MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
1/19/2023 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2023 1:51pm

santa cruz syndicate with new v10?

vid description says

"This is the eighth generation of V10, one of the most winningest downhill bikes of all time. What you see here is still very much in the prototype stages. This video series goes behind the scenes and shows the work that the team at Santa Cruz and the Syndicate put into this and other bikes. Episode one takes us back to just a few weeks after Greg Minnaar won the 2021 World Championship and went to work validating numerous test mules to decide the direction of the next bike. You might be surprised to hear that other suspension designs were tested before Greg settled on VPP™. The Syndicate will be racing this bike in 2023 and they will continue to develop it throughout the year. Future episodes will dive further into the process of making a world class downhill race bike. When will it go on sale? No time soon. This is development in plain site."

1/19/2023 1:47pm
sspomer wrote:
santa cruz syndicate with new v10?   vid description says "This is the eighth generation of V10, one of the most winningest downhill bikes of all...

santa cruz syndicate with new v10?

vid description says

"This is the eighth generation of V10, one of the most winningest downhill bikes of all time. What you see here is still very much in the prototype stages. This video series goes behind the scenes and shows the work that the team at Santa Cruz and the Syndicate put into this and other bikes. Episode one takes us back to just a few weeks after Greg Minnaar won the 2021 World Championship and went to work validating numerous test mules to decide the direction of the next bike. You might be surprised to hear that other suspension designs were tested before Greg settled on VPP™. The Syndicate will be racing this bike in 2023 and they will continue to develop it throughout the year. Future episodes will dive further into the process of making a world class downhill race bike. When will it go on sale? No time soon. This is development in plain site."

Mullet's for all except the largest one.

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
1/19/2023 2:00pm

v10 mule photo from video

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 2.59.27 PM.png?VersionId=eM3RzbE811qqVX7tx.2QAoY

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
1/19/2023 2:03pm

mid pivot v10 mule

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 3.03.24 PM

nskerb
1/19/2023 2:49pm

That last sentence of it still being in development, definitely looks production ready. Unless SC likes to just sink money into frame molds and rework them, which sounds like a horrible use of cash. 

I think showing the development side of stuff and not keeping it under wraps is the coolest thing a frame manufacturer can do. So this is objectively a good thing, but it is definitely not getting tweaked past adjustments in linkage. 

1/19/2023 3:18pm

Seems like a good time to bring these back up! Kudos to Santa Cruz for their transparency and feeding the tech rumors since 2008

lickmycrinkle
1/19/2023 4:58pm
nskerb wrote:
That last sentence of it still being in development, definitely looks production ready. Unless SC likes to just sink money into frame molds and rework them...

That last sentence of it still being in development, definitely looks production ready. Unless SC likes to just sink money into frame molds and rework them, which sounds like a horrible use of cash. 

I think showing the development side of stuff and not keeping it under wraps is the coolest thing a frame manufacturer can do. So this is objectively a good thing, but it is definitely not getting tweaked past adjustments in linkage. 

Well when you're selling bikes for €5600 with NX and Select level components (and you've got chads and dads left and right lapping them up), you've basically got money to burn.

metadave
Fantasy
2288th
1/19/2023 9:07pm
Screen capture from the video.    

V10 23.jpg?VersionId=cu1Arq9oSsfdM7gBV9XHxPRS1SqvmKt

Almost has og Rocky RMX vibes

713d2b45-7f15-4537-b848-31df4d2418ec

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
1/19/2023 10:32pm

Funny to see they put into the video that Mule A version1 was running Sram drivetrain under Greg...

fartsack
Fantasy
2137th
1/20/2023 12:45am

Rewatching thos 2009 videos after 14 years really brings back memories!! Back then watching the video made me drooling over the new steed. All i can think now is "gosh, those bikes look ridiculous!"

this was the last 26" dh bike that won a worldcup wasn't it?

1/20/2023 1:15am
fartsack wrote:
Rewatching thos 2009 videos after 14 years really brings back memories!! Back then watching the video made me drooling over the new steed. All i can...

Rewatching thos 2009 videos after 14 years really brings back memories!! Back then watching the video made me drooling over the new steed. All i can think now is "gosh, those bikes look ridiculous!"

this was the last 26" dh bike that won a worldcup wasn't it?

No, it was Ratboy on the 2014 bike. 

FullSend
Fantasy
1111th
1/20/2023 2:36am
  excentric headset cups on the new V10?

CC8C4EE5-67E2-48F9-B1B9-9EFE2876545B.png?VersionId=fMf0UB9jCbOflMVrjlrSyMpB a6cnw

excentric headset cups on the new V10?

They better be. Should be standard on literally every single bike in existence. So far only Canyon managed to get it right.

jofish
Fantasy
1999th
1/20/2023 3:17am
nskerb wrote:
That last sentence of it still being in development, definitely looks production ready. Unless SC likes to just sink money into frame molds and rework them...

Didn’t they use Danny’s trials bike as a test bed for prototyping (relatively) inexpensive carbon frames in house? Hopefully they’ll cover it in the next video. 

Isn’t it about time for the new saint groupset to start showing up? Looks like Laurie’s still on his old Shimanhope setup. 

Oli_C
Fantasy
1505th
1/20/2023 3:33am
jofish wrote:
Didn’t they use Danny’s trials bike as a test bed for prototyping (relatively) inexpensive carbon frames in house? Hopefully they’ll cover it in the next video. ...

Didn’t they use Danny’s trials bike as a test bed for prototyping (relatively) inexpensive carbon frames in house? Hopefully they’ll cover it in the next video. 

Isn’t it about time for the new saint groupset to start showing up? Looks like Laurie’s still on his old Shimanhope setup. 

In the Santa Cruz video 1 Gregs test bike had XO cranks & mech, & that was before the 22 season.

fleein_ian
1/20/2023 5:03am
Losifer wrote:

Trinity MTB has their derailleur in a box ready to test.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CniFM1yqqPW/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

Primoz wrote:

Really wondering what their wide range gearbox will look like. Supposedly something is in the works.

Losifer wrote:
Yeah, really curious how they're going to pull that off. Based on the clever way they're approaching this, I think this could be a major step...

Yeah, really curious how they're going to pull that off.

Based on the clever way they're approaching this, I think this could be a major step forward in removing the drivetrain mass from the unsprung mass.

Best attempt yet IMO. Lighter than your standard gearbox, less unsprung weight, uses more/less standard cogs, allows shifting under load, nifty freewheel systems for better shifting period. Some really clever stuff going on. And a hella lot simpler looking than Supre' drive.

Losifer
Fantasy
1741st
1/20/2023 6:56am
Primoz wrote:

Really wondering what their wide range gearbox will look like. Supposedly something is in the works.

Losifer wrote:
Yeah, really curious how they're going to pull that off. Based on the clever way they're approaching this, I think this could be a major step...

Yeah, really curious how they're going to pull that off.

Based on the clever way they're approaching this, I think this could be a major step forward in removing the drivetrain mass from the unsprung mass.

fleein_ian wrote:
Best attempt yet IMO. Lighter than your standard gearbox, less unsprung weight, uses more/less standard cogs, allows shifting under load, nifty freewheel systems for better shifting...

Best attempt yet IMO. Lighter than your standard gearbox, less unsprung weight, uses more/less standard cogs, allows shifting under load, nifty freewheel systems for better shifting period. Some really clever stuff going on. And a hella lot simpler looking than Supre' drive.

They’re using SRAM NX cassette cogs on this, it would seem like an easy ask for SunRace/MicroShift to produce cassettes specifically for this system.

1/20/2023 9:45am

V10 23.jpg?VersionId=cu1Arq9oSsfdM7gBV9XHxPRS1SqvmKt

metadave wrote:

713d2b45-7f15-4537-b848-31df4d2418ec

Absolutely feeling the exact same way. Or even Brooklyn machine works with the tubes going everywhere? 
kinda prefer the last, but 100 percent prefer the aluminum v3: 694C3D7D-1ACF-4C9C-BD3E-CC9C16BAD088

grambo
1/20/2023 11:49am
nskerb wrote:

jofish wrote:
Didn’t they use Danny’s trials bike as a test bed for prototyping (relatively) inexpensive carbon frames in house? Hopefully they’ll cover it in the next video. ...

Same thought re: Saint. How many years is it now since we've seen what look like production ready cranks and derailleurs? Not that the current stuff is bad, just odd how long it is taking. I guess combo of COVID supply/manufacturing hangover, Shimano fires and now fear of oversupplied inventory/write-downs/liquidity going into a downturn.

O1D4
Fantasy
842nd
1/20/2023 1:17pm
nskerb wrote:

jofish wrote:

grambo wrote:
Same thought re: Saint. How many years is it now since we've seen what look like production ready cranks and derailleurs? Not that the current stuff...

Same thought re: Saint. How many years is it now since we've seen what look like production ready cranks and derailleurs? Not that the current stuff is bad, just odd how long it is taking. I guess combo of COVID supply/manufacturing hangover, Shimano fires and now fear of oversupplied inventory/write-downs/liquidity going into a downturn.

Have there been any sightings/rumors of updated Saint brakes at all?

jonkranked
Fantasy
824th
1/20/2023 1:37pm
grambo wrote:
Same thought re: Saint. How many years is it now since we've seen what look like production ready cranks and derailleurs? Not that the current stuff...

saint M820 was launched in 2012. so closing in on 11 years. fun fact: it is now the longest running shimano groupset (including road). next longest is Ultegra 6500, launched '97 updated '05 (~8 years)

TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
331st
1/20/2023 2:44pm

Saint holds the record for a product series, although I'll add there are certain individual products that have been in the Shimano catalog forever, like the PD-M520 non-series pedals (2003?) and PD-M647 DX pedals (2006?) and the Dura Ace downtube shifters (Civil War?).

metadave
Fantasy
2288th
1/20/2023 11:49pm
TEAMROBOT wrote:
Saint holds the record for a product series, although I'll add there are certain individual products that have been in the Shimano catalog forever, like the...

Saint holds the record for a product series, although I'll add there are certain individual products that have been in the Shimano catalog forever, like the PD-M520 non-series pedals (2003?) and PD-M647 DX pedals (2006?) and the Dura Ace downtube shifters (Civil War?).

As someone who still used dura ace downtube shifters, civil war tech is still ok

gibbon
1/21/2023 6:25am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2023 6:28am
TEAMROBOT wrote:
Saint holds the record for a product series, although I'll add there are certain individual products that have been in the Shimano catalog forever, like the...

DXR was launched for the inaugural bmx at the olympics in 2008 and Dura Ace 7710 (track) is older than the hills (1996).

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest