2024 Racing Talk

austin-NC
Fantasy
1511th
5/2/2024 10:36am
dolface wrote:
No more Dialed?  Edit: Jordi confirmed it's done...  

No more Dialed? 

Edit: Jordi confirmed it's done...

Sad

This is crazy, the best race weekend content by MILES. Fox should of been able to find a way to monetize this better to be able to justify it seemed like it got good views and everything. 

UCI should higher these two guys and keep it rolling, the stuff with Jordi was great but the interview format and track walk stuff was really great. 

Batts
Fantasy
703rd
5/2/2024 11:10am
dolface wrote:

No more Dialed? 

Sad

austin-NC wrote:
This is crazy, the best race weekend content by MILES. Fox should of been able to find a way to monetize this better to be able...

This is crazy, the best race weekend content by MILES. Fox should of been able to find a way to monetize this better to be able to justify it seemed like it got good views and everything. 

UCI should higher these two guys and keep it rolling, the stuff with Jordi was great but the interview format and track walk stuff was really great. 

Can Jake and Shaffer go to Rock Shox??  They made the Boxxer look like a 40, why stop there?

ryan_daugherty
Fantasy
2234th
5/2/2024 2:17pm
sspomer wrote:
Fox SpeedSuit RS will be worn at ft bill!  

Does anyone else feel like we're on the cusp of everything getting a touch more aero? I assume it's a product of the racing times being so tight. My guess is we'll see frame covers before long if the aero mentality picks up momentum. For me personally, I'd hate to see it go this way. I don't care about how people look but racing results influenced by how well someone can tuck or who slippery their clothes or front triangle are would be lame. Perhaps tracks should get slower with more tech or something. I don't know. 

All-MTN-MTB
5/2/2024 3:10pm
sspomer wrote:

Does anyone else feel like we're on the cusp of everything getting a touch more aero? I assume it's a product of the racing times being...

Does anyone else feel like we're on the cusp of everything getting a touch more aero? I assume it's a product of the racing times being so tight. My guess is we'll see frame covers before long if the aero mentality picks up momentum. For me personally, I'd hate to see it go this way. I don't care about how people look but racing results influenced by how well someone can tuck or who slippery their clothes or front triangle are would be lame. Perhaps tracks should get slower with more tech or something. I don't know. 

I think that will be the case for companies in categories that are getting into the marginal gains territories (i.e. frame geo, kinematics, and materials are pretty well sorted so might as well see if you can make it more aero while maintaining ride feel). Off the top of my head, I see those categories as frames, clothing, handlebars, pedals, seat posts, and I’m probably forgetting another thing or too. However, I think there are still categories with significant performance gains still on the table that don’t have any reason to touch aerodynamics for a bit. I see these categories as suspension, tires, wheels, helmets (safety mainly), and brakes.

kperras
Fantasy
3861st
5/2/2024 4:27pm
sspomer wrote:

Does anyone else feel like we're on the cusp of everything getting a touch more aero? I assume it's a product of the racing times being...

Helmets you say....

5/2/2024 10:25pm

No doubt in 2024, the racers with skinsuits and/or electronic damping stiffening/lockouts are going to have a massive advantage over racers with no lockouts and baggier clothes. Times are so tight these days...Aero everything will be a big deal going forward. And electronic lockouts/pedal mode will be super helpful to shave a second here or there on pedals like at the Motorway at Fort Bill, or even the sprint to most every finish line. 

SteveClimber
Fantasy
2276th
5/3/2024 12:04am
No doubt in 2024, the racers with skinsuits and/or electronic damping stiffening/lockouts are going to have a massive advantage over racers with no lockouts and baggier...

No doubt in 2024, the racers with skinsuits and/or electronic damping stiffening/lockouts are going to have a massive advantage over racers with no lockouts and baggier clothes. Times are so tight these days...Aero everything will be a big deal going forward. And electronic lockouts/pedal mode will be super helpful to shave a second here or there on pedals like at the Motorway at Fort Bill, or even the sprint to most every finish line. 

Certain tracks maybe. But Val de Sole and Mont Saint Anne it'll still be suspension setup, courage and strength to smash through the chunder. 

I think the tracks with big motorways, so Fort Bill, Lenzerheide etc we will see this matter, but I'd still say even with all that, if you don't have the courage to hit the turn at 55 it won't matter anyway 

sethimus
Fantasy
2434th
5/3/2024 4:09am
Mugen wrote:

Apparently skinsuits were a step too far for Brendan, good for him sticking to his principles!

you only need them when you are fast though 

austin-NC
Fantasy
1511th
5/3/2024 7:15am

About to sign up for MAX, it looks like the sports package ad on is free for a promotional period of who knows how long. It seems as though if I get the version with ads the ads will not play during a live broadcast. 

It says ads during live sports on the sign up page but on the FAQ it just references normal commercials so it sounds like it will just be whatever ads are on the actual live broadcast not the ads the streaming service runs which would be a crazy move during a live event. 

KMill86
Fantasy
369th
5/3/2024 7:19am
dolface wrote:

No more Dialed? 

Sad

austin-NC wrote:
This is crazy, the best race weekend content by MILES. Fox should of been able to find a way to monetize this better to be able...

Batts wrote:

Can Jake and Shaffer go to Rock Shox??  They made the Boxxer look like a 40, why stop there?

Has any official word come from Fox on why they are not doing Dialed anymore? This was by far the best series to watch during the season. 

bizutch
Fantasy
684th
5/3/2024 7:21am
sspomer wrote:

If they'd put some tight, rooted 180 degree turns and some long off camber root sections, talent would separate times again instead of wind sheer.

World Cup tracks are just ski races on dirt these days.  Turns & awkward off camber out of them is where times separate.
But I guess we've said no slow spots on DH courses anymore.  

What I don't understand is they just not film the tight, narrow, switchback technical sections to split times up off screen and show the "zero pedaling" sections on screen.

Dave_Camp
Fantasy
76th
5/3/2024 7:34am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2024 7:35am
bizutch wrote:
If they'd put some tight, rooted 180 degree turns and some long off camber root sections, talent would separate times again instead of wind sheer. World...

If they'd put some tight, rooted 180 degree turns and some long off camber root sections, talent would separate times again instead of wind sheer.

World Cup tracks are just ski races on dirt these days.  Turns & awkward off camber out of them is where times separate.

What I don't understand is they just not film the tight, narrow, switchback technical sections to split times up off screen and show the "zero pedaling" sections on screen.

It's Ft. William.  It's always been fast and open since the mountain is relatively flat.  Agree the tracks have trended faster but I think it looks better on screen- especially for a casual fan.  There's a decent variety of tracks across the series- some do have the sections/feature you're looking for. 

I'm excited to see the Poland track.

If you want tight and jank go watch EWS.  hahaha

dolface
Fantasy
610th
5/3/2024 7:59am

"If you want tight and jank go watch EWS.  hahaha"

If only we could...

dolface
Fantasy
610th
5/3/2024 8:40am
dolface wrote:

"If you want tight and jank go watch EWS.  hahaha"

If only we could...

Dave_Camp wrote:

I'm just gonna blame that on my lack of coffee...

Remote image

bizutch
Fantasy
684th
5/3/2024 1:47pm
bizutch wrote:
If they'd put some tight, rooted 180 degree turns and some long off camber root sections, talent would separate times again instead of wind sheer. World...

Dave_Camp wrote:
It's Ft. William.  It's always been fast and open since the mountain is relatively flat.  Agree the tracks have trended faster but I think it looks...

It's Ft. William.  It's always been fast and open since the mountain is relatively flat.  Agree the tracks have trended faster but I think it looks better on screen- especially for a casual fan.  There's a decent variety of tracks across the series- some do have the sections/feature you're looking for. 

Bro...I don't even know where I'm supposed to watch the World Cup now!

ryan_daugherty
Fantasy
2234th
5/3/2024 1:49pm
bizutch wrote:

Dave_Camp wrote:
It's Ft. William.  It's always been fast and open since the mountain is relatively flat.  Agree the tracks have trended faster but I think it looks...

I actually find Fort Bill to be one of the more boring tracks as a viewer. Really any track with a 'motor way' is a yawnfest. I don't care how well someone can pump the backside of a jump. These things are just simply not interesting to watch, for me. I know BK and other riders want bigger jumps on track because i'm sure they're fun as hell but as a viewer, being me, i'm not interested in jumping.. if i was i'd go watch Fest series, which i really don't. That's just me though. 

bizutch
Fantasy
684th
5/3/2024 1:49pm

I have MAX. It's not listed anywhere on the app on my Roku.  NOWHERE.

noodlenosteeze
Fantasy
1675th
5/3/2024 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2024 2:14pm
bizutch wrote:

Dave_Camp wrote:

I actually find Fort Bill to be one of the more boring tracks as a viewer. Really any track with a 'motor way' is a yawnfest...

I actually find Fort Bill to be one of the more boring tracks as a viewer. Really any track with a 'motor way' is a yawnfest. I don't care how well someone can pump the backside of a jump. These things are just simply not interesting to watch, for me. I know BK and other riders want bigger jumps on track because i'm sure they're fun as hell but as a viewer, being me, i'm not interested in jumping.. if i was i'd go watch Fest series, which i really don't. That's just me though. 

The UCI should apologize to everyone for not forcing the builders to make tight technical forested turns for the entire flat peet bog track. Evil

Personally I think the tracks are the best they've been in a while. Many of them run a full technical gambit - good size jumps (yes, jumps are technical), good chunky technical sections, traverses for putting power on pedals. Really seems like a full gambit of things to throw at riders. I do personally think they could do more slow speed tech with tighter turns. Part of the reason why I'm excited for the Poland round. 

derekbnorakim
Fantasy
2704th
5/3/2024 2:23pm
bizutch wrote:

Search for Mountain Bike

That's how I find it

bizutch
Fantasy
684th
5/3/2024 2:26pm

Can anyone name a single 180 degree turn that has a long, technical lead in followed by a technical off camber exit?

It doesn't "need" to be on TV, but it should be in the courses.  And a HARD SPRINT somewhere.  Just a douchebag, speed killing, lung busting 5-8 pedal strokes.  

Guys running 155mm cranks and no sprocket is getting too "coaster park" for me.

bizutch
Fantasy
684th
5/3/2024 3:02pm
bizutch wrote:

Search for Mountain Bike

That's how I find it

I really do hate the internet. I searched it with your suggestion as mountain bike...such a simple term.
Pulls right up. 
The part that enrages me...the title of the video has the word DOWNHILL in it, which I searched multiple times for.

Thank you for having the ability to outthink the simple minded.

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
5/3/2024 5:02pm

Made the mistake of trying to talk racing in pinkbike comments. It didn't go well. Anyway. Anyone know what happened in the junior girls timed training? Was it just way too early to send full runs or were there some logistics issues? Seems like only Erice got a full run in. After that it's literally like 10 min run, 15 min run, 20 min run, etc.

5/4/2024 2:32am
LePigPen wrote:
Made the mistake of trying to talk racing in pinkbike comments. It didn't go well. Anyway. Anyone know what happened in the junior girls timed training...

Made the mistake of trying to talk racing in pinkbike comments. It didn't go well. Anyway. Anyone know what happened in the junior girls timed training? Was it just way too early to send full runs or were there some logistics issues? Seems like only Erice got a full run in. After that it's literally like 10 min run, 15 min run, 20 min run, etc.

Yeah I did wonder what was going on there?
I mean Erice is fast, but surely not that much faster.

Wit
5/4/2024 2:43am

Are quali and semi runs not being broadcast anymore? Cant find them anywhere on the discovery plus app through my tv or phone?

jofish
Fantasy
2031st
5/4/2024 3:24am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2024 3:26am

Looking at discovery and Eurosport in Europe and it doesn’t look like there’s any coverage of the qualis or semis this year?

Wit
5/4/2024 3:30am

I thought the idea of Semi’s was more exposure for the teams?! 

instead, discovery are taking us back the the dark ages of having to watch a live timing screen instead 😡

Post a reply to: 2024 Racing Talk

The Latest