MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
TimBud
Fantasy
860th
1/11/2023 10:10pm

That box is just standard oem packaging for the charger and batteries. 

Kango
1/12/2023 12:13am
TimBud wrote:

That box is just standard oem packaging for the charger and batteries. 

You're correct. It is a "AXS Power Pack".

JohSch
1/12/2023 1:52am
gbcoke wrote:

A real shame as their just rebranded R-Raymon bikes,which is not one of the more interesting brands 

in the biz (and that's a compliment)...

Home | PIERER Mobility AG 

Is the company owning all these brand names. 

The Husqvarna, GASGAS and R Raymon bikes are all the same seemingly bought in frames from asian manufacturer´s catalogues, combined with small bearings and subpar suspension performance from my experience.

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
1/12/2023 8:01am
iceman2058 wrote:
Could be nothing, but that box/foam just doesn't look like something that SRAM would ship their top-of-the-line wireless shifting system in...what are the chances this came...

Could be nothing, but that box/foam just doesn't look like something that SRAM would ship their top-of-the-line wireless shifting system in...what are the chances this came straight off AliExpress?

Kango wrote:

It definitely is quite a bit different than what their current packaging is like for all their components.

dolface wrote:
Couple of thoughts on that; 1. the visible edges of the box are the same red as the included literature and 2. SRAM has gotten a...

Couple of thoughts on that; 1. the visible edges of the box are the same red as the included literature and 2. SRAM has gotten a fair amount of blowback for the amount of waste (huge boxes, lots of plastic) their packaging generates so maybe they are trying to address that?

I wasn't able to get the QR code to work either...

If the foam was actually paper mache, then it would be something. This foam is worse than the blown plastic trays they use now.

dolface
Fantasy
594th
1/12/2023 8:06am
Primoz wrote:

If the foam was actually paper mache, then it would be something. This foam is worse than the blown plastic trays they use now.

I didn't say it was a GOOD attempt... Laughing

Big Bird
1/12/2023 9:37am
Primoz wrote:

There does exist packing foam made out of corn that dissolves in water. 

1/12/2023 10:08am

Transition just posted that its Relay e-bike is almost ready to be completely unveiled, with availability scheduled for March. I'm hopeful we will get a test bike in the near future because the removable battery design and Fazua Ride60 System look very exciting. 

Here is teaser video from last June - 

sethimus
Fantasy
2408th
1/12/2023 10:26am
gbcoke wrote:

A real shame as their just rebranded R-Raymon bikes,which is not one of the more interesting brands 

in the biz (and that's a compliment)...

JohSch wrote:
Home | PIERER Mobility AG  Is the company owning all these brand names.  The Husqvarna, GASGAS and R Raymon bikes are all the same seemingly bought...

Home | PIERER Mobility AG 

Is the company owning all these brand names. 

The Husqvarna, GASGAS and R Raymon bikes are all the same seemingly bought in frames from asian manufacturer´s catalogues, combined with small bearings and subpar suspension performance from my experience.

that’s as close a one can get to a „real“ ktm bike…

bulletbass man
Fantasy
194th
1/12/2023 10:30am
Transition just posted that its Relay e-bike is almost ready to be completely unveiled, with availability scheduled for March. I'm hopeful we will get a test...

Transition just posted that its Relay e-bike is almost ready to be completely unveiled, with availability scheduled for March. I'm hopeful we will get a test bike in the near future because the removable battery design and Fazua Ride60 System look very exciting. 

Here is teaser video from last June - 

Well I was gonna get a pit bike but maybe I’ll just commute to work on one of those.

jonkranked
Fantasy
824th
1/12/2023 10:46am
Primoz wrote:

industry term for "paper mache" is "molded pulp tray" 

1/12/2023 3:50pm
Primoz wrote:

jonkranked wrote:

industry term for "paper mache" is "molded pulp tray" 

I think I saw paper mache and Molded pulp tray supporting NOFX 🙂

bt006shreds
Fantasy
135th
1/12/2023 9:17pm

image 123986672

New DH Marin? There was mentions of it a while ago, and now must finally be in testing

metadave
Fantasy
2288th
1/12/2023 9:30pm
 New DH Marin? There was mentions of it a while ago, and now must finally be in testing

image 123986672

Given that Marin is killing it in both geo, looks and price lately I'd be interested in seeing one. 

Oli_C
Fantasy
1505th
1/13/2023 2:05am

Curious what Roskopp's big e-bike developement is that he sayed is possibly a few years away on the Pink podcast. Later in the interview he talks about hybrid cars & hydrogen powered cars. Is he talking about an ebike with a different power source to huge heavy lithium batteries?

Mugen
Fantasy
1851st
1/13/2023 2:22am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2023 7:32am
Oli_C wrote:
Curious what Roskopp's big e-bike developement is that he sayed is possibly a few years away on the Pink podcast. Later in the interview he talks...

Curious what Roskopp's big e-bike developement is that he sayed is possibly a few years away on the Pink podcast. Later in the interview he talks about hybrid cars & hydrogen powered cars. Is he talking about an ebike with a different power source to huge heavy lithium batteries?

That is certainly how I interpreted it. The Tesla comment was very weird, absolutely nothing indicates they are going towards hydrogen.

My complete guess, is that some California startup has approached him with promises of a lightweight battery tech that probably works in their lab at a huge cost which they hope to make cheaper eventually. Unfortunately, there are tons of similar announcements on a weekly basis when you follow tech news, but commercial batteries only improve very slowly.

My prediction: it will be outrageously expensive. But I still very much look forward to 1000Wh 20kg enduro e-bikes one day.

nskerb
1/13/2023 8:04am
Oli_C wrote:
Curious what Roskopp's big e-bike developement is that he sayed is possibly a few years away on the Pink podcast. Later in the interview he talks...

Considering how he praised heavy e-bikes I definitely don't think so.

That whole interview was just a 30 minute self-fellating session for that rob guy. Disgruntled ex-employee: "I got big things coming man just wait, I cant say nothin, but its gonna be huge, game changer" 

sharpy212
Fantasy
1024th
1/13/2023 8:28am
Oli_C wrote:

Also been thinking about this. But he did say he was wondering why it hadn’t already been thought about.

Could possibly be electric geometry change, a climb and descend powered of the motor… 

e-motor with built in gears.. 

e-motor with a alternator

carbon fibre layers infused with solar panels. 

who knows…. Time will tell. But it seems to be where the big push is happening. 

PisgahGnar
Fantasy
1688th
1/13/2023 8:41am
Oli_C wrote:

sharpy212 wrote:
Also been thinking about this. But he did say he was wondering why it hadn’t already been thought about. Could possibly be electric geometry change, a...

Also been thinking about this. But he did say he was wondering why it hadn’t already been thought about.

Could possibly be electric geometry change, a climb and descend powered of the motor… 

His whole idea about hydrogen powered cars is bizarre. Tesla is not researching this at all. Honestly I wonder what ideas he was bringing up to the new SC leadership that were continuously shot down. We may never get the other side of the story but I bet there is one. This is not to say I'm an apologist for Pon, but I'm not sure exactly where Robs head is right now. 

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
1/13/2023 9:17am

husqy PR for new ebikes

113001 Mountain Cross MC6.jpg?VersionId=JtRZoSjWLm32mM17tGbJyRSIP JL.Yf

HUSQVARNA E-BICYCLES UNVEILS ALL-NEW MOUNTAIN CROSS RANGE

HUSQVARNA’S VERSATILE, RIDER-CENTRIC MOUNTAIN CROSS RANGE IS EQUALLY AT HOME AND CAPABLE CLIMBING OR DESCENDING

With rider-focused engineering and technical refinement, Husqvarna E-Bicycles has just released the details of its all-new Mountain Cross range of EMTBs.
 113003 Mountain Cross MC5
The Mountain Cross range encourages epic days in the saddle and offers 150mm of suspension travel, a versatile 29/27.5” wheel set, large output Shimano EP8 motors and large capacity batteries—all without sacrificing lightweight flickability. With the Mountain Cross 4 already starting to arrive in Husqvarna dealers, the range will be broadened to include the entry-level Mountain Cross 2, Mountain Cross 5 and the Mountain Cross 6, all set to arrive later throughout 2023.

The heart of any EMTB is of course its frame and the Mountain Cross 4, 5, and 6 all feature a new lightweight carbon frameset with a number of innovative features which ensure clean battery and motor integration as well as class-leading aesthetics.

The entirety of the Mountain Cross line was compelled by what Husqvarna engineers termed the “Intuitive Dynamic Rider” concept—namely that the bike should be an intuitive tool regardless of the rider’s skill or the terrain, providing direct feedback in every situation and delivering a predictable, confidence-inspiring ride experience. In order to achieve this a new saddle position was developed which positions the rider lower and more centrally over the bike which now has longer chainstays, a lower bottom bracket, and a slightly raised handlebar position.

123792 Mountain Cross MC2

Also integral to the range is an all-new supportive dynamic chassis designed for drivetrain efficiency. Stiff and lightweight, this converts the rider’s pedaling force into forward momentum and agility that can be felt on the trail. With serviceability and longevity in mind, all of the rear triangles of the new Mountain Cross range employ the same interchangeable bearings, axels, and screw fittings, translating to fewer spare parts for both dealers and consumers and ensuring that damaged components can be easily replaced such that a customer can quickly return to the trail.

All-new Mountain Cross models feature free-standing motors, which are able to dissipate heat from every surface as well as batteries that dispel excess heat via an innovative ventilation grille on the head tube.  In conjunction, these cooling features prevent the unnecessary buildup of heat, which can result in a loss of power and reduction of range.

The Mountain Cross 2 features an entirely new aluminum frame, which weighs nearly 700g less than its predecessor and features internal cable routing and easily accessible charging port.

husqvarnaEbikeSpec.pmg .png?VersionId=CnaGMPrfiJA

Customers can find the first all-new Mountain Cross MC4 models in authorized dealers in the U.S. today and in Canada this Spring, with continued delivery of additional new models including the MC2, MC5 and MC6 throughout 2023.

For more information on the new range of Husqvarna E-Bicycles, contact your local authorized Husqvarna-E Bicycles dealer.

dolface
Fantasy
594th
1/13/2023 11:04am

image 123986672

Nailed it! 

TimBud
Fantasy
860th
1/13/2023 11:11am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2023 11:12am

Anyone know what mech that is?

From his stories:

3E03305D-44C6-4D99-AC09-82EE17A2640D

1/13/2023 11:25am
sharpy212 wrote:
Also been thinking about this. But he did say he was wondering why it hadn’t already been thought about. Could possibly be electric geometry change, a...

Motor with GB has been done, Valeo teamed up with Effigear if I am correct and they have a product ready to hit the market I believe. Don't know if any MTB company went with it yet but considering how eBikers go through transmissions it makes sense.

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
1/13/2023 1:40pm

Re gearbox and electric motor, I don't see a small shop getting onto that one. I think there's a reason e-bike middrive units are mostly made by automotive suppliers (and Shimano) as it's not a simple thing to make. Though, given the brands in the market, given the prices of the bikes (and subsequently the prices the units can command by my guesstimation) and the requirements (compared to the average automotive project regarding lifetime and temperature loads), I have NO idea what the hell is going on that we have so many failures. Bird guys are sitting on their e-bike as they can't get anything other than a Shimano unit in small quantities (small brand and all), but apparently they had 75 % failure rate in their testing and don't want to put a product on the market with that kind of reliability.

Add a gearbox to all of it and you're in a world of different hurt BESIDES having to deal with an electric motor, a torque sensor (the biggest PITA of the assembly), a control PCB and, most importantly, the software driving it all (the software defines how the drive unit reacts to torque inputs on the pedals, defines the smoothness of engagement and the like).

Losifer
Fantasy
1741st
1/13/2023 3:30pm

So, @boozed talked about sharing the new prototype Marin DH bike on here, so I thought I'd save them the effort!

This could be an awesome addition to the everyman's DH options.

Matt Jones' bike check.

TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
331st
1/13/2023 3:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2023 3:56pm

The full title for that vid is "IT'S FINALLY HERE!! THIS BIKE IS INSANE!! CAN'T BELIEVE A PURPOSE BUILT LONG TRAVEL DOWNHILL BIKE IS BETTER AT RIDING DOWNHILL THAN MY TRAIL BIKE BECAUSE THAT'S ALL I'VE BEEN RIDING!! WOW!!"

1/13/2023 5:03pm
Losifer wrote:
So, @boozed talked about sharing the new prototype Marin DH bike on here, so I thought I'd save them the effort! This could be an awesome...

So, @boozed talked about sharing the new prototype Marin DH bike on here, so I thought I'd save them the effort!

This could be an awesome addition to the everyman's DH options.

Matt Jones' bike check.

DA2440DA-6D92-4186-B0FF-40238004D2BC

B7F31475-5587-47CA-BDF5-7AC5B5CBC51A.jpeg?VersionId=e9ioKObZg4SjVDt1gVGNtzUI0QRlDWU

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest