MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
3/11/2022 5:32am
peecee wrote:
How big are nekos rotors ? Look bigger than 220mm surely ? [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2022/03/11/12164/s1200_86EFD9A6_3ED0_484A_B69E_C8EA9E560AB2.jpg[/img]
How big are nekos rotors ? Look bigger than 220mm surely ?

Looks like a Galfer. Weren’t they prototyping a 246mm rotor last year? Or in 2020? The wave design which i think is the one on the photo, prior to last year’s 223mm proto with the cooling fins/blades/thingys.
Karabuka
Fantasy
3075th
3/11/2022 5:47am
Karabuka wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2022/03/11/12163/s1200_Screenshot_20220311_065352_Instagram.jpg[/img]

baronKanon wrote:
Topaz2 with new graphics?
Looks more than just that - different can, not only trunnion, and what seems like bb-tool cuts above the seal, I guess thats for dissasembly?
Mr.Nally
3/11/2022 6:59am
I can see why Gwin covers his up. Not exactly a looker. Shame, since that Cero m29 was one of the best looking bikes of the...
I can see why Gwin covers his up. Not exactly a looker. Shame, since that Cero m29 was one of the best looking bikes of the last 10 years.
while I agree on the looks, Gwin covered his own up as it was a Trek Session. ;-)
luisgutrod
Fantasy
509th
3/11/2022 8:46am
Karabuka wrote:
Looks more than just that - different can, not only trunnion, and what seems like bb-tool cuts above the seal, I guess thats for dissasembly? [img]https://dvosuspension.com/2020/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/topaz-2-top-gallery4.jpg[/img]
Looks more than just that - different can, not only trunnion, and what seems like bb-tool cuts above the seal, I guess thats for dissasembly?
its the same reservoir in the JadeX, probaly they are ditching previous one for good
literally
Fantasy
4046th
3/11/2022 10:46am
I'm no engineer, but that top shock mount on the rocker link looks like it will see a ton of rotation. I wonder if they have...
I'm no engineer, but that top shock mount on the rocker link looks like it will see a ton of rotation. I wonder if they have needle bearings or something to help with friction during rotation. I've run RWC needle bearings on a few bikes and in my experience, there is a tangible benefit.
the turner dw dhr had some extreme angle/rotation as well. i didn't follow but did it have any issues?
w4s
3/11/2022 11:15am
I'm no engineer, but that top shock mount on the rocker link looks like it will see a ton of rotation. I wonder if they have...
I'm no engineer, but that top shock mount on the rocker link looks like it will see a ton of rotation. I wonder if they have needle bearings or something to help with friction during rotation. I've run RWC needle bearings on a few bikes and in my experience, there is a tangible benefit.
literally wrote:
the turner dw dhr had some extreme angle/rotation as well. i didn't follow but did it have any issues?
I didn't have any issues with mine, the rear triangle was really beefy and heavy.

matmattmatthew
3/11/2022 11:17am
literally wrote:
Not sure about the DHR, but I know that Scott made a big deal about their previous generation Gambler having minimal shock rotation. It was mentioned in nearly every article about the frame.

"The floating link creates a progressive feeling suspension with an almost direct compression of the shock, minimizing DU bushing rotation. This increases shock bushing life and improves small bump sensitivity.”

"The linkage system is designed to minimize shock hardware rotation; this reduces wear and Scott reckon helps keep the initial stroke nice and supple (more relevant when running an air shock). "

This doesn't seem to be something that gets mentioned by many (any?) companies nowadays. Maybe it's one of those mythical things, like pedal kickback Wink
3/11/2022 11:54am
AndehM wrote:
That's a new AXS Reverb too. The collar is different (not big chonky silver thing) and the battery part at the back under the saddle looks...
That's a new AXS Reverb too. The collar is different (not big chonky silver thing) and the battery part at the back under the saddle looks different.
any one got a link to pics of this supposed new axs reverb?
The image that post is referring to seems to have been deleted.

I sent my axs reverb back under warranty and it took over 12 months to get a replacement in my hands.

The replacement now has the same issue as the one that was sent back.

Would be curious as to what changes they have made?
Jrp
Fantasy
3775th
3/11/2022 12:13pm
Karabuka wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2022/03/11/12163/s1200_Screenshot_20220311_065352_Instagram.jpg[/img]

baronKanon wrote:
Topaz2 with new graphics?
Karabuka wrote:
Looks more than just that - different can, not only trunnion, and what seems like bb-tool cuts above the seal, I guess thats for dissasembly? [img]https://dvosuspension.com/2020/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/topaz-2-top-gallery4.jpg[/img]
3/11/2022 12:27pm
I would say this is a very long time coming. They got their 27.5 TX spot on but always make the 29ers so dull.

stoic_machine
3/11/2022 2:47pm
I would say this is a very long time coming. They got their 27.5 TX spot on but always make the 29ers so dull. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2022/03/11/12166/s1200_2e19e48ab56cf3e0bac8a56a03beba3c.jpg[/img]
I would say this is a very long time coming. They got their 27.5 TX spot on but always make the 29ers so dull.

I had heard rumblings the DW link Design has some limitations when it comes to long travel and big wheels.
--
Maybe They are doing the whole figuring out if they should move to a new suspension layout type thing before they update everything. Giant hangs onto designs and what not far longer than most companies so if there is a plan to update these bikes my guess is they want to creat another "future proof" platform to work from.
--
Or maybe they kinda don't actually care about being in every segment of MTB and or leading in any of them because manufacturing for other companies and making city bikes and e-bikes yields far more profit...
jeff231
Fantasy
498th
3/11/2022 3:03pm
literally wrote:
Not sure about the DHR, but I know that Scott made a big deal about their previous generation Gambler having minimal shock rotation. It was mentioned...
Not sure about the DHR, but I know that Scott made a big deal about their previous generation Gambler having minimal shock rotation. It was mentioned in nearly every article about the frame.

"The floating link creates a progressive feeling suspension with an almost direct compression of the shock, minimizing DU bushing rotation. This increases shock bushing life and improves small bump sensitivity.”

"The linkage system is designed to minimize shock hardware rotation; this reduces wear and Scott reckon helps keep the initial stroke nice and supple (more relevant when running an air shock). "

This doesn't seem to be something that gets mentioned by many (any?) companies nowadays. Maybe it's one of those mythical things, like pedal kickback Wink
It was definitely a problem for me on the DW DHR. I went through countless linkage-side DU bushings. For example I started with brand new bushing/hardware on the first day of a rainy whistler trip and there was visible slop in the bushing by the end of the day. By the end of the trip I was wrapping the aluminum spacers in teflon tape each morning and each lunch break to minimize the movement haha.
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
3/11/2022 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2022 3:17pm
Holy bananas that damper shaft! Nicely designed too, very easily serviceable by the looks of it. Props DVO!

Regarding shock bushing rotation, bearing mounts anyone?
mfoga
Fantasy
180th
3/11/2022 8:33pm
I would say this is a very long time coming. They got their 27.5 TX spot on but always make the 29ers so dull. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2022/03/11/12166/s1200_2e19e48ab56cf3e0bac8a56a03beba3c.jpg[/img]

I had heard rumblings the DW link Design has some limitations when it comes to long travel and big wheels. -- Maybe They are doing the...
I had heard rumblings the DW link Design has some limitations when it comes to long travel and big wheels.
--
Maybe They are doing the whole figuring out if they should move to a new suspension layout type thing before they update everything. Giant hangs onto designs and what not far longer than most companies so if there is a plan to update these bikes my guess is they want to creat another "future proof" platform to work from.
--
Or maybe they kinda don't actually care about being in every segment of MTB and or leading in any of them because manufacturing for other companies and making city bikes and e-bikes yields far more profit...
Isn't the Pivot DW link?
Volta55
3/11/2022 8:42pm
literally wrote:
Not sure about the DHR, but I know that Scott made a big deal about their previous generation Gambler having minimal shock rotation. It was mentioned...

jeff231 wrote:
It was definitely a problem for me on the DW DHR. I went through countless linkage-side DU bushings. For example I started with brand new bushing/hardware...
It was definitely a problem for me on the DW DHR. I went through countless linkage-side DU bushings. For example I started with brand new bushing/hardware on the first day of a rainy whistler trip and there was visible slop in the bushing by the end of the day. By the end of the trip I was wrapping the aluminum spacers in teflon tape each morning and each lunch break to minimize the movement haha.
Sounds like your rear shock was fkd

I had multiple different shocks on my DW-DHR and it stayed tight for years
nollak
Fantasy
1368th
3/11/2022 11:30pm
Doesn‘t Santa Cruz use a bearing mount on the lower link due to larger rotational movement?

I was thinking about upgrading the shock on my wife‘s Bronson v3 but it‘s somehow hard to find shocks with that mount.
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
3/12/2022 1:05am
I think only Rock Shox has them. As for SC, yeah, they use the bearing mount on RS shocks.
3/12/2022 1:11am
Primoz wrote:
I think only Rock Shox has them. As for SC, yeah, they use the bearing mount on RS shocks.
And Fox. It is part of the Metric standards
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
3/12/2022 1:33am
If you mean this: https://www.foxracingshox.de/media/image/cb/9a/b8/812-06-096-KIT-Kit-Mo…

It's a replacement 'bushing'. With RS the bearing mount is a whole different part number - either the top eyelet part (where the reservoir on the Super Deluxe attaches) or the damper body (or damper shaft/eyelet assy on the Coil Super Deluxe).

With Fox you can go either way. With RS you're 'stuck' with the given variant.
3/12/2022 2:25am
That's the one! I have used it for my Öhlins with 3D-printed spacers for my Starling Murmur
C-LION
3/12/2022 6:35am
New Commencal Supreme DH seems ready to be unveiled 😎

peter.p.lloyd
Fantasy
4181st
3/12/2022 6:43am
The Supreme V5 will be released at Lourdes. They said at the end of the Commencal documentary.
BlueSpruce
3/12/2022 7:40am
Primoz wrote:
If you mean this: https://www.foxracingshox.de/media/image/cb/9a/b8/812-06-096-KIT-Kit-Mounting-Hardware-Bearing-Assy-Roller-Full-Complement-30mm-Wide-8mm-Diam-1.jpg It's a replacement 'bushing'. With RS the bearing mount is a whole different part number - either the top eyelet part...
If you mean this: https://www.foxracingshox.de/media/image/cb/9a/b8/812-06-096-KIT-Kit-Mo…

It's a replacement 'bushing'. With RS the bearing mount is a whole different part number - either the top eyelet part (where the reservoir on the Super Deluxe attaches) or the damper body (or damper shaft/eyelet assy on the Coil Super Deluxe).

With Fox you can go either way. With RS you're 'stuck' with the given variant.
These Fox roller bearings are terrible about creaking/clicking. I had to replace them on both of my Santa Cruzes. I went with RWC needle bearings and haven't had any problems.
stoic_machine
3/12/2022 7:43am

I had heard rumblings the DW link Design has some limitations when it comes to long travel and big wheels. -- Maybe They are doing the...
--
--
mfoga wrote:
Isn't the Pivot DW link?
Yes. But also no? Lol
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
3/12/2022 9:19am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2022 9:22am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXu2hPmRbE

Closeup shots of the covered up prototype. The idler area is Session/Neko HP like. And it's a Horst link, so it's possible it was Neko's bike. Or a Session with a different seatstay maybe? o.O

3/12/2022 9:33am
Something new on the way from Michelin? Or is it another brand+ sharpie? Seems weird if it's a sharpie job as Michelin make awesome tyres so surely they wouldn't feel the need for this

Mandingo915
3/12/2022 10:30am
Something new on the way from Michelin? Or is it another brand+ sharpie? Seems weird if it's a sharpie job as Michelin make awesome tyres so...
Something new on the way from Michelin? Or is it another brand+ sharpie? Seems weird if it's a sharpie job as Michelin make awesome tyres so surely they wouldn't feel the need for this

Maybe they don’t do hot patches on protos? Rear tire looks to have logos and I would imagine they would go full sharpie on both if that’s what they were doing
brash
3/12/2022 2:20pm
Primoz wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXu2hPmRbE Closeup shots of the covered up prototype. The idler area is Session/Neko HP like. And it's a Horst link, so it's possible it was Neko's...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXu2hPmRbE

Closeup shots of the covered up prototype. The idler area is Session/Neko HP like. And it's a Horst link, so it's possible it was Neko's bike. Or a Session with a different seatstay maybe? o.O

one thing I noticed was the e-mtb style magnet on his front spokes, wheel speed sensor or something?

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest