.Also, alloy Stumpy 15 release...

I was at a dealer today, and they said that the new Sentinel was coming with internal storage and longer/lower/slacker treatment. Soonish.

Also, alloy Stumpy 15 release pushed back to spring/summer 2025.

The sentinel doesnt need the lower or slacker treatment... it 100% needs steeper & longer.best upgrade you can make to a sentinel is a 1deg headset...

The sentinel doesnt need the lower or slacker treatment... it 100% needs steeper & longer.
best upgrade you can make to a sentinel is a 1deg headset to steepen the HTA. 

You're living in 2026. We got more reach, we got steeper seat tubes, now stays are getting longer and occasionally proportional across sizes and stack heights...

You're living in 2026. We got more reach, we got steeper seat tubes, now stays are getting longer and occasionally proportional across sizes and stack heights are growing. Next step is to figure out that the crazy front centers slack head tubes, long forks and long reaches make weighting the front wheel really hard any time you're not pointed down something steep... moderate head angles let you ride a longer reach and have room to be dynamic on the bike without it turning into a bus. Geometron is already there on their latest bike, though it's still a pretty extreme take.

I do think bike geo will continue to evolve and I'd like to see taller stacks, longer chainstays, shorter stems in that 30mm range, and a bit steeper HTA of around 64.2' for even big bikes. This should result in a more upright position, better front wheel traction, the ability to manual easily, a lot of resistance to going OTB, while still managing overall length.

B Rabbit
9/5/2024 8:28am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2024 8:29am
B Rabbit wrote:

austin-NC wrote:

I’ve got one and it really does need an update IMO.  Adjustable geo from the stumpy Evo and an steeper seat tube would be nice. 
I’m have no idea why the didn’t do this, then go the new design in a year or twos time. 
And cheaper? Lol, that’s very wishful thinking Smile  

NoahColorado
Fantasy
2423rd
9/5/2024 8:41am
austin-NC wrote:

If product life cycle length influenced pricing Shimano Saint would be free by now. 😆

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest