2022 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

Related:
Maxipedia
Fantasy
1469th
5/5/2022 9:35pm
Guys, I just found out about this and got all sad. I didn't know where else to post it and I didn't want to make a separate thread about this, so I put it here, since this seems a thread that is populated with knowledgeable and, more importantly, decent people:

https://www.facebook.com/StevePeatOfficialFanPage/posts/561151172036116

This is Steve Peat asking people to help Shaun Palmer.
THE Steve Peat. THE Shaun Palmer.

I also got infuriated after reading the comment section of an article dedicated to this on the other site and had to react, so, for full transparency, I put my comment here as well:

”Oh wow! So one of our MTB legends has some hardships, another MTB legend asks the ”community” to help and what does the ”community” do? Judge, as if we were better humans and could tell people how to live their lives? And as if somebody ASKED us to be judges of other peoples' lives. That thing alone makes me wanna puke a bit, along with all the cheap self-righteousness here. A few questions, though:

How do we know Palmer is a rich person?
How do we know that ”he should” have everything insured?
How do we know that these are merely ”toys” and not all he has?
Why doesn't somebody like Peaty, who has proven nothing but integrity towards the sport, have enough credibility to ask the ”community” for support?
How do we know that Peaty did not donate a chunk of money to the cause above?
Why do we think that we are so much better than others and have the moral stature to place judgements upon people?
And last, why do we build all of our unsolicited judgement un damn assumptions, which is a fallacy, by the way?

To me, as a fan of the sport and one that appreciates how Palmer and Peaty influenced our sport, this looks like the tip of the iceberg to something grimmer and darker. I think about Palmer every now and then and ask myself how he is doing. And I honestly don't believe he is doing too well. That documentary was a bit telling, you know. The fact that he is could not hold his coach position with Intense from a while a go, as well. The fact that he sold his bikes a while ago also. A while back, one of my buddies bought a TLD Palmer signature helmet of eBay. He had a hunch that the seller is the man himself, so he asked for proof. He got an autograph and some thanks. It didn't look like a rich person was selling his stuff on eBay, but it was also none of my business.

Not every athlete is an excellent manager and does well with money, there are probably hundreds of top-paid guys from other sports who ended in bankruptcy. Also, not everybody is prone of ”doing well” for the whole length of their life. Depression is tougher thing than we imagine most of the times and not everybody handles it the same. There are so many open questions in this case that my head hurts. And all we can do is make judgements and act condescending. Because somehow we think that we are better, so we are entitled to pretend we are morally superior. I don't know how many friends or close ones you lost to the aftermath of depression, but I wish you none. I don't know if it is the case, but I am genuinely worried about this whole thing and I really don't want to read a shitty headline about Palm some weeks from now. I really hope the guy is fine.

How and why did we forget to be human? How did we forget compassion???

I am sick of Pinkbike comment sections, full of nobody's who think they know better how other people should live their lives. What a sorry and ungrateful bunch we have all become! Congratulations, ”community”!

Mx”

Stay safe be well!
Mx
Johnboy
5/6/2022 3:56am
Just noticed Breeden riding the old JS tuned carbon intense on his insta with what looks like BYB telemetry on the Fox40. Maybe doesn't like the prototype, or just getting some back to back comparisons for Ft Bill 🤔

5/6/2022 4:18am
Johnboy wrote:
Just noticed Breeden riding the old JS tuned carbon intense on his insta with what looks like BYB telemetry on the Fox40. Maybe doesn't like the...
Just noticed Breeden riding the old JS tuned carbon intense on his insta with what looks like BYB telemetry on the Fox40. Maybe doesn't like the prototype, or just getting some back to back comparisons for Ft Bill 🤔

Maybe he wants to run full 29er for Fort Bill 🤷🏻‍♂️
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
5/6/2022 8:27am
Doesn't the back wheel look a bit small for a 29er?
nskerb
5/6/2022 8:46am
Maxipedia wrote:
Guys, I just found out about this and got all sad. I didn't know where else to post it and I didn't want to make a...
Guys, I just found out about this and got all sad. I didn't know where else to post it and I didn't want to make a separate thread about this, so I put it here, since this seems a thread that is populated with knowledgeable and, more importantly, decent people:

I also got infuriated after reading the comment section of an article dedicated to this on the other site and had to react, so, for full transparency, I put my comment here as well:

”Oh wow! So one of our MTB legends has some hardships, another MTB legend asks the ”community” to help and what does the ”community” do? Judge, as if we were better humans and could tell people how to live their lives? And as if somebody ASKED us to be judges of other peoples' lives. That thing alone makes me wanna puke a bit, along with all the cheap self-righteousness here. A few questions, though:

Why doesn't somebody like Peaty, who has proven nothing but integrity towards the sport, have enough credibility to ask the ”community” for support?
Why do we think that we are so much better than others and have the moral stature to place judgements upon people?
And last, why do we build all of our unsolicited judgement un damn assumptions, which is a fallacy, by the way?

To me, as a fan of the sport and one that appreciates how Palmer and Peaty influenced our sport, this looks like the tip of the iceberg to something grimmer and darker. I think about Palmer every now and then and ask myself how he is doing. And I honestly don't believe he is doing too well. That documentary was a bit telling, you know. The fact that he is could not hold his coach position with Intense from a while a go, as well. The fact that he sold his bikes a while ago also. A while back, one of my buddies bought a TLD Palmer signature helmet of eBay. He had a hunch that the seller is the man himself, so he asked for proof. He got an autograph and some thanks. It didn't look like a rich person was selling his stuff on eBay, but it was also none of my business.

Not every athlete is an excellent manager and does well with money, there are probably hundreds of top-paid guys from other sports who ended in bankruptcy. Also, not everybody is prone of ”doing well” for the whole length of their life. Depression is tougher thing than we imagine most of the times and not everybody handles it the same. There are so many open questions in this case that my head hurts. And all we can do is make judgements and act condescending. Because somehow we think that we are better, so we are entitled to pretend we are morally superior. I don't know how many friends or close ones you lost to the aftermath of depression, but I wish you none. I don't know if it is the case, but I am genuinely worried about this whole thing and I really don't want to read a shitty headline about Palm some weeks from now. I really hope the guy is fine.

I am sick of Pinkbike comment sections, full of nobody's who think they know better how other people should live their lives. What a sorry and ungrateful bunch we have all become! Congratulations, ”community”!

Mx”

Stay safe be well!
Mx
It's not that deep.
Aksel_Lfft
5/6/2022 1:22pm
Maxipedia wrote:
Guys, I just found out about this and got all sad. I didn't know where else to post it and I didn't want to make a...

Mx”

Stay safe be well!
Mx
While I got certain aspects of your point (we can all agree that people lack decency when talking on the internet), I have to disagree for the rest.
For sure it's a shitty situation and having money or not does not erase the trauma caused by an assault or a theft. But we need to stop this fucking trend of asking money from the average joe because you are well known and will trigger their sensitivity. Let's be honest, if tomorrow I am mugged and my belongings are stolen, I doubt you will take me seriously if I come to you asking for money through this kind of platform...
I fully understand that the close friends/family are willing to help for sure, but then you can manage it privately.

That being said, I really and honestly feel sorry for him, and hope he will sort it out. Let's not forget he is the victim and surely does not deserve this
5/7/2022 11:53am
Maybe there shouldn't be a comment section on every piece of "news". Sometimes I think you could just post things like this and go, "okay, there's that. And that's it." like linking to a post of some well known athlete.
But then again, would there be that much traffic on sites like this or the other? And do we pay for it already, or is it still free? I'm not on this Beta thing yet, partly because I've come to the practice of supporting most causes that are promoted on these sites, with a little amount even if it's not a raffle, because reading and posting and contributing makes me feel "being part of the community" even if I live far from North America.
I've been through the comment section on the other site, and I feel for Palmer, but I won't donate this time for my own personal reasons. But I didn't like what I read there as well.
Maxipedia
Fantasy
1469th
5/9/2022 1:09am
Aksel_Lfft wrote:
While I got certain aspects of your point (we can all agree that people lack decency when talking on the internet), I have to disagree for...
While I got certain aspects of your point (we can all agree that people lack decency when talking on the internet), I have to disagree for the rest.
For sure it's a shitty situation and having money or not does not erase the trauma caused by an assault or a theft. But we need to stop this fucking trend of asking money from the average joe because you are well known and will trigger their sensitivity. Let's be honest, if tomorrow I am mugged and my belongings are stolen, I doubt you will take me seriously if I come to you asking for money through this kind of platform...
I fully understand that the close friends/family are willing to help for sure, but then you can manage it privately.

That being said, I really and honestly feel sorry for him, and hope he will sort it out. Let's not forget he is the victim and surely does not deserve this
I get your point. To me, as the average Joe,, who is a mountainbike fan that has been interested in Palmer since he took up MTB in 1996, exactly this part of making a Go-Fund-Me account and ask regular people is worrisome. If it has come to this, my best guess is all the other resources aren't available anymore. I don't know what the situation of the man is, but then again, neither do most people. I ask myself: if it was the case that Palm hit rock bottom, is somebody less rightful to receive financial help, just because he is famous to some people and at some point he had good paychecks? And who decides who has the right and who doesn't?

The aura of Palmer is that of a proud, stubborn and arrogant individual. The kind of guy who would probably never ask for help. I can't imagine somebody like this being cool with having a Go-Fund-Me account set up for them, if it wasn't the last resort. But then again, this is all speculation.

I imagine that by now word has spread around and certain people reached out. I wish to learn in the future that the dude is okay.

It is not the same, but this whole thing reminded me of the Lamar Odom situation and how Kobe went directly to visit him as soon as he found out that he is hospitalized.

Mx
jay-san
5/9/2022 2:09am
Aksel_Lfft wrote:
While I got certain aspects of your point (we can all agree that people lack decency when talking on the internet), I have to disagree for...

Maxipedia wrote:
I get your point. To me, as the average Joe,, who is a mountainbike fan that has been interested in Palmer since he took up MTB...
I get your point. To me, as the average Joe,, who is a mountainbike fan that has been interested in Palmer since he took up MTB in 1996, exactly this part of making a Go-Fund-Me account and ask regular people is worrisome. If it has come to this, my best guess is all the other resources aren't available anymore. I don't know what the situation of the man is, but then again, neither do most people. I ask myself: if it was the case that Palm hit rock bottom, is somebody less rightful to receive financial help, just because he is famous to some people and at some point he had good paychecks? And who decides who has the right and who doesn't?

The aura of Palmer is that of a proud, stubborn and arrogant individual. The kind of guy who would probably never ask for help. I can't imagine somebody like this being cool with having a Go-Fund-Me account set up for them, if it wasn't the last resort. But then again, this is all speculation.

I imagine that by now word has spread around and certain people reached out. I wish to learn in the future that the dude is okay.

It is not the same, but this whole thing reminded me of the Lamar Odom situation and how Kobe went directly to visit him as soon as he found out that he is hospitalized.

Mx
I think the point made earlier stands.

4 years ago the bike I spend $12k on putting together and customising to my liking over 3 years was stolen. Insurance lapsed, no CCTV, etc. Gone. Did anyone help? No. If I had set up a gofundme page would I have amassed $10k? No. Have I got a bike now, all those years later? No.

I appreciate he has given something to the community, but really? Whatever. He lost some gear. Living in the US is like living in the Wild West - none of this is a surprise outside of the fact he is still alive. Sad but true.

I feel bad for the dude, but at the same time the number of dollars he would have given me are the number of dollars I’m giving him.
veefour
Fantasy
315th
5/9/2022 11:33am
Palmer has allegedly made millions over the years. He's also made some very bad decisions. While I feel for the dude there are so many people currently in more need of help IMO.
hogfly
Fantasy
1689th
5/17/2022 8:51am
Not a team rumor... but the Cannondale setup at the BME pits was pretty impressive. They're sinking some legit money into their Stateside enduro team.
Edthorne
Fantasy
1944th
5/26/2022 9:52am
Keegan Wright and Mick Hannah will both be racing EWS-E for Yeti this season, confirmed over on the other site.
metadave
Fantasy
2288th
6/25/2022 11:42pm
29 wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CfOUUUmMOrc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= Katy Winton seems to be taking a break. Hope all goes well for her, the documentation last year about the team struggle and doing her...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CfOUUUmMOrc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Katy Winton seems to be taking a break. Hope all goes well for her, the documentation last year about the team struggle and doing her own thing was super interesting.
Sounds rough, I hope she's ok. With absolutely zero inside info of what's actually going on, i wonder if she's had very high expectations
of herself since before her concussion issues on trek and maybe that's affecting her in the long run or at least I hope that's it. She's a total ripper and hope she gives herself a minute to recharge and come back swinging because shes totally capable of the best. #teamkaty
sharpy212
Fantasy
1024th
7/1/2022 11:44pm
Now Redbull are longer doing the race coverage, I wonder if they’ll stick around in downhill race scene. it would be cool if they started a team… maybe partner up with UNNO. That UNNO bike needs to be back on the circuit. Just a thought.
boozed
7/2/2022 9:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2022 3:53am
In one of Brendan Fairclough's recent videos Rachel Atherton mentioned she's targeting a return to racing next year, but I'm not sure if that meant any racing or just the World Cup.

Edit: well so much for that!
7/3/2022 9:36am
Once Rachel gets back into the groove it will be a one woman show like it was back in the twenty teens.
Faster Than U
Fantasy
142nd
7/3/2022 10:01am
Once Rachel gets back into the groove it will be a one woman show like it was back in the twenty teens.
Nope. The field has caught up and passed her. She might be able to podium in the future, but she’ll never dominate like she did in the past.
bulletbass man
Fantasy
194th
7/3/2022 7:21pm
Nope. The field has caught up and passed her. She might be able to podium in the future, but she’ll never dominate like she did in...
Nope. The field has caught up and passed her. She might be able to podium in the future, but she’ll never dominate like she did in the past.
Have they? Rachel at world champs in lenzerheide won by almost 10 seconds. With the rest of the field healthy and tahnee at her peak putting down a clean run. I don’t agree that it will be a one woman show but I think Rachel will competing for wins as soon as she is close to back to form and probably could sneak a win or two just by showing up and putting down a solid race run if the best lady of the day has a mishap.

That’s not to take anything away from the woman’s field. They have certainly progressed as a group a ton in the past few years. But if anything they’ve progressed to be on par with Rachel. She has been hitting the race lines in the way most women have only recently for a long time now. I wouldn’t be shocked if Rachel doesn’t win the overall next season but I’d be surprised if she doesn’t win a race or two if she comes back fighting. If she’s not fighting I’d assume she’ll be straightforward about showing up to sell the bike and not much more.
Verbl Kint
7/3/2022 8:05pm
There is also a question of motivation. Rachel was supremely motivated back in the day to not just win each race but to actually dominate the field.

Time will tell whether or not she is just as hungry now as she was prior to her sabbatical.
NWDommen
7/3/2022 9:27pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2022 9:30pm
Nope. The field has caught up and passed her. She might be able to podium in the future, but she’ll never dominate like she did in...
Regardless that this is her families local bike park, Rachel is absolutely hauling.

Mr.Nally
7/4/2022 12:25am
LOL, clueless comment

Post a reply to: 2022 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

The Latest