MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
19 hours ago
Jotegr wrote:
Oops Asa Cycles! A few things to be gleaned from the details:Bontrager Brevard - new Assegai/DHF clone?RIB(2.0)'ed for her pleasure. Curious they call it the Rail+. The...

Oops Asa Cycles! A few things to be gleaned from the details:

Bontrager Brevard - new Assegai/DHF clone?

RIB(2.0)'ed for her pleasure. 

Curious they call it the Rail+. The + typically signifies the ebike version of a preexisting model. Is this new rail twice as much ebike as the previous one?

Also, Damn it Trek, you're speccing deore on the lowest model, why the heck aren't you speccing deore linkglide??? It's THE E-MTB drivetrain!

I've had nothing but shifting drama's with 11spd linkglide, between many bikes and different sets of linkglide its always a bit iffy in changing, I've tried all sorts before i gave up and went XT 12spd, no issues.

NicoZesty96
18 hours ago

any geo for this? Think i found my next ebike

unless you must have the bosh, if this one rides like the previous one, the 160e is WAY better, it feels a lot lighter while being the same weight when the rail feels 5kg heavier than what it is.

TannerVal
18 hours ago

unless you must have the bosh, if this one rides like the previous one, the 160e is WAY better, it feels a lot lighter while being...

unless you must have the bosh, if this one rides like the previous one, the 160e is WAY better, it feels a lot lighter while being the same weight when the rail feels 5kg heavier than what it is.

Sorry but what’s a “160e”?

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
18 hours ago

unless you must have the bosh, if this one rides like the previous one, the 160e is WAY better, it feels a lot lighter while being...

TannerVal wrote:

Jotegr
17 hours ago

TannerVal wrote:

Take it with a grain of salt, NicoZesty has a particular vendetta for all things Rail.

NicoZesty96
16 hours ago
Jotegr wrote:

Take it with a grain of salt, NicoZesty has a particular vendetta for all things Rail.

not vendetta, really, i just went on quite a few rides on the latest ( almost ) 9.8 and 9 and honestly both me and my colleagues believe it's great to ride up but it's not that nice to ride down, it just feels sluggish and heavy, while bikes like the Orbea Wild and the Yeti 160E are objectively WAY better bikes while riding trails not just flying up hills in a rush.

Talking just about riding performance, app, screens i don't care honestly. 

15 hours ago

funny you mention the Y160E, I didnt like the demo bike i tried.
Currently on the new Marin Alpine Trail E2 with the bosch and its a damn good bike, Bought both the E and steam bikes together, they are both seriously good bikes and rare to find an Emtb that feels similar to the normie bike.

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
13 hours ago

Re gloves, I mentioned it before, Hirzl Grippp gloves are very sticky. 

ShapeThings
13 hours ago
I've had nothing but shifting drama's with 11spd linkglide, between many bikes and different sets of linkglide its always a bit iffy in changing, I've tried...

I've had nothing but shifting drama's with 11spd linkglide, between many bikes and different sets of linkglide its always a bit iffy in changing, I've tried all sorts before i gave up and went XT 12spd, no issues.

Linkglide has been spectacular for me. Might be my favorite groupset ever (it replaced dog puke NX, so that probably makes it seem better). Every low spec ebike should come with it. 

Nico_Hrndz
Fantasy
699th
12 hours ago
Weren't they back into MTB twice already? All I rem mber is the CEO spitting his dummy out over how nobody in MTB appreciates them and...

Weren't they back into MTB twice already? All I rem mber is the CEO spitting his dummy out over how nobody in MTB appreciates them and that they're never coming back. And they've come back twice since.

However, those parts look straight out of 2004, absolutely no thanks. If they're not gonna make themselves a viable option by actually selling their things, then it's all a moot point anyway.

They were kinda off - still selling remaining stocks from time to time but focusing on MX and automotive suspension. I listened to Bossards interview on the "En roue libre" podcast and it was clear that he is certainly not a good representative for its own brand. That's why it's been relaunched with the participation of a former Probikeshop employee (you might not know the website in NA but it used to be a big deal in Europe). 

Personnaly not a fan of how the stachions look, brakes protos need refinement and yes, there is room for improvement. Still, It's good to see them trying to get back and I'd really like to see a VS test against any 38 or utimate whatever.

luisgutrod
Fantasy
509th
11 hours ago
Nico_Hrndz wrote:
They were kinda off - still selling remaining stocks from time to time but focusing on MX and automotive suspension. I listened to Bossards interview on...

They were kinda off - still selling remaining stocks from time to time but focusing on MX and automotive suspension. I listened to Bossards interview on the "En roue libre" podcast and it was clear that he is certainly not a good representative for its own brand. That's why it's been relaunched with the participation of a former Probikeshop employee (you might not know the website in NA but it used to be a big deal in Europe). 

Personnaly not a fan of how the stachions look, brakes protos need refinement and yes, there is room for improvement. Still, It's good to see them trying to get back and I'd really like to see a VS test against any 38 or utimate whatever.

wonder if probikeshop is now different people this year.. as nothing works, no stock, no order history, shitty search, shitty all, I deleted from my options.. perhaps same BOS owner ? hahaha

bikelurker
9 hours ago
Nico_Hrndz wrote:
They were kinda off - still selling remaining stocks from time to time but focusing on MX and automotive suspension. I listened to Bossards interview on...

luisgutrod wrote:
wonder if probikeshop is now different people this year.. as nothing works, no stock, no order history, shitty search, shitty all, I deleted from my options...

wonder if probikeshop is now different people this year.. as nothing works, no stock, no order history, shitty search, shitty all, I deleted from my options.. perhaps same BOS owner ? hahaha

Probikeshop was property of the same company as wiggle/chainreaction. It was aparently sold to a honk kong company

gibbon
8 hours ago Edited Date/Time 8 hours ago
It works as advertised for the most part. There are still scenarios where pedal kickback can be encountered, but they should be pretty rare. Let's consider...

It works as advertised for the most part. There are still scenarios where pedal kickback can be encountered, but they should be pretty rare. Let's consider the current generation Nomad for an example. The suspension has to compress about 80mm to get 18 degrees of pedal kickback. Because you are always guaranteed the same amount of slack in the hub, on any compression smaller than this it does make pedal kickback impossible to encounter. If you are compressing your suspension more than 80mm, it then becomes a question of how fast is the shock moving when you hit the 80mm mark and how fast is your wheel spinning. If your wheel isn't spinning and you get past 80mm of compression you will encounter kickback. When your wheel is actually moving, the criteria to get pedal kick is that the chain has to yank the freehub enough to take up all slack in the hub and be moving fast enough that the freehub spins faster than the hub shell at the point where slack has been taken up. For most impacts the shock should be able to slow things enough that you can't achieve the combo of having all slack taken up and freehub moving faster than the hub.

Compared to a low POE hub, this is different in that you are guaranteed the same amount of slack every time. Let's say you have a hub with 18 degree increments on the pawls. It could take 18 degrees for the hub to catch or it could take 0 depending on where the freehub is sitting relative to the shell. On average it'll take 9 degrees. So you'd need a 36 degree hub to on average have the same experience as this hub. The on average bit is important though. Also 36 degrees would be a lot...

I'm not sure it is guaranteed slack every time. It's basically a 60 POE hub with pawls activated by a secondary timed mechanism. This means the outer pawls have a 0-6degree range of being engaged (just like a traditional hub).
So the 'deadspace' is between 6-12degrees, 9-15degrees or 12-18degrees.

monarchmason
6 hours ago

It may be a long shot but seeing companies/people experiment with steel chainstays, adding extra weight, or more flex to a frame (Danny Harts GT) it would really be cool if companies started advancing in steel/chromoly frames for bigger bikes and trail bikes. At this point theyre the same weight as a lot of carbon framed builds. With CNCing and 3D printing we could have some cool bikes. 

I was just day dreaming of a Delta link frame but made from steel. Raw too. 🤤

Jakub_G
6 hours ago
Primoz wrote:
There should be a law that once a product is EOL and is not supported anymore, the specs for the spare parts should be freely published...

There should be a law that once a product is EOL and is not supported anymore, the specs for the spare parts should be freely published. Including, for example, the dimensions of frame parts to be able to either weld up cracked parts to correct dimensions or have someone be able to recreate things.

Right to repair really can't come quickly enough.

That' s pretty good idea,  even better if they were public from the get go not only after they are not supported from manufacturer anymore.

saskskier
Fantasy
1046th
6 hours ago
Jotegr wrote:

not vendetta, really, i just went on quite a few rides on the latest ( almost ) 9.8 and 9 and honestly both me and my...

not vendetta, really, i just went on quite a few rides on the latest ( almost ) 9.8 and 9 and honestly both me and my colleagues believe it's great to ride up but it's not that nice to ride down, it just feels sluggish and heavy, while bikes like the Orbea Wild and the Yeti 160E are objectively WAY better bikes while riding trails not just flying up hills in a rush.

Talking just about riding performance, app, screens i don't care honestly. 

Agreed on the Rail. I borrowed my brother's last weekend. Climbing was great, but it's super heavy and did not feel great descending. It was also so loud (creaks, squeaks, rattles, etc), and he's pretty on top of maintenance. 

Climbing on an ebike is wild, but it definitely wasn't the bike to convince me I need one in my life. 

cprnc
4 hours ago

Not sure if it's been shown already.

image 56
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
4 hours ago

that sunn looks clean! also, here's zink's rampage bike with video title "new brand launching soon"

nicompr
4 hours ago Edited Date/Time 4 hours ago
cprnc wrote:

image 56

That's the yet to be release new Radical

LePigPen
Fantasy
179th
3 hours ago Edited Date/Time 3 hours ago

seeing the battery on the seat post, shock, and derailleur makes me want to huddle in a dark corner and rock myself to sleep (so i can wake up from this nightmare)

and honestly i can accept the fact that ebikes are the future and will be quite cool in the future (so maybe integrate all these parts with the ebike battery eventually?) but i think history will look back at the multiple separate batteries everywhere on the bike with a bit of a chuckle.

oh and ill just EDIT this post instead of making a new one... Specialized is hiding/blocking comments on their new Stumpy post: https://www.instagram.com/p/DATkysPtDwX/ 

Jotegr
3 hours ago

Don't forget batteries on the sensors attached to the brake calipers. 

seanfisseli
2 hours ago
LePigPen wrote:
seeing the battery on the seat post, shock, and derailleur makes me want to huddle in a dark corner and rock myself to sleep (so i...

seeing the battery on the seat post, shock, and derailleur makes me want to huddle in a dark corner and rock myself to sleep (so i can wake up from this nightmare)

and honestly i can accept the fact that ebikes are the future and will be quite cool in the future (so maybe integrate all these parts with the ebike battery eventually?) but i think history will look back at the multiple separate batteries everywhere on the bike with a bit of a chuckle.

oh and ill just EDIT this post instead of making a new one... Specialized is hiding/blocking comments on their new Stumpy post: https://www.instagram.com/p/DATkysPtDwX/ 

Are they hiding anything negative?

isack
1 hour ago
LePigPen wrote:
seeing the battery on the seat post, shock, and derailleur makes me want to huddle in a dark corner and rock myself to sleep (so i...

The price

MauiMax
Fantasy
2292nd
1 hour ago
LePigPen wrote:

isack wrote:

The price

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-stumpjumper-15-ltd/p/4278252?color=5444076-4278252 

I see the price right here. Im not sure if its reasonable but i see it

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest