MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
krabo83
2/1/2023 11:24pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2023 11:26pm
krabo83 wrote:
  the release of the transition relay shows us that the new sram groups are called X0 and XX, the 1 in the name is gone...

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-31 um 19.11.46.png?VersionId=PQjH

the release of the transition relay shows us that the new sram groups are called X0 and XX, the 1 in the name is gone. guess an official release is imminent.

Kango wrote:

Seems about right. The leaked photos of the new AXS drivetrain shows just XX on the derailleur. 

the new carbon cranks jack moir had on later last season also just said XX.

my guess is xx is staying carbon and x0 are going alu only as their high end enduro/trail group that can take a beating. kinda funny if they stay with carbon x01 DH group.

sluette
2/1/2023 11:34pm
krabo83 wrote:
  the release of the transition relay shows us that the new sram groups are called X0 and XX, the 1 in the name is gone...

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-31 um 19.11.46.png?VersionId=PQjH

the release of the transition relay shows us that the new sram groups are called X0 and XX, the 1 in the name is gone. guess an official release is imminent.

Kango wrote:

Seems about right. The leaked photos of the new AXS drivetrain shows just XX on the derailleur. 

krabo83 wrote:
the new carbon cranks jack moir had on later last season also just said XX. my guess is xx is staying carbon and x0 are going...

the new carbon cranks jack moir had on later last season also just said XX.

my guess is xx is staying carbon and x0 are going alu only as their high end enduro/trail group that can take a beating. kinda funny if they stay with carbon x01 DH group.

Do you have pictures of the new carbon cranks? 

krabo83
2/2/2023 2:00am
sluette wrote:

Do you have pictures of the new carbon cranks? 

must‘ve been posted in here if i‘m not mistaken, just search the thread. they were mostly black with small XX branding.

sluette
2/2/2023 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2023 12:47pm

New Demo on the last picture …

FullSend
Fantasy
1111th
2/2/2023 1:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2023 5:32am

The FRAMEWORKS project enters its next phase!

Side note: Interesting how there's basically only 3 truly no-bullshit race bikes left on the market and all three of them were designed at least in part by Dan Roberts.

2/2/2023 1:12pm

"there's basically only 3 truly focused, purpose-driven, no-bullshit race bikes left on the market"

[citation needed]

TannerVal
2/2/2023 3:54pm
FullSend wrote:
  The FRAMEWORKS project enters its next phase! Side note: Interesting how there's basically only 3 truly no-bullshit race bikes left on the market and all...

Side note: Interesting how there's basically only 3 truly no-bullshit race bikes left on the market and all three of them were designed at least in part by Dan Roberts.

Ooh a claim! And it’s baseless!

2/2/2023 4:34pm
FullSend wrote:
  The FRAMEWORKS project enters its next phase! Side note: Interesting how there's basically only 3 truly no-bullshit race bikes left on the market and all...

Side note: Interesting how there's basically only 3 Horst link vertical shock* bikes left on the market and all three of them were designed at least in part by Dan Roberts. Scott Gambler, RAAW DH and the Frameworks Prototype

*fixed

Onawalk
2/2/2023 8:05pm
FullSend wrote:

Demo?

Commencal Supreme?

Santa Cruz V-10?

Canyon Sender?

Mondraker Summon?

Trek Session (I think its the winningest DH bike)

Those bikes must all be for nonsense I guess…..

Onawalk
2/2/2023 8:06pm
FullSend wrote:

TannerVal wrote:

Ooh a claim! And it’s baseless!

I appreciate this comment!

2/2/2023 9:18pm
FullSend wrote:

Side note: Interesting how there's basically only 3 Horst link vertical shock* bikes left on the market and all three of them were designed at least...

Side note: Interesting how there's basically only 3 Horst link vertical shock* bikes left on the market and all three of them were designed at least in part by Dan Roberts. Scott Gambler, RAAW DH and the Frameworks Prototype

*fixed

32CE5C8D-9810-468A-8319-3A83A8460115

57C0A002-E961-4E14-862C-61497E1E12B9.jpeg?VersionId=n2

D9B69392-2D2B-4529-96EB-A6C03CB28B8E.jpeg?VersionId=y fou 

A9F7EF07-D70A-414A-B98A-40C8147FE9A0.jpeg?VersionId=PYA5PoFD2AOidMKxIxi0Qwe7P 

kuzlich
2/3/2023 1:08am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2023 4:50am

Few more pics of the new sram drivetrain. Cog attaches to the cranks via 6-bolt (like on a road cranks).

UPD: Sorry, I was asked to delete the pictures because the person who took them was warned off by his superiors. You know what I mean.

sluette
2/3/2023 1:43am
kuzlich wrote:
Few more pics of the new sram drivetrain. Cog attaches to the cranks via 6-bolt (like on a road cranks). UPD: Sorry, I was asked to...

Few more pics of the new sram drivetrain. Cog attaches to the cranks via 6-bolt (like on a road cranks).

UPD: Sorry, I was asked to delete the pictures because the person who took them was warned off by his superiors. You know what I mean.

But SRAM Roadbikes are running 8-Bolts cogs, right?

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
2/3/2023 1:47am

That shifter mounting is a step backwards... Fingers crossed a cable actuated group is also coming and that it will keep the old mounts (MMX). With those you could at least run them swapped over left to right and get a lot more adjustability along the handlebar.

parnifel
2/3/2023 2:12am
kuzlich wrote:
Few more pics of the new sram drivetrain. Cog attaches to the cranks via 6-bolt (like on a road cranks). UPD: Sorry, I was asked to...

Great pictures and thanks for the update. Still, my question is with big rock strikes..if this system (without UDH) gets bent outta shape - its gonna get expensive. Might even stretch that this direct mount option will be wrecking frames..

kcy4130
2/3/2023 3:45am

Great photos kuzlich! Can't be long now. The narrow edges of the crank arm (around the cutout) look kinda sharp. Not very shoe rub or ankle friendly, but hard to be sure with just a photo.

And I agree with primoz, I hope they don't abandon cable actuation on high end models. Correct me if wrong, but so far I don't think we've seen any leaked photos of a cable actuated trunnion mount derailleur. They might just release it in high end axs only groups first before trickling down to cable versions and gx and below in a year or so. Seems like that's what they've done in the past. 

sluette
2/3/2023 3:55am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2023 3:55am

Somewhere and at some point there was a report on MTB-News.de where a SRAM employee states that they no longer develop any cable-operated rear derailleurs. 

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
2/3/2023 4:41am

Correct, we haven't. I would love to see X0 in cable actuated form too. I'm buying it in the spring if it's available. If not... Not sure what to do. 

kuzlich
2/3/2023 5:11am
sluette wrote:

But SRAM Roadbikes are running 8-Bolts cogs, right?

Yes, that's right, 8 bolts, my mistake.

Onawalk
2/3/2023 6:19am
Primoz wrote:
Correct, we haven't. I would love to see X0 in cable actuated form too. I'm buying it in the spring if it's available. If not... Not...

Correct, we haven't. I would love to see X0 in cable actuated form too. I'm buying it in the spring if it's available. If not... Not sure what to do. 

It’s not like you couldn’t just buy the previous version, or continue to ride what you have, or buy the step below….it’s not like Sram has stopped production on electricity, these are mtb parts we are talking about here.

man we live a pretty sweet life if this is our biggest concern going into the season

2/3/2023 6:32am
parnifel wrote:
Great pictures and thanks for the update. Still, my question is with big rock strikes..if this system (without UDH) gets bent outta shape - its gonna...

Great pictures and thanks for the update. Still, my question is with big rock strikes..if this system (without UDH) gets bent outta shape - its gonna get expensive. Might even stretch that this direct mount option will be wrecking frames..

There will be a replacement part of some sort that has the functionionality as a traditional hanger. Probably the upper connection down until the parallelogram

Uncle Cliffy
2/3/2023 6:45am
kuzlich wrote:

I can still see the photos from your post in my email, so I’ll just say this: that derailer is incredibly  slim. Pretty amazing. Definitely looks like they are in a lower gear, but this is the skinniest derailleur I’ve ever seen. I’m sure they’ll post some marketing jargon/analysis of how unlikely rock strikes are now… I’m imagining some precise shifting too considering there’s zero flex with that mounting design.

I sure hope they carry it on with a cable actuated design. If not, I guess that’s the new industry trend now, eh? That Bold Unplugged bike for instance… Unsure

sluette
2/3/2023 6:45am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2023 6:45am
parnifel wrote:
Great pictures and thanks for the update. Still, my question is with big rock strikes..if this system (without UDH) gets bent outta shape - its gonna...

There will be a replacement part of some sort that has the functionionality as a traditional hanger. Probably the upper connection down until the parallelogram

Yes, those replacement parts are called UDH hanger and they are allready available! Laughing

chriskief
Fantasy
224th
2/3/2023 6:46am
kuzlich wrote:

Looks like this post was a bit too spicy...

2/3/2023 6:54am
sluette wrote:

Somewhere and at some point there was a report on MTB-News.de where a SRAM employee states that they no longer develop any cable-operated rear derailleurs. 

I have heard essentially the same thing. Don't forget SRAM hasn't released a new cable-actuated road groupset since the launch of their wireless electronic road groupsets. Rumor has it that while the old stuff will remain in production for a while, SRAM will not be doing any new development on cable-actuated drivetrains going forward.

Oh, and re: the chainring mounting on the new crank--as far as I know SRAM has always used the 8-bolt pattern for their spider-based power meters. Suggests that there may be an integrated power meter option (again, as seen on the road side) for those new high-end cranks. I hope they don't phase out the 3-bolt direct mount interface entirely, though. I much prefer it.

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
2/3/2023 7:37am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2023 7:39am
Primoz wrote:
Correct, we haven't. I would love to see X0 in cable actuated form too. I'm buying it in the spring if it's available. If not... Not...

Onawalk wrote:
It’s not like you couldn’t just buy the previous version, or continue to ride what you have, or buy the step below….it’s not like Sram has...

It’s not like you couldn’t just buy the previous version, or continue to ride what you have, or buy the step below….it’s not like Sram has stopped production on electricity, these are mtb parts we are talking about here.

man we live a pretty sweet life if this is our biggest concern going into the season

I'm running a 2019 X01 drivetrain (with a GX crank so I have an aluminium crank, not a carbon one, intentionally). I went for the X01 at the time because I also got the X01 cassette with it (and a GX chain, but after a plate snapping in half on it after 2 months, I upgraded to an X01 and stayed there up to this day). After 4 years, after over 300 000 meters of vertical ascending and over 400 000 meters of vertical descending I'm running the original shifter (not a surprise to be honest) and the original derailleur on original jockey wheels (opened up, cleaned up and regreased a few times, at least once a year). And the original cassette (and front chainring). I've also heard quite a few anecdotal experiences about GX derailleurs getting loose and not shifting properly after a year or two.

Yeah, I could run the old stuff, but I have the old stuff. I doubt GX will be presented together with X0 and XX which means a delay in getting it (on a new bike of course). And I sincerely doubt the old X01 derailleur, even the refreshed one for the 52T cassette (mine is a 50T model, otherwise I'd use mine), will work with the new chain considering it's a flat top. At least not without modifying the pulleys a bit.

So yeah, doubt getting the 'old' version is an option (running the current 52T cassette is a fscking no-go with that 42-52 jump), running the current stuff is not an option in the long term (new bike day and all, plus the stuff on the current bike is getting HELLA worn out) and I doubt running a lower tier is an option too as I've said above Smile
Also, running AXS is a very unfavourable option. I see ZERO benefits in not running a cable (a slight benefit is a cleaner cockpit, but considering I remove one of the four cables/housings... big whoop).

Karabuka
Fantasy
3075th
2/3/2023 11:34am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2023 11:35am

I'm already looking forward to the price bump caused by AXS on every bike, happy times ahead!

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest