2022 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

Related:
derelict
7/15/2021 5:11am
dirtyberd wrote:
if this was the case, he would most definitely black out some nice pieces of rubber. i dont think re-branding or hiding a brand name is...
if this was the case, he would most definitely black out some nice pieces of rubber. i dont think re-branding or hiding a brand name is foreign to this racing industry! dangerous times to be DH racing - so many horrible accidents lately. I am sure gwin, and everyone else, does a double-take when they see a fellow racer and friend go down the way a lot of pros have this season.
derelict wrote:
Certainly. The pace has gotten to that dangerous level. I wonder if/ when the UCI will do what happens across all forms of motorsports where some...
Certainly. The pace has gotten to that dangerous level. I wonder if/ when the UCI will do what happens across all forms of motorsports where some sort of performance leveling or a standardization of parts will happen in an attempt to maybe cool things off a bit.
metadave wrote:
Would that even work though? If you put Bruni and Amaury on the exact same setup, Amaury wod still be half on the edge of control...
Would that even work though? If you put Bruni and Amaury on the exact same setup, Amaury wod still be half on the edge of control and flat out while Bruni would look like he was going half the pace. You can limit/even the tech, but you can't change the riding styles of the wild guys gunning for it.
Oh, I dont know. Motorsports spec's parts in order to control this. I am not sure that that is feasible.

Perhaps the way will be to stop creating boring, straight line tracks and start introducing rocks, roots, and turns into the runs. Self preservation will lead to slightly saner riding. Honestly, the DH tracks over the last couple of years, for the most part, have been really boring.
Primoz
Fantasy
763rd
7/15/2021 7:07am
We've covered this on the previous page, someone said spec forks and shocks will make Pierron still much more rowdy and loose than Bruni. And I said 'make the tracks more twisty'. It would help, the speeds would be lower. People could still be rowdy, but if they crashed, they wouldn't ragdoll as much.
7/15/2021 7:50am
Primoz wrote:
We've covered this on the previous page, someone said spec forks and shocks will make Pierron still much more rowdy and loose than Bruni. And I...
We've covered this on the previous page, someone said spec forks and shocks will make Pierron still much more rowdy and loose than Bruni. And I said 'make the tracks more twisty'. It would help, the speeds would be lower. People could still be rowdy, but if they crashed, they wouldn't ragdoll as much.
Yes! With more actual corners it takes cornering skill to win races, not just letting off the brakes and trying to go ludicrous speed. When Amaury Pierron won Les Gets in 2019 his cornering form was perfect. That track had a good mix of actual 90 degree corners (as opposed to 30-50 degree wiggles) that actually rewarded technique over balls.
dirtyberd
7/15/2021 2:46pm
i heard bryceland was picking up a number plate next year... rrrr i want bryceland to pick up a number plate again.... I MISS BRYCELAND
jofish
Fantasy
1666th
7/15/2021 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2021 3:56pm
Maybe this is harsh as it's still so early in the season but where's Matt Walker at this year? 13th and 25th are consistent...ly not what you'd expect from last year's overall winner. In EWS Sam also seems to have forgotten to pour a monster on his porridge. It must be super tough mentally for them both to kick the season off so mediocrely.
sharpy212
Fantasy
333rd
7/15/2021 10:01pm
jofish wrote:
Maybe this is harsh as it's still so early in the season but where's Matt Walker at this year? 13th and 25th are consistent...ly not what...
Maybe this is harsh as it's still so early in the season but where's Matt Walker at this year? 13th and 25th are consistent...ly not what you'd expect from last year's overall winner. In EWS Sam also seems to have forgotten to pour a monster on his porridge. It must be super tough mentally for them both to kick the season off so mediocrely.
I don’t think sam is off his pace, I think everyone has just lifted there level up each year, and with him being away from the races last year just shows in the results. wouldn’t rule him out… he’ll be back in the mix in no time!
krabo83
7/16/2021 2:21am
jofish wrote:
Maybe this is harsh as it's still so early in the season but where's Matt Walker at this year? 13th and 25th are consistent...ly not what...
sam hill took all of 2020 off from racing and regarding matt walker, so far both races had very challenging and unpredictable conditions, IMO we can‘t really judge someone‘s form until there‘s a dry WE.
Primoz
Fantasy
763rd
7/16/2021 4:09am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2021 4:16am
Yes! With more actual corners it takes cornering skill to win races, not just letting off the brakes and trying to go ludicrous speed. When Amaury...
Yes! With more actual corners it takes cornering skill to win races, not just letting off the brakes and trying to go ludicrous speed. When Amaury Pierron won Les Gets in 2019 his cornering form was perfect. That track had a good mix of actual 90 degree corners (as opposed to 30-50 degree wiggles) that actually rewarded technique over balls.
Add awkward, low speed rock gardens and root sections to the corners. Stuff you can't just jump over but have to actively manage and ride.

Imagine making world cup DH pros front pivot in a tight corner! Though, given my experience with an XL trail bike with a 1292 mm wheelbase, with modern bikes it doesn't take much to achieve that 😂
Eoin
Fantasy
61st
7/16/2021 5:03am
jofish wrote:
krabo83 wrote:
sam hill took all of 2020 off from racing and regarding matt walker, so far both races had very challenging and unpredictable conditions, IMO we can‘t...
sam hill took all of 2020 off from racing and regarding matt walker, so far both races had very challenging and unpredictable conditions, IMO we can‘t really judge someone‘s form until there‘s a dry WE.
Krabo said it all, but just to add regarding Sam: he did go well on one of the first stages of the year so the speed is still definitely there. But EWS venues and schedule have been real endurance tests.

DH is wild this year, between the weather, crashes and mechanicals the results are all over the place. Like, I think most people understand Vergier is the fastest dude out there right now (top 3 for sure), but that would be impossible to tell from his race performance...
Darth_Sloth
7/16/2021 5:04am
jofish wrote:
krabo83 wrote:
sam hill took all of 2020 off from racing and regarding matt walker, so far both races had very challenging and unpredictable conditions, IMO we can‘t...
Hard disagree on only judging riders form based on dry races. You get to race the track you're presented with, if its hard and wet and your form in those conditions is bad then you do bad, that sucks for the rider but it's really just a lack of skill or preparation in those conditions. You can't say someone is on 'good' form generally if they can only ride one type of terrain fast IMO. The best you could say if they start doing well in the dry is that their form is 'inconsistent' and varies depending on the conditions.

That said I agree you can't base much on the last race with the top riders being in different conditions; other than that Reece is an absolute beast in the wet I guess....

Not saying anything bad about Matt Walker though, may have just had a bad couple of races.
jofish
Fantasy
1666th
7/16/2021 7:57am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2021 8:00am
krabo83 wrote:
On one hand I agree about Sam and I do very much want to see him back on top, but equally I would say the results speak for themselves / or don’t. Didn’t Richie also miss all the EWS races last year?

In Les Gets Matt Walker left the start gate right before Daprella and finished 13th - not at all a bad result but not where I expected to see the WC champ.

I am looking forward to a dry WC round so we can see everyone’s flat out pace but everyone knew what they were in for and rode in fairly similar conditions in Leogang.
Eoin
Fantasy
61st
7/16/2021 8:15am
Quick update from A. Pierron, in french audio:
https://fullattack.cc/amaury-pierron-nous-donne-de-ses-nouvelles/

Very quick translation:
it was small fall, anyone looking would have been surprised he was even injured
Lungs (pretty much healed), liver and kidneys in a bad state.
Apparently takes longer to heal than bone, doctors told him 6 months before riding, 3 before doing any sport
Getting another scan in 2 weeks to see how things are progressing
Finishes with an epic "I reckon my body is a super warrior, and it will go much faster"
Staying positive and eating/drinking very healthy.
dd
7/16/2021 9:28am
sharpy212 wrote:
I don’t think sam is off his pace, I think everyone has just lifted there level up each year, and with him being away from the...
I don’t think sam is off his pace, I think everyone has just lifted there level up each year, and with him being away from the races last year just shows in the results. wouldn’t rule him out… he’ll be back in the mix in no time!
I mostly agree with this, but I also think he won three titles in a row, let the man chill.

Anybody got some of them team rumors??
derelict
7/17/2021 5:15am
Primoz wrote:
We've covered this on the previous page, someone said spec forks and shocks will make Pierron still much more rowdy and loose than Bruni. And I...
I agree with most things. Spec parts might result in "rowdy" riding but once you realize that you cannot brute force your way through things, you are forced to adapt. You can see that when a race league spec's a tire manufacturer, or a compound change. You have those that try to force it and they blow corners and crash. They then learn that you have to change because things arent there anymore and they become more methodical with other things (drafting, corner technique, braking, etc...). That is motorsports where there are hundreds of sub systems that can be controlled. Not too sure that can be done with biking.

The tracks thing I agree with you. I watched them build the intro jump at Snowshoe. Then I watched as everyone cut it. I get that it was faster to weave around it but things like that not only make for interesting watching but also as a check.
Primoz
Fantasy
763rd
7/18/2021 2:02am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2021 2:03am
@derelict true, but having a spec fork and a spec shock (or a spec tyre) won't do much for the speed problem. And while spec components in motorsports do tend to have an effect on speed, they achieve this mostly as an aftereffect - the main reason for spec components is to lower the price of admission. Or to outlaw certain things. FIA tried to police traction control in F1, then just simply gave up in 2001. By mid 00s, everybody ran traction control, automatic shifting (at perfect RPM points). Traction control was banned again in 2008, then the spec ECU (supplied by McLaren) was introduced, apparently in 2013 (as far as I can find), that basically makes it impossible for the teams to fettle with stuff like that. They have a set of parameters they can change to adapt to the engine and the like and that's it.

The thing is developing, modeling and testing tedious, small things like that costs A LOT of money for very marginal gains. Gains that are worth it at the sharp end. Think stuff like seamless shifting, traction control, party modes for qualifying (burning more engine oil to have a higher flow of energy to the combustion chamber and get more power or just running the engine at a higher power level for one lap, not worrying about total fuel flows or overheating), fettling with the fuel flow sensors (supposed downfall of Ferrari from 2019 to 2020) on the powertrain side, using tuned mass dampers, inerters, front to rear interconnected suspension with a passive switching element to optimise the platform of the car (aero >> handling in series like F1), third spring elements, you had suspension systems separating heave and roll in WEC (one damper/spring unit would be affected when the car rolled in the turns, another unit would be affected when the car was either pressed down by the downforce or pitched from braking or accelerating, enabling you for example to have a very vertically stiff car, but compliant in roll), teams ran helium in the wheel guns so they spun up faster, gas mixtures used in tyres were a science unto themselves to prevent overheating and have a stable tyre temperature until it got banned and a spec gas mixture was defined, you have ridges in the rims and teams fettle with brake drums to tune the amount of heat going through the rims into the tyres during sessions, the aerodynamic details are insane, with small flicks on the front wing making a vortex that is then conditioned all along the car so it passes over the rear diffuser for example (https://tianyizf1.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/ibtglzyrus9f6h.gif), etc., etc.

Limiting this through the rules is much harder than just giving the teams a spec part which is sealed with a tamperproof seal and has a limited amount of capabilities. It makes things cheaper first and foremost, then through the limited set of capabilities it can make a series slower.

Using spec parts in MTB wouldn't do much if anything, as you have riders that either care a lot or don't care at all what they ride and how it's set up (the latter category is probably getting smaller though). The amount of data acquisition at the top level is still a small percentage, when in motorsports you have dynamics and chassis engineers developing and running simulations in junior categories (it's a money thing of course). Using spec parts would just make the sponsors unhappy and in the current world, sponsors from the industry are basically everything we have.
Wit
7/18/2021 12:20pm
Yawn. Team rumours please. I think this thread started a bit early this year.
Agreed, every year this thread turns into a tech thread (even though there’s a separate one for this🤦‍♂️)

metadave
Fantasy
2079th
7/18/2021 10:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2021 10:14pm
Primoz wrote:
@derelict true, but having a spec fork and a spec shock (or a spec tyre) won't do much for the speed problem. And while spec components...
@derelict true, but having a spec fork and a spec shock (or a spec tyre) won't do much for the speed problem. And while spec components in motorsports do tend to have an effect on speed, they achieve this mostly as an aftereffect - the main reason for spec components is to lower the price of admission. Or to outlaw certain things. FIA tried to police traction control in F1, then just simply gave up in 2001. By mid 00s, everybody ran traction control, automatic shifting (at perfect RPM points). Traction control was banned again in 2008, then the spec ECU (supplied by McLaren) was introduced, apparently in 2013 (as far as I can find), that basically makes it impossible for the teams to fettle with stuff like that. They have a set of parameters they can change to adapt to the engine and the like and that's it.

The thing is developing, modeling and testing tedious, small things like that costs A LOT of money for very marginal gains. Gains that are worth it at the sharp end. Think stuff like seamless shifting, traction control, party modes for qualifying (burning more engine oil to have a higher flow of energy to the combustion chamber and get more power or just running the engine at a higher power level for one lap, not worrying about total fuel flows or overheating), fettling with the fuel flow sensors (supposed downfall of Ferrari from 2019 to 2020) on the powertrain side, using tuned mass dampers, inerters, front to rear interconnected suspension with a passive switching element to optimise the platform of the car (aero >> handling in series like F1), third spring elements, you had suspension systems separating heave and roll in WEC (one damper/spring unit would be affected when the car rolled in the turns, another unit would be affected when the car was either pressed down by the downforce or pitched from braking or accelerating, enabling you for example to have a very vertically stiff car, but compliant in roll), teams ran helium in the wheel guns so they spun up faster, gas mixtures used in tyres were a science unto themselves to prevent overheating and have a stable tyre temperature until it got banned and a spec gas mixture was defined, you have ridges in the rims and teams fettle with brake drums to tune the amount of heat going through the rims into the tyres during sessions, the aerodynamic details are insane, with small flicks on the front wing making a vortex that is then conditioned all along the car so it passes over the rear diffuser for example (https://tianyizf1.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/ibtglzyrus9f6h.gif), etc., etc.

Limiting this through the rules is much harder than just giving the teams a spec part which is sealed with a tamperproof seal and has a limited amount of capabilities. It makes things cheaper first and foremost, then through the limited set of capabilities it can make a series slower.

Using spec parts in MTB wouldn't do much if anything, as you have riders that either care a lot or don't care at all what they ride and how it's set up (the latter category is probably getting smaller though). The amount of data acquisition at the top level is still a small percentage, when in motorsports you have dynamics and chassis engineers developing and running simulations in junior categories (it's a money thing of course). Using spec parts would just make the sponsors unhappy and in the current world, sponsors from the industry are basically everything we have.
This post is why I appreciate you
luisgutrod
Fantasy
182nd
7/18/2021 10:58pm
yeah new rumors. subscribed. Welcome to all the migrating flock!
Eoin
Fantasy
61st
7/20/2021 3:04am

Not on insta, so linking a screenshot from another forum:
B. Pierron out of hospital and straight into the clone wars, that thing wraps around the back of his head.

That family definitly doesn't skip arm day.

mods feel free to replace with insta link if preferred
stoic_machine
7/31/2021 8:10am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2021 8:30am
2022 could be a strange year where maybe we don't see a huge amount of moving and shaking happen within the World Cup.

Unless the Commencal - Muck+Off thing gets even more interesting and we see a certain rider move away from the team...
8/10/2021 6:40am
any news about the Kross-Orlen XC team? is Ondrej Cink staying? and I´ve read Maja Wlozczowska is retiring
Verbl Kint
8/11/2021 10:03am
The Unior-Sinter team ride Devinci Wilsons on the DH side of UCI World Cups, while their XC riders are on S-works frames.

Will we also see the Unior team on Demos next year?
Primoz
Fantasy
763rd
8/11/2021 11:19am
If they make a Demo in a decent size maybe... Jure is not what you would call small.
Yuroshek
8/11/2021 12:54pm
Dak tested Positive for Covid, will miss Maribor WC.

Also I heard from a viable source that Gwin pulled out of Maribor WC due to injury caused in practice at Mountain Creek Nationals this past weekend.

Should be Interesting, wonder if any more top guys will have issues with covid tests in the future.

Post a reply to: 2022 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

The Latest