2025 Race Talk

woodchuuk
8/25/2024 9:43am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2024 9:47am

i have 2 source confirmation that Lake Placid/Wilmington will host a DH/XC double in 2025 on a newly built DH racetrack at Whiteface. i can’t say any more as far as sources etc but it’s absolutely happening. 

MTBrent
8/25/2024 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2024 7:12pm

Bryceland (semi-)comeback?!

bulletbass man
Fantasy
194th
8/26/2024 4:18am
woodchuuk wrote:
i have 2 source confirmation that Lake Placid/Wilmington will host a DH/XC double in 2025 on a newly built DH racetrack at Whiteface. i can’t say...

i have 2 source confirmation that Lake Placid/Wilmington will host a DH/XC double in 2025 on a newly built DH racetrack at Whiteface. i can’t say any more as far as sources etc but it’s absolutely happening. 

I dream that in 2026 we will have
Sept 5 Snowshoe
Sept 12 White Face
Sept 19 Us Open
Sept 26 MSA

the_pufalot
Fantasy
2753rd
8/26/2024 12:47pm

Without enduro? Seems a perfect spot to have races in all three disciplines.

Mtbbeta
Fantasy
1023rd
8/29/2024 5:56am
woodchuuk wrote:
i have 2 source confirmation that Lake Placid/Wilmington will host a DH/XC double in 2025 on a newly built DH racetrack at Whiteface. i can’t say...

Whiteface has everything needed and as much as I want it to happen, I just can't get my hopes up again that they will be hosting a WC. Miss riding there. 

woodchuuk
8/30/2024 1:23pm
woodchuuk wrote:

Mtbbeta wrote:
Whiteface has everything needed and as much as I want it to happen, I just can't get my hopes up again that they will be hosting...

Whiteface has everything needed and as much as I want it to happen, I just can't get my hopes up again that they will be hosting a WC. Miss riding there. 

I totally understand the hesitation. as I understand it partner firms are already being advised of staffing needs. I assume the track would be built on little WF in order to use the gondola for rider/bike uplift. that’s me guessing though.

completely unrelated…have you ridden the new DH run at West yet ? 

9/2/2024 11:18am

How can teams plan for a new season when the UCI can't get the schedule out? The teams need to time to get their finances and entice new sponsors to help, and you cannot do that without information in a reasonable amount of time. I don't understand the need to be so covert about this information. Any insight? 

Uncle Cliffy
9/2/2024 3:32pm
How can teams plan for a new season when the UCI can't get the schedule out? The teams need to time to get their finances and...

How can teams plan for a new season when the UCI can't get the schedule out? The teams need to time to get their finances and entice new sponsors to help, and you cannot do that without information in a reasonable amount of time. I don't understand the need to be so covert about this information. Any insight? 

I’m sure there’s a lot of contractual considerations to think about. Especially when it comes to race coverage and venue selection. There’s probably dates where all of that stuff has to be renegotiated, or it can’t be negotiated until such a date arrives.

At the same time, I’ve always been curious if the higher-ups know about these decisions ahead of time, and just wait to see how the season shakes out.

9/2/2024 6:43pm
How can teams plan for a new season when the UCI can't get the schedule out? The teams need to time to get their finances and...

I’m sure there’s a lot of contractual considerations to think about. Especially when it comes to race coverage and venue selection. There’s probably dates where all...

I’m sure there’s a lot of contractual considerations to think about. Especially when it comes to race coverage and venue selection. There’s probably dates where all of that stuff has to be renegotiated, or it can’t be negotiated until such a date arrives.

At the same time, I’ve always been curious if the higher-ups know about these decisions ahead of time, and just wait to see how the season shakes out.

It is possible that the teams that pay $20k a season to field a team are part of the "In Crowd" so they are privy to the scheduling info so that they can line things up. As a fan/outsider it would be great if some industry/team person could come in here an comment on that. They don't have to give us any 2025 info, but at least acknowledge they are given a heads up. 

I can't imagine with all the changes that are coming how that will affect riders and teams.

@sspomer Care to dig into this?

casey79
Fantasy
1219th
9/3/2024 12:14am

I’m sure there’s a lot of contractual considerations to think about. Especially when it comes to race coverage and venue selection. There’s probably dates where all...

It is possible that the teams that pay $20k a season to field a team are part of the "In Crowd" so they are privy to...

It is possible that the teams that pay $20k a season to field a team are part of the "In Crowd" so they are privy to the scheduling info so that they can line things up. As a fan/outsider it would be great if some industry/team person could come in here an comment on that. They don't have to give us any 2025 info, but at least acknowledge they are given a heads up. 

I can't imagine with all the changes that are coming how that will affect riders and teams.

Riders have been teasing some info since Leogang in interviews.

All the teams would have signed an embargo which in the mtb world pretty tightly respected by the media as they don't want to bite the hand that feed them.

9/3/2024 9:24am

It is possible that the teams that pay $20k a season to field a team are part of the "In Crowd" so they are privy to...

From people I chat with that are more a part of the World Cup circus, there definitely seems to be tiers of “in the know.” But rumors naturally spread and everyone seems to get the tea eventually. What does seem unanimous is the lack of clarity on what exactly is going on, or changing for next year. There is still a lot left up for interpretation surrounding team rules, # of racers at events, and a final schedule since nothing official has been announced. 

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
9/3/2024 11:15am

from 2025 world champs host via email - change of venue (not yet known) for the E-MTB cross country race. (i know, insignificant news on this site, but putting it out there)

3 September, 2024. Following the success of several international events, including two UCI World Cups stages in Crans-Montana and Aletsch Arena/Bellwald and the UEC European Downhill Championships in Champéry, the organisers of the 2025 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships are confident about next year's competitions. There has been a change in the participating destinations. The E-mountain bike cross-country races will not be held in Leukerbad; an alternative venue is currently being discussed with one of the host destinations. The main challenge now is to leave a strong legacy to promote mountain biking and develop cycling tourism.

TSchafer
Fantasy
2359th
9/7/2024 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2024 2:11pm

Some sneaky hints or rumors on 2025 from Misspent Summers on their Loudenvielle pregame email (everything they do is so rad)

IMG 9910
hogfly
Fantasy
1689th
9/7/2024 6:25pm
TSchafer wrote:
Some sneaky hints or rumors on 2025 from Misspent Summers on their Loudenvielle pregame email (everything they do is so rad)

IMG 9910

Those guys don't get nearly enough love for what they put out. 

casey79
Fantasy
1219th
9/13/2024 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2024 2:18pm

Singletrack World and Making Up The Numbers podcast with the scoop / leaked document titled ‘2025 MTB Reform, Evolution of Mountain Bike Racing’, the UCI and Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD) set out proposed changes for the racing in 2025.

https://singletrackworld.com/2024/09/leaked-document-reveals-mtb-world-cup-plans-for-2025/

https://singletrackworld.com/2024/09/podcast-racing-reform-and-rumours/ 

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
9/13/2024 2:56pm

the page of that doc that stuck out the most to me when it was sent over was the "per-event invite" section. singletracks touched on it a bit, but there's more detail. here is the copy from the document.

- 8 invites will be sent to UCI MTB Teams per individual World Cup event based on a scoring matrix
- Per event invites will be sent to UCI MTB Teams one month in advance of each World Cup event (per format)
- UCI MTB Teams will need to apply for a World Cup invitation at the latest 6 weeks prior to each event

this is the criteria for those teams (has the addition of home country of team and continental series standing)

- UCI MTB team ranking, current & previous season
- Profile of any individual athletes
- Team composition (multi-category, multi-gender)
- Profile of team sponsors (out of industry, global, etc.)
- Media profile of team (social media, etc.)
- Any injury issues during current or previous season
- Anti-doping history
- Home country of team
- Continental Series team standing

it's laughable (to me anyhow) to think a team/brand is going to ask for a race invite six weeks in advance only hoping that maybe they get a "yes, you're cool enough, have enough social media presence, aren't a doper and live nearby" a month before a race and then go. 

brash
9/13/2024 3:15pm

Loic wins, the "Gypsies" have been eradicated

Gone are the days of a US, Kiwi, Australian young guns living by the skin of their teeth on Baguettes and hand me down tires in a sprinter Van.

You've been replaced by influencer's, media profile and out of industry sponsorship.

Hyperglobal meganet faketeeth racing reigns supreme. Middle aged men in Suit tops, Jeans and New balances have sealed your fate.

StudBeefpile
Fantasy
974th
9/13/2024 4:14pm

It really makes me sad.  So much of our current crop of top 30 riders came through the trenches.  Would we even have Dunn at a world cup right now if he had tried to come up through the new supposed rules?  I much prefer the any one is a threat when they are on one approach of old.  Let people race god damn it. 

9/13/2024 9:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2024 9:51pm
It really makes me sad.  So much of our current crop of top 30 riders came through the trenches.  Would we even have Dunn at a...

It really makes me sad.  So much of our current crop of top 30 riders came through the trenches.  Would we even have Dunn at a world cup right now if he had tried to come up through the new supposed rules?  I much prefer the any one is a threat when they are on one approach of old.  Let people race god damn it. 

Right? How about the most recent World Cup winner, Benoit? The dude has grinded for years to be at the top. Where would he be if he was coming up through the scene right now?

Primoz
Fantasy
896th
9/13/2024 10:58pm

Ideally dominating the IXS Cup?

But with that, will we see regional teams set up too? Hard to imagine European teams will pick Oceania guys over euro guys just based off the travel cost barrier. People like Bernard (spending winters in NZ making connections) might be a plot twist. 

Mr.Nally
9/13/2024 11:22pm
brash wrote:
Loic wins, the "Gypsies" have been eradicatedGone are the days of a US, Kiwi, Australian young guns living by the skin of their teeth on Baguettes...

Gone are the days of a US, Kiwi, Australian young guns living by the skin of their teeth on Baguettes and hand me down tires in a sprinter Van.

You've been replaced by influencer's, media profile and out of industry sponsorship.

Hyperglobal meganet faketeeth racing reigns supreme. Middle aged men in Suit tops, Jeans and New balances have sealed your fate.

Those days won't be gone. Those young racers will probably just do more of the national and continental races they already do. (iXS, French cups or whatever).

They will probably still qualify for world cups at some point if they are fast enough. And if they are not then at least they won't be doing a race where they only get a handful of practice runs and never qualify for a finals.

Sports change. That's how it goes

Mr.Nally
9/13/2024 11:24pm
Right? How about the most recent World Cup winner, Benoit? The dude has grinded for years to be at the top. Where would he be if...

Right? How about the most recent World Cup winner, Benoit? The dude has grinded for years to be at the top. Where would he be if he was coming up through the scene right now?

Check his results and see how key non-WC races were to his progression and also see how above average his WC results were too. 

brash
9/14/2024 1:36am
brash wrote:
Loic wins, the "Gypsies" have been eradicatedGone are the days of a US, Kiwi, Australian young guns living by the skin of their teeth on Baguettes...

Mr.Nally wrote:
Those days won't be gone. Those young racers will probably just do more of the national and continental races they already do. (iXS, French cups or...

Those days won't be gone. Those young racers will probably just do more of the national and continental races they already do. (iXS, French cups or whatever).

They will probably still qualify for world cups at some point if they are fast enough. And if they are not then at least they won't be doing a race where they only get a handful of practice runs and never qualify for a finals.

I'll give you the hot tip, there is no Australian series, the kiwi one is slightly better.

If you are fast, you put you're money where your mouth is (which isn't much) and you get a one way ticket to europe with a fistfull of euro's and a dream of making it. The Vanzac spirit if you will. Some make it, lot's don't. But WBD/UCI/Loic don't want these types around it seems. Shame.

I could list 15+ Pro's who came from Vanzac origins. 

Mr.Nally
9/14/2024 1:50am
brash wrote:

Mr.Nally wrote:
Those days won't be gone. Those young racers will probably just do more of the national and continental races they already do. (iXS, French cups or...

brash wrote:
I'll give you the hot tip, there is no Australian series, the kiwi one is slightly better.If you are fast, you put you're money where your...

I'll give you the hot tip, there is no Australian series, the kiwi one is slightly better.

If you are fast, you put you're money where your mouth is (which isn't much) and you get a one way ticket to europe with a fistfull of euro's and a dream of making it. The Vanzac spirit if you will. Some make it, lot's don't. But WBD/UCI/Loic don't want these types around it seems. Shame.

I could list 15+ Pro's who came from Vanzac origins. 

I never mentioned an Australian series. I specifically mentioned how Aussies and kiwis and Well funded American kids go to Europe to race things like ixs, french cups and a handful of other mainly European events.

If riders are fast enough they will be spotted by team managers and given a chance at WC level I imagine. Just like it is now for first year juniors who are spotted as groms racing national level races.

veefour
Fantasy
315th
9/14/2024 3:01am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2024 3:01am
Mr.Nally wrote:
I never mentioned an Australian series. I specifically mentioned how Aussies and kiwis and Well funded American kids go to Europe to race things like ixs...

I never mentioned an Australian series. I specifically mentioned how Aussies and kiwis and Well funded American kids go to Europe to race things like ixs, french cups and a handful of other mainly European events.

If riders are fast enough they will be spotted by team managers and given a chance at WC level I imagine. Just like it is now for first year juniors who are spotted as groms racing national level races.

If riders are fast enough they'll possibly be given a chance in 3 years time when a current signed rider's contract expires I imagine.

Mr.Nally
9/14/2024 5:04am
Mr.Nally wrote:
I never mentioned an Australian series. I specifically mentioned how Aussies and kiwis and Well funded American kids go to Europe to race things like ixs...

veefour wrote:

If riders are fast enough they'll possibly be given a chance in 3 years time when a current signed rider's contract expires I imagine.

That's a fairly pessimistic view. Ten riders per elite team. Transfers between WC and elite teams allowed at any time. And fast riders can enter on their own back via federation or points etc... at least that what I'm reading over in Singletrack 

veefour
Fantasy
315th
9/14/2024 5:07am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2024 5:28am
Mr.Nally wrote:
That's a fairly pessimistic view. Ten riders per elite team. Transfers between WC and elite teams allowed at any time. And fast riders can enter on...

That's a fairly pessimistic view. Ten riders per elite team. Transfers between WC and elite teams allowed at any time. And fast riders can enter on their own back via federation or points etc... at least that what I'm reading over in Singletrack 

10 riders per elite team is pie in the sky, even the wealthiest teams would struggle to pay salaries, travel costs and increased background staff associated with a team of that size.

Transfers may be allowed, but will be costly for teams, especially if the rider concerned is still under contract (and aren't we talking about riders breaking into the top tier, rather than ones already there?). 

Only so many spots for federations and depending where you're from there'll likely be a lot of riders challenging for a few places. IMO this system is also flawed, no disrespect to the guy, but look at the Taiwanese rider at Worlds. Won the Asian Champs, ranked around 54th in the world due to geography, but unable to qualify.

gibbon
9/14/2024 5:24am

They are expecting elite teams to race some of their riders in this ficticious feeder series they don't want to have anything to do with.

Post a reply to: 2025 Race Talk

The Latest