MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
3/31/2024 10:24pm

An update to the levo comming soon? Saw a guy ripping up Galbraith today with an all raw aluminum levo look alike.

jonkranked
Fantasy
817th
4/1/2024 5:59am
eddkilla wrote:
So incredibly true. I’m all for the excitement of  tinkering and bracketing to find out what works best for me but there is definitely a point...

So incredibly true. I’m all for the excitement of  tinkering and bracketing to find out what works best for me but there is definitely a point where focusing on being a better rider will make you way faster than focusing on the mm’s of a frame or what new incremental changes are coming to X part. 

What sucks is when the opinions of people who have never ridden the thing they have an opinion on drive trends. Just look at the Pinkbike comments or even this forum to find self proclaimed engineers who apparently know what’s best vs the company that invested thousands of R&D to make the final product that you’re immediately sh*tting on the day it’s released. Click on their profile of these “experts” and you’ll find that they’re most often 35-50 yr old dads who think that the bike is holding them back.  

Puzzling is cool but people need to get outside more. 

iRider wrote:
Just entertain the thought that maybe, just maybe, the bike is really holding the 35-50 y/o dads back, but in a different way than you might...

Just entertain the thought that maybe, just maybe, the bike is really holding the 35-50 y/o dads back, but in a different way than you might think. Most bikes are designed and developed for and with 25 +/- y/o, fit, incredibly skilled pro riders. That is not me and most others on here are not on that level as well. So that is why trying to emulate a setup that pro riders use and the bike industry sells as the cool new stuff to have might in reality be holding back the average rider. I am not saying this is always the case, there are good examples of improvements and products that the average Joe can benefit from. As you wrote, trying out what works best for you is the way to go. However, that also means that sometimes you can already see from the prodcut announcement that this product most likely will not be beneficial for the average rider, or, in the worst case, even be detrimental for their riding experience. So why not voice this opinion in the comments on forums that are meant to exchange opinions about mountain bike-related topics?

dolface wrote:
Road cycling has started to figure this out; most people won't be comfortable on a the bike a world tour rider rides so they've started offering...

Road cycling has started to figure this out; most people won't be comfortable on a the bike a world tour rider rides so they've started offering bikes for normal (i.e. not world tour) riders.

i remember back i think in 09 or 10 when rach and gee both won worlds, and Fox released a limited edition 40 that had the same tune they raced on.  limited edition of like 200.  sold out super quick, but a bunch of them quickly hit the resale market because they were "too stiff".  well of course its too stiff, the average rider doesn't need the same tune that a WC racer needs. 

dolface
Fantasy
1907th
4/1/2024 6:55am

I know it's a joke but it's also legit pretty cool:

jonkranked
Fantasy
817th
4/1/2024 6:59am
dolface wrote:

transparent star trek aluminum would likely make internal routing easier to see. 

but that's good commitment to an A1 gag.  actually kind of cool to see. next year he should 3d print a transparent fork, that would be cool

4/1/2024 7:13am
dolface wrote:

jonkranked wrote:
transparent star trek aluminum would likely make internal routing easier to see.  but that's good commitment to an A1 gag.  actually kind of cool to see...

transparent star trek aluminum would likely make internal routing easier to see. 

but that's good commitment to an A1 gag.  actually kind of cool to see. next year he should 3d print a transparent fork, that would be cool

Back in the day, I believe Manitou had a clear stanchion display fork to show the TPC damper function..

jofish
Fantasy
1932nd
4/1/2024 8:00am

I’m sure fox have done plenty of transparent bits over the years. I am curious how they produce these? Is there some way for them to use the carbon tooling or do they really do soft injection moulding tooling just for these press camps?

jonkranked
Fantasy
817th
4/1/2024 8:34am

Back in the day, I believe Manitou had a clear stanchion display fork to show the TPC damper function..

i swear i've seen it done on hubs too.  more just thinking it'd be really cool to see more of the bike done that way.

jonkranked
Fantasy
817th
4/1/2024 8:36am
jofish wrote:
I’m sure fox have done plenty of transparent bits over the years. I am curious how they produce these? Is there some way for them to...

I’m sure fox have done plenty of transparent bits over the years. I am curious how they produce these? Is there some way for them to use the carbon tooling or do they really do soft injection moulding tooling just for these press camps?

i doubt they'd risk messing with production tooling to make something that's a one off for a trade show display. given only a handful are made, they're probably just hand samples, nowadays probably 3d printed. 

jofish
Fantasy
1932nd
4/1/2024 9:59am

I’m pretty confident they’re not 3D printed. There are some amazing SLA machines but nothing I’ve seen that would give you that kind of optical clarity and surface finish. It’s possible they could be machined in 2 halves but that would require a hell of a lot of hand finishing which isn't easy on those internal surfaces. They really look like they’ve been tooled up and injection moulded. 

4/1/2024 10:02am

You could probaby engineer windows into parts for the nerds that like to take things apart. Fox and Manitou have both done clear versions of forks but labeled them "not rideable". Was more something they could use to show off how the dampers and internals worked. Isn't one of them in the Marin bike museum?

jonkranked
Fantasy
817th
4/1/2024 10:17am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2024 10:20am
jofish wrote:
I’m pretty confident they’re not 3D printed. There are some amazing SLA machines but nothing I’ve seen that would give you that kind of optical clarity...

I’m pretty confident they’re not 3D printed. There are some amazing SLA machines but nothing I’ve seen that would give you that kind of optical clarity and surface finish. It’s possible they could be machined in 2 halves but that would require a hell of a lot of hand finishing which isn't easy on those internal surfaces. They really look like they’ve been tooled up and injection moulded. 

yea, i wasn't certain if you could get that kind of optical clarity directly from 3d printing.  another option is 3d printing the mold and then just thermoforming a clear material. 

Primoz
Fantasy
383rd
4/1/2024 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2024 12:56pm

I think you can heat treat and polish (flame polishing and mechanical polishing) transparent 3D prints to get clarity... I would not be surprised at all if the Dangerholm frame is actually 3D printed...

gregcook
4/1/2024 7:40pm

An update to the levo comming soon? Saw a guy ripping up Galbraith today with an all raw aluminum levo look alike.

Any other observations? 

4/1/2024 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2024 8:55pm
bizutch wrote:

Nah...it was out there for everyone to see.

Haven't seen a media pic of it though.  Maybe it wasn't that special after all.

junkbox wrote:

name checks out

bizutch wrote:

if you're reaching for insults & butthurt, you're gonna need to dig deeper.

ethanrevitch
Fantasy
2331st
4/1/2024 9:26pm
junkbox wrote:

name checks out

bizutch wrote:

What is the pose lmao

SteveClimber
Fantasy
122nd
4/1/2024 11:52pm
bizutch wrote:

What is the pose lmao

In Aus we do a Le Mans start for the DH races now, so you gotta wait by the gate and run over to your bike and tear down the track. 

Anyone know how much a Pademelon is? Almost all the pros at Maydena have been testing them this off season

lickmycrinkle
4/2/2024 12:28am
bizutch wrote:

What is the pose lmao

Magic bike. Stand it up for photos.

On the topic of clear bike, I very much doubt anyone from Scott touched it before it was finished. I have a bud that only does similar types of marketing materials for all sorts of industry. My guess would be cast resin in a silicone mould, anything else is (even more) cost prohibitive.

bizutch
Fantasy
2149th
4/2/2024 5:25am

What is the pose lmao

In Aus we do a Le Mans start for the DH races now, so you gotta wait by the gate and run over to your bike...

In Aus we do a Le Mans start for the DH races now, so you gotta wait by the gate and run over to your bike and tear down the track. 

Anyone know how much a Pademelon is? Almost all the pros at Maydena have been testing them this off season

Hopey site points to their site now.
But their site is just a "put your email address in the box" site.
No pricing. 
No media.
But...they have a National Champion and zero sales so hopefully they hop to it.

junkbox
4/2/2024 5:27am
Does anyone know what Yeti plans to do with switch infinity link? Do they evolve on it in an even more unique fashion? I hope so...

Does anyone know what Yeti plans to do with switch infinity link? Do they evolve on it in an even more unique fashion? I hope so personally. 

Also speaking of unique things, what ever came about Cannondale testing the 2 rear shock downhill bike? 

So Yeti is a DW (suspension link designed by Dave Weagle) historical DW bikes don’t really change such as Ibis, Yeti, Evil. But recent years that...

So Yeti is a DW (suspension link designed by Dave Weagle) historical DW bikes don’t really change such as Ibis, Yeti, Evil. But recent years that hasn’t been 100% true. With Pivot changing their whole line up to a new platform with some of the same DW attributes. Or Devinci changing all their bikes to all 4 bar horst link.

TL;DR: maybe, but I wouldn’t count on it. I definitely wouldn’t count on it being anything other than a DWish platform. 

Ibis and Pivot utilize DW Link

Yeti isn't DW Link

Evil isn't DW Link, they're linkage driven single pivot

Devinci were never DW Link, they're Split Pivot

Being designed by Dave Weagle does not make something a DW Link

4/2/2024 6:55am
Does anyone know what Yeti plans to do with switch infinity link? Do they evolve on it in an even more unique fashion? I hope so...

Does anyone know what Yeti plans to do with switch infinity link? Do they evolve on it in an even more unique fashion? I hope so personally. 

Also speaking of unique things, what ever came about Cannondale testing the 2 rear shock downhill bike? 

So Yeti is a DW (suspension link designed by Dave Weagle) historical DW bikes don’t really change such as Ibis, Yeti, Evil. But recent years that...

So Yeti is a DW (suspension link designed by Dave Weagle) historical DW bikes don’t really change such as Ibis, Yeti, Evil. But recent years that hasn’t been 100% true. With Pivot changing their whole line up to a new platform with some of the same DW attributes. Or Devinci changing all their bikes to all 4 bar horst link.

TL;DR: maybe, but I wouldn’t count on it. I definitely wouldn’t count on it being anything other than a DWish platform. 

junkbox wrote:
Ibis and Pivot utilize DW Link Yeti isn't DW Link Evil isn't DW Link, they're linkage driven single pivot Devinci were never DW Link, they're Split Pivot...

Ibis and Pivot utilize DW Link

Yeti isn't DW Link

Evil isn't DW Link, they're linkage driven single pivot

Devinci were never DW Link, they're Split Pivot

Being designed by Dave Weagle does not make something a DW Link

Wasn't switch infinity a DW patent work around IIRC?

4/2/2024 7:13am

What is the pose lmao

In Aus we do a Le Mans start for the DH races now, so you gotta wait by the gate and run over to your bike...

I was in Maydena in January and talked to someone who had one, he was raving about it. Said he’ll never ride a bike without one ever again, also said arm pump is never an issue anymore with it.

As for cost I’m pretty sure the dampener costs almost as much as the fork you’re installing it on. He was probably talking Australian dollars, not USD, so maybe a bit less, was trying to see if i could get my hands on one, but that price he mentioned put me off for the time being. 

Javigutz
4/2/2024 7:15am

What is the pose lmao

I was in Maydena in January and talked to someone who had one, he was raving about it. Said he’ll never ride a bike without one...

I was in Maydena in January and talked to someone who had one, he was raving about it. Said he’ll never ride a bike without one ever again, also said arm pump is never an issue anymore with it.

As for cost I’m pretty sure the dampener costs almost as much as the fork you’re installing it on. He was probably talking Australian dollars, not USD, so maybe a bit less, was trying to see if i could get my hands on one, but that price he mentioned put me off for the time being. 

What was the price ? 

Javigutz
4/2/2024 7:18am

WRP is designing a Steering damper also, based on the CRF damper I think. 

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest