2018 Racing Rumors

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
6/18/2018 8:35am
I agree on that part, of course. Special occasion stuff makes a brand much more interesting, like the orange lowers of FOX forks and the red lowers of the new Boxxer and Lyrik (i want a red Lyrik RC2! Smile ). Honestly, i'm surprised the factory Sram support has gotten down to only engraved names on the brake levers, given the custom stickers in the days of 32 mm Boxxers. What else did Sram used to do custom for their riders?
grinch
Fantasy
246th
6/18/2018 3:15pm
Maybe canyon is after the throwback market. That proto looks like it uses the same construction methods/design as Palmers fsr dh bike circa mid 90’s. Canyon seems to have their numbers and kinematic dialed and all their racers are doing well on them but those are some ugly lines and cobby industrial looking constructions. Detail and smooth lines are seriously lacking
6/18/2018 11:34pm
grinch wrote:
Maybe canyon is after the throwback market. That proto looks like it uses the same construction methods/design as Palmers fsr dh bike circa mid 90’s. Canyon...
Maybe canyon is after the throwback market. That proto looks like it uses the same construction methods/design as Palmers fsr dh bike circa mid 90’s. Canyon seems to have their numbers and kinematic dialed and all their racers are doing well on them but those are some ugly lines and cobby industrial looking constructions. Detail and smooth lines are seriously lacking
Because the bike is a test mule, an actual prototype. While they have the kinematics dialed on their 27.5 Sender, the 29er version needs to be double and triple checked by the racers before carbon molds are launched. I'll be dollars to donuts this bike (as it is) will never see the light of day production wise and a polished carbon version will hit the market because every other Canyon bike has an absurd level of attention given to its industrial design. This proto is far too thrown together to be a finished design.
oliosky
6/19/2018 1:11am
nikos023 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/19/6436/s1200_1D77991E_A302_4678_A26E_975AEE57E07B.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/19/6435/s1200_267AACF1_7802_4835_A271_18765341BC95.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/19/6434/s1200_E8062098_62A6_4B1B_94A9_15B67C6146F4.jpg[/img]

Why does that kid not have shoes?
Maxipedia
Fantasy
1469th
6/19/2018 2:45am
oliosky wrote:
Maybe Specialized sued him because he wrote the name of one of their models on them with no explicit written permission. Smile
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
6/19/2018 12:00pm
Can we not quote pictures? Thanks.
grinch
Fantasy
246th
6/19/2018 8:36pm
grinch wrote:
Maybe canyon is after the throwback market. That proto looks like it uses the same construction methods/design as Palmers fsr dh bike circa mid 90’s. Canyon...
Because the bike is a test mule, an [i]actual[/i] prototype. While they have the kinematics dialed on their 27.5 Sender, the 29er version needs to be...
Because the bike is a test mule, an actual prototype. While they have the kinematics dialed on their 27.5 Sender, the 29er version needs to be double and triple checked by the racers before carbon molds are launched. I'll be dollars to donuts this bike (as it is) will never see the light of day production wise and a polished carbon version will hit the market because every other Canyon bike has an absurd level of attention given to its industrial design. This proto is far too thrown together to be a finished design.
Yes you’re probably right. I like their line up. Wouldn’t mind a tourque. Sender 27.5 doesn’t have the cleanest lines though. Link looks unfinished compared to others and tubes could use more shape especially the seat and chainstays. Just comparing to YT, specialized, Santa Cruz. Sender does seem to work well though
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
6/21/2018 6:11am
loic riding the specialized demo 29er today in les gets. he has jack racing's data acq on it and from these photos by sven martin and dan hearn, his style isn't hampered one bit.

6/21/2018 6:21am
Wonder why he is riding a Maxxis dhf and dhr II tires, when specialized has already updated butcher even in 29" size, if I am not mistaken
tmano2
Fantasy
2098th
6/21/2018 6:28am
Wonder why he is riding a Maxxis dhf and dhr II tires, when specialized has already updated butcher even in 29" size, if I am not...
Wonder why he is riding a Maxxis dhf and dhr II tires, when specialized has already updated butcher even in 29" size, if I am not mistaken
They only have the grid casing. Not the full Dh one
tubeofcaulk
6/21/2018 8:41am
sspomer wrote:
loic riding the specialized demo 29er today in les gets. he has jack racing's data acq on it and from these photos by sven martin and...
loic riding the specialized demo 29er today in les gets. he has jack racing's data acq on it and from these photos by sven martin and dan hearn, his style isn't hampered one bit.

That really does look like a transverse mounted equilink suspension (like what Felt uses on the Compulsion)
6/21/2018 10:19am
That really does look like a transverse mounted equilink suspension (like what Felt uses on the Compulsion)
it does but id be really surprised if it was, the equilink is used to comment the upper and lower half of the rear triangle to increase pedalling effiecncy. something a 29er Dh rig shouldn't care about
kwapik
6/21/2018 11:03am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2018 11:04am
bturman wrote:
The Enduro World Series has signed an agreement with the UCI. Rainbow jerseys will be awarded in 2019 and there's talk of anti-doping policies being put...
The Enduro World Series has signed an agreement with the UCI. Rainbow jerseys will be awarded in 2019 and there's talk of anti-doping policies being put into place.

Read more: https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Enduro-World-Series-to-Work…
Crap! We don't need the UCI screwing with a great racing series.

What does everybody else think about this?
DubC
Fantasy
3081st
6/21/2018 11:30am
Interesting how there is so much focus on the anti doping part of this. hummmmm
MPH24
6/21/2018 2:19pm
DubC wrote:
Interesting how there is so much focus on the anti doping part of this. hummmmm
Yeah it does, but f you're going to have a professional sport it probably needs to happen. Its not like cycling has the best reputation here. I think running an anti-doping program is really hard and would be a big ask for the current EWS crew to do on there own. I think it makes sense to reach out and work with the UCI here... I really hope this doesn't change the EWS vibe though
tubeofcaulk
6/21/2018 4:38pm
it does but id be really surprised if it was, the equilink is used to comment the upper and lower half of the rear triangle to...
it does but id be really surprised if it was, the equilink is used to comment the upper and lower half of the rear triangle to increase pedalling effiecncy. something a 29er Dh rig shouldn't care about
Well, it’s a linkage design that allows them to very closely control wheel path (and, therefore, anti squat values). There’s no inherent reason they would focus on pedal efficiency. Similar to the way knolly focuses on tightly controlling leverage ratio at the shock, this is a way of altering/fine tuning leverage ratio at the wheel path (which requires an extra linkage without a fixed triangle)
thejake
6/21/2018 4:44pm
sspomer wrote:
loic riding the specialized demo 29er today in les gets. he has jack racing's data acq on it and from these photos by sven martin and...

It really looks like an FSR design with linkage driving the shock.
slimshady
6/21/2018 4:53pm
sspomer wrote:

thejake wrote:
It's just a beefed up version of the Canyon Sender. Longer links, lower shock, that's all.
tubeofcaulk
6/21/2018 4:59pm
thejake wrote:
slimshady wrote:
It's just a beefed up version of the Canyon Sender. Longer links, lower shock, that's all.
I’d agree. I just can’t see white clear enough on my phone to decipher where the linkage is articulating from.
literally
Fantasy
4046th
6/21/2018 8:07pm
I’d agree. I just can’t see white clear enough on my phone to decipher where the linkage is articulating from.
from the same pivot as the chainstay.
LLLLL
6/22/2018 12:31am
bturman wrote:
The Enduro World Series has signed an agreement with the UCI. Rainbow jerseys will be awarded in 2019 and there's talk of anti-doping policies being put...
The Enduro World Series has signed an agreement with the UCI. Rainbow jerseys will be awarded in 2019 and there's talk of anti-doping policies being put into place.

Read more: https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Enduro-World-Series-to-Work…
kwapik wrote:

Ews will run the race series and uci will accredited it and run the dope testing. Uci will not be running the races. Proper way to do things, dope testing is hard..
6/22/2018 12:49am
nikos023 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/19/6436/s1200_1D77991E_A302_4678_A26E_975AEE57E07B.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/19/6435/s1200_267AACF1_7802_4835_A271_18765341BC95.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/06/19/6434/s1200_E8062098_62A6_4B1B_94A9_15B67C6146F4.jpg[/img]

oliosky wrote:
Will Loic have to mange le pie humble? I think 29 will suit him
fun house
Fantasy
2282nd
6/22/2018 12:51am
What's everyone think of the EWS world champs format? Seems kind of odd to me on first thought. Do any other disciplines do it that way? (top 3 riders from each nation race together in the championships, and the nation with the lowest combined time wins)

What about mechanicals etc? Who will race with Sam? What Nation has the best shot?
tmano2
Fantasy
2098th
6/22/2018 2:12am
bturman wrote:

kwapik wrote:

LLLLL wrote:
Ews will run the race series and uci will accredited it and run the dope testing. Uci will not be running the races. Proper way to...
Ews will run the race series and uci will accredited it and run the dope testing. Uci will not be running the races. Proper way to do things, dope testing is hard..
probably it will be like national dh races that give uci points, the uci acredites it, but they don't run the show
Dave_Camp
Fantasy
76th
6/22/2018 6:51am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2018 6:51am
fun house wrote:
What's everyone think of the EWS world champs format? Seems kind of odd to me on first thought. Do any other disciplines do it that way...
What's everyone think of the EWS world champs format? Seems kind of odd to me on first thought. Do any other disciplines do it that way? (top 3 riders from each nation race together in the championships, and the nation with the lowest combined time wins)

What about mechanicals etc? Who will race with Sam? What Nation has the best shot?
France- Damien Oton, Adrien Dailly, about 8 other super fast guys

USA- Richie Rude, Marco Osborne, Mitch R? Curtis? Neer?

Australia- Sam Hill, Josh Carlson, ????

Bob Chicken
6/22/2018 7:49am
fun house wrote:
What's everyone think of the EWS world champs format? Seems kind of odd to me on first thought. Do any other disciplines do it that way...

Dave_Camp wrote:

Graves.

Kiwi AKA NZ team would be pretty stacked too....
Dave_Camp
Fantasy
76th
6/22/2018 8:17am
crap- forgot Graves! Yeah NZ would be stacked too. Could be a cool race- we will see!
LTrumpore
6/22/2018 8:46am
fun house wrote:

Dave_Camp wrote:

Canada could be up ther too. Jesse, Remi, Mckay.

A lot can change a whole season from now, but if I were a betting man I’d give France the edge, with US and Canada battling it out close behind. Aussies a wild card.

Looking forward to seeing what sort of strategy teams use. A bit different when you don’t have to risk as much riding for the individual win. Consistency and finishing close together as opposed to outright speed and risking mechanicals. But most racers aren’t wired that way so it’ll be interesting to how they approach this kind of format.

Post a reply to: 2018 Racing Rumors

The Latest