All Things 2022 DH World Champs Les Gets

dolface
Fantasy
594th
8/27/2022 12:47pm
t-rick wrote:
What a show. I would love for someone to give a detailed breakdown of the track between splits 1 and 2 !!
Paging Cathro...
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
8/27/2022 2:28pm
The UCI embedded stream didn't work for me in Slovenia if I'm not mistaken.
Salespunk
8/27/2022 3:36pm
What a great race. Always insane to see one rider find multiple seconds in one section that nobody else saw.
PJ205
Fantasy
476th
8/27/2022 5:01pm
Already had the race winner ruined when trying to find a stream so I'll be checking YouTube over the next couple of days, waiting for a replay. Red Bull shut this one down pretty quickly!

LTrumpore
8/27/2022 7:27pm
No secret that Loic has some sort of suspension control on his bike, but first time I've noticed the bright green light on the handlebar. It's off at the start, on through the steep gnarly sections in the middle of the track, and off again from the steep berms exiting the woods through the finish.

t-rick
Fantasy
1792nd
8/27/2022 8:07pm
LTrumpore wrote:
No secret that Loic has some sort of suspension control on his bike, but first time I've noticed the bright green light on the handlebar. It's...
No secret that Loic has some sort of suspension control on his bike, but first time I've noticed the bright green light on the handlebar. It's off at the start, on through the steep gnarly sections in the middle of the track, and off again from the steep berms exiting the woods through the finish.

I am seriously baffled how he found 2 seconds between splits 1 and 2. No one else pulled back that sort of time that I could tell.
jimmypop
8/28/2022 2:05am
LTrumpore wrote:
No secret that Loic has some sort of suspension control on his bike, but first time I've noticed the bright green light on the handlebar. It's...

t-rick wrote:
I am seriously baffled how he found 2 seconds between splits 1 and 2. No one else pulled back that sort of time that I could...
I am seriously baffled how he found 2 seconds between splits 1 and 2. No one else pulled back that sort of time that I could tell.
The light is an indicator for the proprietary system which controls a small vice that squeezes his balls when he's in the red, then lets up a bit when he's in the green.
jimmypop
8/28/2022 2:24am
LTrumpore wrote:

t-rick wrote:
I am seriously baffled how he found 2 seconds between splits 1 and 2. No one else pulled back that sort of time that I could...
While the BruniBall 9000 may not be real, I've been wondering for a while when GPS technology would be brought to bear in downhill. Suspension characteristics (and other settings?) could be adjusted on the fly based on location on course. Specialized wouldn't have the diaper on Finn's bike and the carbon French cigarette box on Loic's bike just to hide a traditional manual remote lockout.

Automatic chain disengagement for full rear suspension activation, anyone? One way a low-pivot design could be improved in a world where high pivots and idlers are mopping up the results.

The UCI is inspecting bikes still, right?
luckymixes
Fantasy
538th
8/28/2022 2:39am
Whatever electronic suspension wizardry are they using, you don't find two seconds in such a short piece of track unless you are taking some crazy line that no one else saw, and ride it to perfection (that line and the whole way down)

Bruni is truly Jordan, Rossi, Minnaar material, one special type of athlete that can turn it to another level just when it counts.

Huge slow clap for him and the rest of the frenchies for dominating such a difficult sport. It was truly awesome to watch.
jimmypop
8/28/2022 7:02am
It's a French Line finder, powered by LIDAR. Augmented display in the googles.
matmattmatthew
8/28/2022 9:49am
Anyone get a snap of Nino's seatpost? It looked different from a normal reverb AXS.
t-rick
Fantasy
1792nd
8/28/2022 10:31am
jimmypop wrote:
While the BruniBall 9000 may not be real, I've been wondering for a while when GPS technology would be brought to bear in downhill. Suspension characteristics...
While the BruniBall 9000 may not be real, I've been wondering for a while when GPS technology would be brought to bear in downhill. Suspension characteristics (and other settings?) could be adjusted on the fly based on location on course. Specialized wouldn't have the diaper on Finn's bike and the carbon French cigarette box on Loic's bike just to hide a traditional manual remote lockout.

Automatic chain disengagement for full rear suspension activation, anyone? One way a low-pivot design could be improved in a world where high pivots and idlers are mopping up the results.

The UCI is inspecting bikes still, right?
Fair point !

Teams will do anything to win !
8/28/2022 10:57am
I don't think there's as great a mystery about Loic's time between Splits 1 and 2 as some people are making it out to be.

The time in that section was the largest between splits of any in the race: It took most riders a little under 1.5 minutes to travel that section, on a course that was taking them about 3.5 minutes to complete. That’s approximately 42% of the race time for the whole course, just in the section between the 1st two splits. (I'll call it Section 2.)

The 5 fastest riders in Section 2 were Bruni, Pierron, Greenland, Gwin and Brosnan, in that order. Here's how long it took each for Section 2 alone:

Bruni: 1:24.157
Pierron: 1:25.287 (+1.130 seconds)
Greenland: 1:25.677 (+1.520 seconds)
Gwin: 1:26.478 (+2.321 seconds)
Brosnan: 1:26.708 (+2.551 seconds)

Imagine, if you will, that they had run in that order, with Bruni first down the hill and Brosnan the last man down. Rob Warner would have been saying, “He’s into the red at Split 2! Can he pull some of that back?!?!?” about each guy who followed Bruni.

And the answer for Rob would have been “No.” From Split 2 to the finish line Loic’s time was also better than all four of them. They each lost anywhere from another 0.7 seconds (Vergier) to 2.5 seconds (Greenland).

Bottom line: From Split 1 (when Bruni had the 8th fastest time) to the finish line, Bruni ran a spectacular race. No mystery, really.
Primoz
Fantasy
896th
8/28/2022 1:35pm
He did have a foot out moment in the second turn, so that could be a big reason for the deficit in the first split.
dolface
Fantasy
594th
8/28/2022 6:11pm
Anyone get a snap of Nino's seatpost? It looked different from a normal reverb AXS.
It's been mentioned; some other light-weight brand (forget which one) w/ a silver collar to approximate an AXS Reverb
bizutch
Fantasy
655th
8/30/2022 8:26am
I don't think there's as great a mystery about Loic's time between Splits 1 and 2 as some people are making it out to be. The...
I don't think there's as great a mystery about Loic's time between Splits 1 and 2 as some people are making it out to be.

The time in that section was the largest between splits of any in the race: It took most riders a little under 1.5 minutes to travel that section, on a course that was taking them about 3.5 minutes to complete. That’s approximately 42% of the race time for the whole course, just in the section between the 1st two splits. (I'll call it Section 2.)

The 5 fastest riders in Section 2 were Bruni, Pierron, Greenland, Gwin and Brosnan, in that order. Here's how long it took each for Section 2 alone:

Bruni: 1:24.157
Pierron: 1:25.287 (+1.130 seconds)
Greenland: 1:25.677 (+1.520 seconds)
Gwin: 1:26.478 (+2.321 seconds)
Brosnan: 1:26.708 (+2.551 seconds)

Imagine, if you will, that they had run in that order, with Bruni first down the hill and Brosnan the last man down. Rob Warner would have been saying, “He’s into the red at Split 2! Can he pull some of that back?!?!?” about each guy who followed Bruni.

And the answer for Rob would have been “No.” From Split 2 to the finish line Loic’s time was also better than all four of them. They each lost anywhere from another 0.7 seconds (Vergier) to 2.5 seconds (Greenland).

Bottom line: From Split 1 (when Bruni had the 8th fastest time) to the finish line, Bruni ran a spectacular race. No mystery, really.
Heck yeah! Let's get into some split times. Because the first thing my eye is drawn to is Gwin and Dak.

I want to talk "Teammate Times". I honestly need Seb to pull that much data together for me, but if you've ever been in the same category as a group of your contemporaries as a teammate, it's CRAZY how your times will reflect each others.

Looking at Gwin, he was top 5 in sectors 2 & 5 but WAY down for such a high finish time in the other 3 sectors.
Then look at Dak. Exact same outcome. Fastest sectors 2 & 5. Then double digits in the other 3 sectors.

Former teammates Luca & GM....similar outcomes.

I've seen it in the past with the World Cup. One teammate either makes the other better at features they weren't OR the better teammate slips back to a closer average to their slower teammate. The longer they stay together, the harder it is to break loose from the teammate tango where your times either sync at the finish OR one crashes out trying to break loose from the form of practice/racing they've been doing together.

Happened with Matti & GM
Happened with Rennie & Hill
Happened with Hill & Brendog
Ronning & Kovarik
Palmer & Vories
Bruni & Vergier
Gwin & Neko
Gwin & Angel

It's just a theory. You spend so much time pushing each other that you both "adapted" to each other's speed, style, weaknesses & strengths that your times draw closer to each other and styles.

I honestly believe that's a big reason why riders desire a change to a new team and/or bike. Practice with the same guy long enough and then see each other's times on the leaderboard enough times....you begin to think it yourself.

To separate my time from this guy, I've got to change. Get away from doing runs, sharing knowledge, ideas, etc. Either the pupil catches up to the teacher & needs to learn something more or the master let's themself get pulled back to the speed of the pupil & has to seek new challenges to get out of a rut with a sudden rival.
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
9/1/2022 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2022 6:56pm
just got this spam email...a week too late or we could have been rolling in it with "how to watch world champs using a VPN" HAHAHAHAHA (i took out the actual name of the biz)
-----------------------------------
subject: *****VPN wants to sponsor you!

Hey Vital MTB,

I'm Kara, a YouTube Creator Success Manager at ******. Great to meet you! Our direct partner, ****VPN, wants to sponsor a video on your YouTube channel.

We'll give you a $375 base price + $20 for every new customer that signs up for ****VPN using your link within 30 days of launching the integration. All we need from you is a 30-60 second mention in an upcoming video. The campaign includes a 1-click integration with our tech, which helps you track how you are doing in real-time. For a full breakdown of this deal, please click here and for info regarding how our tech works please click here.

If this campaign is something you would be interested in or if you have any questions, please let me know. However, if you don't like the offer, we'd really appreciate it if you could let us know why.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!
------------------------------------------------

Post a reply to: All Things 2022 DH World Champs Les Gets

The Latest