MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
LePigPen
Fantasy
179th
2 hours ago
LePigPen wrote:
seeing the battery on the seat post, shock, and derailleur makes me want to huddle in a dark corner and rock myself to sleep (so i...

seeing the battery on the seat post, shock, and derailleur makes me want to huddle in a dark corner and rock myself to sleep (so i can wake up from this nightmare)

and honestly i can accept the fact that ebikes are the future and will be quite cool in the future (so maybe integrate all these parts with the ebike battery eventually?) but i think history will look back at the multiple separate batteries everywhere on the bike with a bit of a chuckle.

oh and ill just EDIT this post instead of making a new one... Specialized is hiding/blocking comments on their new Stumpy post: https://www.instagram.com/p/DATkysPtDwX/ 

Are they hiding anything negative?

you cant even comment. it may be that only 'followers' can comment. which is funny because all the comments are already about the ridiculous price. may as well just turn off comments if... they're gonna allow any at all. dunno what their goal was here. but now they have people complaining about the price AND the decision to limit comments. i mean to me the comment thing is worse than the price. i dont care if people wanna buy s works and ltd bikes. thats fine. but limiting comments is cringe. either allow all or just turn off if you wish.

Endurhevia
Fantasy
295th
2 hours ago

From Nate hills IG story

New axs dropper? With new side loading battery just like fox...

1000177132.jpg?VersionId=4g6XHPr408f1000177131.jpg?VersionId=PpMgi3YwQmxDifcvl84cHvxrfI73l8
2 hours ago
isack wrote:

The price

I think we're entering into a new pricing scheme in mtb.

And it's happening because human brains are so dumb.

Bikes are going to - over time - be priced higher and higher and higher and higher until ebikes and meatbikes (my favorite term for non-e-bikes) are almost the same price. Then mtb riders will start looking at ebikes more as a "why WOULDN'T I just get the ebike?" sort of way. Normalizing the higher meatbike price while directing more people to ebikes.

All the while, the mtb industry is Hobby Lobbying the shit out of their prices. All the meatbikes will be 20%, 30%, 40% off (after an initial full-price time period in which early-adopters, status-seekers, and no-fuss-know-what-they-want folks will buy at full price) so people FEEL like they're getting it at a bargain.

Because human brains love to get a good deal even if the prices were artificially inflated in the first place.

Jotegr
2 hours ago
isack wrote:

The price

I think we're entering into a new pricing scheme in mtb.And it's happening because human brains are so dumb.Bikes are going to - over time -...

Bikes are going to - over time - be priced higher and higher and higher and higher until ebikes and meatbikes (my favorite term for non-e-bikes) are almost the same price. Then mtb riders will start looking at ebikes more as a "why WOULDN'T I just get the ebike?" sort of way. Normalizing the higher meatbike price while directing more people to ebikes.

All the while, the mtb industry is Hobby Lobbying the shit out of their prices. All the meatbikes will be 20%, 30%, 40% off (after an initial full-price time period in which early-adopters, status-seekers, and no-fuss-know-what-they-want folks will buy at full price) so people FEEL like they're getting it at a bargain.

Because human brains love to get a good deal even if the prices were artificially inflated in the first place.

Right now the market fell out of mid and low end sales post covid. Top of the line stuff is probably chugging along just fine, as the target market is relatively recession immune, so we're going to see the eggs go into that basket for a while. 

MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
2 hours ago
isack wrote:

The price

I think we're entering into a new pricing scheme in mtb.And it's happening because human brains are so dumb.Bikes are going to - over time -...

I dont have anything to add but just wanted to say i think E-bikes and meatbikes might be my new favorite term 

MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
2 hours ago
Endurhevia wrote:
From Nate hills IG storyNew axs dropper? With new side loading battery just like fox... 

From Nate hills IG story

1000177132.jpg?VersionId=4g6XHPr408f1000177131.jpg?VersionId=PpMgi3YwQmxDifcvl84cHvxrfI73l8

Im hoping they make it in 200mm. My biggest issue with the fox one is the extra insertion depth over a mechanical dropper. I wouldnt be able to slam a 200 down to the collar where as with a pnw or one up i can on the bike im getting 

2 hours ago
jonkranked wrote:

anyone shared this yet? not exactly a secret, but this is the most official thing i've seen outside of his IG

https://www.bikemag.com/news/chris-canfield-launches-vampire-bikes

Dang that bike looks rad. I love the versatility of the three pivot locations if it really is as easy as just swapping a bolt trailside. Having the option to go from say 135-160mm vs 165-190mm of travel would be neat, too. 

I'll have to bug Chris to see about getting a test bike in the coming months...

shreda
1 hour ago
Endurhevia wrote:
From Nate hills IG storyNew axs dropper? With new side loading battery just like fox... 

From Nate hills IG story

Wow, please not another one. Glad Bikeyoke is coming up with a fully integrated dropper. I‘m sure it will be a great success for them. 

Rick26
1 hour ago Edited Date/Time 1 hour ago
Endurhevia wrote:

From Nate hills IG story

100% new Reverb AXS, it's very similar to the patent filled by SRAM in May.

patente
gibbon
1 hour ago
Dang that bike looks rad. I love the versatility of the three pivot locations if it really is as easy as just swapping a bolt trailside...

Dang that bike looks rad. I love the versatility of the three pivot locations if it really is as easy as just swapping a bolt trailside. Having the option to go from say 135-160mm vs 165-190mm of travel would be neat, too. 

I assume you'll have to change spring rate and chain length too.

1 hour ago
Dang that bike looks rad. I love the versatility of the three pivot locations if it really is as easy as just swapping a bolt trailside...

gibbon wrote:

I assume you'll have to change spring rate and chain length too.

From Vampires bikes IG, you keep the same shock, same stroke length etc etc just change the pivot location and add the idler on the two higher position

Nobble
1 hour ago
isack wrote:

The price

Go look at inflation, high end bikes have always been expensive.

In 2004, an SWorks Enduro was $4800. (Around $8500 today).

In 2009, an SWorks Epic was $8800. (Approximately $13,000 today)

I don’t understand why everyone suddenly thinks the sky is falling. Next everyone will be complaining that $250,000 for a Huraćan is insane because a Countach used to be $100,000. It’s not like you were going to buy one anyway.

gibbon
1 hour ago
tarekfahmy wrote:
From Vampires bikes IG, you keep the same shock, same stroke length etc etc just change the pivot location and add the idler on the two...

From Vampires bikes IG, you keep the same shock, same stroke length etc etc just change the pivot location and add the idler on the two higher position

If you maintain stroke but increase travel then you are increasing LR and will need to up the spring rate to keep sag % constant (and vice versa if reducing). If you are moving the idler position then chain length will have to alter (less critical on Shimano but crucial for Sram).

Nobble
1 hour ago
tarekfahmy wrote:
From Vampires bikes IG, you keep the same shock, same stroke length etc etc just change the pivot location and add the idler on the two...

gibbon wrote:
If you maintain stroke but increase travel then you are increasing LR and will need to up the spring rate to keep sag % constant (and...

If you maintain stroke but increase travel then you are increasing LR and will need to up the spring rate to keep sag % constant (and vice versa if reducing). If you are moving the idler position then chain length will have to alter (less critical on Shimano but crucial for Sram).

Pretty sure it adds progression to counter the increase in leverage ratio as the travel gets longer.

gibbon
1 hour ago

LR  is just travel/stroke (it doesn't matter how it gets there). 

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest