MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
FGCKB
7/22/2024 11:33am

Has anyone seen any info or rumors regarding the release dates of next gen of wireless dropper posts? I've seen the patents for the new AXS Reverb. Also there was the leaked Fox Transfer Neo as well as the BikeYoke showing off something at Eurobike. I haven't seen any solid release dates anywhere though.

dolface
Fantasy
594th
7/22/2024 11:52am
FGCKB wrote:
Has anyone seen any info or rumors regarding the release dates of next gen of wireless dropper posts? I've seen the patents for the new AXS...

Has anyone seen any info or rumors regarding the release dates of next gen of wireless dropper posts? I've seen the patents for the new AXS Reverb. Also there was the leaked Fox Transfer Neo as well as the BikeYoke showing off something at Eurobike. I haven't seen any solid release dates anywhere though.

The only thing I've seen is "sometime this year" for the Bike Yoke...

7/22/2024 12:49pm

gonna catch some downvotes for this but man Santa was already making the most boring bikes for "rad dads" out there in either various shades of vomit or colorways trying too hard to appeal to the cool kids (watermelon nomad lol), going wireless only is making them even less appealing to me.

yeah free bearings etc and the build quality is good from what I've seen, but they lost all their coolness factor at the latest when Roskopp left, now it's just a lifeless husk for PON to milk the bikers who want to overcompensate by means of the name on the downtube.

anyways, sorry for the tangent.

fox now coming out with gold springs to match the gold forks or just a one off?

noodlenosteeze
Fantasy
1637th
7/22/2024 12:54pm
Primoz wrote:

EX 1750 is going to a blast from the past. Google it. 

I have a set of these on my old dirt jump bike. Guy I bought them from was a spesh homer and repainted them and added stickers, slowly working on getting them back to that old silver.

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
7/22/2024 1:00pm

Old silver? EX1750s were white!

nskerb
7/22/2024 1:06pm
Snfoilhat wrote:
All analogy is suspect but 😉A laptop computer communicating with a wireless access point is smart. Communicating with a wireless mouse is a mostly harmless gimmick...

All analogy is suspect but 😉

A laptop computer communicating with a wireless access point is smart. Communicating with a wireless mouse is a mostly harmless gimmick with some legitimate convenience added in some cases. Communicating internally wirelessly, like motherboard to daughter to storage etc, is kind of ridiculous. It’s a job wires are especially well suited to.

I’m willing to take the word of the people who swap their wireless dropper post from bike to bike. That’s the mouse in this analogy.

I think the wireless derailleur fits the third example best.

Yeah when my wireless mouse doesn’t work that’s a good thing because that means I’m physically at work and can’t keep working, and work fuckin blows. When my wireless derailleur dies I’m super bummed because I actually want it to work. 

Jotegr
7/22/2024 1:14pm
I think this qualifies as Innovation. If not, sorry.Interesting Concussion Prevention Tech @ 28:03. I have never heard of this device but it sounds interesting.https://youtu.be/q0daQB20P9Y?si=4tJQdPMGJ373dyc7...

I think this qualifies as Innovation. If not, sorry.

Interesting Concussion Prevention Tech @ 28:03. I have never heard of this device but it sounds interesting.

https://youtu.be/q0daQB20P9Y?si=4tJQdPMGJ373dyc7

More info here.

Q30 Sports Science: Science of Brain Safety

I saw that! I am currently in the middle of reading about this but as someone who is sadly prone to low-speed concussions I am very, very interested in picking one up. At this point I'll try the snake oil even though this one doesn't seem to be that bad.

NicoZesty96
7/22/2024 1:25pm
Rick26 wrote:
Looks like some shops already have all the information on what's coming for these new gen SC bikes.New shock tunnel design, front shock mount sitting in...

Looks like some shops already have all the information on what's coming for these new gen SC bikes.

New shock tunnel design, front shock mount sitting in the frame, integrated head tube badge and wireless only.

wireless only is the second thing after headset routing that will never make me want one of these bikes

7/22/2024 1:39pm
Scontoni wrote:
I have definitely not heard anything about the new Trek Slash+ being released on the 26th of July with the new TQ 580Wh, SRAM Maven's on...

I have definitely not heard anything about the new Trek Slash+ being released on the 26th of July with the new TQ 580Wh, SRAM Maven's on the SRAM spec, weighing 20.9kg / 46lbs in size medium and the 9.9 XO AXS build pricing the same as the non-e Slash 9.9 XX AXS 

Mullet or full 29er convertible like the gen 6 pedal Slash? 

7/22/2024 1:55pm
B Rabbit wrote:
Was secretly hoping tq was going to release a more powerful version of the HPR50 in the same size package for the Slash E. That would...

Was secretly hoping tq was going to release a more powerful version of the HPR50 in the same size package for the Slash E. That would be a perfect bike with 70ish NM. 

My cheap chinese Bafang motor in a cheap carbon frame makes a 42 pound build, and the highest I've seen the reported watt output is about 580 watts. At 70 RPM this is 79nm. The current TQ maxes out at 250 watts (50nm), which is the same as one of my eco modes. Thats unacceptably weak, even for an SL bike.  250 watts paired with a 580 watt/hour battery gives you about two hours of climbing before you hit the low power/eco mode for the final 10-15% of battery. No one will ever use a mode lower than the maximum, as few of us climb for more than two hours in a single ride. Just this morning I got my 410 watt hour battery down to 16% with a 3,800 foot, 20 mile climb, and I'm 195 pounds kitted up with heavy, slow rolling tires. I probably averaged around 270 watts of assistance. 

46 pounds will get you an Orbea or Cannondale full powered ebike with a slightly larger battery. Like I've posted before, underpowered ebikes better weight under 45 pounds or they are pointless, unless they have a meaningful price advantage (they don't). 

Side note, I personally think the best Ebike right now for most people is the latest Orbea Rise Aluminum, $4,000 at JensonUSA right now, 45 pounds with a full power motor. The battery is only in the 540 watt/hour range, but you can get a 260w/h range extender that now puts you ahead of most full power ebikes at 48 pounds. Granted this is a 150mm (or less) travel bike thats not quite as capable as what this eSlash likely is. 

NicoZesty96
7/22/2024 2:22pm
Scontoni wrote:
I have definitely not heard anything about the new Trek Slash+ being released on the 26th of July with the new TQ 580Wh, SRAM Maven's on...

I have definitely not heard anything about the new Trek Slash+ being released on the 26th of July with the new TQ 580Wh, SRAM Maven's on the SRAM spec, weighing 20.9kg / 46lbs in size medium and the 9.9 XO AXS build pricing the same as the non-e Slash 9.9 XX AXS 

Mullet or full 29er convertible like the gen 6 pedal Slash? 

mx only

grinch
Fantasy
246th
7/22/2024 2:46pm
B Rabbit wrote:
Was secretly hoping tq was going to release a more powerful version of the HPR50 in the same size package for the Slash E. That would...

Was secretly hoping tq was going to release a more powerful version of the HPR50 in the same size package for the Slash E. That would be a perfect bike with 70ish NM. 

My cheap chinese Bafang motor in a cheap carbon frame makes a 42 pound build, and the highest I've seen the reported watt output is about...

My cheap chinese Bafang motor in a cheap carbon frame makes a 42 pound build, and the highest I've seen the reported watt output is about 580 watts. At 70 RPM this is 79nm. The current TQ maxes out at 250 watts (50nm), which is the same as one of my eco modes. Thats unacceptably weak, even for an SL bike.  250 watts paired with a 580 watt/hour battery gives you about two hours of climbing before you hit the low power/eco mode for the final 10-15% of battery. No one will ever use a mode lower than the maximum, as few of us climb for more than two hours in a single ride. Just this morning I got my 410 watt hour battery down to 16% with a 3,800 foot, 20 mile climb, and I'm 195 pounds kitted up with heavy, slow rolling tires. I probably averaged around 270 watts of assistance. 

46 pounds will get you an Orbea or Cannondale full powered ebike with a slightly larger battery. Like I've posted before, underpowered ebikes better weight under 45 pounds or they are pointless, unless they have a meaningful price advantage (they don't). 

Side note, I personally think the best Ebike right now for most people is the latest Orbea Rise Aluminum, $4,000 at JensonUSA right now, 45 pounds with a full power motor. The battery is only in the 540 watt/hour range, but you can get a 260w/h range extender that now puts you ahead of most full power ebikes at 48 pounds. Granted this is a 150mm (or less) travel bike thats not quite as capable as what this eSlash likely is. 

The cannondale moterra sl  and the giant Etrance+ should fit in that slot and it covers the mullet side of things where the rise is full 29r

7/22/2024 3:05pm
Rick26 wrote:
Looks like some shops already have all the information on what's coming for these new gen SC bikes.New shock tunnel design, front shock mount sitting in...

Looks like some shops already have all the information on what's coming for these new gen SC bikes.

New shock tunnel design, front shock mount sitting in the frame, integrated head tube badge and wireless only.

krabo83 wrote:
if really wireles only they will lose a lot customers… most people i know only buy frames and are re-use their existing highend parts on a...

if really wireles only they will lose a lot customers… most people i know only buy frames and are re-use their existing highend parts on a new bike.

Jotegr wrote:
Drop in the bucket. Trek commissioned did a study a number of years ago and it found for high end (4000 USD and above) mountain bikes...

Drop in the bucket. Trek commissioned did a study a number of years ago and it found for high end (4000 USD and above) mountain bikes, SC blew everybody out of the water in terms of sales - including Trek and Specialized. That study kind of made its way around the inside of the industry and speculatively is why a number of companies shifted to copy SC in a number of ways. 

Anyway, the point is SC, being the king of high end MTB sales,  sells so many bikes to absolute schmuck riders who'd struggle ride out of wet paper bag (and likely don't care about tech) that any enthusiast focused frame-only sales  lost from going wireless only do not matter at all to PON holdings. 

RE: We hoped bikes would get cheaper but brands don't care

I'm not so sure. I think it's the opposite: they want to make bikes more expensive because that target demographic is who can afford to buy bikes right now.  I would further speculate that companies like Specialized, Trek, and Santa Cruz have done some sort of analysis which indicates that while it makes sense to offer some reasonably priced options in the post-covid, high cost of living market glut, it makes more sense to push higher end and more expensive because the people who are going to keep buying new bikes in the current market are those who are either immune or unaffected or actively benefitting from the current trends. These guys are probably baller level customers. Lots of people who'd be getting those price point bikes might have to hold off for now, but the guy who can afford a $12,000 bike with wireless everything and will never service it himself is doing great. 

This has been true for decades. 

The top of the market, most expensive, most desirable goods are shockingly stable no matter what the economy as a whole does. 

People buying $12,000 and up bikes basically fall into 2 groups. 

1. Dedicated hardcore riders who aren't paying full retail, and are throwing the $12,000 bike into a $1,000 car. 

2. People with enough free cash that a $12,000 purchase doesn't make a difference to them. The guys who put their $15,000 road bike on top of their Porsche 911. 

7/22/2024 3:08pm

sorry for off-topic, but I want to discuss forks, specifically if my 170mm travel Lyrik is too long and if I'd benefit from a burlier fork for that travel bracket. Anyone know what forum would be best (that isn't dead)?

noodlenosteeze
Fantasy
1637th
7/22/2024 3:10pm
sorry for off-topic, but I want to discuss forks, specifically if my 170mm travel Lyrik is too long and if I'd benefit from a burlier fork...

sorry for off-topic, but I want to discuss forks, specifically if my 170mm travel Lyrik is too long and if I'd benefit from a burlier fork for that travel bracket. Anyone know what forum would be best (that isn't dead)?

If you start a new one, let me know. I want similar input (on a 170mm Bomber Z1 currently)

WarrenB
7/22/2024 3:39pm
My cheap chinese Bafang motor in a cheap carbon frame makes a 42 pound build, and the highest I've seen the reported watt output is about...

Can we get a bike check on this thing?

TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
331st
7/22/2024 4:50pm
sorry for off-topic, but I want to discuss forks, specifically if my 170mm travel Lyrik is too long and if I'd benefit from a burlier fork...

This feels like a question for this older but still relevant thread: https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Will-lighter-riders-benefit-f…

7/22/2024 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2024 6:32pm
I think this qualifies as Innovation. If not, sorry.Interesting Concussion Prevention Tech @ 28:03. I have never heard of this device but it sounds interesting.https://youtu.be/q0daQB20P9Y?si=4tJQdPMGJ373dyc7...

I think this qualifies as Innovation. If not, sorry.

Interesting Concussion Prevention Tech @ 28:03. I have never heard of this device but it sounds interesting.

https://youtu.be/q0daQB20P9Y?si=4tJQdPMGJ373dyc7

More info here.

Q30 Sports Science: Science of Brain Safety

Guessing you're a transplant to the South? Wink  These things are everywhere in college and pro ball.  Not sure they are that applicable to most of our falls, but can't imagine they hurt anything.  Regardless, good thing to share as I bet most people on here haven't seen them.  

If we're going to start adopting things from (american) football, I humbly request, on behalf of all southeastern US riders, that we give some consideration to sweatbands being cool. It's really hot and humid down here, and getting worse.

sweatbands

Also, if the set up Loic has goes to production, we should consider wearing these to remember what all the buttons do.

play sheet

7/22/2024 5:27pm
Rick26 wrote:

krabo83 wrote:
if really wireles only they will lose a lot customers… most people i know only buy frames and are re-use their existing highend parts on a...

if really wireles only they will lose a lot customers… most people i know only buy frames and are re-use their existing highend parts on a new bike.

I have no idea if they are guessing right on the wireless thing or not.  I've owned a lot of SC and the build quality, common sense (until recent times), and support for home mechanics has been awesome.  If you buy frame only and keep it for a long time, value is there.  But I really hope they're f'ing up along the Specialized and bunch of the other big players.

Large companies come and go, even though it may seem the opposite.  Often they get overconfident and out of touch, and as a result make poor strategic decisions.  I don't wish anyone at those companies harm, but I hope these sorts of decisions shrinks their market share and opens the door for companies smaller brands along the lines of RAAW to grow and capture more market share.  

My therapist tells me I need to focus more on the positives, and I'm trying . . . 

7/22/2024 5:55pm
Rick26 wrote:

krabo83 wrote:

I have no idea if they are guessing right on the wireless thing or not.  I've owned a lot of SC and the build quality, common...

I have no idea if they are guessing right on the wireless thing or not.  I've owned a lot of SC and the build quality, common sense (until recent times), and support for home mechanics has been awesome.  If you buy frame only and keep it for a long time, value is there.  But I really hope they're f'ing up along the Specialized and bunch of the other big players.

Large companies come and go, even though it may seem the opposite.  Often they get overconfident and out of touch, and as a result make poor strategic decisions.  I don't wish anyone at those companies harm, but I hope these sorts of decisions shrinks their market share and opens the door for companies smaller brands along the lines of RAAW to grow and capture more market share.  

My therapist tells me I need to focus more on the positives, and I'm trying . . . 

Santa Cruz used to be pretty on the money when it came to following certain standards, they wouldn't jump on things that they didn't see as being here to stay. They were one of the first I remember to not have any provision for a front derailleur.....will this be the same? That was the "old" Santa Cruz though, and I'm not 100% convinced the current iteration is as savvy as in the Roskopp/Graney days. 

bermed
7/22/2024 6:15pm
krabo83 wrote:

I have no idea if they are guessing right on the wireless thing or not.  I've owned a lot of SC and the build quality, common...

Santa Cruz used to be pretty on the money when it came to following certain standards, they wouldn't jump on things that they didn't see as...

Santa Cruz used to be pretty on the money when it came to following certain standards, they wouldn't jump on things that they didn't see as being here to stay. They were one of the first I remember to not have any provision for a front derailleur.....will this be the same? That was the "old" Santa Cruz though, and I'm not 100% convinced the current iteration is as savvy as in the Roskopp/Graney days. 

I think it has less to do with savviness and more with getting inside info from SRAM and Shimano on what they have coming down the pipeline in the next 5-10 years. Component manufacturers including drivetrain and suspension obviously go to all the major bike companies and give them a roadmap that shows where they are heading and what's being developed.

7/22/2024 7:01pm

Santa Cruz used to be pretty on the money when it came to following certain standards, they wouldn't jump on things that they didn't see as...

bermed wrote:
I think it has less to do with savviness and more with getting inside info from SRAM and Shimano on what they have coming down the...

I think it has less to do with savviness and more with getting inside info from SRAM and Shimano on what they have coming down the pipeline in the next 5-10 years. Component manufacturers including drivetrain and suspension obviously go to all the major bike companies and give them a roadmap that shows where they are heading and what's being developed.

Oh yeah the bike companies absolutely know whats coming down the line.....but not all of it will be any good, so the smarter companies will only commit to the things which they know will become accepted as the "norm" in a few years. The counter to SC was Turner bikes who insisted the long travel RFX had front derailleur mount in 2016 because shimano was flogging a dead horse with their new front mech designs. See how well both of those turned out...Di2 and Fox live valve cabling were more things brands like Pivot jumped on board with early but no-one else adopted. 

Snakes
7/23/2024 6:09am

According to a few IG posts, the new Maxxis Highroller III is officially out. Also, Pinkbike has published an article.

FullSend
Fantasy
1111th
7/23/2024 6:47am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2024 6:58am

bermed wrote:
I think it has less to do with savviness and more with getting inside info from SRAM and Shimano on what they have coming down the...

Oh yeah the bike companies absolutely know whats coming down the line.....but not all of it will be any good, so the smarter companies will only...

Oh yeah the bike companies absolutely know whats coming down the line.....but not all of it will be any good, so the smarter companies will only commit to the things which they know will become accepted as the "norm" in a few years. The counter to SC was Turner bikes who insisted the long travel RFX had front derailleur mount in 2016 because shimano was flogging a dead horse with their new front mech designs. See how well both of those turned out...Di2 and Fox live valve cabling were more things brands like Pivot jumped on board with early but no-one else adopted. 

Speaking of Pivot: Another example of that would be 2017 Switchblade, which had SuperBoost hub spacing, 425 mm chainstays and a front derailleur mount. Because Chris Cocalis, in 2017, still believed that short chainstays, plus-size tires and front derailleurs were the future.

Bottom line: 

The big brands usually know about new developments well in advance. But sometimes even these big brands are spectacularly wrong with their predictions. It might be the same with wireless shifting. In the comment sections all around the internet there seems to be a STRONG anti-wireless sentiment.

FullSend
Fantasy
1111th
7/23/2024 6:56am
FreeCO wrote:
I’ve read somewhere that Hightower and Bronson update will come before end of summer. The shock tunnel and bb area will be “pretty” different and something...

I’ve read somewhere that Hightower and Bronson update will come before end of summer. The shock tunnel and bb area will be “pretty” different and something more. 

Rick26 wrote:

Unfortunately, I can confirm this. 

It very much looks like the next generation of Santa Cruz bikes will be wireless-only. At the very least all complete bikes will come with wireless drivetrains. And prepare yourselfs for a hefty price increase...

watchcwgo
7/23/2024 8:04am

Most of the “core” mtb brands who have new carbon frames due for release this year or next will be wireless only. It’s not going away. 

ZAKBROWN!
Fantasy
229th
7/23/2024 9:04am
Guessing you're a transplant to the South? ;)  These things are everywhere in college and pro ball.  Not sure they are that applicable to most of...

Guessing you're a transplant to the South? Wink  These things are everywhere in college and pro ball.  Not sure they are that applicable to most of our falls, but can't imagine they hurt anything.  Regardless, good thing to share as I bet most people on here haven't seen them.  

If we're going to start adopting things from (american) football, I humbly request, on behalf of all southeastern US riders, that we give some consideration to sweatbands being cool. It's really hot and humid down here, and getting worse.

sweatbands

Also, if the set up Loic has goes to production, we should consider wearing these to remember what all the buttons do.

play sheet

Ha!  I seem to remember getting a Trestle/Colorado Freeride Festival branded sweatband in my race bag years ago - might have to dig it up!

Poleczechy
Fantasy
337th
7/23/2024 9:16am
Guessing you're a transplant to the South? ;)  These things are everywhere in college and pro ball.  Not sure they are that applicable to most of...

sweatbands

play sheet

ZAKBROWN! wrote:

Ha!  I seem to remember getting a Trestle/Colorado Freeride Festival branded sweatband in my race bag years ago - might have to dig it up!

RIP Colorado Freeride Festival. You were too good for this world. 

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest