MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
3/23/2024 10:04pm
If dealers are preparing websites that means it's close...

If dealers are preparing websites that means it's close...Schermata 2024-03-24 alle 03.44.49.png?VersionId=wyS0OI oBWbU28l3uW4ZNl77Y p

I plan on ordering a Fatty T frame kit in a MX. I've seen both of the color ways already

NicoZesty96
3/23/2024 11:53pm
If dealers are preparing websites that means it's close...

If dealers are preparing websites that means it's close...Schermata 2024-03-24 alle 03.44.49.png?VersionId=wyS0OI oBWbU28l3uW4ZNl77Y p

I plan on ordering a Fatty T frame kit in a MX. I've seen both of the color ways already

we all did, we're just missing the geo and travel spec, along with release date

gregcook
3/24/2024 12:02am

seeing as your in NZ, id be getting the new Merida ebike before the turbo Levo. - much cheaper aswell

Not interested in shimano motor.  Smile  

Primoz
Fantasy
383rd
3/24/2024 12:07am

Recently got approved to be a Lewis brakes dealer. Will have samples coming in for testing and tear downs soon. 

Here's a first feeler. 

3/24/2024 3:20am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2024 9:54am

There also seems to be a small "belly" close to the BB on the new Canyon. The outline almost looks like it's a cover of some sort. Could the shock be mounted vertically and be actuated by an upper link if it indeed a 6-bar ?  

Edit: from this photo (from Vital pre-race interviews) you can clearly see a link in the bottom bracket area. This would fit with both the "Devinci" theory and the 6-bar theory. I also wonder if the vertical thick element behind the idler is part of the front triangle or is a vertical member in a 6-bar design (oh I missed nerding out on this stuff 😆)

Screenshot 2024-03-24-11-23-14-857 com.miui .gallery

Primoz
Fantasy
383rd
3/24/2024 4:03am

Does it make sense to connect the bottom link and the seatstay? 

3/24/2024 6:44am

Recently got approved to be a Lewis brakes dealer. Will have samples coming in for testing and tear downs soon. 

Primoz wrote:
  Here's a first feeler. 

Here's a first feeler. 

It's impressive for sure and everyone I've talked to who has actual hands on experience seems to be thrilled with them. Actually kinda crazy how xenophobic people have been with these brakes the second they hear 'China' Wait till they find out where 90% of bike parts are made. Getting CNC'd brakes with apparently great performance at the current price point is a huge win for the consumer. I'm not paying Trickstuff money and I'm more than happy to try these since they cost less than my DH-R Evos

dolface
Fantasy
1907th
3/24/2024 7:26am

Primoz wrote:
  Here's a first feeler. 

Here's a first feeler. 

It's impressive for sure and everyone I've talked to who has actual hands on experience seems to be thrilled with them. Actually kinda crazy how xenophobic...

It's impressive for sure and everyone I've talked to who has actual hands on experience seems to be thrilled with them. Actually kinda crazy how xenophobic people have been with these brakes the second they hear 'China' Wait till they find out where 90% of bike parts are made. Getting CNC'd brakes with apparently great performance at the current price point is a huge win for the consumer. I'm not paying Trickstuff money and I'm more than happy to try these since they cost less than my DH-R Evos

I don't think it's xenophobia as much as it is that they appear to be a straight rip-off off of Trickstuff.

Will be interesting to see if DT Swiss feels the same way (and does something about it).

Dave113
3/24/2024 7:34am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2024 7:39am

Primoz wrote:
  Here's a first feeler. 

Here's a first feeler. 

It's impressive for sure and everyone I've talked to who has actual hands on experience seems to be thrilled with them. Actually kinda crazy how xenophobic...

First, it's not "xenophobic" to try to avoid buying MIC goods if the issue is philosophical and political. China is our enemy, Xi is an authoritarian communist who commits genocide. It was a horrible mistake to partner with China and offshore our manufacturing to them in the first place. 

Second, Taiwan and China are not the same country despite what Xi thinks. There's a MASSIVE difference between the two and if you won't buy Taiwanese goods then that may have an underlying xenophobic reason. 

Last, Lewis is a direct rip off of another company's IP. Not everyone is ok with this. I'm not. If you are, why? So you can benefit from others' work without fair compensation? Cause that's EXACTLY what it comes down to. 

Getting CNC'd brakes with apparently great performance at the current price point is a huge win for the consumer. I'm not paying Trickstuff money and I'm more than happy to try these since they cost less than my DH-R Evos

You think you deserve Trickstuff's brakes without compensating them for their work. I'm not xenophobic, but you have some obvious ethical blind spots. 

TimBud
Fantasy
1362nd
3/24/2024 7:34am
dolface wrote:
I don't think it's xenophobia as much as it is that they appear to be a straight rip-off off of Trickstuff. Will be interesting to see...

I don't think it's xenophobia as much as it is that they appear to be a straight rip-off off of Trickstuff.

Will be interesting to see if DT Swiss feels the same way (and does something about it).

That won’t matter.

BMW once tried to sue a Chinese manufacturer over an X5 clone. The Chinese courts laughed them out, saying that it didn’t look anything like a BMW X5

Dave113
3/24/2024 7:40am
dolface wrote:
I don't think it's xenophobia as much as it is that they appear to be a straight rip-off off of Trickstuff. Will be interesting to see...

TimBud wrote:
That won’t matter. BMW once tried to sue a Chinese manufacturer over an X5 clone. The Chinese courts laughed them out, saying that it didn’t look...

That won’t matter.

BMW once tried to sue a Chinese manufacturer over an X5 clone. The Chinese courts laughed them out, saying that it didn’t look anything like a BMW X5

China definitely doesn't care, but we can decide if we want to buy them. 

3/24/2024 7:53am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2024 7:54am
Primoz wrote:
  Here's a first feeler. 

Here's a first feeler. 

Dave113 wrote:
First, it's not "xenophobic" to try to avoid buying MIC goods if the issue is philosophical and political. China is our enemy, Xi is an authoritarian...

First, it's not "xenophobic" to try to avoid buying MIC goods if the issue is philosophical and political. China is our enemy, Xi is an authoritarian communist who commits genocide. It was a horrible mistake to partner with China and offshore our manufacturing to them in the first place. 

Second, Taiwan and China are not the same country despite what Xi thinks. There's a MASSIVE difference between the two and if you won't buy Taiwanese goods then that may have an underlying xenophobic reason. 

Last, Lewis is a direct rip off of another company's IP. Not everyone is ok with this. I'm not. If you are, why? So you can benefit from others' work without fair compensation? Cause that's EXACTLY what it comes down to. 

Getting CNC'd brakes with apparently great performance at the current price point is a huge win for the consumer. I'm not paying Trickstuff money and I'm more than happy to try these since they cost less than my DH-R Evos

You think you deserve Trickstuff's brakes without compensating them for their work. I'm not xenophobic, but you have some obvious ethical blind spots. 

Apparently Trickstuff let their patent lapse or there was some issue with their patent while this underwent development, not sure on the details but just a rumor I read online.

I've watched the teardown video and I wouldn't go out and say its a Trickstuff carbon copy.

Also not sure why you think I wouldn't buy parts from Taiwan? I'm just looking for the best product for the best price, I also just purchased the Lollipop driver set directly from 711L in Taiwan after hearing about them from the PB podcast.

While I don't ethically agree with everything China does, I'm also not gonna pretend that buying mountain bike brakes is somehow supporting genocide? America isn't exactly an angel either, so I'm not gonna think about the political impact of my mountain bike purchasing decisions haha. I see a great product at a great price point. Lewis seems to be offering a great product at a great price and you're just going off the rails here about Xi's genocide and how he runs the country? Dude I'm just looking for good brakes. If you don't want to buy them, then don't.

Shinook
3/24/2024 8:12am
Apparently Trickstuff let their patent lapse or there was some issue with their patent while this underwent development, not sure on the details but just a...

Apparently Trickstuff let their patent lapse or there was some issue with their patent while this underwent development, not sure on the details but just a rumor I read online.

I've watched the teardown video and I wouldn't go out and say its a Trickstuff carbon copy.

Also not sure why you think I wouldn't buy parts from Taiwan? I'm just looking for the best product for the best price, I also just purchased the Lollipop driver set directly from 711L in Taiwan after hearing about them from the PB podcast.

While I don't ethically agree with everything China does, I'm also not gonna pretend that buying mountain bike brakes is somehow supporting genocide? America isn't exactly an angel either, so I'm not gonna think about the political impact of my mountain bike purchasing decisions haha. I see a great product at a great price point. Lewis seems to be offering a great product at a great price and you're just going off the rails here about Xi's genocide and how he runs the country? Dude I'm just looking for good brakes. If you don't want to buy them, then don't.

What patent did Lewis violate that was held by Trickstuff? 

I'm in no way disputing they look identical and similar, but that doesn't constitute a patent violation. Some functional aspect of the brake would've needed to be duplicated that was patented by Trickstuff, there are only so many things unique they are doing (maybe the clamp or lever pivot?). If anything the Lewis design is slightly more innovative because it allows you to rotate the cam in the lever to adjust lever progression, something the Trickstuff brakes lack (although I'd find hysterical if they duplicated). 

"Something looks like something" isn't a patent issue by itself. It's clear where they ripped off Trickstuff aesthetics, but if they didn't copy any functional aspects of Trickstuffs design then there is nothing there from a patent perspective anyway. Brakes just aren't that complicated and there are only so many things they could do unique enough to really be functionally different enough for a patent. 

Don't get me wrong. I have no desire to own these brakes, not because of their country of origin, but I do agree the ripoff aesthetics gives me a bad vibe. I've owned Maximas and love what Trickstuff is doing, so supporting Lewis in this isn't something I can do, they should have been creative enough on their own to come up with their own aesthetics. That doesn't mean they violated any Trickstuff patents, though.

radarr
3/24/2024 8:15am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2024 8:24am

And if we loop in 50 posts about how much strain our fingers will endure with Lewis' brake levers, we'll have come full circle.

My damper is dampening with excitement.

3/24/2024 8:21am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2024 8:47am
Apparently Trickstuff let their patent lapse or there was some issue with their patent while this underwent development, not sure on the details but just a...

Shinook wrote:
What patent did Lewis violate that was held by Trickstuff?  I'm in no way disputing they look identical and similar, but that doesn't constitute a patent...

What patent did Lewis violate that was held by Trickstuff? 

I'm in no way disputing they look identical and similar, but that doesn't constitute a patent violation. Some functional aspect of the brake would've needed to be duplicated that was patented by Trickstuff, there are only so many things unique they are doing (maybe the clamp or lever pivot?). If anything the Lewis design is slightly more innovative because it allows you to rotate the cam in the lever to adjust lever progression, something the Trickstuff brakes lack (although I'd find hysterical if they duplicated). 

"Something looks like something" isn't a patent issue by itself. It's clear where they ripped off Trickstuff aesthetics, but if they didn't copy any functional aspects of Trickstuffs design then there is nothing there from a patent perspective anyway. Brakes just aren't that complicated and there are only so many things they could do unique enough to really be functionally different enough for a patent. 

Don't get me wrong. I have no desire to own these brakes, not because of their country of origin, but I do agree the ripoff aesthetics gives me a bad vibe. I've owned Maximas and love what Trickstuff is doing, so supporting Lewis in this isn't something I can do, they should have been creative enough on their own to come up with their own aesthetics. That doesn't mean they violated any Trickstuff patents, though.

While it's abundantly clear Lewis took copied a lot of the aesthetics from Trickstuff, it does seem like the inner-workings of the brake are Lewis's own. I'd love to try Trickstuff brakes but there is no way I would ever pay $1500+ for brakes in my life so I'm happy to try these. And I'm not trying to say these should be as good as Trickstuff, for the price I'm looking with something with slightly improved feel/power over my TRP's And these can potentially offer that while looking a lot better. As ethically ugly as this looks, we consumers are ultimately the winners in this product arms race.  

Ceecee
3/24/2024 9:37am

Maybe they're just covering up a wate bottle cage. That's pretty cutting edge on a DH bike. 

Freeride e-bikepacking--surprise!

nskerb
3/24/2024 1:16pm

I’m xenophobic for not wanting shitty knock off brakes made in a sweatshop? Ight cool lol. 

chriskief
Fantasy
441st
3/24/2024 1:46pm
chriskief wrote:
Some Fox RAD bits on Asa's Frameworks...

untitled-58.jpg?VersionId=qyTkG8C96OJ14 WSKftgbHTO

Another angle of the lever.

434030992 1335244057151380 2611921144311636401 n.jpg?VersionId=xTY9MU9Kbv5ZMe63GUpyq5yG.n

Between this and Flight Attendant on the Trek bikes, looks like electronics are about to hit DH.

3/24/2024 2:09pm
chriskief wrote:

chriskief wrote:
Another angle of the lever. Between this and Flight Attendant on the Trek bikes, looks like electronics are about to hit DH.

434030992 1335244057151380 2611921144311636401 n.jpg?VersionId=xTY9MU9Kbv5ZMe63GUpyq5yG.n

Between this and Flight Attendant on the Trek bikes, looks like electronics are about to hit DH.

I wonder if that's some sort of electronic actuator/piston or if it's something used for telemetry 

chriskief
Fantasy
441st
3/24/2024 2:16pm
chriskief wrote:

chriskief wrote:
Another angle of the lever. Between this and Flight Attendant on the Trek bikes, looks like electronics are about to hit DH.

I wonder if that's some sort of electronic actuator/piston or if it's something used for telemetry 

It's this...

3/24/2024 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2024 2:22pm
chriskief wrote:

chriskief wrote:
It's this...    

It's this...

I'm talking about the giant black part sticking off of the brake calipers.

chriskief
Fantasy
441st
3/24/2024 2:27pm

chriskief wrote:
It's this...    

It's this...

It's a sensor of some sort. It's shown in that video I linked to.

3/24/2024 3:29pm
chriskief wrote:
It's this...    

It's this...

chriskief wrote:

Some exciting tech coming for sure. As if AXS drivetrains weren't expensive now I'll need to worry about Electronic Fox suspension Grinning Excited for it nonetheless

kashima_nuts
Fantasy
1090th
3/24/2024 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2024 8:31pm

chriskief wrote:

Some exciting tech coming for sure. As if AXS drivetrains weren't expensive now I'll need to worry about Electronic Fox suspension  Excited for it nonetheless

Some exciting tech coming for sure. As if AXS drivetrains weren't expensive now I'll need to worry about Electronic Fox suspension Grinning Excited for it nonetheless

Curious to see Fox's implementation. Not trying to bash Rockshox but flight attendant seems like a flop so far. Maybe took it too far with the front fork stuff. Honestly who needs/wants to firm up their Zeb. Too complicated for marginal gains.  

1llumA
Fantasy
1106th
3/24/2024 8:34pm

Interesting pad contact adjustment à la Hope but also a single bolt near the master cylinder split clamp like current shimano lever instead of the older shimano split clamp with the single bolt under the bar.

3/24/2024 8:45pm
1llumA wrote:
Interesting pad contact adjustment à la Hope but also a single bolt near the master cylinder split clamp like current shimano lever instead of the older...

Interesting pad contact adjustment à la Hope but also a single bolt near the master cylinder split clamp like current shimano lever instead of the older shimano split clamp with the single bolt under the bar.

Probably because the current range of TRP adapters absolutely suck.

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest