2024 Les Gets World Cup Downhill

7/5/2024 1:54pm

FYI:

Les Gets is 6 hours ahead of US Eastern Time, so subtract 6 hours from the start lists posted above to get to US Eastern Time or 9 hours for Pacific Time.

The UCI MTB World Series channel says coverage of the Juniors on Saturday begins at 5:15 a.m. Eastern Time for the Women's race, followed at 5:55 a.m. for the Men. (It appears that viewers have to switch over to a different stream on the channel for the Men's race, rather than staying on the same stream after the Women's race is over.)

hogfly
Fantasy
1689th
7/5/2024 2:00pm

Some rumors on the other site’s comments that French Government could potentially cancel the race if weather is too bad (as predicted). The semi results would then stand as finals (not sure what they do with points then). That would be a pretty shit way for Dak to get his first WC “win.”

Sugarbrad
7/5/2024 2:04pm
hogfly wrote:
Some rumors on the other site’s comments that French Government could potentially cancel the race if weather is too bad (as predicted). The semi results would...

Some rumors on the other site’s comments that French Government could potentially cancel the race if weather is too bad (as predicted). The semi results would then stand as finals (not sure what they do with points then). That would be a pretty shit way for Dak to get his first WC “win.”

Accurate 

bizutch
Fantasy
655th
7/5/2024 2:10pm
hogfly wrote:
Some rumors on the other site’s comments that French Government could potentially cancel the race if weather is too bad (as predicted). The semi results would...

If it went down as a win for Dak, he'll have ZERO issue with it.
Racers knew before they left the gate that Semi's could be used as race runs.

I'd be concerned as to WHY is Oisin moved to 13th start for tomorrow ahead of the Meier-Smiths? 
And if results are used for race runs, will they pull him back out and put him as 31st place when giving points?
Or does he get 13th place points without even starting?

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
7/5/2024 2:20pm
sspomer wrote:
semi finals results/write-up. thankfully oisin protected (not really sure why with his 19 plate, but glad he is). anna newkirk and nina hoffmann also protected. weather...

semi finals results/write-up. thankfully oisin protected (not really sure why with his 19 plate, but glad he is). anna newkirk and nina hoffmann also protected. weather looks.......#barf

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/results-elite-semi-finals-uci-mounta…

remi thirion only $60k in fantasy!

Current top ten in the overall standings are protected for finals at each round (Oisin was sitting 9th after last round). (the top 3 from previous year's final standings are also protected for finals throughout the whole season...)

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
7/5/2024 2:20pm

Rider reactions after semi-finals today - BK's quote: "I hate semi-finals, worst thing ever invented..."

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
7/5/2024 2:31pm
hogfly wrote:

we'll see how many burner accounts are made to make a fantasy team w/ the exact results as today's semis and qualis HAHAHA. can you split a fork 15 ways?

veefour
Fantasy
315th
7/5/2024 2:40pm
sspomer wrote:
we'll see how many burner accounts are made to make a fantasy team w/ the exact results as today's semis and qualis HAHAHA. can you split...

we'll see how many burner accounts are made to make a fantasy team w/ the exact results as today's semis and qualis HAHAHA. can you split a fork 15 ways?

Put them in a hat, pull one for the win, then give everyone else a volume reducer as a token gesture.

7/5/2024 3:38pm
hogfly wrote:

Last year at Loudenvielle they cancelled the Junior Finals and used the qualifying times to assign points. 

If Dakotah gets a win due to a cancellation, at least he raced in the semis to earn it. I think him taking 1st in both the qualis and semis would make it feel pretty legit.

mfoga
Fantasy
180th
7/5/2024 4:31pm
iceman2058 wrote:
Rider reactions after semi-finals today - BK's quote: "I hate semi-finals, worst thing ever invented..."    

Ok we will get rid of next year and only bring 30 into final from qualies Laughing

LePigPen
Fantasy
179th
7/5/2024 4:56pm

Whoa. Sooo a thunderstorm? Heavy rain? Wind? Kinda all 3? I can't imagine what could cause a DH race to be cancelled. I forget what happened at that other event. I remember it was so windy people couldn't count on their speed to get past things including one big pull/huck. And that was a problem all week kinda.

If that happens, Spomer do you scrub this race (i think pb had to scrub one due to internal error) to keep the overall fair? And then just 'raffle' off the rewards to players?

mfoga
Fantasy
180th
7/5/2024 5:25pm

I understand the thunderstorm concern.  That means possible lightning.  That mean lifts have to be stopped.  That means spectators have to cleared from track.  Wind and Rain yeah you can race in that.  

LePigPen
Fantasy
179th
7/5/2024 6:51pm

Well thats the crazy thing I'm pretty sure that previous juniors cancellation was wind based. And as weird as it was people kinda understood it when some riders can get a gust and simply come short on a 'road gap' by no fault of their own. And I think that is what happened? To cause the concern. Forget who it was but somebody just didnt come close to making it and got wrecked.

That said I don't see a specific part of this track where wind could cause danger to that level. Even that big double its like... You can roll if you have to I guess idk. But ya I'd assume thunderstorm as a logistics problem, as opposed to like 'on track safety'. For riders.

owl-x
Fantasy
1089th
7/5/2024 7:35pm

That Jr’s cancellation has only ever been attributed to b-zone / medic accessibility in the wet—no air evac and the claims that nobody could carry a backboard to and from the track…no?

dafuq you guys talking about right now?—we’re racing dude c’mon!

LePigPen
Fantasy
179th
7/5/2024 7:49pm

Oh it was a wet thing. Well how did they work out not cancelling the elite? Did it actually dry up enough later in the day or was it just like... Fuck it run the elites they can take the risk but the juniors cannot.

Also is my wind story from a totally different race? Or... Surely it can't be the same one can it lol. Was it like Andorra or something? (I got a concussion ~3 months ago and I will gladly blame all misgivings upon that at least till the end of the year.)

owl-x
Fantasy
1089th
7/5/2024 7:51pm

There’s a race tomorrow and the winner will win! 

LePigPen
Fantasy
179th
7/5/2024 7:58pm

I've heard of positive manifestation but this is next level.

If you could make a prediction on the lottery I may go try my hand tomorrow.

owl-x
Fantasy
1089th
7/5/2024 9:23pm

tent city at the top, we don’t need chairlifts come On French people / weather wtf

StudBeefpile
Fantasy
974th
7/5/2024 9:38pm
owl-x wrote:

tent city at the top, we don’t need chairlifts come On French people / weather wtf

Hah that would be great.  No practice in the morning, just strap in for your race run.  

7/5/2024 9:55pm

I think the concerns would have to be different than loudenvielle. Even if it would be a logistic nightmare, the top of the race can be shuttled by the road and the complete track is easily accessible by medics. I don't really see any reason that would prevent the elite to race.. Note, there are some elections on Sunday and it might be a shit show, maybe some riots and shit. There is tension in the air..

7/5/2024 10:04pm

I forgot that it's not just about riding a bike.. it might be a problem for TV to operate with lighting and downpours all around.
Anyway it sounds like shifting the schedule by 2 hours or 3h would fix the problem

LePigPen
Fantasy
179th
7/5/2024 10:59pm

would be kinda cool if there was more of a standby or outright waiting period like surf contests and the riders collectively decide on when to race with the organizers. not saying that is at all easy or 'fun' to put up with

cloudy
Fantasy
118th
7/5/2024 11:23pm

Looks like the post from misspent summers is confirmed according to the UCI MTB and Les Gets Official instagram stories. Crazy!

Stewyeww
7/6/2024 12:07am
LePigPen wrote:
Well thats the crazy thing I'm pretty sure that previous juniors cancellation was wind based. And as weird as it was people kinda understood it when...

Well thats the crazy thing I'm pretty sure that previous juniors cancellation was wind based. And as weird as it was people kinda understood it when some riders can get a gust and simply come short on a 'road gap' by no fault of their own. And I think that is what happened? To cause the concern. Forget who it was but somebody just didnt come close to making it and got wrecked.

That said I don't see a specific part of this track where wind could cause danger to that level. Even that big double its like... You can roll if you have to I guess idk. But ya I'd assume thunderstorm as a logistics problem, as opposed to like 'on track safety'. For riders.

Alpine lifts have to shutdown when there is lightning, in Canada I believe it is within 50km of the mountain. That means everyone on the hill have to be driven down, riders, spectators, mechanics, mountain staff ect.... That's not a UCI or Warner Bros decision, it's out of their hands. 

Oli_C
Fantasy
1505th
7/6/2024 12:59am

Completely logical decison. The storms recently have been very violent and very unpredictable. Maybe they wont even come. The last 2 years even Meteo Suisse has struggled to be accurate. Around the corner from Les Gets, past Verbier part of Val des Bagnes is cut of due to huge wet mudslides. Zermatt was full of water, let alone in Val de Aosta where near to Pila, Cogne was completely cut off due to devasting wet mudslides, and Cervinia was partly destroyed.

About a month ago, a trail running race in Samoens, behind Les Gets, had an athlete die due to them keeping the race going through bad weather and up in a very snowy area.   So there is pressure for event organisers to be careful.

It sad for the juniors to be decided like this, but the elite are the main show.
On verra! Let's see!

veefour
Fantasy
315th
7/6/2024 1:00am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2024 1:01am
LePigPen wrote:
Oh it was a wet thing. Well how did they work out not cancelling the elite? Did it actually dry up enough later in the day...

Oh it was a wet thing. Well how did they work out not cancelling the elite? Did it actually dry up enough later in the day or was it just like... Fuck it run the elites they can take the risk but the juniors cannot.

Also is my wind story from a totally different race? Or... Surely it can't be the same one can it lol. Was it like Andorra or something? (I got a concussion ~3 months ago and I will gladly blame all misgivings upon that at least till the end of the year.)

IIRC it was deemed too wet for juniors to race, but things dried up sufficiently for elites at Loudenvielle and they just shut the jump where Cami wrecked herself and rode around it at Vallnord.

veefour
Fantasy
315th
7/6/2024 2:37am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2024 2:48am

Richie stopping to give his shoes a wash @6.29. What was he thinking? Shocked

Post a reply to: 2024 Les Gets World Cup Downhill

The Latest