MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
Losifer
Fantasy
1741st
7/3/2024 6:32am
earleb wrote:
  Neko goes over Gen 2 of the enduro bike. Orders opening later in the summer. 

Neko goes over Gen 2 of the enduro bike. Orders opening later in the summer. 

I have absolutely no need for another 170mm enduro bike- My 3 year old Knolly Chilcotin rides great and will probably last for many more years. 

But I know I'm gonna try and figure out a way to buy one of these...

jonkranked
Fantasy
824th
7/3/2024 6:34am

Huh?

How long have Saints be around for, 11 years now? And Trickstuff are the ones resting on their laurels.

Good joke

Saint M820 was 2012, so 12 years. 

Rick26
7/3/2024 6:35am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2024 6:36am
To add to the rumors, Does the new Stumpy being wireless only indicate that a shimano wireless drivetrain is near? Seems odd to restrict the SJ...

To add to the rumors,

Does the new Stumpy being wireless only indicate that a shimano wireless drivetrain is near? Seems odd to restrict the SJ to one manufacturer only for drivetrain. Specialized likely knows more than we do. 

1llumA wrote:
Yes it is pretty much guaranteed Shimano is coming with new wireless drive train soon not only for MTB but also because they need a 12...

Yes it is pretty much guaranteed Shimano is coming with new wireless drive train soon not only for MTB but also because they need a 12 speed Di2 1x derailleur for the gravel segment. Current mechanical 12speed gravel derailleur are just rebadged XT and SLX long and medium cage derailleur with a cable tension adjuster added.

The only problem I see is that current Shimano Di2 technology is NOT wireless.

Stumpjumper 15 carbon frames will not be able to accomodate for Di2 derailleur cable.

Shimano will be forced to come out with a newer generation with rechargeable batteries on the actual derailleur just like SRAM is able to do both (wireless & cable).

sprungmass
7/3/2024 6:47am
Primoz wrote:
Based on what the offering on the road is and how soon wireless only frames started coming out there is for sure something in the works...

Based on what the offering on the road is and how soon wireless only frames started coming out there is for sure something in the works. Has to be. Specialized wouldn't leave the likes of Shimano out, especially since they are exclusively running Fox suspension.

Let's not forget the fact Fox's Neo ecosystem is just around the corner. That includes a wireless dropper, shock and most likely a fork damper too. This Stumpjumper will be the perfect poster child for that system.

7/3/2024 6:48am

Trickstuff brakes are still one of the best brakes on the market after all those years. Over the years they have changed things to make them even better. Like the handlebar support to not damage carbon Bars and other thinks like this.

i love mine and wouldn‘t sell them.

I had some of the Asian copies in my hands and they are ok but the quality cann‘t be compared.

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
7/3/2024 6:53am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2024 7:01am

les gets DH pit bits video with some interesting stuff. less electronics, more grinding out metal in 2025! 

Video Contents
0:00 - RockShox Fork Rebuilds
1:04 - e13 Sidekick Clutch Hub
2:18 - Removing Frame Material for Flex on Danny Hart's GT
3:39 - Epic Tools - Giant Factory Off-Road
5:50 - Pivot Factory Racing Pits
6:21 - Norco Factory Racing
7:25 - FOX Fork Rebuilds
9:08 - Belt-drive Gearbox Gamux DH Prototype Bike
10:59 - Finn Iles Wants the Win

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
7/3/2024 7:05am

Huh?

How long have Saints be around for, 11 years now? And Trickstuff are the ones resting on their laurels.

Good joke

Except we know from this thread that Shimano are developing, whereas Trickstuff have a new colour 

AJW1
Fantasy
1910th
7/3/2024 7:13am

"Similarly, 95% of the people that buy a carbon Stumpjumper never ride it anywhere close to its potential.  But with this new version, Spesh has flipped the percentages compared to the Tacoma/4runner.  They've optimized the bike for the 95% rather than the 5%.  And they're not hiding it.  From their website, "It literally uses more travel for the same size bump, thanks to its flatter spring curve in the first 70% of travel."  They've made something that for more casual riders (i.e., the 95%) is going to be more comfortable for them (at the speeds and on the terrain they ride) and make it easier for them to find traction."

Yes - I spotted in the video there were a few shots where the rider was using like three quarters plus of the travel riding round a mildly chundery bermed corner.

Whats the final part of the travel going ot feel like on big hits?

Am I oversimplifying it by saying its really the inverse of the EpicWC from last year, where they managed to make it have minimal travel and no sag for moderate use but full movement on the bigger impacts.

If it is, then well done Spesh for changing what we accept as shock performance, even if it does turn into an evolutionary dead end.

7/3/2024 7:24am

Anyone here going to eurobike?

If you are, mor info on new galfer brake please. There is a flash of it in their insta reel

seanfisseli
7/3/2024 7:29am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2024 7:31am
AJW1 wrote:
"Similarly, 95% of the people that buy a carbon Stumpjumper never ride it anywhere close to its potential.  But with this new version, Spesh has flipped...

"Similarly, 95% of the people that buy a carbon Stumpjumper never ride it anywhere close to its potential.  But with this new version, Spesh has flipped the percentages compared to the Tacoma/4runner.  They've optimized the bike for the 95% rather than the 5%.  And they're not hiding it.  From their website, "It literally uses more travel for the same size bump, thanks to its flatter spring curve in the first 70% of travel."  They've made something that for more casual riders (i.e., the 95%) is going to be more comfortable for them (at the speeds and on the terrain they ride) and make it easier for them to find traction."

Yes - I spotted in the video there were a few shots where the rider was using like three quarters plus of the travel riding round a mildly chundery bermed corner.

Am I oversimplifying it by saying its really the inverse of the EpicWC from last year, where they managed to make it have minimal travel and no sag for moderate use but full movement on the bigger impacts.

If it is, then well done Spesh for changing what we accept as shock performance, even if it does turn into an evolutionary dead end.

Read the white paper. There is less time bottoming out and less major bottom out events claimed. What’s revolutionary about the shock isn’t how it’s feels for the 70%, like an Enduro, it’s how for that last 30% it doesn’t feel like a 145mm bike slamming into or riding at bottom out.

I think this is one of those developments that we are going to have to ride to understand. 

austin-NC
Fantasy
1461st
7/3/2024 7:43am

Guys this Genie shock isn't really that revolutionary, its a big air can 3/4 of the travel and a tiny air can the last 1/4 of travel. Its a novel idea and will give you good bottoming resistance without affecting as much of the stroke as traditional volume spacers do but its certainly going to have a feel that I think some wont get along with. 

This is a super easy to execute design and one Im sure Fox or Rockshox (the Megneg was connected to the negative chamber but was executed similar with the secondary outer chamber) have thought of in the past but Specialized probably got Fox to see that they could come up with some great marketing and also sell a ton of OEM shocks. 

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
7/3/2024 7:55am
sspomer wrote:
les gets DH pit bits video with some interesting stuff. less electronics, more grinding out metal in 2025!    Video Contents 0:00 - RockShox Fork Rebuilds...

les gets DH pit bits video with some interesting stuff. less electronics, more grinding out metal in 2025! 

Video Contents

Speaking of e.thirteen hubs, when is the @TEAMROBOT freehub test coming out?

Snfoilhat
Fantasy
1642nd
7/3/2024 8:28am
Snfoilhat wrote:
I haven’t been thrilled with my time on a mid travel 29er, and despite my enduring hope that keeps me reading this forum, i can’t imagine...

I haven’t been thrilled with my time on a mid travel 29er, and despite my enduring hope that keeps me reading this forum, i can’t imagine that any tweak of geometry or suspension or material science is going to shift that sense of meh. My 2020 frame doesn’t even need new bearings yet. Mark off another year of hoping that the playbike category comes back.

What’s a play bike to you?

Thanks for asking!

It would be hard to say much positive about a single part on this bike (maybe a Chromag pedal fan gives the Scarabs a pass); the shock is laughable, and you can tick parts off finding every one less good than what's offered today. But as a whole it worked surprisingly well and I loved it. If I have an insight here (and I'm not sure I do), it's that bikes I've ridden since then have phenomenal sell sheets and each individual component has a great marketing story, a history of winning, a legion of online fans, etc -- but put them all together and you get a ride that is lackluster. I don't have the resources to do some study on myself and my equipment to tease apart why.

SteveClimber
Fantasy
2245th
7/3/2024 8:44am
AJW1 wrote:
"Similarly, 95% of the people that buy a carbon Stumpjumper never ride it anywhere close to its potential.  But with this new version, Spesh has flipped...

Read the white paper. There is less time bottoming out and less major bottom out events claimed. What’s revolutionary about the shock isn’t how it’s feels...

Read the white paper. There is less time bottoming out and less major bottom out events claimed. What’s revolutionary about the shock isn’t how it’s feels for the 70%, like an Enduro, it’s how for that last 30% it doesn’t feel like a 145mm bike slamming into or riding at bottom out.

I think this is one of those developments that we are going to have to ride to understand. 

Playing devils advocate here but isnt this problem solved with 1. progressive leverage curves 2. Shock ramp-up via volume spacers 3. HBO damping circuits 4. The severity of a harsh bottom out is way to exaggerated 

I'm not saying the stumpy is a bad bike, but "solving" bottom outs really isn't that important IMO.

Finkill
Fantasy
3558th
7/3/2024 8:48am

Anyone here going to eurobike?

If you are, mor info on new galfer brake please. There is a flash of it in their insta reel

I will try and get a look at it tomorrow. 

Ceecee
7/3/2024 8:53am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2024 8:54am

Snfoilhat: dimensions, combined wheel and tire weight, and sentiment

kashima_nuts
Fantasy
2163rd
7/3/2024 9:03am
Elon Musk talked about delays in his FSD prediction - the error was thinking of innovation as exponential improvements. Instead he said it’s more like a...

Elon Musk talked about delays in his FSD prediction - the error was thinking of innovation as exponential improvements. Instead he said it’s more like a series of stacked logarithmic curves, every so often there’s a big jump followed by small incremental gains, until the next big jump.

I think this is true for any industry and I’m not sure MTB is any different. Personally I don’t think bikes have plateaued, we’re just in a period of incremental improvements until the next jump. Who knows when it will be or what it looks like. But I’m willing to bet that in ten years, today’s bikes will feel no less obsolete than bikes of ten years ago feel today. 

Few thoughts here, being this is something I often think about.  First, I agree that most technology changes in big jumps followed by long periods of...

Few thoughts here, being this is something I often think about. 

First, I agree that most technology changes in big jumps followed by long periods of optimization. I can point at all sorts of things, such as the jet engine to showcase this type of pattern. 

That said, what I am really saying as its applied to bicycles is very simple -  I no longer am compelled to buy a new bike every 12-24 months for me to find any incremental improvement when it comes to going faster or going faster more consistently. I've observed this phenomonia since about 2019/2020, and it shows no signs of stopping. 

Does this mean things don't change or there are no improvements? No. But I have strong evidence that bike technology, as measured by a riders ability to go down a hill faster and more consistently faster, was improving materially year over year up until the 2019/2020 marker. 

To my point, if I were to go grab an off the shelf Enduro from 2020 (the latest one that is many years old), I'd be hard pressed to find any bike from 2024 that would let me go faster. Sure, part of the problem is the rider (I'm 39, not 19 - and never was that good in the first place), but I can also point to other examples of this in the sport (with much better riders). 

So to your final sentence, the same way I happily ski on skis that are 10 years old, when I have brand new ones to also ski, or the way you'll see a good rider show up to an XC moto race on a 10 year old bike and still be competitive in the A/AA class, I'd bet there will be bikes that pass the test of time in a way they wouldn't have in the 2010-2020 decade. 

Possible. Or the industry could realize some "big jump" in the next few years that makes your 2020 start to feel pretty long in the tooth. This may sound ridiculous but imagine some new wheel/tire tech that requires different frame standards. Or they figure out how to make gearboxes really good and the industry moves towards that. We don't know what it's going to be but it's virtually a guaranteed eventuality that there will be some significant improvement that isn't backwards compatible, and will make older bikes feel outdated. Would be interesting to graph and plot all the major innovations in MTB over the past 40 years. You could probably get pretty good at estimating when the next one will be.

No different than CPU/GPU innovation. Everyone says Moore's law is dead and then Apple releases the M1 chip giving 150% gains over intel. It's logarithmic curves, and between each jump a bunch of people start claiming innovation has plateaued (which is true, but only temporarily).    

seanfisseli
7/3/2024 9:12am
AJW1 wrote:

Read the white paper. There is less time bottoming out and less major bottom out events claimed. What’s revolutionary about the shock isn’t how it’s feels...

Playing devils advocate here but isnt this problem solved with 1. progressive leverage curves 2. Shock ramp-up via volume spacers 3. HBO damping circuits 4. The...

Playing devils advocate here but isnt this problem solved with 1. progressive leverage curves 2. Shock ramp-up via volume spacers 3. HBO damping circuits 4. The severity of a harsh bottom out is way to exaggerated 

I'm not saying the stumpy is a bad bike, but "solving" bottom outs really isn't that important IMO.

My buddy runs his shock at like 35% sag. He HAS to be bottoming out that thing so hard, so often. I think a lot of folks either a) don’t mind the feeling of bottoming out constantly or b) don’t mind riding a harsh over-sprung shock.

I’ll tell you that the people involved in making this bike are looking to make bikes that feel good to ride and perform well. The problem with solving the problem on the damper end is that different rider spring rates require different tunes, and that just doesn’t work for the majority of riders. Sure you could look at HBO but there is no way that feels as smooth as a pneumatic solution, and that requires another circuit I assume? Adjusting the psa is just volume reducer. Also, I’m assuming that if you ride heavy on the PSA it’s probably not as detrimental as riding heavy on an HBO where cycling that fluid creates heat and other byproducts, but I’m getting over my skis here now.

im defending the concept here because looking out into the future I am very excited by the possibilities of psa tech in shocks and forks. It’s so much more intuitive and simple compared to other multi-stage air springs. I also like radical thinking and elegant solutions, and compared to a lot of Suspension Contraptions I have seen, this feels most like where I personally would want the technology on my bike to go.

Dave113
7/3/2024 9:25am

Playing devils advocate here but isnt this problem solved with 1. progressive leverage curves 2. Shock ramp-up via volume spacers 3. HBO damping circuits 4. The...

My buddy runs his shock at like 35% sag. He HAS to be bottoming out that thing so hard, so often. I think a lot of...

My buddy runs his shock at like 35% sag. He HAS to be bottoming out that thing so hard, so often. I think a lot of folks either a) don’t mind the feeling of bottoming out constantly or b) don’t mind riding a harsh over-sprung shock.

I’ll tell you that the people involved in making this bike are looking to make bikes that feel good to ride and perform well. The problem with solving the problem on the damper end is that different rider spring rates require different tunes, and that just doesn’t work for the majority of riders. Sure you could look at HBO but there is no way that feels as smooth as a pneumatic solution, and that requires another circuit I assume? Adjusting the psa is just volume reducer. Also, I’m assuming that if you ride heavy on the PSA it’s probably not as detrimental as riding heavy on an HBO where cycling that fluid creates heat and other byproducts, but I’m getting over my skis here now.

im defending the concept here because looking out into the future I am very excited by the possibilities of psa tech in shocks and forks. It’s so much more intuitive and simple compared to other multi-stage air springs. I also like radical thinking and elegant solutions, and compared to a lot of Suspension Contraptions I have seen, this feels most like where I personally would want the technology on my bike to go.

I agree. You get the benefits of lower progression which will work well in less demanding scenarios and a relatively simple but likely very effective ramp-up in spring rate that spreads the bottom-out progression over a wider and more controlled region of travel vs simply reducing volume vs tokens. This shock could work very well for a lot of riders, and if not it's a std size so you can use any shock you like, and if you want more progression it's pretty likely Cascade will make a Link for it like they did the Evo. 

PeteB
7/3/2024 10:00am
FallenMojo wrote:
  105 Nm and 120 Nm with boost, 800w battery at around 20 kg bike. It's kind of insane. What were the rest doing?

105 Nm and 120 Nm with boost, 800w battery at around 20 kg bike. It's kind of insane. What were the rest doing?

Based on the cutaway photos on the other site, looks like this motor shares components with the Bafang BBSHD motor. Namely the delrin gear with the integrated roller cutch, and it's axle/pinion gear. If DJI is using Bafang tech, then I entirely belive their claimed power specs. This could be a slightly de-tuned BBSHD with a neater, integrated motor housing and a recognizable brand name. If these are indeed Bafang designs, might the DJI motors also be serviceable by end users, like the BBS series? 

Snfoilhat
Fantasy
1642nd
7/3/2024 10:08am
Ceecee wrote:

I can work with that. I just need to borrow someone’s Transition Scout size small in my favorite color and have an adventure, camp beside a waterfall, ride in a herd of mountain ponies, overwrite some new positive associations in my bike brain. Easy! :D

TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
331st
7/3/2024 10:21am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2024 10:44am
Snfoilhat wrote:
I can work with that. I just need to borrow someone’s Transition Scout size small in my favorite color and have an adventure, camp beside a...

I can work with that. I just need to borrow someone’s Transition Scout size small in my favorite color and have an adventure, camp beside a waterfall, ride in a herd of mountain ponies, overwrite some new positive associations in my bike brain. Easy! :D

Shoutout for wheelsize, which is to say that a modern size-small Scout is still going to feel different than your SX. 26" wheels with single ply tires are A LOT lighter than 29" wheels with trail or DH casing tires. We all rode crazy light wheels and tires for a long time before we got smart about pinchflats and dents, but the tradeoff is that you will never get a big heavy 29" or mullet wheelset to feel as light and playful and flickable as a 26" bike with EXO tires. Two sides of the same coin, sort of like how heavy wagon wheels carry speed over rough terrain so much better than single ply, high-psi 26" wheels and tires.

ARonBurgundy
Fantasy
123rd
7/3/2024 10:23am
Ceecee wrote:

Snfoilhat wrote:
I can work with that. I just need to borrow someone’s Transition Scout size small in my favorite color and have an adventure, camp beside a...

Maybe a Trek Ticket S? 

Dave_Camp
Fantasy
76th
7/3/2024 10:26am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2024 10:27am
TEAMROBOT wrote:
Shoutout for wheelsize, which is to say that a modern size-small Scout is still going to feel different than your SX. 26" wheels with single ply...

Shoutout for wheelsize, which is to say that a modern size-small Scout is still going to feel different than your SX. 26" wheels with single ply tires are A LOT lighter than 29" wheels with trail or DH casing tires. We all rode crazy light wheels and tires for a long time before we got smart about pinchflats and dents, but the tradeoff is that you will never get a big heavy 29" or mullet wheelset to feel as light and playful and flickable as a 26" bike with EXO tires. Two sides of the same coin, sort of like how heavy wagon wheels carry speed over rough terrain so much better than single ply, high-psi 26" wheels and tires.

Very true. I was thinking back about when I worked for Trek 2011-2014. My trail bikes were regularly 27lbs- remedy/slash.  

But that was 26” wheels, 650g tires, 10 speed 11-36 cassette, 160 rotors and 4 lbs carbon frames. Everything broke regularly, flat tire once a week kinda thing.

TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
331st
7/3/2024 10:30am
sspomer wrote:
les gets DH pit bits video with some interesting stuff. less electronics, more grinding out metal in 2025!    Video Contents 0:00 - RockShox Fork Rebuilds...

Video Contents

The Danny Hart frame mods are so sick. More flex in the rear triangle, but less at the brake mount. Smart man. Also, cool to see the data-intensive approach from the MS team regarding the new E.Thirteen hub. Have really been impressed by O.Chain and super curious to hear/see more about the Sidekick hub. It's a good time to be a tech nerd.

SteveClimber
Fantasy
2245th
7/3/2024 10:30am

My buddy runs his shock at like 35% sag. He HAS to be bottoming out that thing so hard, so often. I think a lot of...

Dave113 wrote:
I agree. You get the benefits of lower progression which will work well in less demanding scenarios and a relatively simple but likely very effective ramp-up...

I agree. You get the benefits of lower progression which will work well in less demanding scenarios and a relatively simple but likely very effective ramp-up in spring rate that spreads the bottom-out progression over a wider and more controlled region of travel vs simply reducing volume vs tokens. This shock could work very well for a lot of riders, and if not it's a std size so you can use any shock you like, and if you want more progression it's pretty likely Cascade will make a Link for it like they did the Evo. 

Yeah idk.

I'll ride one when it's not snowing outside, but I think you've all drunk the cool-aid.

Spring curves really aren't that important in bikes (assuming they're not something insane) and the curve shown from Specialized' marketing material is very very similar to the curves you get on bike with a progressive ramp towards the end. 

The most important thing in suspension is damping. An inline 55mm stroke shock on 145mm is just not adequate to produce enough damping force, it doesn't matter how fancy your airspring is. 

noodlenosteeze
Fantasy
1637th
7/3/2024 10:34am
FallenMojo wrote:

More of a comment on the bike weight than anything else - most full power big battery e-bikes are designed around having a battery door. You'd be surprised as to how much extra material is needed in order to not make a frame that will fold in on itself with a door for easy hotswaps. 

Motor looks nice though. Wonder how tuneable it really is. 

Whattheheel
7/3/2024 10:34am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2024 10:36am
Ceecee wrote:

Snfoilhat wrote:

Maybe a Trek Ticket S? 

f.i.t.nj
7/3/2024 10:35am

So interested in the sidekick! Waiting to build a new DH rear wheel until the effectiveness and availability to buy one is known.  

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest