MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
B Rabbit
7/19/2024 3:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2024 3:26pm

Yeah, odd  they just didn’t do a Stumpy Evo-esq update last year. Adjustable head cups etc. Just modernise the geo a tad, keep the suspension layout the same and do a full redesign after the proto demo becomes production. Maybe they didn’t want to invest in the moulds due to the covid slump and thought they’d skip a generation 🤷 

peecee
Fantasy
318th
7/19/2024 5:22pm
Foes was nearly 30 years ago! The yeti DH-8 lawwill bikes had a mini brake arm, Cannondale too. Interestingly Sunn, Vprocesse and Honda bikes didn't, despite...

Foes was nearly 30 years ago! The yeti DH-8 lawwill bikes had a mini brake arm, Cannondale too. Interestingly Sunn, Vprocesse and Honda bikes didn't, despite being designs you would think suited it, and being very advanced bikes for their time. (they may have tried it but it certainly wasn't their standard choice)

I think they are a cool idea - combined with chain idlers you can theoretically decouple the drivetrain, braking and wheelpath characteristics and adjust them all independently. Obviously this is a lot of extra complication but they can be a powerful tuning tool!

foes mofo bike

The VProcess also used one at one stage I saw an image of it the other day I’ll upload when I find it, orange also used a brake arm, even the Tomac 204 Lawwill tested it on some of the team bikes. 

seanfisseli
7/19/2024 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2024 5:29pm
WarrenB wrote:

Really? A minor update for their most outdated bike? Bizarre

Rumor I heard was that there were major production issues that set the Enduro back a whole year…

TayRob
Fantasy
1831st
7/19/2024 6:25pm
WarrenB wrote:

Rumor I heard was that there were major production issues that set the Enduro back a whole year…

This jives with what I have heard around and through the grapevine, too. I guess the bikes were damn near ready to go, but something happened when scaling them up for full production. Last I heard there was not even a hint of an ETA for release. 

seanfisseli
7/19/2024 8:10pm
WarrenB wrote:

TayRob wrote:
This jives with what I have heard around and through the grapevine, too. I guess the bikes were damn near ready to go, but something happened...

This jives with what I have heard around and through the grapevine, too. I guess the bikes were damn near ready to go, but something happened when scaling them up for full production. Last I heard there was not even a hint of an ETA for release. 

Yep that’s what I heard. 

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
7/19/2024 11:40pm
WarrenB wrote:

Not if they have a pile of front triangles laying around 

Do they? With all the warranties and issues the front triangle had I would expect rear triangles being in the surplus...

SteveClimber
Fantasy
2245th
7/20/2024 1:33am
WarrenB wrote:

Primoz wrote:

Do they? With all the warranties and issues the front triangle had I would expect rear triangles being in the surplus...

Beat me to it Primoz!

They would have a mountain of rear triangles because of the insane failure rate of the front triangles from not 1, but 4 common points of failure.

I can only assume production issues mean they went with the complicated pull link design seen on the prototype demo?

Snakes
7/20/2024 1:55am

Specialized has great warranty support, they give you a whole new frame, not just the failed part. And there were also issues with seatstays, a lot of people broke them. I don't believe there is any surplus.

NicoZesty96
7/20/2024 2:40am

Primoz wrote:

Beat me to it Primoz!They would have a mountain of rear triangles because of the insane failure rate of the front triangles from not 1, but...

Beat me to it Primoz!

They would have a mountain of rear triangles because of the insane failure rate of the front triangles from not 1, but 4 common points of failure.

I can only assume production issues mean they went with the complicated pull link design seen on the prototype demo?

Isn’t it funny how this is a known issue yet nobody gives shit to Specialized for the amount of failures while other brands that have a few broken frames here and there ( that get replaced under warranty) takes shit for years and years?

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
7/20/2024 2:56am

Because Specialized handle it so well.

Whereas a lot of other brands begrudge warranty and make any claims an absolute ballache.

The amount of failures is also directly related for the amount they sell too. Proportionally it’s probably very similar to everyone else.

monarchmason
7/20/2024 6:08am

Sooo I knew the frames had a week spot. But 4 of them? Could someone tell me what those 4 are?

Jotegr
7/20/2024 8:24am

Sooo I knew the frames had a week spot. But 4 of them? Could someone tell me what those 4 are?

On the front triangle id have to assume they are head tube, down tube, seat tube, and top tube. 

Nobble
7/20/2024 10:35am

The common issues on Enduro frames I know of are:

1. Early sworks frames came with a carbon pull-link. These had issues breaking.

2. The integrated headset bearing races have issues cracking and delaminating

3. They've had issues cracking on the seat tube where the rocker link pivot goes through.

As far as I know, the only one that's still common-ish is the headset.

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
7/20/2024 10:46am

Nobble wrote:
The common issues on Enduro frames I know of are:1. Early sworks frames came with a carbon pull-link. These had issues breaking.2. The integrated headset bearing...

The common issues on Enduro frames I know of are:

1. Early sworks frames came with a carbon pull-link. These had issues breaking.

2. The integrated headset bearing races have issues cracking and delaminating

3. They've had issues cracking on the seat tube where the rocker link pivot goes through.

As far as I know, the only one that's still common-ish is the headset.

#1 was fixed by moving to an alloy link. The old carbon link is still shown in the manual, but no longer available.

The other two were supposedly fixed by beefed up layups.

7/20/2024 11:23am

Anyone know what DT Swiss have in the works? Some of their riders (Richie Rude, Danny Hart etc) running plain silver/white coloured wheels with no graphics on them

Would love to see a re-released ex1750 wheelset 

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
7/20/2024 1:00pm
Anyone know what DT Swiss have in the works? Some of their riders (Richie Rude, Danny Hart etc) running plain silver/white coloured wheels with no graphics...

Anyone know what DT Swiss have in the works? Some of their riders (Richie Rude, Danny Hart etc) running plain silver/white coloured wheels with no graphics on them

Not sure, but I know they’re not helping Trickstuff improve their manufacturing efficiency 

boozed
7/20/2024 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2024 8:24pm
Anyone know what DT Swiss have in the works? Some of their riders (Richie Rude, Danny Hart etc) running plain silver/white coloured wheels with no graphics...

How would it differ from an EX1700 with white paint?

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
7/21/2024 12:02am

EX 1750 is going to a blast from the past. Google it. 

7/21/2024 1:29am

Trek launching a new electric descender this week. It hits all of the on trend trends, I can’t help but wonder if it’ll flop like the meat powered version?

SteveClimber
Fantasy
2245th
7/21/2024 1:40am

Pull link (fixed)

Headset cracking which is often you see the top tube around the headset crack. 

Seat tube rocker pivot

Seat tube BB junction

Down tube bottle bosses also fails. 

@Nobble is correct in that most of these are "fixed" with newer frames, except the head tube, which still cracks. 

Nobody really makes carbon frames as light as the Enduro anymore, I think all brands (except Scott) just put heaps of extra carbon in to account for manufacturing tolerances in the far east. I'm sure if Spec or any of the brands made their carbon frames in house to very high standards you wouldn't see these failure rates, it's just an intersection of design and QC/manufacturing standard not having enough tolerance. All it takes is 1 void and your frame can be toast. 

dom
7/21/2024 3:58am
Trek launching a new electric descender this week. It hits all of the on trend trends, I can’t help but wonder if it’ll flop like the...

Trek launching a new electric descender this week. It hits all of the on trend trends, I can’t help but wonder if it’ll flop like the meat powered version?

slash with TQ perhaps

I heard on youtube about a new bike with TQ and 520 battery in July so maybee a trek

gbcoke
7/21/2024 4:24am

It is indeed an E-slash with TQ and probably the new TQ 580wh battery.

jsray
Fantasy
784th
7/21/2024 5:47am

Seems to be a lack of sneaky photos of in the forum this summer. 

TQ580. Sounds like a dirtbike. 

7/21/2024 6:33am

I think I saw the e slash on my local trails back in spring. White frame, no branding, gone too fast to take a picture. 

dom
7/21/2024 7:21am
29 wrote:

I think I saw the e slash on my local trails back in spring. White frame, no branding, gone too fast to take a picture. 

Do you remember if it looks like the new slash ? with high pivot?

7/21/2024 7:58am
29 wrote:

dom wrote:

Do you remember if it looks like the new slash ? with high pivot?

yeah, same idler, lower pulley and everything

Fantasy
365th
7/21/2024 10:19am

Enduro getting UDH rear end update only...

b.ay
7/21/2024 11:10am
3971 wrote:

Enduro getting UDH rear end update only...

🤯

Scontoni
7/21/2024 12:13pm

I have definitely not heard anything about the new Trek Slash+ being released on the 26th of July with the new TQ 580Wh, SRAM Maven's on the SRAM spec, weighing 20.9kg / 46lbs in size medium and the 9.9 XO AXS build pricing the same as the non-e Slash 9.9 XX AXS 

ripsomat
Fantasy
1077th
7/21/2024 12:45pm

Pull link (fixed)Headset cracking which is often you see the top tube around the headset crack. Seat tube rocker pivotSeat tube BB junctionDown tube bottle bosses also...

Pull link (fixed)

Headset cracking which is often you see the top tube around the headset crack. 

Seat tube rocker pivot

Seat tube BB junction

Down tube bottle bosses also fails. 

@Nobble is correct in that most of these are "fixed" with newer frames, except the head tube, which still cracks. 

Nobody really makes carbon frames as light as the Enduro anymore, I think all brands (except Scott) just put heaps of extra carbon in to account for manufacturing tolerances in the far east. I'm sure if Spec or any of the brands made their carbon frames in house to very high standards you wouldn't see these failure rates, it's just an intersection of design and QC/manufacturing standard not having enough tolerance. All it takes is 1 void and your frame can be toast. 

My headset cracked… got a new s-works frame, really quick. After a year my seatstay broke in two pices. Got a new seatstay after three weeks. And last week my chainstay broke also…. I‘ll get a new one. Likely I still have my old frame and I switched the stays till I got the new one. 
Just for info: S-Works enduro frame S3 3.200g w/o anything on it. Can‘t compare if it‘s heave or not. 
Three major failures is too much altough the warrenty was excellent. I still anoyed that it breaks, i think these things aren‘t allowed to break. 

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest