MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
ahleic09
Fantasy
3002nd
8/26/2024 2:03pm
jofournier wrote:
2 rumors, 1 leading to another... Part of it might have been discussed previously, but I couldn't find any references in the thread.Devinci is launching a...

2 rumors, 1 leading to another... Part of it might have been discussed previously, but I couldn't find any references in the thread.

Devinci is launching a new Troy, sometime in September. There staff openly talk about it. Made of aluminum only, welded in Canada, with frame storage, will have mullet capabilities. Rear travel goes to 150, with 160 fork. Reach is growing about 5 mm. All SRAM builds. Top one with GX AXS t-type. The less expensive build are NX.

This release has been pushed back by more then 6 months now. Shop employees are saying there is an embargo on the mid tier model, which would not be AXS, but a new cable actuated GX t-type.

Any body here has heard anything regarding the new drive train?

29 wrote:

A guy I know who is involved with a bike brand said it’s coming soon-ish. Brands apparently have the specs already. 

If a cable transmission is coming I would suspect that the Troy is not the only bike waiting for the release. This may partially explain the alloy (cable compatible) stumpjumper being released after the debut of the carbon version 

jofournier
8/26/2024 5:35pm

That would make a ton of sense. Looks like September is going to be a big month for this threadh! Smile

Regarding the Troy, 

FWIW, I was told the color ways are going to be Silver and "Matcha". The matcha color can already be seen on the chainSaw on their website site.

Alloy frame with In frame storage, welded in Canada, that's going to differentiate them nicely

matmattmatthew
8/26/2024 7:46pm
dolface wrote:

AFAICT, yes. A bit more here (and some pics of the current iteration of that Apogee One and some other cool bikes): https://theradavist.com/2024-made-bike-show-part-02/

I've been considering a steel full suspension frame from a small builder for my next FS bike.  It's been a long time since I've been so intrigued by a bike as I am that Apogee.2024-MADE-BIke-Show-Apogee-Duoframe-Steel-Full-Suspension-1

Onawalk
8/26/2024 8:11pm
dolface wrote:

AFAICT, yes. A bit more here (and some pics of the current iteration of that Apogee One and some other cool bikes): https://theradavist.com/2024-made-bike-show-part-02/

I've been considering a steel full suspension frame from a small builder for my next FS bike.  It's been a long time since I've been...

I've been considering a steel full suspension frame from a small builder for my next FS bike.  It's been a long time since I've been so intrigued by a bike as I am that Apogee.2024-MADE-BIke-Show-Apogee-Duoframe-Steel-Full-Suspension-1

I think this bike looks incredible, and I lust after it,

But as a look at it more, it appears to be a linkage activated single pivot, and I'm not sure the added complication of the linkage does much at all to the negate the drawbacks of a single pivot bike.  

Someone smarter, please explain what, if any benefit this is over a Kona rear sus?

I get along well with Horst bikes, and faux bars.  Dont seem to jive with most VPP style suspension bikes, I havent been on a true single pivot since my 03 Bullit

8/26/2024 8:44pm
Onawalk wrote:
I think this bike looks incredible, and I lust after it,But as a look at it more, it appears to be a linkage activated single pivot...

But as a look at it more, it appears to be a linkage activated single pivot, and I'm not sure the added complication of the linkage does much at all to the negate the drawbacks of a single pivot bike.  

Someone smarter, please explain what, if any benefit this is over a Kona rear sus?

I get along well with Horst bikes, and faux bars.  Dont seem to jive with most VPP style suspension bikes, I havent been on a true single pivot since my 03 Bullit

Layout and exact numbers aside, there really isn’t anything that sets it apart from a Kona. Both are linkage driven single pivots so leverage ratio can be tuned independent of axle path, anti-squat, and anti-rise. But with both, like any single pivot, once you pick pivot placement, axle path, anti-squat, and anti-rise are set in stone. Exact shape of the leverage curve might vary a little for better or worse with either. With a linkage like what’s on Konas, it’s harder to get off in the weeds you tuning leverage curve, but how much you can tune a leverage curve just by changing one link is limited. 

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
8/27/2024 8:02am

world champs pit bits video. what is this thing???

Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 8.41.16 AM.png?VersionId=JuG Fb3rO.VHxPh
8/27/2024 8:22am
sspomer wrote:

image 33
Finkill
Fantasy
3558th
8/27/2024 8:25am
sspomer wrote:

Got to be a suspended mass damper,. similar to the thing rimpact have been developing for the steerer tube. 

amaranth
Fantasy
161st
8/27/2024 8:40am
dolface wrote:

I've been considering a steel full suspension frame from a small builder for my next FS bike.  It's been a long time since I've been...

Onawalk wrote:
I think this bike looks incredible, and I lust after it,But as a look at it more, it appears to be a linkage activated single pivot...

Unpopular opinion - this bike looks good, is made in the US, and that's where the good ends. You're maintaining a zillion bolts for what is essentially a Kona, plus it costs $4k. Oh and it's steel, so somewhere along those zillion bolts it's gonna rust because you haven't looked them all through and paint doesn't cover the threads and such. Bit of a bougie/showboat bike at best. 

8/27/2024 8:47am
sspomer wrote:

Finkill wrote:

Got to be a suspended mass damper,. similar to the thing rimpact have been developing for the steerer tube. 

TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
331st
8/27/2024 8:48am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2024 10:52am
sspomer wrote:

Similar product, spotted at the Snow Summit National last weekend behind someone's van. Asked and he said they work great, exactly as intended. We compared notes about how blown away we both were the first time riding a heavy ebike through choppy rough stuff. The front one is apparently an off-the-shelf moto product that fits a Dorado upper leg without modifications. And yes, these are definitely suspended mass dampers. Sadly, this bike needed a steering damper and hand guards to win bike tech bingo.

Shakeweight DH
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
8/27/2024 8:57am
sspomer wrote:

Finkill wrote:

screencap the rulebook ASAP if it's legal this week : )

nskerb
8/27/2024 9:33am
sspomer wrote:

TEAMROBOT wrote:
Similar product, spotted at the Snow Summit National last weekend behind someone's van. Asked and he said they work great, exactly as intended. We compared notes...

Similar product, spotted at the Snow Summit National last weekend behind someone's van. Asked and he said they work great, exactly as intended. We compared notes about how blown away we both were the first time riding a heavy ebike through choppy rough stuff. The front one is apparently an off-the-shelf moto product that fits a Dorado upper leg without modifications. And yes, these are definitely suspended mass dampers. Sadly, this bike needed a steering damper and hand guards to win bike tech bingo.

Shakeweight DH

I wonder if you can adjust or swap the springs or weight of the stuff in there, I'd assume if it was an off the shelf moto part you'd want to account for like a 80% lighter machine it is being bolted to. 

seanfisseli
8/27/2024 9:35am
sspomer wrote:

Pretty sure that’s a Brain

nskerb
8/27/2024 9:46am
sspomer wrote:

Pretty sure that’s a Brain

Well I don't see any hoses or wires going to it so that can only mean 1 thing. AXYS Brain. 

dwhere
Fantasy
134th
8/27/2024 9:55am
sspomer wrote:

I wonder how much re-tuning had to go into the shock. The two different dampers have to have an effect on one another. Unless the rear one is tuned super light that is doesn't transfer any load back down the swing arm. But at that point, is it doing anything?

8/27/2024 12:05pm
sspomer wrote:
our enduro fork test sesh is live. 7 forks tested. PLEASE COMMENT THERE, NOT IN HERE.https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/whats-best-enduro-fork-2024-enduro-fork-test-sessions

our enduro fork test sesh is live. 7 forks tested. PLEASE COMMENT THERE, NOT IN HERE.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/whats-best-enduro-fork-2024-enduro-fork-test-sessions

EnduroForkTestSeshA.jpg?VersionId=XWqE

Still unsure how I feel about you picking this photo for the thumbnail 😂 

8/27/2024 12:58pm

Still unsure how I feel about you picking this photo for the thumbnail 😂 

Sexual.

You're feeling sexual about it.

That stirring in your loins means you've finally blossomed in to womanhood. Congratulations!

8/27/2024 3:01pm
Layout and exact numbers aside, there really isn’t anything that sets it apart from a Kona. Both are linkage driven single pivots so leverage ratio can...

Layout and exact numbers aside, there really isn’t anything that sets it apart from a Kona. Both are linkage driven single pivots so leverage ratio can be tuned independent of axle path, anti-squat, and anti-rise. But with both, like any single pivot, once you pick pivot placement, axle path, anti-squat, and anti-rise are set in stone. Exact shape of the leverage curve might vary a little for better or worse with either. With a linkage like what’s on Konas, it’s harder to get off in the weeds you tuning leverage curve, but how much you can tune a leverage curve just by changing one link is limited. 

Since its dual link actuated, it has the potential for some exotic compressions curves, but thats probably a bad thing haha

8/27/2024 3:19pm
TEAMROBOT wrote:
Similar product, spotted at the Snow Summit National last weekend behind someone's van. Asked and he said they work great, exactly as intended. We compared notes...

Shakeweight DH

Just had a quick look on their site, Countershox make three different sizes, that is probably the smallest one? The other two must be for wayyy heavier moto‘s?

Really intrigued to try this especially if it bolts straight to my Dorado, and doesn‘t seem to be needed to adjust depending on weight/bump frequencies. 

8/27/2024 5:55pm
TEAMROBOT wrote:

Shakeweight DH
Just had a quick look on their site, Countershox make three different sizes, that is probably the smallest one? The other two must be for wayyy...

Just had a quick look on their site, Countershox make three different sizes, that is probably the smallest one? The other two must be for wayyy heavier moto‘s?

Really intrigued to try this especially if it bolts straight to my Dorado, and doesn‘t seem to be needed to adjust depending on weight/bump frequencies. 

Hey, yes these are from CounterShox. the blue one on the fork is straight off the moto bike.  I tested on my Yamaha 450 first and then had to try on DH bike. I knew it would have a bigger effect.

The mount is off a 85cc dirt bike, they have the same diameter clamp as dorado.

The one mounted to the seattube is lighter, about 1lb.  I 3D printed a mount so it doesn’t rub again the frame.  

These TMD are not adjustable, from talking to the folks at CounterShox, they have put so much R&D into weights, springs and bumpers, I trust their knowledge about frequencies over me tinkering with it.  

I did have to adjust my suspension slightly, I tested with data acquisition and there is a difference in numbers with and without for sure. With the weights on the Atherton it’s still around 41lb, coming from dirt bikes and e-bikes, anything sub 40lb feels like it deflects too much and isn’t planted. For DH and bike park, I don’t see a reason not to run these mass dampers.

IMG 3349

TannerVal
8/27/2024 6:22pm

We are one hubs look like they’re on the way. Reminds me of the old 90s Nukeproof hubs with the carbon shell. 

IMG 2463
ZAKBROWN!
Fantasy
229th
8/27/2024 8:15pm
TannerVal wrote:
We are one hubs look like they’re on the way. Reminds me of the old 90s Nukeproof hubs with the carbon shell. 

IMG 2463

Let’s hope they stay bonded better than those Nukeproofs!  

8/27/2024 11:39pm
sspomer wrote:

TEAMROBOT wrote:

Shakeweight DH

Do you find the benefits more pronounced on front or rear end?

8/28/2024 12:54am

So the new Saint brakes are debuting at this race. I guess the caliper is the one that came up few days ago?

Marcus J
Fantasy
1465th
8/28/2024 1:17am

Why would Mondraker want the mass damper on the end of the swingarm though, on the unsprung mass. Wouldnt you want it on the sprung mass? (Like on carlinojoevideos setup above)

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest