MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
3/26/2024 7:26am
O1D4 wrote:

image-20240325092438-1

New Spindrift? I've been expecting it for a long time. But based on the ongoing sales since rampage, they probably overstocked the current version quite significantly...

New Spindrift? I've been expecting it for a long time. But based on the ongoing sales since rampage, they probably overstocked the current version quite significantly and had to get rid of that first.

Primoz wrote:
Or Tyee with a Zeb? Shape looks similar. 

image-20240326133907-1

Not sure I could tell them apart from that picture and I ride a Hugene. 

Primoz
Fantasy
383rd
3/26/2024 7:27am

A feature is published on Vital too, for a few hours already. 

3/26/2024 7:35am

PB just dropped their review of the dual crown Selva, the "Formula Belva"

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-formula-belva-dual-crown-enduro-fo…

The TLDR: 

"But the coil negative spring lets it down. For heavier riders like me, the extra air pressure creates an abrupt feel on touchdown, forcing me to compromise on support. For lighter riders, the spring should work well, but then the rebound could become too slow."

As soon as I saw that it uses a negative coil spring that was non-adjustable I knew it wasn't going to be worth getting. Unless you are at the exact intended body weight, you won't get full travel or you will get a harsh topout, as the reviewer found. He compensated by running less pressure and more compression, but it also appears the rebound is too aggressive, so even fully open it was too slow. Shame, the chassis looks promising. Doesn't Formula offer custom shim stacks that are user-install friendly? Perhaps that combined with a coil conversion kit could make this thing come alive.  

3/26/2024 7:39am

Looks like the new Scalpel is dropping, but either it shouldn't be on the homepage yet or they forgot to unlock the article

image-20240326093800-1image-20240326093809-2

jonkranked
Fantasy
817th
3/26/2024 7:42am

The TLDR:  "But the coil negative spring lets it down. For heavier riders like me, the extra air pressure creates an abrupt feel on touchdown, forcing...

The TLDR: 

"But the coil negative spring lets it down. For heavier riders like me, the extra air pressure creates an abrupt feel on touchdown, forcing me to compromise on support. For lighter riders, the spring should work well, but then the rebound could become too slow."

As soon as I saw that it uses a negative coil spring that was non-adjustable I knew it wasn't going to be worth getting. Unless you are at the exact intended body weight, you won't get full travel or you will get a harsh topout, as the reviewer found. He compensated by running less pressure and more compression, but it also appears the rebound is too aggressive, so even fully open it was too slow. Shame, the chassis looks promising. Doesn't Formula offer custom shim stacks that are user-install friendly? Perhaps that combined with a coil conversion kit could make this thing come alive.  

the user installed valving is for compression only (they call it CTS).  but yea, seems like some weird misses on this, especially since it's not like they don't have the features / tech already existing in the Selva.

3/26/2024 7:44am
Looks like the new Scalpel is dropping, but either it shouldn't be on the homepage yet or they forgot to unlock the article  

They must be late since PB already published their article

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-2024-cannondale-scalpel.html

Mike_Tarry_775
Fantasy
1198th
3/26/2024 7:55am

The TLDR:  "But the coil negative spring lets it down. For heavier riders like me, the extra air pressure creates an abrupt feel on touchdown, forcing...

The TLDR: 

Hopefully they will do the dual air and coil versions as they have with the Selva

HexonJuan
3/26/2024 7:57am

The TLDR: 

Coil negative springs are bad engineering at this point. Coil negative springs only available in one weight is just sloppy customer care. 

3/26/2024 7:58am

I think I found the reason why: 

"there was an incident that ended the ride prematurely for another journalist. This particular rider, who weighs in the neighborhood of 190 lb (86 kg) went a little deep off a 5-foot rock drop, and the resulting landing force ended up snapping the frame at the seat tube near the shock mount area" -PB, on their Scalpel article

3/26/2024 10:22am

The TLDR: 

HexonJuan wrote:

Coil negative springs are bad engineering at this point. Coil negative springs only available in one weight is just sloppy customer care. 

Not necessarily, there are clever ways to avoid their short comings while still utilizing their benefits. Unfortunately this design falls short of that though. 

3/26/2024 10:25am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2024 10:25am
Rick26 wrote:
Rocky Mountain are doing full SRAM builds since T-Type, go check 2024 Instinct builds. RM are also associated with IFHT films (Mahalo) so it's not that...

Rocky Mountain are doing full SRAM builds since T-Type, go check 2024 Instinct builds.

RM are also associated with IFHT films (Mahalo) so it's not that unlikely that a new promo video for the 2024 Altitude will be made by them.

O1D4 wrote:

image-20240325092438-1

New Spindrift? I've been expecting it for a long time. But based on the ongoing sales since rampage, they probably overstocked the current version quite significantly...

New Spindrift? I've been expecting it for a long time. But based on the ongoing sales since rampage, they probably overstocked the current version quite significantly and had to get rid of that first.

In their instagram video I believe they said it's the Tyee.

A few weeks ago I asked Propane if they were going to spec the Vivid on a frame only and they said keep an eye on the site for changes. I suspect that was a hint at a new one?

3/26/2024 10:43am
mntnmrtn wrote:
  Looks like the new Marzocchi 38 chassis is close to being unveiled.

Looks like the new Marzocchi 38 chassis is close to being unveiled.

marzo38 1.png?VersionId=.Uz8VeF8jxmtarj6GRDCgFbRpFkv8Lv

bikelurker wrote:

Definitelly looks like a 2way compresion dial on that photo, the other ones were edited/blacked out it seems

Looks like it, but at the same time the Fit Grip sticker is on the bottom, that's a single adjust damper. 

Eae903
3/26/2024 11:10am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2024 11:11am

I think I found the reason why:  "there was an incident that ended the ride prematurely for another journalist. This particular rider, who weighs in the...

"there was an incident that ended the ride prematurely for another journalist. This particular rider, who weighs in the neighborhood of 190 lb (86 kg) went a little deep off a 5-foot rock drop, and the resulting landing force ended up snapping the frame at the seat tube near the shock mount area" -PB, on their Scalpel article

Yeti was taking pot shots at the scalpel too in a few of their new asr adds Screenshot 20240325 180654 Chrome.jpg?VersionId=diKr7T9MrldeyNDdxIB4.GaubkvoS addsScreenshot 20240325 180644 Chromemage widgetimage widget

chriskief
Fantasy
441st
3/26/2024 11:53am
bermed wrote:
So is the new Fox fork chassis incoming imminently? This is a GMBN journalist.

So is the new Fox fork chassis incoming imminently? This is a GMBN journalist.Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 9.11.41%E2%80%AFAM

Chassis are censored because, colors. 

Sounds like Sea Otter is the release.

katana
Fantasy
557th
3/26/2024 1:36pm
In their instagram video I believe they said it's the Tyee. A few weeks ago I asked Propane if they were going to spec the Vivid on a...

In their instagram video I believe they said it's the Tyee.

A few weeks ago I asked Propane if they were going to spec the Vivid on a frame only and they said keep an eye on the site for changes. I suspect that was a hint at a new one?

Some time ago , I asked the compatibility of the tyee with a vivid air or ext aria , and they told me that neither of the two fits. Maybe it’s valid only for the S size 🤔

3/26/2024 1:46pm
Eae903 wrote:
Yeti was taking pot shots at the scalpel too in a few of their new asr adds addsmage widgetimage widget

Yeti was taking pot shots at the scalpel too in a few of their new asr adds Screenshot 20240325 180654 Chrome.jpg?VersionId=diKr7T9MrldeyNDdxIB4.GaubkvoS addsScreenshot 20240325 180644 Chromemage widgetimage widget

To be fair, they also had ads referencing the Santa Cruz Blur and Specialized Epic.

NicoZesty96
3/26/2024 3:05pm

Primoz wrote:

image-20240326133907-1

Not sure I could tell them apart from that picture and I ride a Hugene. 

You can’t because it’s a tyee, they even say that on the insta post or YouTube don’t remember 

owl-x
Fantasy
591st
3/26/2024 3:08pm

Yeti: you just aren’t that guy. Stop it. 

O1D4
Fantasy
158th
3/26/2024 6:55pm
therock911 wrote:

IMG 1826.png?VersionId=ShveczBsph7 dZlJqA iyw

Did you get that for ordering directly from them? As a o-chain fan in excited to see what this is and hope as a multiple purchaser I can also have a 'crafted offer'... 😅

3/26/2024 7:25pm
therock911 wrote:

O1D4 wrote:
Did you get that for ordering directly from them? As a o-chain fan in excited to see what this is and hope as a multiple purchaser...

Did you get that for ordering directly from them? As a o-chain fan in excited to see what this is and hope as a multiple purchaser I can also have a 'crafted offer'... 😅

I’m interested in what this could be.  I wonder if it’s a full new device?

3/27/2024 12:20am
therock911 wrote:

O1D4 wrote:
Did you get that for ordering directly from them? As a o-chain fan in excited to see what this is and hope as a multiple purchaser...

That’s just their regular mailing list. I never ordered from them and also got that mail.

Marcus J
Fantasy
1664th
3/27/2024 1:01am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2024 1:02am

I got a new ochain recently and asked about what the new version will do and got the answer that the new models have been completely overhauled and they have solved some of the problems that the current models had, whether it was the four locking screws, maintenance or dirt getting in. And it will only come in the versions that are currently discounted, so SRAM, Shimano and RaceFace.

So probably nothing groundbreaking, just improvements.

shape
3/27/2024 6:02am

To anyone saying that Lewis brakes are trickstuff clones...You say that because their look or the tech? Lewis patented their own adjustments systems. Take a look at Radic kaha and 612 brakes. For me those are sane kind of ripoff too with just visual differences. 

3/27/2024 6:11am

I think I found the reason why:  "there was an incident that ended the ride prematurely for another journalist. This particular rider, who weighs in the...

If you read the pb article now they upped the weight to 220 lbs. seems a bit fishy

HexonJuan
3/27/2024 6:34am

The TLDR: 

HexonJuan wrote:

Goon City wrote:

Not necessarily, there are clever ways to avoid their short comings while still utilizing their benefits. Unfortunately this design falls short of that though. 

Sure, sure. But if a co doesn't cater to more than Typical Male measurements, a lot of the potential market will not be served well by the product. Maybe bad is an overstatement, but it certainly is an incomplete assignment.

RobJ
3/27/2024 7:03am

If you read the pb article now they upped the weight to 220 lbs. seems a bit fishy

Cannondale doing some damage control.

Robert from The Loam Wolf here. I was the one who broke the Scalpel, and I’m not surprised I did - overshot the landing of a large jump for an XC bike, landing in the pocket between the landing and the flat ground after it. Huge bottom out.

I corrected Kaz at Pinkbike’s quote - he had flatteringly guessed me to be 190lbs, whereas I am 220lbs. Nothing fishy. 

I wholeheartedly believe the Scalpel is fit for purpose and that it was my fault! Was having far too much fun and got carried away.

matmattmatthew
3/27/2024 7:03am
Eae903 wrote:
Yeti was taking pot shots at the scalpel too in a few of their new asr adds addsmage widgetimage widget

At first glance I thought the ASR was pretty slick, I'm in the market for a new 120ish full suspension frame this year and It's nice to have so many good options.  I get the Cheeky marketing from them, poking fun at the competitors, but then I started thinking, there's no reason I would pick the ASR over the Epic 8.  They are comparable in a lot of ways but Specialized was able to achieve their low frame weight AND add SWAT storage.  I realize in-frame storage might not be important to XC racers but having owned a frame with SWAT, I love it.  As a lot of these new-age XC bikes become so similar it's little details that will set them apart.  I guess I'm just curious why someone would choose the ASR over the Epic 8.  Turquoise color option?  

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest