MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
8/20/2024 1:33am

New Bronson:

- Somehow poking an extra hole in the frame isn't suddenly too hard/costly! "Premium" wireless only for the top end frame only where it belongs.

- Solid build kit with OneUp bars/dropper and DT 370 hubs you'd actually want.

- Lifetime warranty wheels on all builds (even alloys have the lifetime warranty and I've had friends successfully warranty bent ones) + solid SC frame/bearing warranty

- $5K entry level build. No price increases from what I can see? (CC frame still $3,900)

If that study Trek did that showed that SC blows everyone out of the water above the $4k pricepoint was true I honestly don't see how that doesn't continue. 

L to the new Stumpy with this one.

gibbon
8/20/2024 2:01am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2024 5:15am

Have we reached a plateau in geometry now? Updates that are called huge = changes that are actually 1/2degree or 3-4mm different.
Given how bad the 2nd hand market is right now who is going to take the hit upgrading their bike for very marginal differences.
If you were in the market for a 150mm trail bike would take a V4 Bronson/Previous gen Stuntjumper for 30-40% off or pay full whack for a current one?

8/20/2024 2:29am
gibbon wrote:
Have we reached a plateau in geometry now? Updates that are called huge = changes that are actually 1/2degree or 3-4mm different.Given how bad the 2nd...

Have we reached a plateau in geometry now? Updates that are called huge = changes that are actually 1/2degree or 3-4mm different.
Given how bad the 2nd hand market is right now who is going to take the hit upgrading their bike for very marginal differences.
If you were in the market for a 150mm trail bike would take a V4 Bronson/Previous gen Stuntjumper for 30-40% off or pay full whack for a current one?

Geometry updates have run its course. Name of the game unfortunately seems to be „integration“, which is why we see some companies go all in on trying to make their bikes look cleaner by routing through the headset or foregoing some cables at all, to the detriment of the customer. 

They still need a reason for people to buy new models so it’s either visual upgrades or stuff like in frame storage. The latter is nice, but i wish they would instead focus on making bikes easier to work on rather than harder and making them more reliable.

What is there really to improve on bike frames now besides maybe rear suspension performance (and even that is pretty dialed) and them not breaking?

3ullit
8/20/2024 3:04am
You mean like this? - https://thesuspensionlab.nz/blog/2021/1/31/effects-of-temperature-on-suspension-performanceI ran those tests about 5 years ago, it just took a while to get round to writing them up...

You mean like this? - https://thesuspensionlab.nz/blog/2021/1/31/effects-of-temperature-on-suspension-performance

I ran those tests about 5 years ago, it just took a while to get round to writing them up. It was mostly comparing different oils to see how much affect they had but overall the changes were pretty minor. I've found on the trail that shocks heat up pretty rapidly to around 20*c (even bouncing around the carpark will warm it up alot) and then starts to taper off and typically reach an equilibrium between 30 and 40 degrees. Through that range the different in damping is negligible. There might be some cases where the rate of heating exceeds the cooling from air flow but that would be pretty extreme, ie several minutes of massive repeated boulders at high speed! Changes in air spring are much greater so more likely what people feel during a run, or maybe the increase in IFP pressure for some shocks (and yes my tests were normalise to remove gas pressure across the range)

Typically the highest amount of energy comes from higher bike speeds so the cooling is automatically increased and the issue self-corrects for the most part

An aluminium shock body will feel crazy hot at only 50 degrees so even the most extreme shock temps people see aren't really that hot. Much hotter than that would become an actual burn hazard for people too! I still want to do some more trail tests (rate of heating could be an interesting metric for how a bike is set up too..) but I think there is actually a pretty safe margin and enough headroom that overheating isn't a major issue. Even Scott bikes have a cooling duct for the internal shocks which seems to channel enough air to keep it under control, especially when all the air through the hole will get directed straight on to the shock. Still a terrible idea for other reasons but heat isn't one of them!

Thanks! But do you really consider a 15% change in force for 20 degree change in temperature neglegible? Seems like quite a lot to me. Of course this is not true for all oils.

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
8/20/2024 3:23am
Moi Moi mentioned the shock performance degrading very quickly on the wrapped tues he was riding at Thredbo. Said something along the lines of it turning...

Moi Moi mentioned the shock performance degrading very quickly on the wrapped tues he was riding at Thredbo. Said something along the lines of it turning into a pogo stick in a run. 

Dave Waugh wrote:
Hmm has anyone ever done a proper test/analysis of shock performance to temperature change?As the biggest suspension geek I can think of @TheSuspensionLabNZ have you ever...

Hmm has anyone ever done a proper test/analysis of shock performance to temperature change?
As the biggest suspension geek I can think of @TheSuspensionLabNZ have you ever run across any detailed tests rather than just the usual online forum subjective reckons?

You mean like this? - https://thesuspensionlab.nz/blog/2021/1/31/effects-of-temperature-on-suspension-performanceI ran those tests about 5 years ago, it just took a while to get round to writing them up...

You mean like this? - https://thesuspensionlab.nz/blog/2021/1/31/effects-of-temperature-on-suspension-performance

I ran those tests about 5 years ago, it just took a while to get round to writing them up. It was mostly comparing different oils to see how much affect they had but overall the changes were pretty minor. I've found on the trail that shocks heat up pretty rapidly to around 20*c (even bouncing around the carpark will warm it up alot) and then starts to taper off and typically reach an equilibrium between 30 and 40 degrees. Through that range the different in damping is negligible. There might be some cases where the rate of heating exceeds the cooling from air flow but that would be pretty extreme, ie several minutes of massive repeated boulders at high speed! Changes in air spring are much greater so more likely what people feel during a run, or maybe the increase in IFP pressure for some shocks (and yes my tests were normalise to remove gas pressure across the range)

Typically the highest amount of energy comes from higher bike speeds so the cooling is automatically increased and the issue self-corrects for the most part

An aluminium shock body will feel crazy hot at only 50 degrees so even the most extreme shock temps people see aren't really that hot. Much hotter than that would become an actual burn hazard for people too! I still want to do some more trail tests (rate of heating could be an interesting metric for how a bike is set up too..) but I think there is actually a pretty safe margin and enough headroom that overheating isn't a major issue. Even Scott bikes have a cooling duct for the internal shocks which seems to channel enough air to keep it under control, especially when all the air through the hole will get directed straight on to the shock. Still a terrible idea for other reasons but heat isn't one of them!

Um... 

"-Also, if you drive to the trail with your bike on the outside of the car, the wind chill will reduce its temperature even further!"

Windchill is a factor for humans (or warm blooded beings) or anything above the ambient temperwture as the moving air cools better than stagnant air. The bike at 10 Celsius outside will equalize to 10 degrees being stationary or at 130 kph on the roof of the car. 

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
8/20/2024 8:03am

kona remote X and remote 160 DL ebikes launched today

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/introducing-all-new-kona-remote-x-and-remote-160-dl

kona.jpg?VersionId=Q2CwKgQLD3bqHhGrMdZYCpF7kQQi

re: temperatures...i've touched the shock bolt head on the outside of the frame on jonny's bike 5 minutes after a run at mtn creek (which isn't super long) and it was too hot to keep a finger on. does that matter for shock internals? no idea.

8/20/2024 8:26am

Glad to see removable batteries on those 2 new Kona eebs. Press release captures my thoughts exactly (until we get solid state batteries):

The battery isn't the biggest at 612 Wh but Kona can supply a spare if you want to double your laps”

8/20/2024 9:08am

Fox Transfer Neo is here. Reviews are up on the red site. 

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
8/20/2024 9:10am
29 wrote:

Review is up on OUR site!!! 😘

krabo83
8/20/2024 9:28am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2024 9:28am
iceman2058 wrote:

The FOX Transfer Neo wireless dropper is officially out - here's everything you want to know about it: https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/seatposts/fox/transfer-neo-facto….

lol, i was merely joking when i said „1k dropper incomin“ a couple of pages back… 1100€ GTFO!!!

fox has absolutely no sense for reality 🤯

Jakub_G
8/20/2024 9:35am
krabo83 wrote:

lol, i was merely joking when i said „1k dropper incomin“ a couple of pages back… 1100€ GTFO!!!

And you thought they had one before? Come on, no one is buying this thing outside of OEM unless completely out of mind. 

TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
331st
8/20/2024 9:35am
Primoz wrote:
"That makes a difference of about 5°C." I expected more to be honest... There were also heatsinks to mount to the valve bridge of X2 shocks in...

"That makes a difference of about 5°C." I expected more to be honest... 

There were also heatsinks to mount to the valve bridge of X2 shocks in the past.

How long before we see computer fans and some heatsinks mounted to shocks on the world cup circuit? 

"Sorry guys, can't ride, I forgot to charge the battery for my shock fan on my new Gambler."

veefour
Fantasy
315th
8/20/2024 9:39am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2024 9:40am
sspomer wrote:
kona remote X and remote 160 DL ebikes launched todayhttps://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/introducing-all-new-kona-remote-x-and-remote-160-dlre: temperatures...i've touched the shock bolt head on the outside of the frame on jonny's...

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/introducing-all-new-kona-remote-x-and-remote-160-dl

re: temperatures...i've touched the shock bolt head on the outside of the frame on jonny's bike 5 minutes after a run at mtn creek (which isn't super long) and it was too hot to keep a finger on. does that matter for shock internals? no idea.

"All new"? I guess they're hoping no-one will notice both bikes are specced with the older EP800 motors.

gibbon
8/20/2024 9:43am

Modern bike advancements.....Heavy, Expensive,Electronic- Choose 3.

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
8/20/2024 9:43am
veefour wrote:

"All new"? I guess they're hoping no-one will notice both bikes are specced with the older EP800 motors.

fwiw, kona is pretty open about their bikes launches being "late" with all they've gone through on the business end of things. 

FGCKB
8/20/2024 9:47am

Fox dropper seems nice. Bummer they don't offer it in non-Kashima coating. Hopefully the Bikeyoke one turns out to be good.

gbcoke
8/20/2024 9:47am
sspomer wrote:
kona remote X and remote 160 DL ebikes launched todayhttps://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/introducing-all-new-kona-remote-x-and-remote-160-dlre: temperatures...i've touched the shock bolt head on the outside of the frame on jonny's...

veefour wrote:

It's obviously a matter of these bikes sitting for a few years in the warehouse while Kent didn't pay suppliers .

Now with the new (old) owners these need to move .

With the right price and audience like rental fleets maybe they can get some of them out (maybe) . 

8/20/2024 9:51am
29 wrote:

iceman2058 wrote:

Review is up on OUR site!!! 😘

it’s all about being early by a few minutes in a thread only nerds care even remotely about 

that said i still read both reviews Smile

PJ205
Fantasy
476th
8/20/2024 9:51am
FGCKB wrote:

Fox dropper seems nice. Bummer they don't offer it in non-Kashima coating. Hopefully the Bikeyoke one turns out to be good.

Performance Elite version will be OEM only, at least for now.

TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
331st
8/20/2024 9:53am

I know I'm late to the Scott Gambler shock heat discussion, and I know our resident experts have said shock heat isn't a big factor on performance, but... what if they put the shock inside and then decide to put part of the shock outside

External reservoir shock Fox Scott Gambler
nskerb
8/20/2024 10:06am
Primoz wrote:
"That makes a difference of about 5°C." I expected more to be honest... There were also heatsinks to mount to the valve bridge of X2 shocks in...

"That makes a difference of about 5°C." I expected more to be honest... 

There were also heatsinks to mount to the valve bridge of X2 shocks in the past.

How long before we see computer fans and some heatsinks mounted to shocks on the world cup circuit? 

TEAMROBOT wrote:

"Sorry guys, can't ride, I forgot to charge the battery for my shock fan on my new Gambler."

*Genius* cable switched electric fan integrated into my synchro one piece bar/stem

ZAKBROWN!
Fantasy
229th
8/20/2024 10:40am
mxhntrggr wrote:

It definitely exists - I saw Matt Hunter walking his through Whistler Village, and then again climbing Blackcomb during Crankworx last month.  That bike in the pic looks like it has the full Neo treatment - new coil shock and brake sensors are visible.

krabo83
8/20/2024 10:47am
krabo83 wrote:

sorry, i stand corrected... it's even 1300€ msrp with taxes in europe LOL

8/20/2024 10:47am
TEAMROBOT wrote:
I know I'm late to the Scott Gambler shock heat discussion, and I know our resident experts have said shock heat isn't a big factor on...

I know I'm late to the Scott Gambler shock heat discussion, and I know our resident experts have said shock heat isn't a big factor on performance, but... what if they put the shock inside and then decide to put part of the shock outside

If they could do it 20 years ago we can do it today!

image 22.png?VersionId=.YJ54u
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
8/20/2024 11:13am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2024 11:14am
TEAMROBOT wrote:
I know I'm late to the Scott Gambler shock heat discussion, and I know our resident experts have said shock heat isn't a big factor on...

Mount the shock with universal joints (sideways, ala Pole) and mount the piggyback somewhere on the frame.

More freedom for water bottle clearance, less binding of the shock. Should be somewhat easy to retrofit on RS shocks since the piggy is bolt-on.

jgaube
8/20/2024 11:38am

Any ideas on when we might see Fox release electronic shocks?

gibbon
8/20/2024 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2024 12:17pm
mxhntrggr wrote:
Spy shots of the new alloy stumpy, that has cable ports, on an ad for a wireless dropper. 

Spy shots of the new alloy stumpy, that has cable ports, on an ad for a wireless dropper. 

Palpatine Ironic - Imgflip

Some would consider it......unnatural.

Batteries you say......
hv c.jpg?VersionId=G0MRTsHxQTLD0g3z.GKXhMY

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest