MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
seanfisseli
1 day ago
On the note of disengaging hubs and pedal kick, so long as whatever drive mechanism you have can automatically engage when you pedal forwards, it's impossible...

On the note of disengaging hubs and pedal kick, so long as whatever drive mechanism you have can automatically engage when you pedal forwards, it's impossible to prevent it from causing pedal kick. The drive mechanism, whether it be hub or BB based, can't differentiate between the chain getting pulled on due to you pedaling and the chain getting pulled on from the suspension compressing. Riding backwards is a little different in that you can use the fact that the hub is rotating backwards relative to the axle to disengage the hub.

What if you make hub engagement so slow that your suspension can fully compress without the hub catching?

It is called oem formula hubs

Lowkey loved mine

Nico_Hrndz
Fantasy
699th
1 day ago

Looks like BOS Suspension is back on track with its MTB range:

https://www.vojomag.com/news/bos-suspension-revient-avec-une-nouvelle-gamme-vtt/

-> Idylle DH fork / Idylle SC (now named Kyll) (39mm stachions anyone?) / Deville + a DJ fork (the USD Obsys should be back too -oh word I'm hoping for a SC version)

sea-otter-bos-suspension-25-vojo-paul-humbert-44.jpg?VersionId=6EwGbgJi2qkitrP3YNLsea-otter-bos-suspension-25-vojo-paul-humbert-13

-> Void / Syors / Stoy shocks as well

sea-otter-bos-suspension-25-vojo-paul-humbert-20.jpg?VersionId=UESJ5AeEq3MwRxYB4LfH

-> aaaannd surprise surprise, a 2 or 4-pot braking system is in the works (using shimano pads)

sea-otter-bos-suspension-25-vojo-paul-humbert-37.jpg?VersionId=tEyTkcjPwoEnn69s9clz
lickmycrinkle
1 day ago

Weren't they back into MTB twice already? All I rem mber is the CEO spitting his dummy out over how nobody in MTB appreciates them and that they're never coming back. And they've come back twice since.

However, those parts look straight out of 2004, absolutely no thanks. If they're not gonna make themselves a viable option by actually selling their things, then it's all a moot point anyway.

Jakub_G
1 day ago Edited Date/Time 1 day ago
Nico_Hrndz wrote:
Looks like BOS Suspension is back on track with its MTB range:https://www.vojomag.com/news/bos-suspension-revient-avec-une-nouvelle-gamme-vtt/-> Idylle DH fork / Idylle SC (now named Kyll) (39mm stachions anyone?)...

Looks like BOS Suspension is back on track with its MTB range:

https://www.vojomag.com/news/bos-suspension-revient-avec-une-nouvelle-gamme-vtt/

-> Idylle DH fork / Idylle SC (now named Kyll) (39mm stachions anyone?) / Deville + a DJ fork (the USD Obsys should be back too -oh word I'm hoping for a SC version)

sea-otter-bos-suspension-25-vojo-paul-humbert-44.jpg?VersionId=6EwGbgJi2qkitrP3YNLsea-otter-bos-suspension-25-vojo-paul-humbert-13

-> Void / Syors / Stoy shocks as well

sea-otter-bos-suspension-25-vojo-paul-humbert-20.jpg?VersionId=UESJ5AeEq3MwRxYB4LfH

-> aaaannd surprise surprise, a 2 or 4-pot braking system is in the works (using shimano pads)

sea-otter-bos-suspension-25-vojo-paul-humbert-37.jpg?VersionId=tEyTkcjPwoEnn69s9clz

I don't think they actually left, idylle SC and DC were introduced relatively recently just after RS and fox came out with 38mm range, stoy3 is also one of the newer shocks on the market. Anyways, like to see them still going, my stoy rare is damn good shock and as reliable as they come.

JokullThor
Fantasy
3949th
1 day ago
Looks like the new E13 rear hub should be out next week.  The speculation is that the paws disengage when the wheel is spinning to free...

Looks like the new E13 rear hub should be out next week.  The speculation is that the paws disengage when the wheel is spinning to free up the chain tension and pedal kick.

Screen Shot 2024-09-18 at 10.37.33 AM.png?VersionId=e90Hved6Bv
1 day ago
Looks like the new E13 rear hub should be out next week.  The speculation is that the paws disengage when the wheel is spinning to free...

Looks like the new E13 rear hub should be out next week.  The speculation is that the paws disengage when the wheel is spinning to free up the chain tension and pedal kick.

Screen Shot 2024-09-18 at 10.37.33 AM.png?VersionId=e90Hved6Bv
JokullThor wrote:

I saw this on the @Downmanics IG page. Looks very promising!

IMG 4036.jpeg?VersionId=mwg1MKHPWjqjmIMG 4037IMG 4039.jpeg?VersionId=55Ue
Jakub_G

can this hub be reliable?

As with every other free hub mechanism out there, if tolerances are right and material choice/quality suitable for the application, I think it's not very complicated at all, however their track record + general inclination towards weight saving in the worst places that is so prevalent in the whole industry... I'm little skeptical.

monarchmason
1 day ago
Weren't they back into MTB twice already? All I rem mber is the CEO spitting his dummy out over how nobody in MTB appreciates them and...

Weren't they back into MTB twice already? All I rem mber is the CEO spitting his dummy out over how nobody in MTB appreciates them and that they're never coming back. And they've come back twice since.

However, those parts look straight out of 2004, absolutely no thanks. If they're not gonna make themselves a viable option by actually selling their things, then it's all a moot point anyway.

Personally as someone who is tired of seeing pastel painted bikes, Kashima or Black stanchions, I welcome something that makes me think of the era of mountain bikes when bikes had sick paint jobs from the factory, 27.5 was new, 1X was becoming a thing. Enduro was new as well. I dig em. Probably still better than X Fusion. 

Rick26
mtbrdan wrote:
What are you all hearing about the new SC e bike(s?). Named Vala, 160/150,Bosch system 5, non VPP, 600wh with an extender are the rumors I've...

What are you all hearing about the new SC e bike(s?). Named Vala, 160/150,Bosch system 5, non VPP, 600wh with an extender are the rumors I've compiled. Maybe an updated Bullit to follow?

A few forums already have informations on the bike since last week.

Bike will be 4 bar linkage, influencers are flying over to Santa Cruz for the media day that is happening either today or tomorrow.

Bosch Gen 5 should be releasing in the next few days with 600wh & 800wh battery options, new eMTBs should be flooding right after including the new Vala.

Frames designed with the new Bosch 600wh will not be able to fit their new 800wh, so they really want to slot the new Vala between the Heckler SL and Bullit/Heckler.

Also looks like new Devinci Troy is releasing this Wednesday.

Devinci

e*thirteen's new Sidekick Hub is here, and I had the opportunity to spend a day riding it back-to-back with a regular hub to see how it works and how it improves suspension performance.

I started a new forum topic to chat about the Sidekick HERE

Full press release with more info HERE

Complete Sidekick product range info HERE

Jotegr

Once again BOS is intentionally choosing a pointless stanchion size for the sole purpose of fucking up the few customers who were willing to give them a shot and try something new when BOS inevitably folds the MTB side of the business.. There's several options on the market from seemingly stable, boutique suspension manufacturers, whether it's just dampers or full forks/shocks. I don't know why you'd pick the one that launches a product on a Monday and ceases to support it by Thursday, but instead of choosing something like a 35, 36 or 38mm stanchion on the forks which would allow their users to change to a different wiper seal/o-ring after BOS calls it quits, they pick something stupid like 37 or 39mm.

I spent a bit of time on their stuff in 2016 and thought it was really good. The bad part came when customers wanted their stuff serviced and we had to tell them that their quite expensive suspension product was, in fact, a large paperweight after the first season.

matmattmatthew
1 day ago

Curious about the benefits (or lack) of the sidekick on a shorter travel bike.  120-140mm travel range.  Would it depend more on the suspension kinematics of the specific frame?  

e*thirteen's new Sidekick Hub is here, and I had the opportunity to spend a day riding it back-to-back with a regular hub to see how it...

e*thirteen's new Sidekick Hub is here, and I had the opportunity to spend a day riding it back-to-back with a regular hub to see how it works and how it improves suspension performance.

interesting, but you have tested a 29" rear wheel with an aluminium rim against a 27,5" carbon wheel, correct? if so, how can you be sure you perceived the influence of the hub and not the wheel size and rim material?

1 day ago
e*thirteen's new Sidekick Hub is here, and I had the opportunity to spend a day riding it back-to-back with a regular hub to see how it...

Milton 26" wrote:
interesting, but you have tested a 29" rear wheel with an aluminium rim against a 27,5" carbon wheel, correct? if so, how can you be sure...

interesting, but you have tested a 29" rear wheel with an aluminium rim against a 27,5" carbon wheel, correct? if so, how can you be sure you perceived the influence of the hub and not the wheel size and rim material?

You're correct on wheel size/material differences. I do think the new carbon rims had a positive effect during high-frequency chatter and muting that type of feedback. I'd say the front rim provided more benefits in those situations than the rear.

I was focusing on a few corners with deep, repetitive compressions, one rock garden section, and high-speed braking straightaway with some bumps to hone into how each hub rode differently. The change from the DT240 to the Sidekick was most noticeable in these moments, as the suspension was freer off the top and was less jarring on big hits. It just felt like the bike was getting out of the way of impacts easier and working through its travel more smoothly. The 29 vs. 27.5 I figured would put the e*13 at a disadvantage through the rocky bits as I've ridden that test track a ton, and it always gobbles small rear wheels (and fronts). However, my bike was skimming and driving better through those holes and felt more active with the e*13 wheels than the stock 29/29 DTs.

The differences or improvements with the hub during my one day of testing were marginal. But there were plenty of benefits that I felt like I only scratched the surface of, which makes me eager to get a hub on my enduro bike. @TEAMROBOT has a long-term hub/wheelset heading his way this week so that he can weigh in on descending & pedaling performance + durability + Ochain comparison. I'm really curious how the lag when pedaling changes with a 12-speed drivetrain or when going up tricky tech climbs. With a 7-speed DH cassette pedaling to the lift or cranking for a jump, it wasn't an issue.

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
1 day ago
Curious about the benefits (or lack) of the sidekick on a shorter travel bike.  120-140mm travel range.  Would it depend more on the suspension kinematics of...

Curious about the benefits (or lack) of the sidekick on a shorter travel bike.  120-140mm travel range.  Would it depend more on the suspension kinematics of the specific frame?  

i actually put it on my 130 bike this week. wrote a brief detailing here - https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/hub/ethirteens-sidekick-hub-impressions…

Jakub_G
Jotegr wrote:
Once again BOS is intentionally choosing a pointless stanchion size for the sole purpose of fucking up the few customers who were willing to give them...

Once again BOS is intentionally choosing a pointless stanchion size for the sole purpose of fucking up the few customers who were willing to give them a shot and try something new when BOS inevitably folds the MTB side of the business.. There's several options on the market from seemingly stable, boutique suspension manufacturers, whether it's just dampers or full forks/shocks. I don't know why you'd pick the one that launches a product on a Monday and ceases to support it by Thursday, but instead of choosing something like a 35, 36 or 38mm stanchion on the forks which would allow their users to change to a different wiper seal/o-ring after BOS calls it quits, they pick something stupid like 37 or 39mm.

I spent a bit of time on their stuff in 2016 and thought it was really good. The bad part came when customers wanted their stuff serviced and we had to tell them that their quite expensive suspension product was, in fact, a large paperweight after the first season.

Sorry to say, but from what I have found out from either personal experience of from other suspension service centers in central Europe, bos is not using any proprietary seals and certainly weren't using them back in 2016 either. It's only "certified" suspension centers that for some reason refuse to visit the nearest o ring store that had the problem. The were all regular metric seals/wipers available immediately and for pennies and if you so desire in multiple compounds so you can try to improve already good frictional properties. And till recent forks with 39/42 mm stachioned forks even fork seals weren't unusual sizes and supplied by multiple aftermarket makers. What they could and should have provided is spare parts list with dimensions/compatibility. So from my point of view, that paper weight ended up that way because of lack of effort on service center side more than anything. Should they be selling spares directly? Sure. Is it big issue when they don't if you can get all the seals needed for your shock basically anywhere in the world for 5bucks? Not in my book, at least when it comes to regular service. 

Jotegr
1 day ago
Jotegr wrote:
Once again BOS is intentionally choosing a pointless stanchion size for the sole purpose of fucking up the few customers who were willing to give them...

Jakub_G wrote:
Sorry to say, but from what I have found out from either personal experience of from other suspension service centers in central Europe, bos is not...

Sorry to say, but from what I have found out from either personal experience of from other suspension service centers in central Europe, bos is not using any proprietary seals and certainly weren't using them back in 2016 either. It's only "certified" suspension centers that for some reason refuse to visit the nearest o ring store that had the problem. The were all regular metric seals/wipers available immediately and for pennies and if you so desire in multiple compounds so you can try to improve already good frictional properties. And till recent forks with 39/42 mm stachioned forks even fork seals weren't unusual sizes and supplied by multiple aftermarket makers. What they could and should have provided is spare parts list with dimensions/compatibility. So from my point of view, that paper weight ended up that way because of lack of effort on service center side more than anything. Should they be selling spares directly? Sure. Is it big issue when they don't if you can get all the seals needed for your shock basically anywhere in the world for 5bucks? Not in my book, at least when it comes to regular service. 

For those of us who don't have the privilege of being in Europe, finding 37mm seals was absurdly hard prior to the Mezzer coming out. SKF, for example, didn't offer anything. We found a couple sets on international ebay but those either didn't work out or the supply ran out quickly. You're saying I could have walked down to the neares "o-ring store" and walked out with a 37mm seal kit? Really?

Jakub_G
1 day ago
Jotegr wrote:
For those of us who don't have the privilege of being in Europe, finding 37mm seals was absurdly hard prior to the Mezzer coming out. SKF...

For those of us who don't have the privilege of being in Europe, finding 37mm seals was absurdly hard prior to the Mezzer coming out. SKF, for example, didn't offer anything. We found a couple sets on international ebay but those either didn't work out or the supply ran out quickly. You're saying I could have walked down to the neares "o-ring store" and walked out with a 37mm seal kit? Really?

I could see being outside of Europe making things harder. Still, their forks were 34,35,36mm back in the day, you had to pick the only one with unusual diameter and didn't think forward and buy few spare seals up front. Anyways, good seal store will make you one off seals if you really need it, won't be cheap. Or take care of the forks and seals will easily last 2-3 years. 

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
1 day ago
Jotegr wrote:

Jakub_G wrote:
Sorry to say, but from what I have found out from either personal experience of from other suspension service centers in central Europe, bos is not...

There should be a law that once a product is EOL and is not supported anymore, the specs for the spare parts should be freely published. Including, for example, the dimensions of frame parts to be able to either weld up cracked parts to correct dimensions or have someone be able to recreate things.

Right to repair really can't come quickly enough.

jonkranked
Fantasy
824th
1 day ago

anyone out there in Vital forum land hear anything as of late on the Box Stealth MTB hubs? or do they continue to be vaporware?

SteveClimber
Fantasy
2245th
1 day ago
Jotegr wrote:
For those of us who don't have the privilege of being in Europe, finding 37mm seals was absurdly hard prior to the Mezzer coming out. SKF...

Jakub_G wrote:
I could see being outside of Europe making things harder. Still, their forks were 34,35,36mm back in the day, you had to pick the only one...

I could see being outside of Europe making things harder. Still, their forks were 34,35,36mm back in the day, you had to pick the only one with unusual diameter and didn't think forward and buy few spare seals up front. Anyways, good seal store will make you one off seals if you really need it, won't be cheap. Or take care of the forks and seals will easily last 2-3 years. 

If your argument is that when you buy your new fork for hundreds of dollars, make sure you buy enough spare parts for it also for 2-3 years. Your really not understanding consumer behaviour and justifying shitty company practices that shaft consumers at every chance. 

23 hours ago
DorianKane wrote:
@CascadeComponents can you please explain for the dummies if the E13 hub works as advertised or not, now you know the full product and how it...

@CascadeComponents can you please explain for the dummies if the E13 hub works as advertised or not, now you know the full product and how it works. 

It works as advertised for the most part. There are still scenarios where pedal kickback can be encountered, but they should be pretty rare. Let's consider the current generation Nomad for an example. The suspension has to compress about 80mm to get 18 degrees of pedal kickback. Because you are always guaranteed the same amount of slack in the hub, on any compression smaller than this it does make pedal kickback impossible to encounter. If you are compressing your suspension more than 80mm, it then becomes a question of how fast is the shock moving when you hit the 80mm mark and how fast is your wheel spinning. If your wheel isn't spinning and you get past 80mm of compression you will encounter kickback. When your wheel is actually moving, the criteria to get pedal kick is that the chain has to yank the freehub enough to take up all slack in the hub and be moving fast enough that the freehub spins faster than the hub shell at the point where slack has been taken up. For most impacts the shock should be able to slow things enough that you can't achieve the combo of having all slack taken up and freehub moving faster than the hub.

Compared to a low POE hub, this is different in that you are guaranteed the same amount of slack every time. Let's say you have a hub with 18 degree increments on the pawls. It could take 18 degrees for the hub to catch or it could take 0 depending on where the freehub is sitting relative to the shell. On average it'll take 9 degrees. So you'd need a 36 degree hub to on average have the same experience as this hub. The on average bit is important though. Also 36 degrees would be a lot...

WMullins
22 hours ago

Not exactly a "tech" thing but I saw this and thought it was funny. It would be interesting to see some sort of revolution in grip technology at some point in the future, whether that's fancy velcro or magnets or molded plastic "C" clips on gloves.download %282%29

Digit Bikes
22 hours ago
WMullins wrote:
Not exactly a "tech" thing but I saw this and thought it was funny. It would be interesting to see some sort of revolution in grip...

Not exactly a "tech" thing but I saw this and thought it was funny. It would be interesting to see some sort of revolution in grip technology at some point in the future, whether that's fancy velcro or magnets or molded plastic "C" clips on gloves.download %282%29

Pearl Izumi made something like this about 20 years ago. IIRC there were gloves and grips for both MTB and road bikes, they marketed it has having frog finger grip if you wanna search for more info.

1llumA
Fantasy
680th
21 hours ago
WMullins wrote:
Not exactly a "tech" thing but I saw this and thought it was funny. It would be interesting to see some sort of revolution in grip...

Pearl Izumi made something like this about 20 years ago. IIRC there were gloves and grips for both MTB and road bikes, they marketed it has...

Pearl Izumi made something like this about 20 years ago. IIRC there were gloves and grips for both MTB and road bikes, they marketed it has having frog finger grip if you wanna search for more info.

Prologo still make something somewhat akin to this.

https://prologo.it/en/collections/guanti/products/energrip-long-fingers

Jotegr
20 hours ago

Oops Asa Cycles! A few things to be gleaned from the details:

Bontrager Brevard - new Assegai/DHF clone?

RIB(2.0)'ed for her pleasure. 

Curious they call it the Rail+. The + typically signifies the ebike version of a preexisting model. Is this new rail twice as much ebike as the previous one?

Also, Damn it Trek, you're speccing deore on the lowest model, why the heck aren't you speccing deore linkglide??? It's THE E-MTB drivetrain!

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest