2018 Racing Rumors

LTrumpore
4/24/2018 4:31am
Maxipedia wrote:
Cheers for the answer, Lee! But I am still a tad surprised that there wasn't much branding visible on all that kit... Thanks for the beautiful...
Cheers for the answer, Lee! But I am still a tad surprised that there wasn't much branding visible on all that kit...

Thanks for the beautiful pictures,
Mx
Cheers man, thanks.

A few of the media squids had the same impression with a few kits and branding. Fox really seems to have it sorted out with bright blocks of colors and large, bold logos and graphics that are instantly recognizable. A few others are quite a bit busy looking and hard to separate from the crowd.
watchcwgo
4/27/2018 7:55am
Haven’t seen this yet, JC running some “NSW” rims , the nsw naming has been used by Zipp on their highest end wheelsets, which make enves seem cheap. Safe bet some new sram wheels are in the works.
Rems
4/27/2018 2:47pm
Well, there was an insta teasing with JC and Roppo about a new wheel/tire product.Considering their common sponsor (Sram/rockshox) and this story post I would believe too to some new high end offering from sram.

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
4/30/2018 9:31am
LOL about the parking spaces. lopes & ibis launch american enduro team
-----------------------------
Lopes Launches Ibis US Enduro Team
Ibis clears out a couple of parking spots and welcomes Brian Lopes back into the fold.

Four time UCI World Champion, and winner of almost every kind of bike race you can think of , Brian Lopes has partnered with Ibis Cycles to launch a US domestic enduro racing team, along with support from DVO Suspension, G-Form Protection, WTB Tires and Saddles, ODI Grips, Wolf Tooth Components, Fox Racing, and Dynaplug.
From 2008 through 2013 Lopes was an Ibis sponsored athlete, and now he returns in a new role as a team manager. The team is focused on contesting the California Enduro Series (CES), as well as some of the EWS Continental events. The roster includes: Evan Geankoplis 26, winner of the 2016 CES, and 2017 runner-up; Essence Barton 25, 2nd Overall in CES for both 2017 and 2016; rounding out the squad will be former U18 CES Champion, Paul Serra 18; and Lili Heim 17.

According to Lopes:
“Tom [Ibis President, Tom Morgan] and I were talking, and he said that he was interested in starting a domestic racing team to compliment their EWS team, but that he didn’t have the bandwidth the manage both and Ibis. I’ve been working with athletes as a coach for a few years now and thought that it would be a way to share my experience with some younger riders and reconnect with Ibis.”

According to Morgan:
“We didn’t stop being friends when he stopped riding for Ibis. We’ve always stayed in touch and when the opportunity to work together again came up it just made so much sense. Working with our EWS team over the past few years has made it clear that we needed some way to search for and develop younger riders, and I don’t think there’s anyone who could better prepare young rider for the rigors of racing at the highest level than Brian.”

Asked about riding for Ibis under the guidance of a legend like Lopes, Geankoplis said:
“I’ve worked at an Ibis dealer for over 5 years, and since the beginning of working with and riding Ibis has been a dream of mine. And I couldn't imagine having a better team manger than Brian Lopes. The guy has as much or more experience than anyone in the sport and is always there for us.”

The team has already made its presence felt with Geankoplis winning the DVO Winter Gravity Series Enduro at Bootleg Canyon, Barton taking 2nd in the Women’s Pro Enduro at the Sea Otter Classic, and Heim winning the U18 Sea Otter enduro race. Look for them to continue slaying the field starting with CES #1 at Toro Park on May 26th.
bizutch
Fantasy
655th
4/30/2018 10:38am
sspomer wrote:
LOL about the parking spaces. lopes & ibis launch american enduro team ----------------------------- [b]Lopes Launches Ibis US Enduro Team[/b] [i]Ibis clears out a couple of parking...
Ibis clears out a couple of parking spots and welcomes Brian Lopes back into the fold.

Four time UCI World Champion, and winner of almost every kind of bike race you can think of , Brian Lopes has partnered with Ibis Cycles to launch a US domestic enduro racing team, along with support from DVO Suspension, G-Form Protection, WTB Tires and Saddles, ODI Grips, Wolf Tooth Components, Fox Racing, and Dynaplug.
From 2008 through 2013 Lopes was an Ibis sponsored athlete, and now he returns in a new role as a team manager. The team is focused on contesting the California Enduro Series (CES), as well as some of the EWS Continental events. The roster includes: Evan Geankoplis 26, winner of the 2016 CES, and 2017 runner-up; Essence Barton 25, 2nd Overall in CES for both 2017 and 2016; rounding out the squad will be former U18 CES Champion, Paul Serra 18; and Lili Heim 17.

According to Lopes:
“Tom [Ibis President, Tom Morgan] and I were talking, and he said that he was interested in starting a domestic racing team to compliment their EWS team, but that he didn’t have the bandwidth the manage both and Ibis. I’ve been working with athletes as a coach for a few years now and thought that it would be a way to share my experience with some younger riders and reconnect with Ibis.”

According to Morgan:
“We didn’t stop being friends when he stopped riding for Ibis. We’ve always stayed in touch and when the opportunity to work together again came up it just made so much sense. Working with our EWS team over the past few years has made it clear that we needed some way to search for and develop younger riders, and I don’t think there’s anyone who could better prepare young rider for the rigors of racing at the highest level than Brian.”

Asked about riding for Ibis under the guidance of a legend like Lopes, Geankoplis said:
“I’ve worked at an Ibis dealer for over 5 years, and since the beginning of working with and riding Ibis has been a dream of mine. And I couldn't imagine having a better team manger than Brian Lopes. The guy has as much or more experience than anyone in the sport and is always there for us.”

The team has already made its presence felt with Geankoplis winning the DVO Winter Gravity Series Enduro at Bootleg Canyon, Barton taking 2nd in the Women’s Pro Enduro at the Sea Otter Classic, and Heim winning the U18 Sea Otter enduro race. Look for them to continue slaying the field starting with CES #1 at Toro Park on May 26th.
So competitive he even throws his hand over the girls foot in the splits. "Get that outta here!" ;-)

I just wish he'd commit to a full play on his bad guy status and be in the pic taking up 2 spaces, up on the curb looking raged out with his shirt off and about 700 Oakley logos tattooed on his chest pushing an old lady off her wheelchair.

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
4/30/2018 11:48am
here are some more bike pics

crooksy
Fantasy
601st
5/1/2018 12:19am
sspomer wrote:
LOL about the parking spaces. lopes & ibis launch american enduro team ----------------------------- [b]Lopes Launches Ibis US Enduro Team[/b] [i]Ibis clears out a couple of parking...

According to Lopes:

According to Morgan:

So Lopes leave Ibis, goes to Ellsworth, goes back to Ibis where they announce a partnership with DVO, does that mean Lopes55 is OFF X-Fusion?
watchcwgo
5/1/2018 8:09pm
First hd4 photo is the bl55 mobile with his own sponsors aboard (wtb, x fusion)
krabo83
5/15/2018 9:34am
what happend to the 29er V10? isn‘t there a rule that a bike has to be available to the public 12 month or so after being raced? can someone clarify?
Fariz
5/21/2018 7:45am
Kaos Seagrave with Transition TR11 29er

5/21/2018 9:45am
krabo83 wrote:
what happend to the 29er V10? isn‘t there a rule that a bike has to be available to the public 12 month or so after being...
what happend to the 29er V10? isn‘t there a rule that a bike has to be available to the public 12 month or so after being raced? can someone clarify?
If that was an actual rule, the Norco durum HSP would have been available almost a year ago.
Who knows tho, that could have been an acceptation.
JackRice
Fantasy
3869th
5/21/2018 4:08pm
So far Jack Moir and Bruce Klein unable to race Fort Bill due to injury, bummer.
peecee
Fantasy
318th
5/22/2018 2:01am
New 29" Specialized on the way

Karabuka
Fantasy
3075th
5/22/2018 3:54am
Yeah boi is out as well with broken collarbone Sad
5/22/2018 4:35am
peecee wrote:
New 29" Specialized on the way [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/05/22/6336/s1200_p4pb15926271.jpg[/img]
New 29" Specialized on the way

Kinda surprised to see them moving away from the current Demo layout/design, especially since they hung on to the dual chain stay design for so long. It has arguably been their most successful Demo yet on the WC, so it's kinda strange to see them doing something this different after only a few years.
Big Bird
5/22/2018 8:20am
Can't see the shock layout. I'd love to find out it's a pull shock design. It's time.
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
5/22/2018 9:30am
Time for what? For someone to overcomplicate needlessly again?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but there are hardly any pullshock configurations out there in MTB, motorbike, automotive, etc., world. Bar the few MTB exceptions (the Scott Genius malarkey, a few Giants and the Lawwil Yeti, anything else?).
unskilled
5/22/2018 10:13am
Primoz wrote:
Time for what? For someone to overcomplicate needlessly again? Correct me if i'm wrong, but there are hardly any pullshock configurations out there in MTB, motorbike...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but there are hardly any pullshock configurations out there in MTB, motorbike, automotive, etc., world. Bar the few MTB exceptions (the Scott Genius malarkey, a few Giants and the Lawwil Yeti, anything else?).
Cannondale's bikes 2010-2016
literally
Fantasy
4046th
5/22/2018 10:15am
Primoz wrote:
Time for what? For someone to overcomplicate needlessly again? Correct me if i'm wrong, but there are hardly any pullshock configurations out there in MTB, motorbike...

exactly. completely unnecessary. also the angle/design of the rocker pretty much shows a standard shock configuration.
Wooyek
Fantasy
2944th
5/22/2018 10:48am
Pull-shocks are like gearboxes - better in theory, but not enough to justify the marketing risk Sad
watchcwgo
5/22/2018 11:04am
You can see the yellow ohlins spring, so def not pull shock.
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
5/22/2018 11:27am
Thanks unskilled, forgot about that. But it falls into the same category if you ask me, complicated, nonstandard designs that cause issues when it comes to time to service. Even brands like BOS and in the end even Ohlins have servicing issues here in Slovenia. There are shops that wrench them now, but a few years back you had to send BOS to Germany or France. That's why i'm a diehard fan of Rock Shox, because i can service them cheaply and well nearby.
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
5/22/2018 11:46am
Wooyek wrote:
Pull-shocks are like gearboxes - better in theory, but not enough to justify the marketing risk Sad
But how are they better in theory? There are issues as to where to put the squishing factor. You can make a pull-spring, but you have to fasten it somewhwere. Easier to grind it down and make it a squish spring. Same goes for air, you can make a vacuum chamber to increase the force by extension, but you can only go so high (1 bar or thereabouts), before you 'run out of steam'. That would require a mighty large piston cross section. So you have to compress the thing, which means longer piston rods, usually even more seals than with push designs, etc.

Also, gearboxes are inherently worse, even theory wise, than the regular chain and sprocket wise. They have about the same amount of losses as a well lubricated standard system in the middle of the cassette (but gain some when you're at the cassette extremes), but you have more bearings in the gearbox, let's say a few more seals (given you have disconnected crank and output sprocket ratios, so you need to seal both) and a ton, granted inactive, but still, gear pairs.

Each of these things adds some inefficiencies to the whole drivetrain, in ideal conditions all of the above have an efficiency of about 99 %. These efficiencies multiply with each other. So for a Pinion gearbox, before you have the final output sprocket, you have say at least 3 seals, at least 4, but more likely around 6 bearings and at least two active gear pairs. Just that nets an efficiency of at most 0,99^9 = ~91 % (4 bearings, 2 gear pairs and 3 seals), if not more. The 99 % efficiency is taken from my engineering classes, which could be a number that's quite high, but logically, 99 % is a great efficiency. That's why gearboxes feel sluggish (TBH haven't ridden one, but i would love to, yet nevertheless the numbers don't lie).
Diag
Fantasy
186th
5/22/2018 1:35pm
Primoz wrote:
But how are they better in theory? There are issues as to where to put the squishing factor. You can make a pull-spring, but you have...
But how are they better in theory? There are issues as to where to put the squishing factor. You can make a pull-spring, but you have to fasten it somewhwere. Easier to grind it down and make it a squish spring. Same goes for air, you can make a vacuum chamber to increase the force by extension, but you can only go so high (1 bar or thereabouts), before you 'run out of steam'. That would require a mighty large piston cross section. So you have to compress the thing, which means longer piston rods, usually even more seals than with push designs, etc.

Also, gearboxes are inherently worse, even theory wise, than the regular chain and sprocket wise. They have about the same amount of losses as a well lubricated standard system in the middle of the cassette (but gain some when you're at the cassette extremes), but you have more bearings in the gearbox, let's say a few more seals (given you have disconnected crank and output sprocket ratios, so you need to seal both) and a ton, granted inactive, but still, gear pairs.

Each of these things adds some inefficiencies to the whole drivetrain, in ideal conditions all of the above have an efficiency of about 99 %. These efficiencies multiply with each other. So for a Pinion gearbox, before you have the final output sprocket, you have say at least 3 seals, at least 4, but more likely around 6 bearings and at least two active gear pairs. Just that nets an efficiency of at most 0,99^9 = ~91 % (4 bearings, 2 gear pairs and 3 seals), if not more. The 99 % efficiency is taken from my engineering classes, which could be a number that's quite high, but logically, 99 % is a great efficiency. That's why gearboxes feel sluggish (TBH haven't ridden one, but i would love to, yet nevertheless the numbers don't lie).
Pull shock like on the cannondale jekyll just have their air chamber on the opposite side of the air piston than the regular setup.
The inefficiency of gearboxes does not come from the number of seals or bearings ( normal transmission have also 4 bearings and 4 seals, 2 of each in the bottom bracket and the freewheel) it comes from the fact that all gears are in mech at all time even if just one set is connected to the output shaft creating friction...

I think the prototype suspension setup is a four bar link suspension with the shock driven by a rocker and link, kind of like a canyon sender
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
5/22/2018 2:18pm
The freehub bearings and seals (in the case of Pinion) remain. I mentioned you decouple the output from the crank, which means you have MORE seals in a gearbox than with a standard BB, which was my point. Same goes for bearings. For a Pinion, you need to support the input shaft relative to the housing, the layshaft relative to the housing and the output shaft relative to the housing and/or the input shaft (since they are concentric). And you also need to support the inactive gears, which spin freely (but produce less inefficiencies due to them not being loaded, like the power path is).

Therefore the constant mesh, while it is a contributing factor, i'd say it is not the significant factor with a gearbox.

As for the proto suspension, i kind of agree. The 'looks like a session' comments should become the standard, since it's the most logical layout - you have all the pivots in a close vicinity to the vertices of the (front) triangle, making a stiff and light frame. The spacing of the rear triangle also makes it relatively stiff. I'm not sure another link set is needed.

For XC, trail and similar short travel bikes a top tube mounted shock could prove to be beneficial, since it should give more space in the triangle for two water bottles. And it'd make sense to avoid mounting the shocks to the downtube for obvious reasons.
peecee
Fantasy
318th
5/22/2018 3:00pm
Big Bird wrote:
Can't see the shock layout. I'd love to find out it's a pull shock design. It's time.
I’m with big bird, shock technology has come such a long way since back in the day and a pull shock would open up lots of other suspension designs ?

GT should have just made a modern day 27.5/29” lobo full carbon, super low standover height with a pullshock from RS like back in the day and every person in the world would be talking about it like the good ol days

Post a reply to: 2018 Racing Rumors

The Latest