MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
jasbushey
Fantasy
2544th
6/28/2024 7:26am

On the Stumpy and proprietary shock.  In the pinkbike podcast they discussed a new patented shock design that they use on the world cup.  The way I heard it was the intention was to adjust the damper curve control the last 20% of travel in a more controlled manor than with tokens (or whatever a shock ramp is called).  They said in order to get the feeling they want for 80% of the riding that they needed less progression of the design, but then blows through the end with a subset of aggressive riders (which is a common thing I heard from stumpy evo owners).  One way aggressive riders handled this was a lot of ramp tokens, but then you lose some of the feeling in the beginning.  The new shock would allow them to keep the same feeling off the top but have a more controllable and better feeling ramp.  

How then I understood it was say if the first 1/2 of the travel is with 150psi, and the end is 70psi.  To me it sounded sort of the Diaz Suspension Runt concept in the shock. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/62Y7zBc4iQYr7t2L3ytJ7V?si=3a385e00aad3…; This is at 1:01.  

fartsack
Fantasy
2137th
6/28/2024 7:33am

the exact opposite of Treks/Fox DRCV shock. that was utterly crap btw. :D

Jotegr
6/28/2024 8:24am
fartsack wrote:

the exact opposite of Treks/Fox DRCV shock. that was utterly crap btw. :D

They weren't that bad if you disabled the DRCV feature during a rebuild and just turned them into higher volume regular shocks with a weird eye to eye and stroke. 

Carraig042
Fantasy
666th
6/28/2024 10:00am

Ibis teasing a bike to drop on July 2nd on their Instagram. May be a hardtail.

6/28/2024 10:36am

Any word on when the High Roller 3 is going to show up?  It looks like the deep dust & baked hardpack tire I could use right about now. 

ARonBurgundy
Fantasy
123rd
6/28/2024 11:17am
Any word on when the High Roller 3 is going to show up?  It looks like the deep dust & baked hardpack tire I could use...

Any word on when the High Roller 3 is going to show up?  It looks like the deep dust & baked hardpack tire I could use right about now. 

Absolutely no idea what you're talking about Whistling

1llumA
Fantasy
680th
6/28/2024 11:21am
Carraig042 wrote:

Ibis teasing a bike to drop on July 2nd on their Instagram. May be a hardtail.

Instagram post of said tease

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
6/28/2024 11:23am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2024 11:25am
Primoz wrote:
There was talk of a new Saint brake in this thread that would be 6 piston, would have modulation, modern high end braking power and Shimano...

There was talk of a new Saint brake in this thread that would be 6 piston, would have modulation, modern high end braking power and Shimano ease of bleeding...

First time i hear or read about a 6-pot Saint - must have missed it here! Doubt it as all others keep making 4-pots with immense...

First time i hear or read about a 6-pot Saint - must have missed it here! Doubt it as all others keep making 4-pots with immense power - a 6-potter will be quite heavy compared to others!

Might not be 6-pot, but it was connected to the discussion about the Shimano patent for direct mount 6-pot brakes...

EDIT: it was in the brakes topic:
image-20240628202511-1

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
6/28/2024 11:30am
Primoz wrote:
There was talk of a new Saint brake in this thread that would be 6 piston, would have modulation, modern high end braking power and Shimano...

There was talk of a new Saint brake in this thread that would be 6 piston, would have modulation, modern high end braking power and Shimano ease of bleeding...

First time i hear or read about a 6-pot Saint - must have missed it here! Doubt it as all others keep making 4-pots with immense...

First time i hear or read about a 6-pot Saint - must have missed it here! Doubt it as all others keep making 4-pots with immense power - a 6-potter will be quite heavy compared to others!

Primoz wrote:
Might not be 6-pot, but it was connected to the discussion about the Shimano patent for direct mount 6-pot brakes... EDIT: it was in the brakes...

Might not be 6-pot, but it was connected to the discussion about the Shimano patent for direct mount 6-pot brakes...

EDIT: it was in the brakes topic:
image-20240628202511-1

Seeing lots of swaps from Shimano to Maven. Sounds like they realize this is an actual issue/threat. Takes a lot to make Shimano move quickly... the Saint brakes are 10+ years old.

NicoZesty96
6/28/2024 12:38pm
Any word on when the High Roller 3 is going to show up?  It looks like the deep dust & baked hardpack tire I could use...

Get a Magic Mary, thank me later

hairyyy
6/28/2024 12:59pm

Theres zero need for a 6 pot brake. 

I'd wager Shimano won't make one. 

There 4 pot is plenty powerful just needs refinements like pad contact and no wandering bite point of doom. 

A thicker rotor would be good from them though. 

6/28/2024 1:36pm

Been there, done that.  Does better in the deep dust than an Assegai/DHR2 combo, but needs more side-knob support for the hardpack. 

6/28/2024 1:43pm

Been there, done that.  Does better in the deep dust than an Assegai/DHR2 combo, but needs more side-knob support for the hardpack. 

Shorty works good for this, Took me awhile to try one as I always assumed more of a wet tyre but its designed for both Deep dust/loam & slightly wet - im using Shorty f/r on my Ebike for the current wet but then dry an dusty conditions we have in NZ at times.
Argotal is a good option aswell.

6/28/2024 1:59pm
hairyyy wrote:
Theres zero need for a 6 pot brake.  I'd wager Shimano won't make one.  There 4 pot is plenty powerful just needs refinements like pad contact...

Theres zero need for a 6 pot brake. 

I'd wager Shimano won't make one. 

There 4 pot is plenty powerful just needs refinements like pad contact and no wandering bite point of doom. 

A thicker rotor would be good from them though. 

And caliper pistons that don't self destruct every 6 months. 

Glory831Guy
6/28/2024 2:07pm

Absolutely no idea what you're talking about 

Absolutely no idea what you're talking about Whistling

I might have to give these a go. Assegai up front, and a "fast rolling" Vigilante out back have been my go to for years, but WTB hasn't had fast rolling 27.5's in stock for a loooong time now. I should have bought 20 instead of 8 when REI was blowing them out.

noodlenosteeze
Fantasy
1637th
6/28/2024 3:19pm
TayRob wrote:
Slight switch of topic… I saw the part spec. sheet for an unreleased bike, and one of the models was labeled as having “Sram s1000 Transmission”…I...

Slight switch of topic…

I saw the part spec. sheet for an unreleased bike, and one of the models was labeled as having “Sram s1000 Transmission”…I guess confirming mechanical Transmission to be incoming soon?

Maybe not a confirmation, BUT could increase rumors. Iirc patent filing will call what we call drivetrains "transmissions". I still have my hopes out for a mechanical transmission from SRAM though, until then I'll stick with XT/X01. 

6/28/2024 3:26pm

Shorty works good for this, Took me awhile to try one as I always assumed more of a wet tyre but its designed for both Deep...

Shorty works good for this, Took me awhile to try one as I always assumed more of a wet tyre but its designed for both Deep dust/loam & slightly wet - im using Shorty f/r on my Ebike for the current wet but then dry an dusty conditions we have in NZ at times.
Argotal is a good option aswell.

I just took my Shorties off.  Good for the deep dust, but gets pretty wandery at high speed on hard surfaces.  Hillbilly side knobs are stouter.  Haven't tried the Argotal yet. 

Reilly1811
6/28/2024 9:11pm

A deep dive on the other site had me find this unreleased article. Can't click on it but surely it can't be far away

I'm unable to tell whether it's mechanical or wireless, apologies for the poor quality screenshot.

NicoZesty96
6/28/2024 9:43pm
Reilly1811 wrote:
A deep dive on the other site had me find this unreleased article. Can't click on it but surely it can't be far away I'm unable...

A deep dive on the other site had me find this unreleased article. Can't click on it but surely it can't be far away

I'm unable to tell whether it's mechanical or wireless, apologies for the poor quality screenshot.

I’m wondering how crap it will be, GX t-type are shitting themselves and stop working randomly, XO has no clutch tension whatsoever after a couple rides, XX seems to be good, no idea about the XXSL. mehUnsure

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
6/28/2024 9:46pm

Looks clunky enough to have a battery. Does seem to have something resembling a cable outer port behind the mounting bolt...

Making it mechanical would be the easiest way to make it cheaper. Make the cable pull ratios the same as eagle and you can use the old shifters. And if you want to have the slow shifting to not rush the cassette, use a 1x click shifter that was available for ebikes in the Eagle days.

sprungmass
6/28/2024 10:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2024 10:20pm
I just took my Shorties off.  Good for the deep dust, but gets pretty wandery at high speed on hard surfaces.  Hillbilly side knobs are stouter. ...

I just took my Shorties off.  Good for the deep dust, but gets pretty wandery at high speed on hard surfaces.  Hillbilly side knobs are stouter.  Haven't tried the Argotal yet. 

I've been running the Argotal SS DH this year and it is great on the occasional hardpack. The tire is very square due to the tall side knobs but once you roll it over it don't squirm much and is very stable. The grip in loose dirt, shale/scree and loam is just mind blowing. Highly recommend!

Edit: whoops! Noticed the tire nerd thread just now. 

metadave
Fantasy
2288th
6/28/2024 10:56pm
I just took my Shorties off.  Good for the deep dust, but gets pretty wandery at high speed on hard surfaces.  Hillbilly side knobs are stouter. ...

sprungmass wrote:
I've been running the Argotal SS DH this year and it is great on the occasional hardpack. The tire is very square due to the tall...

I've been running the Argotal SS DH this year and it is great on the occasional hardpack. The tire is very square due to the tall side knobs but once you roll it over it don't squirm much and is very stable. The grip in loose dirt, shale/scree and loam is just mind blowing. Highly recommend!

Edit: whoops! Noticed the tire nerd thread just now. 

We should swap fronts on a shuttle day since we have the same wheels and see what the control difference is between the Kryp-F SS and the Argo-SS and compare notes soon 

lickmycrinkle
6/29/2024 1:28am
Reilly1811 wrote:
A deep dive on the other site had me find this unreleased article. Can't click on it but surely it can't be far away I'm unable...

Can you share the URL you got that from?

nsp234
6/29/2024 2:16am
Primoz wrote:
Looks clunky enough to have a battery. Does seem to have something resembling a cable outer port behind the mounting bolt... Making it mechanical would be...

Looks clunky enough to have a battery. Does seem to have something resembling a cable outer port behind the mounting bolt...

Making it mechanical would be the easiest way to make it cheaper. Make the cable pull ratios the same as eagle and you can use the old shifters. And if you want to have the slow shifting to not rush the cassette, use a 1x click shifter that was available for ebikes in the Eagle days.

Does indeed look almost as chunky as the others, but somehow slightly less so. Could it be they use a smaller battery?

Mechanical would be good though, neglecting the whole budget market OR managing to make electronic affordable enough seems both hard to imagine 

nskerb
6/29/2024 11:59am
DServy wrote:

Mavens eh? Sounds like sram is running away from Codes as quick as possible. 

The public perception of Srams brake options over the years has mind fucked me. In the not too distant past there were world cup DH riders using guides and most people were fairly happy with them. For quite a while now Codes (especially the RSC) has been a benchmark for a very good brake for basically any application and everybody decided to shit on guides. Now that mavens simply exist I guess we have to steer clear of codes because they are garbage now. 

I’ll be on current saints till I need adult diapers. 

6/29/2024 12:11pm
Primoz wrote:

Idk if it was Saint but I’ve seen a wireless shimano drivetrain and new brakes being tested in the last month.  They looked very nearly ready for production.  

gbcoke
6/29/2024 12:25pm

Xt&Xtr wireless dt's along with new brakes for these groups are coming end of year.

No news of new Saint though.

Losifer
Fantasy
1741st
6/29/2024 1:06pm
DServy wrote:

Mavens eh? Sounds like sram is running away from Codes as quick as possible. 

nskerb wrote:
The public perception of Srams brake options over the years has mind fucked me. In the not too distant past there were world cup DH riders...

The public perception of Srams brake options over the years has mind fucked me. In the not too distant past there were world cup DH riders using guides and most people were fairly happy with them. For quite a while now Codes (especially the RSC) has been a benchmark for a very good brake for basically any application and everybody decided to shit on guides. Now that mavens simply exist I guess we have to steer clear of codes because they are garbage now. 

You could need adult diapers today if you drink enough…

I'm guessing Shimano will be releasing an updated Saint brake soon, with minor changes- the current (“old”) Saints don’t suffer from the issues that many people have with the other Shimano brakes. 

Possibly thicker rotors, smaller primary cylinder diameter.

NicoZesty96
6/29/2024 1:18pm
nskerb wrote:
The public perception of Srams brake options over the years has mind fucked me. In the not too distant past there were world cup DH riders...

that's because codes are indeed garbage, they were before and they will be in the future, little power and lot of strength required to obtain it, the exact opposite of what a "downhill" brake should be

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest