MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
monarchmason
1 day ago
xavery23 wrote:
Banshee putting all models on a pretty good discount…sign of the times or something new incoming? Latest iteration came out 2019, so they’re about due… not...

Banshee putting all models on a pretty good discount…sign of the times or something new incoming? Latest iteration came out 2019, so they’re about due… not much to change on them though, maybe slightly better seatube insertion and udh..

Steel?image 16.jpeg?VersionId=xJQ3rK8UB3hLZkJ6JBRjiOBcp

1 day ago
xavery23 wrote:
Banshee putting all models on a pretty good discount…sign of the times or something new incoming? Latest iteration came out 2019, so they’re about due… not...

Banshee putting all models on a pretty good discount…sign of the times or something new incoming? Latest iteration came out 2019, so they’re about due… not much to change on them though, maybe slightly better seatube insertion and udh..

Their dealer email stated the below:

Why the Sale?

We’re running this massive sale to clear out the warehouse and generate the cashflow needed to invest in exciting new products currently in development. 

As the market continues to become more competitive, we need to rebalance our stock while investing in prototypes, extensive testing, and tooling for the future models we plan to launch next year and in the future.

bulletbass man
Fantasy
194th
1 day ago
saskskier wrote:
Any word if/when Marzocchi is going to come out with a 29" 58? I want a simple freeride/park fork that can fit 29" wheels, not a...

Any word if/when Marzocchi is going to come out with a 29" 58? I want a simple freeride/park fork that can fit 29" wheels, not a $2500+ Boxxer Ultimate or Fox Factory 49. 

I got the older boxxer select 29 new for 729.  I've seen ultimates on sale for 850.  As long as you don't want the latest and greatest there is good options out there.  But yes a 29 58 would be sweet.  I love my Z1.  

1 day ago
xavery23 wrote:

Their dealer email stated the below:Why the Sale?We’re running this massive sale to clear out the warehouse and generate the cashflow needed to invest...

Their dealer email stated the below:

Why the Sale?

We’re running this massive sale to clear out the warehouse and generate the cashflow needed to invest in exciting new products currently in development. 

As the market continues to become more competitive, we need to rebalance our stock while investing in prototypes, extensive testing, and tooling for the future models we plan to launch next year and in the future.

About a week ago on Facebook they made a post asking who wants a new Darkside, it will be interesting to see if their new lineup is just small tweaks to existing models with the addition of a freeride/super enduro bike.

jma853
Fantasy
3939th
1 day ago
Nobble wrote:
Last time I talked to the LBS, they said that the 44 and the 48 lower crown were both unavailable with no estimated stock date.I was...

Last time I talked to the LBS, they said that the 44 and the 48 lower crown were both unavailable with no estimated stock date.

I was considering buying a Marzocchi 58 for the crowns because they’ve been on sale but it looks like they ditched the 48mm option too.

If you really want one ASAP here's a 48mm option:

https://industrie-t.com/produkt/gb1-f48/ 

They're not cheap, but at least they're in stock. I think Mojo stopped making the MORCs so those may not be an option anymore.

Nobble
1 day ago
Nobble wrote:
Last time I talked to the LBS, they said that the 44 and the 48 lower crown were both unavailable with no estimated stock date.I was...

Last time I talked to the LBS, they said that the 44 and the 48 lower crown were both unavailable with no estimated stock date.

I was considering buying a Marzocchi 58 for the crowns because they’ve been on sale but it looks like they ditched the 48mm option too.

jma853 wrote:
If you really want one ASAP here's a 48mm option:https://industrie-t.com/produkt/gb1-f48/ They're not cheap, but at least they're in stock. I think Mojo stopped making the...

If you really want one ASAP here's a 48mm option:

https://industrie-t.com/produkt/gb1-f48/ 

They're not cheap, but at least they're in stock. I think Mojo stopped making the MORCs so those may not be an option anymore.

Those are actually quite a bit cheaper than a pair of the Fox crowns.

The only problem is that they don’t offer a dropped upper crown. I’m not sure if I could make a flat upper crown work on my XL frame.

Eae903
1 day ago Edited Date/Time 1 day ago
Eae903 wrote:
Does a tuned mass damper really do all that much in MTB applications though? The motion of a bike isn't very consistent, so the vibrations will...

Does a tuned mass damper really do all that much in MTB applications though? The motion of a bike isn't very consistent, so the vibrations will vary a lot. 

Yes it does, I can tell you. Have one on my bike and it is a massive difference in how the entire fork/wheel feels.

Right on. Reading about them here and on pink bike have made me get really curious about them and now I want to make one for myself. What materials are they making the sprung weight out of? The Countersycle on is either 350 or 550 grams. 550g in that small of a package is pretty crazy, it would have to be denser than brass or lead, unless they mass doesn't move that much inside the sleeve.

Update: I would guess it's made of tungsten, since it's almost 20g per cm^3

bikelurker
1 day ago Edited Date/Time 1 day ago
saskskier wrote:
Any word if/when Marzocchi is going to come out with a 29" 58? I want a simple freeride/park fork that can fit 29" wheels, not a...

Any word if/when Marzocchi is going to come out with a 29" 58? I want a simple freeride/park fork that can fit 29" wheels, not a $2500+ Boxxer Ultimate or Fox Factory 49. 

I think the only reason a 29" 58 does not exist is called Freeride

hairybarnyard
Fantasy
2781st
22 hours ago
TimBud wrote:

Another opinion 

I don't disagree with him. Having said that, isolating the vertical natural frequency of a frame should be pretty straightforward and would go along way to minimising those vibrations felt by the rider. If you've got an FE model of the front triangle already, running a modal frequency analysis takes no time at all and will get you in the right ball park for the most significant frequencies that get excited.

Karabuka
Fantasy
3075th
20 hours ago Edited Date/Time 20 hours ago
xavery23 wrote:

Banshee have already commented on UDH, Keith said he prefers adjustability (replacable/adjustable dropouts are the only adjustability they provide) and UDH would make that impossible. Frame insertion could be indeed better, I can only run 150mm drop on M Titan. But the bike is amazing to ride despite being a couple of years old!

I really like how Pivot used full 12years old groupset on a brand new DH bikes in the highest spec configuration, well done!

SteveClimber
Fantasy
2245th
19 hours ago
xavery23 wrote:

Karabuka wrote:
Banshee have already commented on UDH, Keith said he prefers adjustability (replacable/adjustable dropouts are the only adjustability they provide) and UDH would make that impossible. Frame...

Banshee have already commented on UDH, Keith said he prefers adjustability (replacable/adjustable dropouts are the only adjustability they provide) and UDH would make that impossible. Frame insertion could be indeed better, I can only run 150mm drop on M Titan. But the bike is amazing to ride despite being a couple of years old!

I really like how Pivot used full 12years old groupset on a brand new DH bikes in the highest spec configuration, well done!

Does that groupset not do the job? Would you prefer the bike to be more expensive with a groupset released last year that accomplishes the exact same thing?

I love how as a community we complain that novices by bike by the derailleur model, and then we also complain about derailleur models. 

SilentG
18 hours ago
Nobble wrote:
It’s not 100% on topic for this thread, but it’s probably more on topic than the crustacean discussion.A while back I think I saw some slick...

It’s not 100% on topic for this thread, but it’s probably more on topic than the crustacean discussion.

A while back I think I saw some slick moto style split triple clamps on here. Does anyone remember what they were, or if anyone else makes aftermarket Fox 40 crowns?

I’m trying to find a set of 44 or 48mm offset crowns; the Fox ones seem to be vaporware according to the LBS (and they’re horrifically expensive)

chriskief wrote:
You can get 48mm crowns from Fox. The 44mm have been discontinued but they did have the lower crown and flat upper crown a few months...

You can get 48mm crowns from Fox. The 44mm have been discontinued but they did have the lower crown and flat upper crown a few months back.

Here's the part numbers...

Screenshot 2024-10-03 at 4.13.28%E2%80%AFPM.png?VersionId=wQDMaCdYTZW1Rd7JeoDh1gbj7STuY

Nobble wrote:

https://risseracing.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=710 for a drop crown andhttps://risseracing.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=35 for a non-drop crown for the 40 might work for what you are describing.

HexonJuan
16 hours ago
saskskier wrote:

26aintdead wrote:

Suntour RUX?

Seconded. The higher end Suntour goods are not to be overlooked from a price:performance:maintenance view.

Eae903
15 hours ago
saskskier wrote:

26aintdead wrote:

Suntour RUX?

HexonJuan wrote:

Seconded. The higher end Suntour goods are not to be overlooked from a price:performance:maintenance view.

Isn't the Manitou Dorado a 57 or 58mm offset too? Their airsprings are great, and having the progression tuneable would be good for free ride. 

nskerb
15 hours ago

I'm kind of surprised there isnt much for options regarding aftermarket DH crowns. Maybe theres just not enough people willing to buy them. They are all the rage in moto just for the cool factor mostly but people eat those things up. 

The raw looking machined crowns on the last 35mm boxxers looked so good. I'd be all over a set of of similar looking ones for 40's. I think ride engineering/luxxon/cascade or WRP would be all over that, maybe its just too cost prohibitive idk. 

C2
Fantasy
2696th
15 hours ago
tarekfahmy wrote:
From Vampires bikes IG, you keep the same shock, same stroke length etc etc just change the pivot location and add the idler on the two...

From Vampires bikes IG, you keep the same shock, same stroke length etc etc just change the pivot location and add the idler on the two higher position

gibbon wrote:
If you maintain stroke but increase travel then you are increasing LR and will need to up the spring rate to keep sag % constant (and...

If you maintain stroke but increase travel then you are increasing LR and will need to up the spring rate to keep sag % constant (and vice versa if reducing). If you are moving the idler position then chain length will have to alter (less critical on Shimano but crucial for Sram).

Nobble wrote:

Pretty sure it adds progression to counter the increase in leverage ratio as the travel gets longer.

Yep!-  

Simcik
14 hours ago Edited Date/Time 14 hours ago
nskerb wrote:
I'm kind of surprised there isnt much for options regarding aftermarket DH crowns. Maybe theres just not enough people willing to buy them. They are all...

I'm kind of surprised there isnt much for options regarding aftermarket DH crowns. Maybe theres just not enough people willing to buy them. They are all the rage in moto just for the cool factor mostly but people eat those things up. 

The raw looking machined crowns on the last 35mm boxxers looked so good. I'd be all over a set of of similar looking ones for 40's. I think ride engineering/luxxon/cascade or WRP would be all over that, maybe its just too cost prohibitive idk. 

I think it comes down to volume of scale. I dont know if there are enough DH bikes sold every year where a certain percentage of those will buy an aftermarket crown set to justify for a brand the R&D and costs of producing and selling them. I think there is a larger number of moto riders who will buy them for their moto because there are a lot more SX motos sold every year compared to DH bikes. I ride motos and have ridden DH bikes for decades. I have bought one set of MTB aftermarket crowns over the years, a set for a 2004 Marzocchi 888 because the stock crowns were insanely tall. 

I've ridden motos with forged versus CNC versus split CNC crowns and can feel the difference. Enough to justify buying a $700+ set of crowns? I wouldn't, for MTB or moto. 

WMullins
14 hours ago
iceman2058 wrote:
Pivot's fifth generation downhill bike is more race ready than ever and loaded with adjustability - oh and it's 35 pounds as well. Read all about...

Pivot's fifth generation downhill bike is more race ready than ever and loaded with adjustability - oh and it's 35 pounds as well. Read all about it in our review: https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/2025-pivot-phoenix-downhill-bike-review 🤘

35 lb's with the dual chain setup is quite impressive IMO, just wonder where the weight savings came from? Hopefully, we don't see another Bernard Kerr Hardline type of incident lol.

chasejj
14 hours ago
26aintdead wrote:

Suntour RUX?

HexonJuan wrote:

Eae903 wrote:

Isn't the Manitou Dorado a 57 or 58mm offset too? Their airsprings are great, and having the progression tuneable would be good for free ride. 

Rulezman has crowns for Manitous with lots of drop, and as I recall a 47mm offset. Hit him up. 

ssk
14 hours ago
Everyone designing bikes can rest easy knowing AI hasn’t caught on yet. The closer you look the more your head hurts.

Everyone designing bikes can rest easy knowing AI hasn’t caught on yet. The closer you look the more your head hurts.IMG 6893

And then Haibike was like: "Hold my beer..." EDIT: I'm just realising I was a bit late on this one. Sorry guys. 

And then Haibike was like: "Hold my beer..." 

EDIT: I'm just realising I was a bit late on this one. Sorry guys. 

1000034003.jpg?VersionId=f8xmsrLEXb26iQGZ

Is that the new Cannondale e-super V?

14 hours ago
iceman2058 wrote:
Pivot's fifth generation downhill bike is more race ready than ever and loaded with adjustability - oh and it's 35 pounds as well. Read all about...

Pivot's fifth generation downhill bike is more race ready than ever and loaded with adjustability - oh and it's 35 pounds as well. Read all about it in our review: https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/2025-pivot-phoenix-downhill-bike-review 🤘

WMullins wrote:
35 lb's with the dual chain setup is quite impressive IMO, just wonder where the weight savings came from? Hopefully, we don't see another Bernard Kerr...

35 lb's with the dual chain setup is quite impressive IMO, just wonder where the weight savings came from? Hopefully, we don't see another Bernard Kerr Hardline type of incident lol.

I had the previous model Phoenix 29 with a coil shock and all aluminum parts that weighed 35lbs on the dot. I think those could get as low as 33.5lbs with all carbon parts. The new frame is definitely slimmer but the dual chain system probably weighs an extra pound or two.

1llumA
Fantasy
680th
13 hours ago

A full length chain is around 250g, the 2nd on the Pivot is probably a third of that so 85g, an alu chainring is around 60g so with axle and mounting hardware I would estimate it to be around 200-250g of extra weight to a normal setup or half a pound extra.

13 hours ago

There are a few reasons why we haven't done crowns.

1. To be honest unless you go really wild with offset, it's an adjustment you get used to and no longer feel. I've gone back and forth between 50 mm offsets on my trail bikes to match my DH bike and then 44 mm offset on my DH bike to match my trail bike and found it takes less than a day to get accustomed to the change. I actually spoke with the guy who did the Outsider adjustable crowns about this and he had the same experience. So to me there isn't value in doing it on my own bike. If I don't see myself spending the money on it I assume most others won't either considering I like spending money on bikes much more than most.

2. So many people do not understand the implications of offset/trail. An example from Matt Beer's article on DH fork offsets: "I’ve also found that rolling the bars back on downhill bikes with longer fork offset to be necessary to neutralize or slow down the wheel-flop." The implication here is that longer offset results in more pronounced wheel flop. The reality is longer offset results in less wheel flop because reduced trail = less flop and faster steering but less of a self centering caster type affect. Another example from Paul Aston's review of the Outsider crowns: "The longest offset made the bike the most unstable and twitchy, and I could feel the contact patch moving forwards and backward along the tire when turning the handlebar." This is partially right because less trail does make for more twitch, but again he seems to be describing wheel flop and again attributing it to a longer offset. If you are changing offset to address a perceived issue but are actually making an adjustment in the wrong direction for that particular issue, it begs the question of whether or not that issue is real or if it's actually something else entirely.

3. I believe there is a strong argument for more experienced riders running longer offsets. Look no further than the fact that lots of WC riders have not gone out of their way to shorten their offset. This is the group that's going to be willing to spend serious money on new crowns. With better bike control, the self-centering stability of more trail isn't as big of a deal and there's the potential upside of quicker steering.

noodlenosteeze
Fantasy
1637th
12 hours ago
saskskier wrote:

I got the older boxxer select 29 new for 729.  I've seen ultimates on sale for 850.  As long as you don't want the latest and...

I got the older boxxer select 29 new for 729.  I've seen ultimates on sale for 850.  As long as you don't want the latest and greatest there is good options out there.  But yes a 29 58 would be sweet.  I love my Z1.  

A few months ago I was shuttling with a few buddies, and while we were stopped and eyeballing a feature I saw a guy ride by with what I swear was a 58 29. It had the M bridge but the wheel looked too large to be a 27.5".

12 hours ago
saskskier wrote:

Probably never. The Marzocchi forks are just 2016 40s with a grip damper 

Karabuka
Fantasy
3075th
12 hours ago
Does that groupset not do the job? Would you prefer the bike to be more expensive with a groupset released last year that accomplishes the exact...

Does that groupset not do the job? Would you prefer the bike to be more expensive with a groupset released last year that accomplishes the exact same thing?

I love how as a community we complain that novices by bike by the derailleur model, and then we also complain about derailleur models. 

I wasnt joking, I absolutely love Saint as it clearly shows how good a well designed parts can stand the test of time...

Eae903
12 hours ago
There are a few reasons why we haven't done crowns.1. To be honest unless you go really wild with offset, it's an adjustment you get used...

There are a few reasons why we haven't done crowns.

1. To be honest unless you go really wild with offset, it's an adjustment you get used to and no longer feel. I've gone back and forth between 50 mm offsets on my trail bikes to match my DH bike and then 44 mm offset on my DH bike to match my trail bike and found it takes less than a day to get accustomed to the change. I actually spoke with the guy who did the Outsider adjustable crowns about this and he had the same experience. So to me there isn't value in doing it on my own bike. If I don't see myself spending the money on it I assume most others won't either considering I like spending money on bikes much more than most.

2. So many people do not understand the implications of offset/trail. An example from Matt Beer's article on DH fork offsets: "I’ve also found that rolling the bars back on downhill bikes with longer fork offset to be necessary to neutralize or slow down the wheel-flop." The implication here is that longer offset results in more pronounced wheel flop. The reality is longer offset results in less wheel flop because reduced trail = less flop and faster steering but less of a self centering caster type affect. Another example from Paul Aston's review of the Outsider crowns: "The longest offset made the bike the most unstable and twitchy, and I could feel the contact patch moving forwards and backward along the tire when turning the handlebar." This is partially right because less trail does make for more twitch, but again he seems to be describing wheel flop and again attributing it to a longer offset. If you are changing offset to address a perceived issue but are actually making an adjustment in the wrong direction for that particular issue, it begs the question of whether or not that issue is real or if it's actually something else entirely.

3. I believe there is a strong argument for more experienced riders running longer offsets. Look no further than the fact that lots of WC riders have not gone out of their way to shorten their offset. This is the group that's going to be willing to spend serious money on new crowns. With better bike control, the self-centering stability of more trail isn't as big of a deal and there's the potential upside of quicker steering.

How much would you think it would cost a consumer to have someone machine custom crowns for their fork if they wanted to? 

HexonJuan
11 hours ago
26aintdead wrote:

Suntour RUX?

HexonJuan wrote:

Eae903 wrote:

57 on the 29 crowns. The IRT is a total winner in my book, but one of the most overlooked aspects of their dampers is the HBO that's found on the Comp in addition to the Expert & Pro levels. I've a Mattoc Comp on my hardtail and that was a welcome surprise when I did the first oil change on it. I can only imagine the same is present on the Dorado series. IRT is way valid if not a bit persnickety to set up initially. Once you have your pressure ranges down it's no diff than any other air fork though, but the Dorado Comp is coil, so would be a heckuva park fork. But to the OP, I believe they might be looking for something a bit less, cost wise. The Rux is possibly one of the quickest, easiest forks to do a complete full teardown on.

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest