MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
9/30/2024 10:52pm
Primoz wrote:

Wait, not a fan of VPP anti-rise dropping off the map or the consistent (low) anti-rise of Horst-link bikes?

Consistent low anti rise is not something I like. 

9/30/2024 11:19pm
1llumA wrote:
Which is more weird since Trek usually have an inbetween M/L for most of their MTB model which would slot in nicely with a 470mm reach...

Which is more weird since Trek usually have an inbetween M/L for most of their MTB model which would slot in nicely with a 470mm reach in this case.

I always hear people complain their 470 ish reach bike is either to big or to small - which i often hear from Specilized/nukeproof etc owners...

I always hear people complain their 470 ish reach bike is either to big or to small - which i often hear from Specilized/nukeproof etc owners who buy the s4/large... say its either to big or to small.

side note, Trek are Trying to reduce SKU's.

I disagree with those people, but I’m probably wrong. 

NicoZesty96
1 day ago

On the VALA, curious that it specs Schwalbe Radial tyres and no Maxxis unlike every other Santa Cruz stock build

ShapeThings
1 day ago Edited Date/Time 1 day ago

On the VALA, curious that it specs Schwalbe Radial tyres and no Maxxis unlike every other Santa Cruz stock build

Could be the en-PON-ification of Santa Cruz. Deepening of the influence by the corporate overloads. 

Or maybe SC just like the tire and got a good cost for them. I’m running the Albert Gravity as a front, I like it aside from it running real narrow for a 2.5. Edit: the maxxis WT 2.5 is my gold standard. 

gibbon
Nico_Hrndz wrote:

This might be the most unexciting bike I've seen in ages

2024-09-30-145645 trek--les-nouveaux-rail-powerfly-et-powerfly-fs%5Bb7e8120a6b8ac5d0ec2ea7343de8bf58172770127762%5D.jpg?VersionId=EKwpbjaVdY18I1F zFn1aQ6dago
gibbon
1 day ago

Bought by people who want tyres that are really knobbly and fast on road.And have 'gel' saddle covers.

axouloulou

Does someone know which fork was Dario Lilio riding this weekend in Lake Placid?
Black fox, i presume a 34 - with a new arch design.

1 day ago

Why does the Rail+ look like something old people would ride on the bike path next to a river on a sunny weekend day

also can we please call Horst link bikes „crab link“ from now on it is fantastic

drakefan705
Fantasy
782nd
1 day ago

Apologies if this is pedantic or already discussed. Is VPP not also a 4 bar suspension design? Confused why Santa Cruz is using that terminology to differentiate the Vala from their other bikes. 

kashima_nuts
Fantasy
2163rd
1 day ago
Apologies if this is pedantic or already discussed. Is VPP not also a 4 bar suspension design? Confused why Santa Cruz is using that terminology to...

Apologies if this is pedantic or already discussed. Is VPP not also a 4 bar suspension design? Confused why Santa Cruz is using that terminology to differentiate the Vala from their other bikes. 

Not pedantic but easily explained with a quick google search. Easiest thing to distinguish 4bar/horst link is the pivot near the rear axle. Their new ebike has it, all the VPP bikes do not. 

dolface
Fantasy
594th
1 day ago
honeymoon wrote:
Not sure if this was caught by anyone else, but Open might have just leaked some details on a new Shimano derailleur while promoting a new...

Not sure if this was caught by anyone else, but Open might have just leaked some details on a new Shimano derailleur while promoting a new gravel frame of theirs?  

https://opencycle.com/blog/new-direction-for-up-and-upper

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 8.06.50%E2%80%AFPM.png?VersionId=YBlNtnG

Oh good, ANOTHER "standard"... 🙄

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
1 day ago
Apologies if this is pedantic or already discussed. Is VPP not also a 4 bar suspension design? Confused why Santa Cruz is using that terminology to...

It is. 

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
1 day ago

Not pedantic but easily explained with a quick google search. Easiest thing to distinguish 4bar/horst link is the pivot near the rear axle. Their new ebike...

Not pedantic but easily explained with a quick google search. Easiest thing to distinguish 4bar/horst link is the pivot near the rear axle. Their new ebike has it, all the VPP bikes do not. 

Horst link is one of the variants of a 4 bar design. 

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
1 day ago
honeymoon wrote:
Not sure if this was caught by anyone else, but Open might have just leaked some details on a new Shimano derailleur while promoting a new...

Not sure if this was caught by anyone else, but Open might have just leaked some details on a new Shimano derailleur while promoting a new gravel frame of theirs?  

dolface wrote:

The first bullet says it’s a UDH frame, so whatever Shimano is doing is compatible with that standard.

kashima_nuts
Fantasy
2163rd
1 day ago

Not pedantic but easily explained with a quick google search. Easiest thing to distinguish 4bar/horst link is the pivot near the rear axle. Their new ebike...

Primoz wrote:

Horst link is one of the variants of a 4 bar design. 

Good job, and the ebike in question is a horst link 

Eoin
Fantasy
62nd
1 day ago

None of these bosch bikes are that exciting to me right now, the Vala being in direct competition with the Rise LT and AMflow is kinda nuts considering how poorly it compares on paper (obviously SC will have a major win in build quality and customer service). 

The crestline S180 is dreamy, but well outside of my budget, I have put 2-3 frames in the landfill over the last 10 years, so a 10k bike seems like a bad idea.

French brand moustache will announce their concept this week, look like they rotated the motor and slid the battery almost below the motor, similar idea to the lapierre GLP aiming to centralise the weight as much as possible. Orbea are rumoured to release a 170/170 wild, but unclear which battery it will fit.

Also isn't this the second time Bosch have announed their motor and partner frames, but then refused to show the frame mounted display, I find this 100% insane, just show us a render or a plastic mockup if you don't have it ready, why hide it? It's going to be small screen with power mode and battery level, what exactly do you think we are missing here?

If only the AMflow was a 160+ rear travel bike with a non-trunnion shock the decision would be so easy! 

gibbon
1 day ago
honeymoon wrote:

dolface wrote:

chriskief wrote:

The first bullet says it’s a UDH frame, so whatever Shimano is doing is compatible with that standard.

Given UDH is an open standard and becoming industry wide it would make sense for Shimano to utilize it............so of course they won't do it.

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
1 day ago
dolface wrote:

chriskief wrote:

gibbon wrote:

Given UDH is an open standard and becoming industry wide it would make sense for Shimano to utilize it............so of course they won't do it.

If the frame is UDH and also compatible with new Shimano derailleur, likely the frame standard is the same and the Shimano mount bolt (T-Type for SRAM) will be different.

1 day ago
Rick26 wrote:
2025 Rail is up on Trek EU websites with all builds & prices, but the bike is still not released or shown anywhere else (no US/CAN...

2025 Rail is up on Trek EU websites with all builds & prices, but the bike is still not released or shown anywhere else (no US/CAN prices/builds or review out).

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/rail-plus-high-powered-emtb/

Wowzers, 490/495 mm reach in a large and 450/455 for a medium, maybe some people will love that but that feels like to large of a...

Wowzers, 490/495 mm reach in a large and 450/455 for a medium, maybe some people will love that but that feels like to large of a jump between sizes,.

This has to be a typo right? Aren't most people on size L (M on some brans now) which is 470-480 reach??

1 day ago
Scontoni wrote:
More of the new Rail+
dfg564654dfg4g11g1dfg564654dfg4g11g2

More of the new Rail+

Nico_Hrndz wrote:

This might be the most unexciting bike I've seen in ages

Removable battery at least! Idk if I'd ever own a Trek other than my old Trek 8000 SL but I really like how they've stayed committed to removable batteries. I didn't even realize the Fuel Ex-E had a removable battery until recently, which makes total sense for a tiny 360wh unit.

I'd argue the Vala is slightly more unexciting.

Eoin
Fantasy
62nd
1 day ago

This has to be a typo right? Aren't most people on size L (M on some brans now) which is 470-480 reach??

It makes no sense, especially as S->M is +2cm, M->L is +4cm, but L to XL is 2.5cm.

The only question mark is their headset cups, they could allow reach adjust, they only briefly mention them adjusting head angle.

JerseyMojo
Fantasy
853rd
1 day ago
gibbon wrote:

Hate to post a link to the other site, but its the only reference I could find - could well be Shimano's own direct mount... 

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/shimano-patent-shows-direct-mount-electro…

JVP
1 day ago
gibbon wrote:

Not quite an open standard. SRAM will grant you a license, at no cost, if you apply (I've done it). But it isn't open, and there's nothing saying they have to grant said license. When you apply, you interface with the SRAM legal team. I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing everything they can to make things challenging for Shimano, it's what big brands do to each other.

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest