MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
9/9/2024 11:32am
TimBud wrote:

Yeah, I got the impression it was a price point, not a performance thing

Im not too sure because for rockshox they spec a vivid and ohlins is a ttx coil. How much money do you think an x2 would add over a float x? Looks like a 100 dollar price difference. Theres gotta be more of a reason to it than making the frame 4000 vs 4100. I really think they wanted to keep the float x and tuned specifically for their frame for it being a simpler shock with less adjustments to keep it easier for the end user to get the bike feeling good. He also said something about that in the video too. 

Heres what it has on the frameworks site but for dhx vs dhx2 : 

Working closely with Fox, we were able to develop a custom tune for our kinematics that gave us the numbers we were looking for in the simpler monotube shock. The adjustment range is smaller than the DHX2, but still gives us a wider window of adjustment than we have used. Neko and Asa raced with this shock the second half of the season.

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
9/9/2024 11:40am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2024 11:43am
TimBud wrote:

MauiMax wrote:
Im not too sure because for rockshox they spec a vivid and ohlins is a ttx coil. How much money do you think an x2 would...

Im not too sure because for rockshox they spec a vivid and ohlins is a ttx coil. How much money do you think an x2 would add over a float x? Looks like a 100 dollar price difference. Theres gotta be more of a reason to it than making the frame 4000 vs 4100. I really think they wanted to keep the float x and tuned specifically for their frame for it being a simpler shock with less adjustments to keep it easier for the end user to get the bike feeling good. He also said something about that in the video too. 

Working closely with Fox, we were able to develop a custom tune for our kinematics that gave us the numbers we were looking for in the simpler monotube shock. The adjustment range is smaller than the DHX2, but still gives us a wider window of adjustment than we have used. Neko and Asa raced with this shock the second half of the season.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 2.39.54%E2%80%AFPM.png?VersionId=7vViG m59HvQsScreenshot 2024-09-09 at 2.41.57%E2%80%AFPM.png?VersionId=YOCmBo3659PobqrA.Rt xvR28S3Q0T
seanfisseli
9/9/2024 12:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2024 12:28pm
TimBud wrote:

A lot of folks are favoring the float x over the x2 on their enduro bikes. Same thing over in rockshox land, there are a lot of riders who don’t see any benefit to running a vivid over an sdu. When you look at how people are running the big shocks it seems like they have to stuff them full of tokens, which then defeats the point of running a big shock. I guess you can get a little more control through the real rough sections but I don’t know first hand because I can’t fit an x2 on my bike. Hoping to try a vivid to see how much of a difference it makes…

MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
9/9/2024 1:29pm
TimBud wrote:

MauiMax wrote:
Im not too sure because for rockshox they spec a vivid and ohlins is a ttx coil. How much money do you think an x2 would...

chriskief wrote:
Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 2.39.54%E2%80%AFPM.png?VersionId=7vViG m59HvQsScreenshot 2024-09-09 at 2.41.57%E2%80%AFPM.png?VersionId=YOCmBo3659PobqrA.Rt xvR28S3Q0T

I did notice he was running the x2 on the dh bike for the last 2 races. I messaged them and asked about that and they actually changed the linkage to make it a bit less progressive so he could run the x2 instead of the coil. They said the main reason he did that was because he wanted more bottom out resistance and more support than the dhx. They changed the linkage so that he would still get the sensitivity off the top but with the extra bottom out of the air shock. I dont know how many volume spacers hes running in it though or what they changed the progression ratio to

MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
9/9/2024 1:30pm

I think the float x was also partially for more versatility than the x2. Its probably a bit better on the mellower trails than the x2 and still has plenty in it for park riding and dh trails. 

MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
9/9/2024 1:31pm

Im still considering getting an x2 to try on mine and have that and the float x. Probably eventually try a coil on it as well. 

Nobble
9/9/2024 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2024 3:50pm

I know a few fast people who are on the DHX/Float X for DH use.

The story I’ve heard is that it’s cheap, reliable and responds very well to retuning. It has less external adjustability than an X2, but if it’s tuned for you that doesn’t really matter.

boozed
9/9/2024 9:49pm
TimBud wrote:

A lot of folks are favoring the float x over the x2 on their enduro bikes. Same thing over in rockshox land, there are a lot...

A lot of folks are favoring the float x over the x2 on their enduro bikes. Same thing over in rockshox land, there are a lot of riders who don’t see any benefit to running a vivid over an sdu. When you look at how people are running the big shocks it seems like they have to stuff them full of tokens, which then defeats the point of running a big shock. I guess you can get a little more control through the real rough sections but I don’t know first hand because I can’t fit an x2 on my bike. Hoping to try a vivid to see how much of a difference it makes…

How similar are Fox's X and X2 dampers?  The SDLX and Vivid have very similar dampers so the difference there is mostly in tuning the air spring.

SteveClimber
Fantasy
2245th
9/9/2024 10:47pm
TimBud wrote:

A lot of folks are favoring the float x over the x2 on their enduro bikes. Same thing over in rockshox land, there are a lot...

boozed wrote:
How similar are Fox's X and X2 dampers?  The SDLX and Vivid have very similar dampers so the difference there is mostly in tuning the air...

How similar are Fox's X and X2 dampers?  The SDLX and Vivid have very similar dampers so the difference there is mostly in tuning the air spring.

Different from a tuning perspective. 

Out of the box, not very different for an average rider.

A well tuned shock of any variant will always beat an un-tuned shock of another design.

Ones twin tube (X2) one is monotube. If you want to learn more id go watch this video:

seanfisseli
9/9/2024 11:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2024 7:42am

boozed wrote:
How similar are Fox's X and X2 dampers?  The SDLX and Vivid have very similar dampers so the difference there is mostly in tuning the air...

Different from a tuning perspective. Out of the box, not very different for an average rider.A well tuned shock of any variant will always beat an un-tuned...

Different from a tuning perspective. 

Out of the box, not very different for an average rider.

A well tuned shock of any variant will always beat an un-tuned shock of another design.

Ones twin tube (X2) one is monotube. If you want to learn more id go watch this video:

Neko mentioned working with Fox and having good results with monotube shocks in the enduro frame launch vid and I didn’t really know what that meant. Today I learned a new thing, but damn if it wont take me good long while to fully understand it 

Seagrave7
9/10/2024 9:29am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2024 9:31am

Looks like Spec launched new colors for the Turbo Levo SL and more interesting they also quietly launched a new Genie Float X.  Basically a Genie with an extra Reservoir.  

96825-01 LEVO-SL-SW-CARBON-UL-BRNTNT-GUN-ASHGRY D4-STTT.jpeg?VersionId=SDytvAj V1wjCIkoZ3TurBdm16JRtp

96825-01 LEVO-SL-SW-CARBON-UL-BRNTNT-GUN-ASHGRY D1-POV 0.jpeg?VersionId=VbT4qN9A9hkXp8qcRaUQ4
jgaube
9/10/2024 10:30am

I wish this would have been an option on my Stumpy 15.  I’ve really been liking the Genie coming from a Vivid Air and SD air but it gets noticeably hot on long descents and changes feel.  This might have fixed that.

seanfisseli
9/10/2024 12:04pm
jgaube wrote:
I wish this would have been an option on my Stumpy 15.  I’ve really been liking the Genie coming from a Vivid Air and SD air...

I wish this would have been an option on my Stumpy 15.  I’ve really been liking the Genie coming from a Vivid Air and SD air but it gets noticeably hot on long descents and changes feel.  This might have fixed that.

Yeah but how else are they going to differentiate the stumpy 15 from the stumpy 15 evo?

NicoZesty96
9/10/2024 12:26pm
jgaube wrote:
I wish this would have been an option on my Stumpy 15.  I’ve really been liking the Genie coming from a Vivid Air and SD air...

Yeah but how else are they going to differentiate the stumpy 15 from the stumpy 15 evo?

if they actually do an evo version, might just be a buildkit that comes with that shock i guess, still curious why not going with the piggy back design on the stumpy tho

WMullins
9/10/2024 1:06pm
TimBud wrote:

The real hack is to pickup the linear XL can for the new SDU. Did that on my 160mm enduro bike and added significantly better sensitivity whilst not having to run a comically large shock. I'm only 165 lb's suited up but I ride fairly aggressively and even over full park runs I haven't been able overheat the thing. Rode an X2 prior to that and have been able to briefly ride a couple Vivids, would buy for a DH rig but don't think it's worth the $$$/weight on anything meant to go uphill.

bermed
9/10/2024 2:43pm

Fox Genie fork incoming? AKA a fork with a larger air spring and piston.

The other site has an article on the Genie-equiped Levo SL, and they write "Word is a fork equivalent on the dual-stage air spring is under development."

Nobble
9/10/2024 2:52pm
bermed wrote:
Fox Genie fork incoming? AKA a fork with a larger air spring and piston.The other site has an article on the Genie-equiped Levo SL, and they...

Fox Genie fork incoming? AKA a fork with a larger air spring and piston.

The other site has an article on the Genie-equiped Levo SL, and they write "Word is a fork equivalent on the dual-stage air spring is under development."

I imagine it would be fairly easy to implement if you started with a twin tube air spring design like the 38.

seanfisseli
9/10/2024 3:40pm
jgaube wrote:

if they actually do an evo version, might just be a buildkit that comes with that shock i guess, still curious why not going with the...

if they actually do an evo version, might just be a buildkit that comes with that shock i guess, still curious why not going with the piggy back design on the stumpy tho

Sorry, I missed the “if” part of your post. 

A speci rep said in an interview that they were saving the Evo name for a bike that really lived up to the title. Obviously they would hold back the piggyback for that bike. Overall it will be a heavier build, maybe different kinematics?!? So they are going to want to make the reg stumpy seem lighter and more trail by comparison. 

kingsleyrh
9/10/2024 11:42pm

Finally Finally! Specialized giving the people what they want!

lickmycrinkle
9/11/2024 12:05am

The people want a €3.6k metal bike with deore and xfusion?

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
9/11/2024 12:34am
DylanJM wrote:
kingsleyrh wrote:

It's a 3,6k € Specialized.

Nico_Hrndz
Fantasy
699th
9/11/2024 12:49am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2024 12:50am

wait, Psylo ? 

edit: just realized it had been released already. My bad

Capture d%27%C3%A9cran 2024-09-11 094759
Eoin
Fantasy
62nd
9/11/2024 1:40am

Pretty much inline with Spesh pricing for a while now. My 2014 enduro AL with rubbish parts was over 3k. 

7k for a levo SL frame is blowing my mind though.

Can only imagine how expensive and poorly equipped the new Levo's will be, apparently the release has been pushed back again, might be quite outdated by the time they announce it. 

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
9/11/2024 1:50am

The biggest problem with rubbish parts is the rubbish shock that is mostly a big pain to upgrade due to the size and tune that you need to match to the bike. 

Too bad Gabel Profi went under, back in the day you could get any single part for Rock Shox shocks and even have a custom valves shock ordered for not much premium over an otherwise off the shelf shock. 

9/11/2024 2:30am

That Pro/Expert looks mullet to me....anyone else?

NicoZesty96
9/11/2024 2:51am

New production Phoenix on the latest issue of Enduro MTB

kingsleyrh
9/11/2024 2:54am
DylanJM wrote:
kingsleyrh wrote:

Oh yes!

bikelurker
9/11/2024 3:20am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2024 3:23am

The rear tire says infact 27.5

Seems odd to me that they come specced with SLX, aren't we waiting for mechanical transmision? Maybe its a mockup photo, waiting for the release

manny.bike
Fantasy
847th
9/11/2024 4:16am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2024 4:18am

New Pivot Phoenix will be out in October. 

Check out the Enduro Mag. They alreay have a test…sorry cannot not upload png to the forum. 😂

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest