MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
mfoga
Fantasy
180th
10/1/2023 7:06am
mfoga wrote:
Or rim/tire/pressure/force that is the issue.  Also they keep saying they are on prototype tires so that may not be everyone. I know Jackson flatted today...

Or rim/tire/pressure/force that is the issue.  Also they keep saying they are on prototype tires so that may not be everyone.

I know Jackson flatted today but who else has had issues on syndicate this season 

Jakub_G wrote:

Ehm, Greg had wheel/tire issues in more races than not?

Besides Greg which I though was clear but I guess not.

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
10/1/2023 7:25am
mfoga wrote:

With all the issues Greg has had, I’m surprised they still don’t run inserts.

AndehM
Fantasy
429th
10/1/2023 7:44am

I was talking to the local shop owner the other day, whose son races pro.  They started running Conti tires this year, and he said that while they love the grip and support, the first race they went to, the kid broke 3 rims.  They went to running inserts rear after that.  And related to all this, he said the new Maxxis DH casing is designed to be more like the Conti DH casing, with a supple extra full puncture resist layer from bead to bead.  No idea how accurate that is, but putting 2+2 together, maybe Maxxis' new casing trying to be more supple/less stiff coupled with Greg not liking inserts = more wheel failures?

Jakub_G
10/1/2023 10:27am
AndehM wrote:
I was talking to the local shop owner the other day, whose son races pro.  They started running Conti tires this year, and he said that...

I was talking to the local shop owner the other day, whose son races pro.  They started running Conti tires this year, and he said that while they love the grip and support, the first race they went to, the kid broke 3 rims.  They went to running inserts rear after that.  And related to all this, he said the new Maxxis DH casing is designed to be more like the Conti DH casing, with a supple extra full puncture resist layer from bead to bead.  No idea how accurate that is, but putting 2+2 together, maybe Maxxis' new casing trying to be more supple/less stiff coupled with Greg not liking inserts = more wheel failures?

And yet Conti racers in wc doesn't get any more punctures than anyone, nor wheel failure. So it was coincidence I guess.

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
10/1/2023 10:49am
slimshady wrote:

So Snowshoe came and gone and no Vital Pit Bits slideshow? First the UCI takes live coverage from us and now this...

since there have been so many racers back-to-back, the normal pit bits get kind of repetitive, plus we had lawlor's pit bits video. we've focused on privateer life w/ jack rice at snowshoe. that feature will land monday or tuesday.

i have some audio about this that will go up soon too.

10/1/2023 12:08pm
sspomer wrote:
since there have been so many racers back-to-back, the normal pit bits get kind of repetitive, plus we had lawlor's pit bits video. we've focused on...

since there have been so many racers back-to-back, the normal pit bits get kind of repetitive, plus we had lawlor's pit bits video. we've focused on privateer life w/ jack rice at snowshoe. that feature will land monday or tuesday.

i have some audio about this that will go up soon too.

Oh thats awesome! Look forward to it!

10/1/2023 1:42pm
AndehM wrote:
I was talking to the local shop owner the other day, whose son races pro.  They started running Conti tires this year, and he said that...

Jakub_G wrote:

And yet Conti racers in wc doesn't get any more punctures than anyone, nor wheel failure. So it was coincidence I guess.

The top 5 apart from dak was all on contis !! 

AndehM
Fantasy
429th
10/1/2023 1:51pm
Jakub_G wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply there was something wrong with Conti (I run them myself).  More that the Reserve rims were designed around old Maxxis DH & no inserts, so maybe changing the casing and not adjusting tire pressures/adding inserts is causing issues.  They have notes on what pressures they ran on all the tracks for various conditions, but I doubt they have very much data on a completely new tire casing.

Stewyeww
10/1/2023 3:02pm
chriskief wrote:

Greg could be cracking rims and it has nothing to do with tires, are we sure they are tire issues?

1llumA
Fantasy
680th
10/1/2023 4:50pm
AndehM wrote:

Jakub_G wrote:

The top 5 apart from dak was all on contis !! 

Vergier is either running blacked out Maxxis or sometime sponsor correct Pirelli. But Vali and Ryan Pinkerton are running Conti too and doesn't seem to slow / hold them back.

10/1/2023 8:53pm

Not sure you know what a moped is but that’s for your triggered comment Smile

bizutch wrote:
The internet knows what a moped is. Read that second line real, real slow. 

The internet knows what a moped is. Read that second line real, real slow. 

image-20230929111941-1

Where’s the motorcycle engine. Stop being such a clown and post a tech rumor 

dolface
Fantasy
594th
10/2/2023 6:27am
mtb_dood wrote:

IMG 8238.png?VersionId=c5eOKYq1IY4in

Nice one. If that's Neko's bike then there are likely other sensors on it somewhere that feed back to the shock (per Jordi on Dialed).

samdaman1
10/2/2023 6:42am

Is it just me or does the shaft on that DHX2 look larger diameter than standard? Could be perspective but I wouldn't be surprised if they had chosen to go in a similar direction to EXT due to yoke and trunnion mount issues

dirty booger
Fantasy
631st
10/2/2023 6:55am
samdaman1 wrote:
Is it just me or does the shaft on that DHX2 look larger diameter than standard? Could be perspective but I wouldn't be surprised if they...

Is it just me or does the shaft on that DHX2 look larger diameter than standard? Could be perspective but I wouldn't be surprised if they had chosen to go in a similar direction to EXT due to yoke and trunnion mount issues

Looks like they are using a DHX chassis which has the 1/2" shaft.

mtb_dood
Fantasy
2684th
10/2/2023 7:24am
mtb_dood wrote:

IMG 8238.png?VersionId=c5eOKYq1IY4in

dolface wrote:

Nice one. If that's Neko's bike then there are likely other sensors on it somewhere that feed back to the shock (per Jordi on Dialed).

IMG 8237This was the only sensor I saw on the bike 

bizutch
Fantasy
655th
10/2/2023 7:31am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2023 7:34am
peecee wrote:
Can anyone shed light on why Greg stopped using Lyle as a Mechanic as it doesn’t of seemed to have stopped him getting flats and to...

Can anyone shed light on why Greg stopped using Lyle as a Mechanic as it doesn’t of seemed to have stopped him getting flats and to be honest I’m pretty sure the Syndicate team have the most flat tires out of any team this season ? 

I know Maxxis will prob get blamed but it other teams use the same tires without any issues then it’s the wheels ? 

NY_Star wrote:
Getting flats has a lot to do with the rim structure and lip profile. It maybe that an AL rim deflects and deforms more before pinching...

Getting flats has a lot to do with the rim structure and lip profile. It maybe that an AL rim deflects and deforms more before pinching the tire then a carbon. I am assuming Santa Cruz is pretty pigeoned holed into running reserve rims where other teams may be able to shop around for a rim sponsor a bit more.

That being said, Richie was on Maxxis / DT and flatted, same with Neko.

Lots of teams on Maxxis & DT not getting flats. 

Just like Vergier alluded to on WynTV, a semi-final RACE & final RACE run on the Snowshoe track is asking ALOT of rider & equipment. 

There are a dozen things to pop a rear tire that revolve around the equipment (rim/tire/suspension path/psi/temp/carcass/damper settings).  But almost every time, it's rider inputs. Most every flat is legs extended or compressed and the rim/tire taking an impact that it cannot defend at any number of angles from any number of objects. 

Gwin flatted in a mud hole at Ft. Bill last year. GM flatted in a berm this year.  Death by a thousand paper cuts if you ask me.  
If the Maxxis tires were an issue, you'd see ALL their pro teams having a LOT of issues. They've got a ton of racers on track.

My money is just on the format this year.

bizutch
Fantasy
655th
10/2/2023 7:32am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2023 7:32am

Oh...and there are some tricks that some mechanics/teams are using on their wheels/tires that not everyone uses & nobody is going to tell you.

bizutch
Fantasy
655th
10/2/2023 7:41am
mfoga wrote:

chriskief wrote:

Monkey Puppet Meme | Pro mechanics when GM; asks what their 2024 plans are | image tagged in memes,monkey puppet | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

bt006shreds
Fantasy
135th
10/2/2023 8:40am
jonkranked wrote:

:still waiting to see the new demo uncovered:

Specialized mechanic at snowshoe said "soon" and when asked if it would be uncovered at Moun Sainte Anne he said not quite

DirtyHal
10/2/2023 10:01am
bizutch wrote:
Lots of teams on Maxxis & DT not getting flats.  Just like Vergier alluded to on WynTV, a semi-final RACE & final RACE run on the...

Lots of teams on Maxxis & DT not getting flats. 

Just like Vergier alluded to on WynTV, a semi-final RACE & final RACE run on the Snowshoe track is asking ALOT of rider & equipment. 

There are a dozen things to pop a rear tire that revolve around the equipment (rim/tire/suspension path/psi/temp/carcass/damper settings).  But almost every time, it's rider inputs. Most every flat is legs extended or compressed and the rim/tire taking an impact that it cannot defend at any number of angles from any number of objects. 

Gwin flatted in a mud hole at Ft. Bill last year. GM flatted in a berm this year.  Death by a thousand paper cuts if you ask me.  
If the Maxxis tires were an issue, you'd see ALL their pro teams having a LOT of issues. They've got a ton of racers on track.

My money is just on the format this year.

Maybe this will lead to innovation in regards to tires and wheels.  If we can put someone on the moon I'm sure its possible to make it down a mountain without getting a flat tire.  I feel like a lot of bike components have subpar reliability these days anyways and us as the consumer have been putting up with it for a long time.

bizutch
Fantasy
655th
10/2/2023 10:09am
DirtyHal wrote:
Maybe this will lead to innovation in regards to tires and wheels.  If we can put someone on the moon I'm sure its possible to make...

Maybe this will lead to innovation in regards to tires and wheels.  If we can put someone on the moon I'm sure its possible to make it down a mountain without getting a flat tire.  I feel like a lot of bike components have subpar reliability these days anyways and us as the consumer have been putting up with it for a long time.

Has NOTHING to do with what the consumer WANTS.  Every company could make a Dh tire /rim combo that doesn't flat.

But nobody wants to risk losing a race running something heavy enough to cross the line intact and fully inflated EVERY SINGLE TIME.

And no one is gonna buy that tire unless it's got a motocross engine attached to it.

Maxxis, Michelin, Continental, Vee, Pirelli, Tioga, Kenda...you name it.  They could ALL make that tire.
But you can't get GM to run it in a winner takes all race determined by .01 second. And you're not gonna sell it to the public.

It can be made. It can't be sold. To racers or consumers

DirtyHal
10/2/2023 10:52am
DirtyHal wrote:
Maybe this will lead to innovation in regards to tires and wheels.  If we can put someone on the moon I'm sure its possible to make...

bizutch wrote:
Has NOTHING to do with what the consumer WANTS.  Every company could make a Dh tire /rim combo that doesn't flat. But nobody wants to risk...

Has NOTHING to do with what the consumer WANTS.  Every company could make a Dh tire /rim combo that doesn't flat.

But nobody wants to risk losing a race running something heavy enough to cross the line intact and fully inflated EVERY SINGLE TIME.

And no one is gonna buy that tire unless it's got a motocross engine attached to it.

Maxxis, Michelin, Continental, Vee, Pirelli, Tioga, Kenda...you name it.  They could ALL make that tire.
But you can't get GM to run it in a winner takes all race determined by .01 second. And you're not gonna sell it to the public.

It can be made. It can't be sold. To racers or consumers

I should have been more specific, I didn't mean tires that literally never broke but the rate of failure could be improved upon certainly.  

Anecdotally I would like to see a count of tire failures by brand in Semi Finals and Finals this year.  It would be interesting to see if Maxxis has significantly more issues than say Continental.  I have watched most of the finals runs this year and off the top of my head I can't recall any Continental failures?  Again, this would be anecdotal but interesting nonetheless.

veefour
Fantasy
315th
10/2/2023 11:30am
DirtyHal wrote:
I should have been more specific, I didn't mean tires that literally never broke but the rate of failure could be improved upon certainly.   Anecdotally I...

I should have been more specific, I didn't mean tires that literally never broke but the rate of failure could be improved upon certainly.  

Anecdotally I would like to see a count of tire failures by brand in Semi Finals and Finals this year.  It would be interesting to see if Maxxis has significantly more issues than say Continental.  I have watched most of the finals runs this year and off the top of my head I can't recall any Continental failures?  Again, this would be anecdotal but interesting nonetheless.

Not a race run, but Oisin O'Callaghan's running Contis and flatted in practice, not too surprising on this track. I can't think of any other examples though, Maxxis certainly seem to have a much higher failure rate. Aren't the Contis lighter too?

I'm wondering if the Reserve rims are part of the problem (at least as far as SC are concerned). I know Neko was running them at one point, but has switched to DT Swiss.

jonkranked
Fantasy
824th
10/2/2023 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2023 12:21pm
DirtyHal wrote:
I should have been more specific, I didn't mean tires that literally never broke but the rate of failure could be improved upon certainly.   Anecdotally I...

veefour wrote:
Not a race run, but Oisin O'Callaghan's running Contis and flatted in practice, not too surprising on this track. I can't think of any other examples...

Not a race run, but Oisin O'Callaghan's running Contis and flatted in practice, not too surprising on this track. I can't think of any other examples though, Maxxis certainly seem to have a much higher failure rate. Aren't the Contis lighter too?

I'm wondering if the Reserve rims are part of the problem (at least as far as SC are concerned). I know Neko was running them at one point, but has switched to DT Swiss.

"Maxxis certainly seem to have a much higher failure rate"

is that because more riders are on maxxis so it just seems like a higher failure rate (eg there are more of them out there so the discrete # of failures will inherently be higher)? or is it actually a higher defect rate? 

10/2/2023 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2023 12:30pm
veefour wrote:
Not a race run, but Oisin O'Callaghan's running Contis and flatted in practice, not too surprising on this track. I can't think of any other examples...

Speaking of the reserve wheels, did you see Goldstone basically ride nearly a whole run through the rocks etc on a completely flat tire and there was no damage to the rim!? Brings that Danny mcaskill tireless reserve wheel video to mind…

quite different to Daprela’s enve explosion 💥 

clearly they are very strong rims, maybe TOO strong that they causing punctures 🤷🏻‍♂️

veefour
Fantasy
315th
10/2/2023 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2023 12:57pm
jonkranked wrote:
"Maxxis certainly seem to have a much higher failure rate" is that because more riders are on maxxis so it just seems like a higher failure...

is that because more riders are on maxxis so it just seems like a higher failure rate (eg there are more of them out there so the discrete # of failures will inherently be higher)? or is it actually a higher defect rate? 

I don't know, but there are a fair few teams running Contis and as Dirty Hal says I also can't think of any riders flatting on them during race runs this season, whereas the list for riders on Maxxis that I can think of immediately is pretty long, especially if you count Minnaar's separately.

bizutch
Fantasy
655th
10/2/2023 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2023 2:21pm
jonkranked wrote:
"Maxxis certainly seem to have a much higher failure rate" is that because more riders are on maxxis so it just seems like a higher failure...

veefour wrote:
I don't know, but there are a fair few teams running Contis and as Dirty Hal says I also can't think of any riders flatting on...

I don't know, but there are a fair few teams running Contis and as Dirty Hal says I also can't think of any riders flatting on them during race runs this season, whereas the list for riders on Maxxis that I can think of immediately is pretty long, especially if you count Minnaar's separately.

It's also hard to guage because riders with flats in Qualifying aren't seen on video.
Then Semi-Finals & Finals. 

I'm looking at Roots & Rain right now to try to spot flats that terminated runs to the point of being even 10 seconds off the finals pace & you don't see them.  That speaks volumes about modern wheel/tire tech.

Think about it:Qualies, Semis, Finals.  Look at the results sheet. In the past, you'd see a massive time gap for 5 guys who came down with flats.  But not now.

The course I laid out for the Sugar Mtn Natl, the resort owner closed the waterfall section for just race runs.  A hatchet rock fell out of the grass bank into the grass ditch they routed it into. It punctured 5 of final 7 racers rear tires & gave us a disappointing race.  ONE ROCK ON GRASS took out Rando, Bangert & more. 

Yet here we are watching Snowshoe get 100+ of the best racers in the world exploding into trees, smashing step downs & cart wheeling and in the end...maybe 5 guys were affected by tire issues on a dry course for 3 max effort runs.  We've come pretty damn far.

Jon_Angieri
Fantasy
2240th
10/2/2023 2:50pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2023 2:50pm

I’ve been curious about something.. How come DH racers aren’t running the rope spokes?? Seems like they would help in the compliance department.  Could it be that the teams don’t have a good understanding of them yet in regards to fine tuning or are they too fragile? I’m sure I’m missing the obvious not hopefully someone can enlighten me

jonkranked
Fantasy
824th
10/2/2023 3:00pm
I’ve been curious about something.. How come DH racers aren’t running the rope spokes?? Seems like they would help in the compliance department.  Could it be...

I’ve been curious about something.. How come DH racers aren’t running the rope spokes?? Seems like they would help in the compliance department.  Could it be that the teams don’t have a good understanding of them yet in regards to fine tuning or are they too fragile? I’m sure I’m missing the obvious not hopefully someone can enlighten me

Don't they take a lot longer to lace up than traditional spokes?  Given how often wc mechanics have to lace wheels to begin with, any extra time in that process is probably a non-starter. 

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest