MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
6/26/2024 12:59am

Honestly, doesn't look bad. The clamp is improved and matchmaker-ish compatible, the hose coupling is a quickfit and the fitting is as small as the hose, meaning internal routing should be a breeze without any need to cut the hose everytime you need to take the brake off the bike. The only question now is if the master cylinder is still plastic.

This, Mavens, Trickstuff and other boutique brands plus the rumored Shimano development sure does look like there is a step change in braking performance about to be unleashed on the general public.

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
6/26/2024 1:21am

Brake lever is carbotecture, but then it says the housing is aluminium and plastic… so there is hope.

2.5mm discs!! Nice

This looks like it could be proper contender.

Calliper bleed port is now more central, so that should help those that struggle to bleed magura.

NicoZesty96
6/26/2024 1:23am
shreda wrote:
Magura Gustav Pro https://r2-bike.com/MAGURA-Gustav-PRO-Scheibenbremse

so they stick to the crappy lever assembly

carbotecture master

ugly af master with a very big 12mm piston,

huge 19x4mm pistons at the caliper with a very weirdly located bleeding nipple

wise choice od the removable cable tho,

could never get them just for how ugly and big these things are.

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
6/26/2024 1:28am
TimBud wrote:
Brake lever is carbotecture, but then it says the housing is aluminium and plastic… so there is hope. 2.5mm discs!! Nice This looks like it could...

Brake lever is carbotecture, but then it says the housing is aluminium and plastic… so there is hope.

2.5mm discs!! Nice

This looks like it could be proper contender.

Calliper bleed port is now more central, so that should help those that struggle to bleed magura.

And the caliper is cross drilled on both sides so bleeding should be easier from that point too. Kiiiinda what Sram is doing with the bleeding edge at the other end of the caliper.

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
6/26/2024 1:35am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2024 1:40am

Just remove the yellow vajazzle rings and it’ll look just fine Nico… better than a Maven imo (stands back for the neg train).

Where did you see it said the master was carbotecture. That page just said the lever but doesn’t mention “master” anywhere.

“Housing” is aluminium and plastic.

Google translate below:

”The rebirth of Magura Gustav evokes memories of the "good, old" times. Referred to as "Swabian anchor", their performance was legendary, the braking performance unrivalled and this is exactly the way the current PRO version continues. It will also set standards in delay, dosability and reliability and will safely stop even heavy E-MTBs at all times.

Encoder unit with Carbotecture brake lever and Easy-Link cable connection

The encoder unit already testifies to power. It is powerfully designed and fits perfectly into the look of modern downhill e-bikes. The ergonomic lever made of light carbotecture material lies well under the fingers and moves a piston with a diameter of 12 mm. It conveys a direct braking feeling and leaves nothing to be desired when it comes to dosability. In addition, it has a predetermined breaking point in order to keep the damage as low as possible in the event of a fall. Thanks to the screwed bearing point, the new lever is quickly installed. Of course, the individual handle width adjustment can be carried out without tools via a small rotary wheel.

The assembly is also very easy to realise. The folding clamp can be attached without removing the handles and allows the attachment of SRAM and Shimano shift levers thanks to the supplied Shiftmix adaptors.

Another innovative solution is the EASY-LINK connecter. Thanks to it, the brake line can be quickly released without special tools. Simply remove the cover cap, pull out the safety pin and the line is removable. Especially with today's frames with internally laid cables, a clever idea.

4-piston brake calliper

The massive brake calliper forged from high-quality aluminum brings the concentrated braking force to the disc. Four pistons with a diameter of 19 mm take over this work. The one-piece version increases the stiffness and ensures a very sensitive response.

The Gustav PRO is the ideal pair with the optionally available Magura MDR-S 2.5 discs. Due to its 2.5 mm thick friction ring, a permanent stability is guaranteed even on long downhill runs. In addition, a diameter of 203 mm is completely sufficient for these. Of course, the conventional brake discs can be used without any problems.

For the best delay, the 13th S brake pads installed. They have about 40% more material compared to the MT7 and ensure quiet and powerful braking, as well as extremely low wear. In addition, long braking is unnecessary due to the special mixture.

Because of course you prefer driving than screws, the individual components of the Gustav PRO are particularly trimmed for durability. Not only the robust brake pads and discs extend the maintenance intervals, but also the quite large expansion tank with 7 ml ensures little air in the system. If venting is still necessary, this is greatly facilitated by an improved valve. Furthermore, there are no hidden corners or dead ends in the oil duct, so that every air bubble is really squeezed out.

Typical of Magura is still the high production quality, so that you can wind down thousands of kilometres without having to worry about your safety.

Technical data:

Application area: Enduro, Freeride, Downhill, E-Bike

Brake calliper material: aluminum, forged

Brake lever material: Carbotecture

Housing material: aluminum, plastic

Material fastening screws: steel

Piston: 4, Ø 19 mm

Brake assembly: Postmount

Recommended brake disc: Magura MDR-S 2.5 | 180 or 203 mm (optional)

Brake medium: Magura Royal Blood mineral oil

Brake line: plastic

Brake pad: Magura Sport 13. S

Brake lever version: 2-finger

Handle width adjustment: yes, tool-free via adjusting wheels

Pressure point adjustment: no

Mounting: on both sides (FlipFlop)

Clamp: divided, shift mix (adaptor for SRAM and Shimano EV enclosed)

Cable length: 2000 mm

Colour: black, anthracite, gray, yellow decals

Weight according to manufacturer: 348g

Weight self-weighted: 363g

Scope of delivery:

1x MAGURA Gustav PRO disc brake with 2000 mm cable

1x adaptor SRAM Matchmaker

1x adaptor Shimano I-Spech EV (left and right)

Accessories for shortening the line

Note:

Brake discs and their adaptors must be purchased separately.”

dom
6/26/2024 1:42am

new proto scott dh in Lalyche tv

image-20240626104116-1

6/26/2024 2:48am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2024 3:38am
dom wrote:

image-20240626104116-1

did they put the shock in the frame? Layout looks a bit like the ransom

Whatever the engineers at Scott are smoking I don’t want none of it

also, going to be interesting to see if the specialized team is going to be running the Gustav or if they stick with the MT7. Doesn’t seem like the Gustav has any advantages in a race setting over a properly set up MT7 and is more focused on e-bikes with that whole ABS crap. 

HexonJuan
6/26/2024 6:39am
Onawalk wrote:
Lets not fan boy too hard on these I have a V1, and V2 OneUp dropper that are not exceptions to the rule when it comes...

Lets not fan boy too hard on these

I have a V1, and V2 OneUp dropper that are not exceptions to the rule when it comes to both reliability, or standouts for OneUps customer relations.  Both are known to be questionable (looking at you bushing that literally eat themselves) and any PB or NSMB review went on to claim them as the best thing since sliced bread, when PNW stuff quietly worked better, and were better to their customers. 

I'll reserve any opinion on these hubs for actual long term reviews.

As a side note, I'm a fan of OneUp stuff, but those seatposts, jeez, V1 was hot garbage, V2 isnt a tonne better

boozed wrote:
I went through two PNW Loam posts before giving up and switching to a OneUp V2, which has been just fine other than the frequent re-greasing...

I went through two PNW Loam posts before giving up and switching to a OneUp V2, which has been just fine other than the frequent re-greasing thing.  I need to get that V3 seal kit.

PNW's support was great but it's a shame the product just wasn't very good.

You likely don't need new seals. There was a blurp on Peter Verdone's site about the grease expulsion issue on V2 OneUp posts. It involved dilating the breather hole in the actuator. I took that and applied it to the PNW and TranzX posts on 2 of my bikes and it solved that issue and grime ingestion as well. Bonus, the posts were quicker to return and easier to drop. Ended up dropping 20psi in each to avoid any potential nether region pounding by the returning post. It was a marked difference and I can't recommend the procedure enough.

6/26/2024 7:43am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2024 7:49am
dom wrote:

image-20240626104116-1

Edit: It looks like a Ransom with a dual crown fork. Either it's that or it is extremely similar. Hidden shock for sure, exactly what needed on a race bike Huh.

Onawalk
6/26/2024 8:24am
Onawalk wrote:
Lets not fan boy too hard on these I have a V1, and V2 OneUp dropper that are not exceptions to the rule when it comes...

Lets not fan boy too hard on these

I have a V1, and V2 OneUp dropper that are not exceptions to the rule when it comes to both reliability, or standouts for OneUps customer relations.  Both are known to be questionable (looking at you bushing that literally eat themselves) and any PB or NSMB review went on to claim them as the best thing since sliced bread, when PNW stuff quietly worked better, and were better to their customers. 

I'll reserve any opinion on these hubs for actual long term reviews.

As a side note, I'm a fan of OneUp stuff, but those seatposts, jeez, V1 was hot garbage, V2 isnt a tonne better

boozed wrote:
I went through two PNW Loam posts before giving up and switching to a OneUp V2, which has been just fine other than the frequent re-greasing...

I went through two PNW Loam posts before giving up and switching to a OneUp V2, which has been just fine other than the frequent re-greasing thing.  I need to get that V3 seal kit.

HexonJuan wrote:
You likely don't need new seals. There was a blurp on Peter Verdone's site about the grease expulsion issue on V2 OneUp posts. It involved dilating...

You likely don't need new seals. There was a blurp on Peter Verdone's site about the grease expulsion issue on V2 OneUp posts. It involved dilating the breather hole in the actuator. I took that and applied it to the PNW and TranzX posts on 2 of my bikes and it solved that issue and grime ingestion as well. Bonus, the posts were quicker to return and easier to drop. Ended up dropping 20psi in each to avoid any potential nether region pounding by the returning post. It was a marked difference and I can't recommend the procedure enough.

Any chance you have a link to that blurp?

Quick look and cant seem to find it, but man would that be great to get these OneUp droppers to work better

HexonJuan
6/26/2024 9:26am
boozed wrote:

HexonJuan wrote:
You likely don't need new seals. There was a blurp on Peter Verdone's site about the grease expulsion issue on V2 OneUp posts. It involved dilating...

Onawalk wrote:
Any chance you have a link to that blurp? Quick look and cant seem to find it, but man would that be great to get these...

Quick look and cant seem to find it, but man would that be great to get these OneUp droppers to work better

Onawalk
6/26/2024 10:47am
HexonJuan wrote:

Onawalk wrote:
Any chance you have a link to that blurp? Quick look and cant seem to find it, but man would that be great to get these...

HexonJuan wrote:

You are a gentleman and a scholar,

Thank You

HexonJuan
6/26/2024 12:51pm
Onawalk wrote:

HexonJuan wrote:
Onawalk wrote:

You are a gentleman and a scholar,

Thank You

HEY!HEY!HEY!HEY!HEY!HEY!

There's NO reason for name callin'. Don't make me sic the mods on ya. 

Glad to help. PVD has some good insights and has put in some mighty smart work on his frame jigs. Shame his opinion of himself gets in the way a good bit more than is healthy.

TayRob
Fantasy
1831st
6/26/2024 1:18pm

Slight switch of topic…

I saw the part spec. sheet for an unreleased bike, and one of the models was labeled as having “Sram s1000 Transmission”…I guess confirming mechanical Transmission to be incoming soon?

badIuck
6/26/2024 2:06pm
TayRob wrote:
Slight switch of topic… I saw the part spec. sheet for an unreleased bike, and one of the models was labeled as having “Sram s1000 Transmission”…I...

Slight switch of topic…

I saw the part spec. sheet for an unreleased bike, and one of the models was labeled as having “Sram s1000 Transmission”…I guess confirming mechanical Transmission to be incoming soon?

no plans for mechanical transmission in the near future afaik

Onawalk
6/26/2024 3:09pm
TayRob wrote:
Slight switch of topic… I saw the part spec. sheet for an unreleased bike, and one of the models was labeled as having “Sram s1000 Transmission”…I...

Slight switch of topic…

Why is that confirmation of mechanical transmission?

any other details of this unreleased bike?

TayRob
Fantasy
1831st
6/26/2024 3:45pm
TayRob wrote:

Slight switch of topic…

Onawalk wrote:

I guess it’s not a 100% confirmation, but the “s1000” nomenclature is used by Sram currently for a lower end, non series, MTB crank set. Maybe it’s just a place holder name for the unreleased drive chain, but it was interesting to see it none the less.

As for the bike, it has a pretty neat little solution to a problem I don’t think many people think is a problem.

jjredlac
6/26/2024 6:00pm

Looks like Mark Matthews is riding a proto bike in lastest youtube vid. Carbon, in-frame storage. Maybe carbon Alpine Trail?
image-20240627130000-1

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
6/26/2024 6:15pm
grinch wrote:

Probably a new kenevo. Theyve been offloading the old kenevos for a while now

Same with the new Stumpjumper. Could be that as well. 

rbasoalto wrote:

it was just some new paint job on the Tarmac SL8 for some TDF team https://www.instagram.com/p/C8r1UffSyaH/

6/26/2024 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2024 6:42pm
TayRob wrote:

Slight switch of topic…

Onawalk wrote:

TayRob wrote:
I guess it’s not a 100% confirmation, but the “s1000” nomenclature is used by Sram currently for a lower end, non series, MTB crank set. Maybe...

I guess it’s not a 100% confirmation, but the “s1000” nomenclature is used by Sram currently for a lower end, non series, MTB crank set. Maybe it’s just a place holder name for the unreleased drive chain, but it was interesting to see it none the less.

As for the bike, it has a pretty neat little solution to a problem I don’t think many people think is a problem.

Are you sure it wasn't just a misprint: "SRAM $1,000 Transmission"? Wink

6/27/2024 5:51am
Primoz wrote:
Honestly, doesn't look bad. The clamp is improved and matchmaker-ish compatible, the hose coupling is a quickfit and the fitting is as small as the hose...

Honestly, doesn't look bad. The clamp is improved and matchmaker-ish compatible, the hose coupling is a quickfit and the fitting is as small as the hose, meaning internal routing should be a breeze without any need to cut the hose everytime you need to take the brake off the bike. The only question now is if the master cylinder is still plastic.

This, Mavens, Trickstuff and other boutique brands plus the rumored Shimano development sure does look like there is a step change in braking performance about to be unleashed on the general public.

What rumored Shimano development? 

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
6/27/2024 6:29am

There was talk of a new Saint brake in this thread that would be 6 piston, would have modulation, modern high end braking power and Shimano ease of bleeding...

FullSend
Fantasy
1111th
6/27/2024 7:44am

I've got the full geometry table for the new Specialized Stumpjumper.

Question: Can I post it in here or is that against the rules? I'd genuinely like to know first, because I don't want Spomer and Team to get in trouble.

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
6/27/2024 7:48am
FullSend wrote:
I've got the full geometry table for the new Specialized Stumpjumper.   Question: Can I post it in here or is that against the rules? I'd...

I've got the full geometry table for the new Specialized Stumpjumper.

Question: Can I post it in here or is that against the rules? I'd genuinely like to know first, because I don't want Spomer and Team to get in trouble.

There’s rules?

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest