MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
7/16/2024 12:32pm
What coudl this be?

What coudl this be?

image-20240716122816-1

Either alloy version of the new spectral or new torque... The torque while is good at freeride/big jumps, really needs a Park version thats less progressive IMO

7/16/2024 12:33pm
sspomer wrote:

continue chainstay length discussions HERE as to not drown the tech rumors out

https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/The-Internet-Was-Wrong-Short-…

started in 2016, @jeff.brines ' "short chainstays suck" thread can live on.

Onawalk wrote:
Thanks Sspomer, Has anyone noticed a real change recently from open mindedly discussing/presenting rumours and innovations, to endless posts about "opinions as facts" on the topics...

Thanks Sspomer,

Has anyone noticed a real change recently from open mindedly discussing/presenting rumours and innovations, to endless posts about "opinions as facts" on the topics?

Maybe its just me, but I felt like this thread used to be more open to ideas, and just seeing cool things, and I'd like a return to that.  These new things arent for everyone, and not every product is meant to be the perfect fit for everyone, which is friggin great, we should want diversity in the marketplace, shouldnt we?

I feel like we have strayed from that recently.....

The popularity of social media and the need for new content (see also the daily news cycle) in the past 10 years or so has blurred the...

The popularity of social media and the need for new content (see also the daily news cycle) in the past 10 years or so has blurred the line for many between opinion and fact and has created comfy echo chambers for us lazy animals. Or somethign like that. 

Back to Ibis... it's commendable they tried to limit investment by reusing materials through the range, clearly the financial sting from the past few years is still there. But like what often happens, that middle ground is OK at everything and not great at any one thing. 

As a consumer I think it's so rad to have two bikes in one. One of my favorite bikes was my second gen Bronson that I swapped for a 5010 frame to race slalom. But the ability to use a 5mm longer stroke shock/fork air spring to turn it back into a Bronson made it the best of both worlds. With two different clevis and shock sizes I feel like the Ripmo/Ripley would be even better.

7/16/2024 12:35pm
As a consumer I think it's so rad to have two bikes in one. One of my favorite bikes was my second gen Bronson that I...

As a consumer I think it's so rad to have two bikes in one. One of my favorite bikes was my second gen Bronson that I swapped for a 5010 frame to race slalom. But the ability to use a 5mm longer stroke shock/fork air spring to turn it back into a Bronson made it the best of both worlds. With two different clevis and shock sizes I feel like the Ripmo/Ripley would be even better.

I agree & while looking at geo charts I think me at 6ft could ride a large ripmo with a 170 fork and then happily adapt it to shorter travel being the ripley. 

Poleczechy
Fantasy
337th
7/16/2024 1:16pm
Onawalk wrote:
Thanks Sspomer, Has anyone noticed a real change recently from open mindedly discussing/presenting rumours and innovations, to endless posts about "opinions as facts" on the topics...

Thanks Sspomer,

Has anyone noticed a real change recently from open mindedly discussing/presenting rumours and innovations, to endless posts about "opinions as facts" on the topics?

Maybe its just me, but I felt like this thread used to be more open to ideas, and just seeing cool things, and I'd like a return to that.  These new things arent for everyone, and not every product is meant to be the perfect fit for everyone, which is friggin great, we should want diversity in the marketplace, shouldnt we?

The popularity of social media and the need for new content (see also the daily news cycle) in the past 10 years or so has blurred the...

The popularity of social media and the need for new content (see also the daily news cycle) in the past 10 years or so has blurred the line for many between opinion and fact and has created comfy echo chambers for us lazy animals. Or somethign like that. 

Back to Ibis... it's commendable they tried to limit investment by reusing materials through the range, clearly the financial sting from the past few years is still there. But like what often happens, that middle ground is OK at everything and not great at any one thing. 

As a consumer I think it's so rad to have two bikes in one. One of my favorite bikes was my second gen Bronson that I...

The new Norco Sight is at the top of the list for me, it's 150mm rear takes a 205x60 shock stock, but it can take a 205x65 to bump it to 160mm. I currently have a bike running a 205x65 coil so I'm eying the alloy frameset since you get a Vivid Ultimate air and both shock mounts to run it mullet or full 29er.  

Mwood
Fantasy
2867th
7/16/2024 1:30pm
Onawalk wrote:

Thanks Sspomer,

Why is it that the Gen 2 Bronson/5010 were so damn good for so many people, but we are so far away from that now? I had the bronson and felt like it was perfect in the middle, run light tires for XC/all mountain and then throw heavys on for DH laps. Miss that bike a bit too much.

7/16/2024 2:31pm
Physics is an absolute.  We “adapted” to horrible bike geo over the years. The progressive geo trend has been a process to make bikes work better...

Physics is an absolute.  We “adapted” to horrible bike geo over the years. The progressive geo trend has been a process to make bikes work better. Saying “bikes don’t need to work better, the rider just needs to adapt” is 2012 cave man logic. We’re still working on finding a good balance between hta, reach, stack, bb height, and cs length. It’s hard. But saying it doesn’t matter, it’s just a lie. If ibis put 2012 geo on the new ripley you wouldn’t say “hey man hard to make a bad bike we will all just adapt” you would say hmm this geo looks a bit outdated, and 69* hta is actually kinda whack. So no, geo can be wrong and bad, and that’s ok, because we’re all working towards the goal of better handling bikes. It’s just a bummer for ibis because they didn’t get the memo about CS length. But we’re going to see a lot of brands getting it wrong (speci, etc.) it’s just harder for ibis because they made their front ends even longer!!!

I notice you mention specialized have also missed the boat on longer CS and i can only assume you meant on the new stumpy. This was also my initial impression but i was chatting to my local dealer about the new bike losing the chain stay adjustment that the stevo had and he informed me that bb high/low setting flip chip would still change chainstay length approx 7mm.
Can anyone actually confirm this is true? It makes sense but it doesn’t seem to be advertised anywhere nor have I found a chart for it.

7/16/2024 2:46pm
Physics is an absolute.  We “adapted” to horrible bike geo over the years. The progressive geo trend has been a process to make bikes work better...

Physics is an absolute.  We “adapted” to horrible bike geo over the years. The progressive geo trend has been a process to make bikes work better. Saying “bikes don’t need to work better, the rider just needs to adapt” is 2012 cave man logic. We’re still working on finding a good balance between hta, reach, stack, bb height, and cs length. It’s hard. But saying it doesn’t matter, it’s just a lie. If ibis put 2012 geo on the new ripley you wouldn’t say “hey man hard to make a bad bike we will all just adapt” you would say hmm this geo looks a bit outdated, and 69* hta is actually kinda whack. So no, geo can be wrong and bad, and that’s ok, because we’re all working towards the goal of better handling bikes. It’s just a bummer for ibis because they didn’t get the memo about CS length. But we’re going to see a lot of brands getting it wrong (speci, etc.) it’s just harder for ibis because they made their front ends even longer!!!

I notice you mention specialized have also missed the boat on longer CS and i can only assume you meant on the new stumpy. This was...

I notice you mention specialized have also missed the boat on longer CS and i can only assume you meant on the new stumpy. This was also my initial impression but i was chatting to my local dealer about the new bike losing the chain stay adjustment that the stevo had and he informed me that bb high/low setting flip chip would still change chainstay length approx 7mm.
Can anyone actually confirm this is true? It makes sense but it doesn’t seem to be advertised anywhere nor have I found a chart for it.

Pulled from the manual:

image-20240716144625-1

dolface
Fantasy
594th
7/16/2024 2:54pm

Chainstay Rants and Opinions Forum?

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
7/16/2024 2:58pm

I notice you mention specialized have also missed the boat on longer CS and i can only assume you meant on the new stumpy. This was...

Pulled from the manual:

Pulled from the manual:

image-20240716144625-1

dolface
Fantasy
594th
7/16/2024 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2024 6:19pm

Video of the Bike Yoke wireless dropper

Edit: added pic, looks like charging port on collar?

7/16/2024 8:32pm

Pulled from the manual:

Pulled from the manual:

image-20240716144625-1

chriskief wrote:

Thank you, I shall consider it Confirmed ! 

boozed
7/17/2024 12:23am
Some folks on MTBR are talking about the Ibis Ripmo V3 dropping on 7/16. Anyone know if this is true? I hope its able to be...

Some folks on MTBR are talking about the Ibis Ripmo V3 dropping on 7/16. Anyone know if this is true? I hope its able to be setup as a solid enduro basher and not made into something too light. Who knows! 

Sjames88 wrote:
Apparently Ripmo and Ripley will be released together. Ripley is said to have a bump in travel. Not sure which direction Ripmo is going to go...

Apparently Ripmo and Ripley will be released together.
Ripley is said to have a bump in travel. Not sure which direction Ripmo is going to go. Will be awesome to see how it compares to Stumpjumper 15 and hoping for aesthetics like the HD6

boozed wrote:

Any chance they share a front triangle?

Called it.

Seems obvious now doesn't it?

Dogboy
7/17/2024 4:21am
boozed wrote:

Called it.

Seems obvious now doesn't it?

Yep, you did. I'm a little surprised and it probably ends up making the Ripley a little heavier than it otherwise would be (I'm still getting one), but it makes a ton of sense as well.

gibbon
7/17/2024 5:31am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2024 5:32am
Dogboy wrote:
Yep, you did. I'm a little surprised and it probably ends up making the Ripley a little heavier than it otherwise would be (I'm still getting...

Yep, you did. I'm a little surprised and it probably ends up making the Ripley a little heavier than it otherwise would be (I'm still getting one), but it makes a ton of sense as well.

It makes a ton of sense from a manufacturers point of view. From a consumer standpoint less so. The compromises of using a shared frame may be small but they are there. If you were designing with a clean sheet I'm not sure you'd have a longer reach and steeper SA on the shorter travel version.
The whole we didn't see the point of proportional rear centres but we went to all the trouble of changing it anyway by a tiny amount is odd.
But we did vary the BB height between low-ish(36mm) and incredibly low(48mm!!-tbh I don't of any similar bike with that much drop). That is pretty huge and will have a big effect on handling.And the reason is........consistant roll over angle? Really?
Just some odd things.
Nice looking though.

7/17/2024 6:27am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2024 6:28am
Dogboy wrote:
Yep, you did. I'm a little surprised and it probably ends up making the Ripley a little heavier than it otherwise would be (I'm still getting...

gibbon wrote:
It makes a ton of sense from a manufacturers point of view. From a consumer standpoint less so. The compromises of using a shared frame may...

It makes a ton of sense from a manufacturers point of view. From a consumer standpoint less so. The compromises of using a shared frame may be small but they are there. If you were designing with a clean sheet I'm not sure you'd have a longer reach and steeper SA on the shorter travel version.
The whole we didn't see the point of proportional rear centres but we went to all the trouble of changing it anyway by a tiny amount is odd.
But we did vary the BB height between low-ish(36mm) and incredibly low(48mm!!-tbh I don't of any similar bike with that much drop). That is pretty huge and will have a big effect on handling.And the reason is........consistant roll over angle? Really?
Just some odd things.
Nice looking though.

I'm anti size specific chainstays as I see it as increasing cost for the vast majority of riders (on M and L) for the freakishly short and freakishly tall people out there. I prefer how YT does it where there's one size, say 440mm for S, M, L and then 450mm for XL and XXL. Achieves a balanced bike feel and balanced manufacturing cost/cost-benefit to the average consumer who rides a M or a L.

it It's annoying to see "they share the same front triangle" bandied about and prices still increase this much. I had a Ripmo V1 frame for $3k then an AF for $1.8K and the V3 frames are now $3.7K. That's 23% and my pay surely didn't go up 23% in the past few years. Not to use YT again, but I'm pretty sure they share a front triangle between the Decoy MX and Decoy 29 but DON'T shove that fact in your face and instead let their much lower prices do the talking. Cheapest Decoy MX was $5K when it came out in 2018 and it remains $5K to this day (on sale for $4K rn but MSRP is still $5K)

7/17/2024 6:44am
Pulled from the manual:

Pulled from the manual:

image-20240716144625-1

chriskief wrote:

Thank you, I shall consider it Confirmed ! 

I don’t want to derail and have looked online… but wonder if their stated CS length is the longer position and you can swap to a shorter setting. Bummer if so, bc it woulda been awesome if there was a neutral setting (listed as stock length on geo chart). 

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
7/17/2024 6:53am

Can we move on from whether we like chainstays or not now please

Look here’s Kris Kyle on the new Status

bnsleit
7/17/2024 7:55am
TimBud wrote:
Can we move on from whether we like chainstays or not now please   Look here’s Kris Kyle on the new Status    

Rough specs from a site that might've put them up too soon:

The Specialized Status 170 '24 is a mullet-wheeled, long-travel mountain bike that delivers impressive performance without breaking the bank. Whether you’re charging down technical descents or hitting the bike park, this gravity sled has you covered. Let’s dive into the details:

Frame and Build Kit:

The frame is constructed from Specialized’s M5 alloy tubing, ensuring durability and strength.

Neat internal cable routing keeps things tidy, and the chain stays feature chain slap protection.

The satin grey paint and minimal graphics give it an understated look.

Available in only one build spec, the Status prioritizes function over flashy aesthetics.

The suspension platform utilizes Specialized’s proven 4-bar Horst link with a yoke driving the shock.

flip chip at the yoke end allows you to adjust the head angle (between 63.2° and 63.7°) and BB drop (-8.5mm to -17.5mm).

Frame sizes range from S1 to S5, with reach spanning 417mm to 512mm.

Geometry is long, slack, and low, with ultra-short 426mm chain stays.

Componentry:

Fox Float 36 Rhythm GRIP 160mm fork handles front suspension.

The rear suspension features a DPX2 Performance shock.

SRAM NX Eagle 12-speed drivetrain ensures smooth shifting.

SRAM Code R brakes provide reliable stopping power.

The X-Fusion Manic dropper seatpost offers 170mm of travel.

The rest of the build consists of Specialized’s own brand components.

Note: The Butcher Grid tires could use improvement—thin sidewalls and a hard compound make them less ideal for wet conditions.

Value Proposition:

The Status 170 '24 delivers a lot of bang for your buck, especially when compared to other big-brand bikes.

With its capable suspension, solid component spec, and aggressive geometry, it’s a hard-charging enduro/park bike.

For those who want a gravity-focused ride that won’t empty their wallets, the Specialized Status 170 '24 is a compelling option. Get ready to shred!

7/17/2024 8:03am
TimBud wrote:
Can we move on from whether we like chainstays or not now please   Look here’s Kris Kyle on the new Status    

bnsleit wrote:
Rough specs from a site that might've put them up too soon:   The Specialized Status 170 '24 is a mullet-wheeled, long-travel mountain bike that delivers...

The Specialized Status 170 '24 is a mullet-wheeled, long-travel mountain bike that delivers impressive performance without breaking the bank. Whether you’re charging down technical descents or hitting the bike park, this gravity sled has you covered. Let’s dive into the details:

Frame and Build Kit:

The frame is constructed from Specialized’s M5 alloy tubing, ensuring durability and strength.

Neat internal cable routing keeps things tidy, and the chain stays feature chain slap protection.

Available in only one build spec, the Status prioritizes function over flashy aesthetics.

The suspension platform utilizes Specialized’s proven 4-bar Horst link with a yoke driving the shock.

flip chip at the yoke end allows you to adjust the head angle (between 63.2° and 63.7°) and BB drop (-8.5mm to -17.5mm).

Componentry:

Note: The Butcher Grid tires could use improvement—thin sidewalls and a hard compound make them less ideal for wet conditions.

Value Proposition:

The Status 170 '24 delivers a lot of bang for your buck, especially when compared to other big-brand bikes.

With its capable suspension, solid component spec, and aggressive geometry, it’s a hard-charging enduro/park bike.

For those who want a gravity-focused ride that won’t empty their wallets, the Specialized Status 170 '24 is a compelling option. Get ready to shred!

That sounds like the old one tbh…

don’t think they’ll spec it with a dpx2 unless they dug deep in the Fox discount bin, and geo sounds exactly the same 

sprungmass
7/17/2024 8:13am

The legendary Maxxis Ikon finally refreshed and quietly released in 2.4WT. Appears to be slightly lighter than 2.35. Must be a front only because I have never seen a max psi rating this low of 25PSI.

ARonBurgundy
Fantasy
123rd
7/17/2024 8:30am
sprungmass wrote:
The legendary Maxxis Ikon finally refreshed and quietly released in 2.4WT. Appears to be slightly lighter than 2.35. Must be a front only because I have...

The legendary Maxxis Ikon finally refreshed and quietly released in 2.4WT. Appears to be slightly lighter than 2.35. Must be a front only because I have never seen a max psi rating this low of 25PSI.

Believe that's an error in the specs. For the XC stuff, the tire will measure 2.40 @ 25 PSI on a 30mm internal rim. 

Also, you would be surprised how many people think the MAX pressure rating means RECOMMENDED pressure. 

7/17/2024 9:09am
TimBud wrote:

bnsleit wrote:
Rough specs from a site that might've put them up too soon:   The Specialized Status 170 '24 is a mullet-wheeled, long-travel mountain bike that delivers...

Frame and Build Kit:

Componentry:

Value Proposition:

I'm just glad for the return of 24" tires! Long Live the Bighit!

(joke)

7/17/2024 9:42am
TimBud wrote:

bnsleit wrote:

Frame and Build Kit:

Componentry:

Value Proposition:

I'm just glad for the return of 24" tires! Long Live the Bighit!

(joke)

Think of how short the chainstay could be with a 24" wheel! It will handle great/terrible!

noodlenosteeze
Fantasy
1637th
7/17/2024 11:05am
TimBud wrote:

bnsleit wrote:

Frame and Build Kit:

Componentry:

Value Proposition:

If they go above $3000 for that spec it'll be a heinous cash grab. 

gibbon
7/17/2024 11:27am
TimBud wrote:

I'm relieved it's suitable for riding dams.....

FullSend
Fantasy
1111th
7/17/2024 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2024 12:05pm
TimBud wrote:

bnsleit wrote:

Frame and Build Kit:

Componentry:

Value Proposition:

No offense, but I've got the spec sheet and geometry table for the Status 170 in front of me right now and most of what they wrote is incorrect. 

In fact it looks like the text is actually based on the description for the previous model. It was probably only meant as a placeholder text on their website.

bnsleit
7/17/2024 12:08pm
TimBud wrote:

bnsleit wrote:

Frame and Build Kit:

Componentry:

Value Proposition:

FullSend wrote:
No offense, but I've got the spec sheet and geometry table for the Status 170 in front of me right now and most of what they...

No offense, but I've got the spec sheet and geometry table for the Status 170 in front of me right now and most of what they wrote is incorrect. 

In fact it looks like the text is actually based on the description for the previous model. It was probably only meant as a placeholder text on their website.

that's a huge relief! now show us 👀

7/17/2024 12:12pm
I'm anti size specific chainstays as I see it as increasing cost for the vast majority of riders (on M and L) for the freakishly short...

I'm anti size specific chainstays as I see it as increasing cost for the vast majority of riders (on M and L) for the freakishly short and freakishly tall people out there. I prefer how YT does it where there's one size, say 440mm for S, M, L and then 450mm for XL and XXL. Achieves a balanced bike feel and balanced manufacturing cost/cost-benefit to the average consumer who rides a M or a L.

it It's annoying to see "they share the same front triangle" bandied about and prices still increase this much. I had a Ripmo V1 frame for $3k then an AF for $1.8K and the V3 frames are now $3.7K. That's 23% and my pay surely didn't go up 23% in the past few years. Not to use YT again, but I'm pretty sure they share a front triangle between the Decoy MX and Decoy 29 but DON'T shove that fact in your face and instead let their much lower prices do the talking. Cheapest Decoy MX was $5K when it came out in 2018 and it remains $5K to this day (on sale for $4K rn but MSRP is still $5K)

I promise this is tech related! 

The cost savings from constant chainstay lengths across sizes is because brands can reuse the rear triangle(s). HOWEVER,  Forbidden (I believe  the first to do this) accomplishes both by simply moving the main pivot location in the front triangle back for larger sizes. Each size needs a different front triangle anyways, so this is a slick solution. 

Another solution is adjustable dropouts or pivots (like S does). This is probably a tad more expensive than above from the extra complication of a flip chip or whatever, and it will alter the suspension kinematics, primarily by increasing rear travel & raising the leverage ratio in the "long" position. 

Related to the new Ibis sharing triangles across not just sizes but models, the downside is compliance tuning. Its easy to make the front triangle stiffer for larger sizes, but then your shared rear triangle is probably going to be too stiff in the smaller sizes and too complaint in the larger sizes. This is worse for sharing the main triangle across models. It has to be overbuild for the shorter travel bike, and that bike will be way stiff and heavier than it needs to be. Since geometry evolution has pretty much settled down, and given what WC riders are experimenting with now at Commencal & Hart on his GT, I think tuned compliance is the next innovation in mountain bikes (Whats old is new again; I'm aware that Cedric Gracia was experimenting with detuned spokes, cut fork crowns, etc a dozen years ago)

FullSend
Fantasy
1111th
7/17/2024 12:27pm
bnsleit wrote:

Frame and Build Kit:

Componentry:

Value Proposition:

FullSend wrote:
No offense, but I've got the spec sheet and geometry table for the Status 170 in front of me right now and most of what they...

bnsleit wrote:

that's a huge relief! now show us 👀

Sorry, I can't.

But I will say this: If you know Specialized and the current-gen Status 160, the upcoming new Status 170 is pretty much exactly what you'd expect it to be.

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest