MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
6/30/2024 11:03pm

With the way innovations are handled in this industry, I think a good measure of sarcasm and sometimes looking like a dick is a necessity...

dom
7/1/2024 1:31am
Decoy and Decoy 29 are mostly out of stock with a soon/July/Aug restock date so that checks. I can see some room for some spec updates...

Decoy and Decoy 29 are mostly out of stock with a soon/July/Aug restock date so that checks. I can see some room for some spec updates on a few models but otherwise I wonder if it's a full frame refresh? I've been waiting on the 29 core 4 to come back into stock on sale -$2000, the geo and specs seem great, a light emtb to me would only mean less range and -7 to 9 lbs.

grinch wrote:
Fingers crossed, im wondering the same.  I'd like to add a bosch sx 150mm or more preferably. Those bikes have been coming in around 41-43lbs with...

Fingers crossed, im wondering the same.

I'd like to add a bosch sx 150mm or more preferably. Those bikes have been coming in around 41-43lbs with the 400w battery and 47ish lbs w the 250w extender. 400w with bosch should get close to my 540w and shimano

I’d like to see the Fazua or Bosch with a swappable battery, like the Transition Relay. I’d rather swap a whole new battery at the truck...

I’d like to see the Fazua or Bosch with a swappable battery, like the Transition Relay. I’d rather swap a whole new battery at the truck and there’s zero reason these bikes can’t be compatible with a range extender as well. Other than the Decoy the Relay is by far the most popular emtb I’m seeing people on in and around the bike park. Really think the market is wide open for long travel mid weight eebs.

totaly agree , 170mm with fazua is the best option for me

grinch
Fantasy
246th
7/1/2024 7:56am
Decoy and Decoy 29 are mostly out of stock with a soon/July/Aug restock date so that checks. I can see some room for some spec updates...

Decoy and Decoy 29 are mostly out of stock with a soon/July/Aug restock date so that checks. I can see some room for some spec updates on a few models but otherwise I wonder if it's a full frame refresh? I've been waiting on the 29 core 4 to come back into stock on sale -$2000, the geo and specs seem great, a light emtb to me would only mean less range and -7 to 9 lbs.

grinch wrote:
Fingers crossed, im wondering the same.  I'd like to add a bosch sx 150mm or more preferably. Those bikes have been coming in around 41-43lbs with...

I'd like to add a bosch sx 150mm or more preferably. Those bikes have been coming in around 41-43lbs with the 400w battery and 47ish lbs w the 250w extender. 400w with bosch should get close to my 540w and shimano

I’d like to see the Fazua or Bosch with a swappable battery, like the Transition Relay. I’d rather swap a whole new battery at the truck...

I’d like to see the Fazua or Bosch with a swappable battery, like the Transition Relay. I’d rather swap a whole new battery at the truck and there’s zero reason these bikes can’t be compatible with a range extender as well. Other than the Decoy the Relay is by far the most popular emtb I’m seeing people on in and around the bike park. Really think the market is wide open for long travel mid weight eebs.

Swappable batteries do add frame weight if youre ok with that.

The sx seems like a durable , rebuildable motor with available parts along with decent power and weight. Seems to strike a nice balance. If it was a 150/160 bike i think i'd want the internal battery w extender option for either 2 hr blast or longer pedals. An sx on a 180/190-200 bike i could go swappable and thatd be my shuttle/dh/park/lift lap bike but really this bike is about getting close to a reasonable dh bike weight so id prefer internal battery.

The dream with a 2 emtb quiver alongside a full power 160-170/170-190 cx w 750w battery or 2 x 500w. I think im more inclined to have the full power external and have 2 x 500 for big alpine adventures in the mountains. Thats where the full power shines. The mid weight is a blaster bike

mxhntrggr
7/1/2024 8:36am

new sram axs derailleur? first seen on a cube bike, googled it and found this

lickmycrinkle
7/1/2024 9:03am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2024 9:04am
mxhntrggr wrote:

I think it already broke cover a year ago as the Apex AXS mullet setup:

https://bikepacking.com/news/sram-apex-eagle-xplr-12-speed/

Kusa
Fantasy
1942nd
7/1/2024 10:26am

New Stumpy tomorrow and not a single leaked photo yet? 

haen
7/1/2024 10:44am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2024 10:47am
Kusa wrote:

New Stumpy tomorrow and not a single leaked photo yet? 

Expecting the design to mirror the Levo SL.

Prototype pic from that other website. 

7/1/2024 11:20am
grinch wrote:

grinch wrote:
Swappable batteries do add frame weight if youre ok with that.  The sx seems like a durable , rebuildable motor with available parts along with decent...

The sx seems like a durable , rebuildable motor with available parts along with decent power and weight. Seems to strike a nice balance. If it was a 150/160 bike i think i'd want the internal battery w extender option for either 2 hr blast or longer pedals. An sx on a 180/190-200 bike i could go swappable and thatd be my shuttle/dh/park/lift lap bike but really this bike is about getting close to a reasonable dh bike weight so id prefer internal battery.

The dream with a 2 emtb quiver alongside a full power 160-170/170-190 cx w 750w battery or 2 x 500w. I think im more inclined to have the full power external and have 2 x 500 for big alpine adventures in the mountains. Thats where the full power shines. The mid weight is a blaster bike

I'd rather take a ~1lb weight penalty for a swappable battery than pile a range extender (that is surely over 1lb) on an already not that light SL™ bike where the range extender doesn't even double your range like a swappable battery does. I daily drove a Sight VLT carbon with the 630wh integrated battery for a few years and would've gladly made this tradeoff to have longer days and easier serviceability.

grinch
Fantasy
246th
7/1/2024 12:39pm

grinch wrote:
Swappable batteries do add frame weight if youre ok with that.  The sx seems like a durable , rebuildable motor with available parts along with decent...

I'd rather take a ~1lb weight penalty for a swappable battery than pile a range extender (that is surely over 1lb) on an already not that...

I'd rather take a ~1lb weight penalty for a swappable battery than pile a range extender (that is surely over 1lb) on an already not that light SL™ bike where the range extender doesn't even double your range like a swappable battery does. I daily drove a Sight VLT carbon with the 630wh integrated battery for a few years and would've gladly made this tradeoff to have longer days and easier serviceability.

Sight vlt w a 630w(53?lb) battery gets about the same mileage as a bosch cx with an imaginary(if they existed) 550w(50lb) or an sx with a 475w or there abouts. An sx w the stock 400w (44lb) that most are speccing them with is going to give me about the same as my shimano decoy with the 540w. With a 250 range extender id say atleast equivalent to a shimano ep801 w a 800w battery. 400w/44lb bike would be nice most days. Could chuck that around np. With the extender thats a sizeable day. Big mountain climbs need the full power and all day boost of 2 batteries occasionally. Im out east at the moment so i could get by with a mid power no problem. Im lacking the vert and available long steep climbing. I can keep the revs up here most places so that leans toward the sx and its ability to get that 600w power when youre spinning above 100 rpm. Puts some 150mm cranks on and spin away thru the ec chunder.

Im on a heavy weight mid power bike atm because i still have a e8000/70nm on my 55lb bike.

badIuck
7/1/2024 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2024 1:03pm

I think the next gen of batteries will hit during the upcoming weeks/months for some manufacturers with wh/kg more inline with the new Orbea Rise batteries or the Bosch Compacttube 400.

From my experience the Bosch SX or Fazua are plenty for anyone who isn't very tall or overweight (heavy people) and just wants to get up the fireroads faster/easier. BUT they simply drain the 400wh batteries too fast. Those motors paired with next gen 600wh batteries + RE option should be spot on in my mind.

Such bikes with an weight optimized alloy frame could come in at about 20kg/45lb with "regular" enduro builds and proper tires. Wouldn't care about non removable battery with 600wh mid assist.

That's what I am wishing for anyways.

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
7/1/2024 1:14pm

Battery and range discussion thread someone please. I'd create one but I doubt I could bear the notifications. 

shreda
7/1/2024 3:03pm

DJI coming up with an Ebike motor

All-MTN-MTB
7/1/2024 3:15pm
TimBud wrote:

Battery and range discussion thread someone please. I'd create one but I doubt I could bear the notifications. 

Like it or not, E bikes are where the bulk of MTB development has been in the last 5ish years and where it will continue to be for a while. The E bike stuff being discussed is more on topic than a lot of the brake feel discussion recently in my opinion. 

Dogboy
7/1/2024 3:34pm
TimBud wrote:

Like it or not, E bikes are where the bulk of MTB development has been in the last 5ish years and where it will continue to...

Like it or not, E bikes are where the bulk of MTB development has been in the last 5ish years and where it will continue to be for a while. The E bike stuff being discussed is more on topic than a lot of the brake feel discussion recently in my opinion. 

Yes, the industry is devoting an inordinate amount of energy into e-bike development. That said, there is a dedicated thread on the forum as Spomer has pointed out and it would be appreciated if discussion of such things were taken there.

noodlenosteeze
Fantasy
1637th
7/1/2024 4:41pm
that's because codes are indeed garbage, they were before and they will be in the future, little power and lot of strength required to obtain it...

that's because codes are indeed garbage, they were before and they will be in the future, little power and lot of strength required to obtain it, the exact opposite of what a "downhill" brake should be

Primoz wrote:

Is there anything under the sun that you don't consider garbage?

Onawalk wrote:
Thank You, My thoughts exactly. We could all use a little headed thinking, and the realization that we are all different, ride different, on different terrain...

Thank You,

My thoughts exactly.

We could all use a little headed thinking, and the realization that we are all different, ride different, on different terrain, with different abilities, on different bikes, and have different needs/wants.

We live in a wonderful time, with amazing choices, that all work really well

Thoroughly convinced that most folks will get R's specced on their new bike, run it a few times, experience an issue then make the sweeping decision that all brakes from SRAM are bad. Code RSC's are great brakes to be honest, they've just got a different feel. They wouldn't have survived on the downhill circuit before Mavens if they weren't great brakes. 

Big Bird
7/1/2024 4:58pm
Like it or not, E bikes are where the bulk of MTB development has been in the last 5ish years and where it will continue to...

I know. Why don't you start Vital EebMTB? Or VitalMoped as Bizutch would probably call it. I'm a retired mountain biker. I liked to pedal. I've probably been farther and longer by leg power than you'll ever go on an e-bike. I'm sidelined due to Multiple Sclerosis and I have friends in high places who have offered me free mopeds and I've gratefully declined every time. If VitalMTB turns into VitalMoped I guess I'll have to retire from my position as a Mod and regular user here too. I really hope that never has to happen as I dearly love this sport and this place. Can't we just get back to talking about real mountain bikes?

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
7/1/2024 5:13pm

Big Bird wrote:
I know. Why don't you start Vital EebMTB? Or VitalMoped as Bizutch would probably call it. I'm a retired mountain biker. I liked to pedal. I've...

I know. Why don't you start Vital EebMTB? Or VitalMoped as Bizutch would probably call it. I'm a retired mountain biker. I liked to pedal. I've probably been farther and longer by leg power than you'll ever go on an e-bike. I'm sidelined due to Multiple Sclerosis and I have friends in high places who have offered me free mopeds and I've gratefully declined every time. If VitalMTB turns into VitalMoped I guess I'll have to retire from my position as a Mod and regular user here too. I really hope that never has to happen as I dearly love this sport and this place. Can't we just get back to talking about real mountain bikes?

Seriously, tell Spomer to take that Fauza post to the moped thread Evil

Just jokes!

Back to non-ebike but still electric rumors... SRAM dropped new beta AXS firmware. This typically precedes a new product launch in the nearish future.

inthewoods
7/1/2024 5:57pm
Primoz wrote:

Is there anything under the sun that you don't consider garbage?

the good stuff, which there's plenty, stuff that doesn't perform like a 20$ brake costing 600$, drivetrains that don't fail or slap around while costing thousands...

the good stuff, which there's plenty, stuff that doesn't perform like a 20$ brake costing 600$, drivetrains that don't fail or slap around while costing thousands of $$$, it really doesn't take much.

i might say garbage which is a strong word, but just think about that a code costs r the same as a saint, street price, and nobody has good experience with them, isn't that crap?

back to the rumors.

To falsify your personal anecdotal evidence, here's mine. I've never had great experiences with shimano brakes, and happily choose, purchase, and run exclusively sram brakes on all of my bikes. 

I've had XT, XTR, SLX, and Deore brakes, and every single one of them required a biweekly bleed and broke and had inconsistent bite points.

I've been on codes for 4 years now on trail/enduro bikes and I bleed them once every 6 months. Literally never had a problem, EVER. Happily running mavens on the downhill bike and reveling in their immense power. Even loved my Levels. G2's kinda sucked.

Uncle Cliffy
7/1/2024 6:09pm
Big Bird wrote:
I know. Why don't you start Vital EebMTB? Or VitalMoped as Bizutch would probably call it. I'm a retired mountain biker. I liked to pedal. I've...

Since you’re a MOD, I assume you can see who downvotes you?

You know, because…

7/1/2024 7:55pm
haen wrote:
Expecting the design to mirror the Levo SL. Prototype pic from that other website. 

Expecting the design to mirror the Levo SL.

Prototype pic from that other website. 

That is the prototype for the current (out-going) Stumpy EVO. 

Oldngrey
Fantasy
474th
7/2/2024 12:30am

Rumored Saint brake and how SRAM would spec future builds with code/Maven was where my head was at. I like honest/informed feedback, including negative experiences with Shimano/Sram/BrandX. If that was off topic, fair enough

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
7/2/2024 2:15am

So you don't have to leave Vital:

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest