2024 Red Bull Rampage Chat

dolface
Fantasy
610th
10/12/2024 6:42am
R120 wrote:
lemon wrote:

That might be the wildest bicycle clip I've ever seen

Right? I've been watching it on repeat (and bugging everybody I know to watch it 🤣) and it's SO freaking nuts. No idea how he rode that out...

mfoga
Fantasy
168th
10/12/2024 12:47pm

Well at least the Women’s was a good watch.  After that bs score I am done watching.  It’s clear all they care about is Slopestyle on 4’ wide highways 

Kanista
10/12/2024 12:51pm
mfoga wrote:
Well at least the Women’s was a good watch.  After that bs score I am done watching.  It’s clear all they care about is Slopestyle on...

Well at least the Women’s was a good watch.  After that bs score I am done watching.  It’s clear all they care about is Slopestyle on 4’ wide highways 

#daylightrobbery

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/12/2024 2:40pm

it really is a shame considering there are slope style and 'big air' events all year from crankworx to fest series to nines on and on etc

but realistically there is only ONE rampage... and it may never return to its free riding, natural, and raw roots. to the extent i dont think any event covers the same type of riding. but i guess thats what truly makes it free riding. events and sponsors dont wanna touch it. core lord lifestyle :/

Eoin
Fantasy
42nd
10/12/2024 3:30pm

What's weird is they scored Tmack highly for what was a freeride run with minimal tricks, but then they saw Brendogs run and decided they couldn't care less anymore.

The progression is crazy though, half the riders were doing backflips over 50ft+ drops. That used to win rampage and set you up for an entire career. Terrified to see what the level will be in the future.

bulletbass man
Fantasy
169th
10/12/2024 3:45pm

Brendan was scored super poorly.  But with the way rampage is judged I never thought his line was a winner.  His canyon is big but nothing that hasn’t been done many times over the last decade.  And technical riding and small and medium sized drops have never scored well in that time period either.  Hope he wins people’s choice or the style award cause his run was fantastic and deserves recognition.

Tyler’s run pretty much epitomizes what the judges look for.  Absolutely huge sends, a ton of speed and amplitude.  If he could do some of the big tricks the slope guys can probably would be close to a perfect score.

Acadian
10/12/2024 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2024 4:51pm

To preface, I'm the biggest Semenuk fan but IMO his run wasn't better than Godzieks. Front flip, double backflip, bunch of amplitude, etc.. I'm not a Rampage judge but I still think Godziek's run was better. 

mfoga
Fantasy
168th
10/12/2024 4:50pm

I never looked but I assume RBs golden boy won?  

bulletbass man
Fantasy
169th
10/12/2024 5:33pm

Anyone see an update on Zink???

All I’ve seen is stable and in the hospital.  Not seen an injury list yet.

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/12/2024 5:54pm

I wouldn't even say I'm a Szymon fan, but I do think he does Rampage about as proper as you can for scoring purposes and such... And they STILL couldn't give him the win. I thought he was surely underscored last year. And now this. Shame.

My fav riders at Rampage in the 'new era' have been Andreu, Bienv, and Adolf. I think Adolf could have been scored higher by mixing huge drop flip and then double flip. TVS front flip may be best trick of event. And as always Brendog has the best line with the most Rampage vibes but... That's not what the event wants. And I guess they won't just tell him to his face 'were not gonna score this line very well even if you trick anything on it'.

I really despise the Semenuk meta even though he kills it. But doing oppo tricks to boost scores on groomed jumps is PURE slopestyle meta. If the feature is easy enough to do ugly 'oppo' moves on... It probably wasn't the highest scoring Rampage feature on the hill. Sigh. Another year another ram-... robbery

megastoke
10/12/2024 5:59pm

Scoring aside, there was a lot of really wild riding that went down this year. The level everyone is operating at in 2024 simply boggles my mind. 

sspomer
Fantasy
66th
10/12/2024 7:08pm

here's the replay - first rider drops at about 2:16:00

mfoga
Fantasy
168th
10/12/2024 7:19pm

Don’t watch the replay. Boycot this.  Give it no more views.  They don’t deserve it.  Maybe they will finally figure out they are screwing up.  

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/12/2024 7:51pm
sspomer wrote:

here's the replay - first rider drops at about 2:16:00

timstamps can be found in the comments... hopefully it gets upvoted near the top (between all the brendog comments). or RB updates the video accordingly soon.

cant believe TVS sent that... and somehow stuck it cleaner than szymons mini fronty drop. dont even know how to score it between tvs, godziek, and silva.

Stewyeww
10/12/2024 7:52pm

I was happy to see a lot of full runs, my memories of recent rampages is a lot of runs being cut short by blown tires.

Bob Chicken
10/13/2024 1:44am

Maybe Brendog should just bomb down the hill like Zink did last year and he'll get a better score? seems kinda absurd if you think about what he's attempted but here we are. 

Tarhic
10/13/2024 2:18am

Can’t wait to see the video of the judge justifying the robbery !

R120
10/13/2024 3:47am

I don’t think Bren ever expects to win, just that what he is doing is rightly recognised.

The issue for me is that amplitude/exposure/gnar seems to have taken second place to technicality of trick. I also think that the build element has got lost, especially when you re in an area used before - building new lines and features that you only get a few goes on should be recognised over fine tuning an existing line.

What did make me laugh is that at the beginning they justified the low scoring lat year of Bienve’s run because his main tricks came lower down the mountain, but then give the win to a park trick thrown off a lower risk hit lower down the mountain, whereas Godzie went balls deep from the off.

My favourite run was TMacs - that canyon gap him and Ice T where hitting was far gnarlier than anything else on the hill, and was a new feature. His run was full tilt and had high risk, flow, and tech in the mix. 

10/13/2024 4:21am

It kinda feels like the judges are scoring runs as if the way down for each rider was selected randomly. 

RaggedEdge
Fantasy
517th
10/13/2024 6:51am

I totally agree R120. I would rather see super gnarly and burly lines ridden aggressively then a "trick combo" off a slopestyle type hit. TMac went huge on that canyon gap and appeared to be hoping to just hang on, no thought of throwing a trick. The same for BDog on those step technical lines, no option for a trick, just praying to ride it out. To me, that is the soul of Rampage.

bulletbass man
Fantasy
169th
10/13/2024 7:26am

Semenuks run was nuts.  Fs 360 straight into a huge chute.   Biggest oppo tail whip done into a double drop.  Biggest step down bf tailwhip.  And to do it near sunset when you were planning on being done by noon after not touching a bike for 4-5 hrs in pretty windy conditions just shows why he wins at everything he tries.  And he seems to be putting some effort into using his minor celebrity to bring new eyeballs to the event.

His connectors where some of the best outside of fairclough.  To say his run was just a slopestyle run is just dumb. 

Is straits price is right the largest single crown send ever?  Don’t believe I’ve seen anything that big.  Had he greased his tail whip I think he’d be not far off the box.

If fairclough had sui’d off the rock and got his flip variation I think he would’ve scored much better.  But still I don’t think he deserved essentially last place.  Guelly didn’t seem to really agree with the score either.  I think one or two judges in one or two categories really hurt his score and he didn’t get the credit he deserved for his line.  Hopefully fans choice was a nice consolation prize for him.

Tyler had my favorite line.  And was absolutely tailored to get big scores from judges based on previous results.

Sorge probably over scored a bit but he undoubtedly went huge.  Would’ve been a winning run not that long ago.

Turk not getting enough credit for his line.  Too bad  too windy for him to want a second run.

10/13/2024 7:28am
Acadian wrote:
To preface, I'm the biggest Semenuk fan but IMO his run wasn't better than Godzieks. Front flip, double backflip, bunch of amplitude, etc.. I'm not a...

To preface, I'm the biggest Semenuk fan but IMO his run wasn't better than Godzieks. Front flip, double backflip, bunch of amplitude, etc.. I'm not a Rampage judge but I still think Godziek's run was better. 

I agree and I'm not certainly against slopestyle riders, but Godziek's run was so much rowdier. I haven't recently watched Rheeder's last winning run, but that was definitely deserving of the win. It's shame to think that Godziek might have won if he'd done a 360 instead of one of his back flips and hadn't had that tiny case half way down.

10/13/2024 7:31am
Acadian wrote:
To preface, I'm the biggest Semenuk fan but IMO his run wasn't better than Godzieks. Front flip, double backflip, bunch of amplitude, etc.. I'm not a...

Right or wrong, I think some of it comes down to the fact that nobody else on that hill could have done Brandon’s run.

Meanwhile, Syzmon and Adolf had identical tricks on two of their biggest contributing features and three people flipped Price is Right.

That being said, for the first time ever I’m not convinced they got the top three correct. But if they re-ordered them in any combination I think I’d say the same thing.

My other notes, Brendan is too special and too rad to be confined by Rampage. I don’t know how you score him (objectively it shouldn’t beat the top 4-5) but it is also another line that I don’t think anyone else could’ve rode. I feel bad that there is not a better way to recognize him.

Lastly, if an observer is being extremely detailed, Reed Boggs might have the best/smoothest bike control and understanding of big desert terrain for anyone out there. He flipped Price is Right twice (one in practice, one in the contest) and landed both more smoothly than could possibly be imagined. Re-watch is whole run and look at how little his body and bike move on landing any feature. It’s insane the nuance of his skills, but that will also never be properly recognized. Loose looks more exciting and gets scored better.

lloyd506
Fantasy
154th
10/13/2024 8:36am

Don’t care how big a front flip is, just no. They aren’t cool in skiing, snowboarding and not on bikes. 

10/13/2024 10:41am
lloyd506 wrote:

Don’t care how big a front flip is, just no. They aren’t cool in skiing, snowboarding and not on bikes. 

Except you are just wrong. Even in snow sports, a properly executed front flip that is stomped to feet would be considered just as cool or more so than a basic straight backflip.

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/13/2024 11:11am

dont worry guys... got the Seagraves on the case so we can truly understand the scoring formats of Rampage

first one to spell FREE RIDE... is the loserrr

Post a reply to: 2024 Red Bull Rampage Chat

The Latest