Rampage 2021

luisgutrod
Fantasy
509th
10/13/2021 6:05am
somebody posted about somebody alread getting hurt ? Andreau ?
Edthorne
Fantasy
1944th
10/13/2021 6:38am
luisgutrod wrote:
somebody posted about somebody alread getting hurt ? Andreau ?
Found this beyond the paywall

"Andreu pushing back up while sessioning the bottom feature. Andreu had a big crash higher up on the mountain later in the day and is rumoured to have broken his collarbone. We have reached out with him for more details and will update when we hear back."
jonkranked
Fantasy
824th
10/13/2021 7:24am
sspomer wrote:
i agree w/ literally above frolf (is that offensive? don't mean it to be) doesn't require helicopters, dozens of safety/medical staff, logistics with state and federal...
i agree w/ literally above

frolf (is that offensive? don't mean it to be) doesn't require helicopters, dozens of safety/medical staff, logistics with state and federal authorities, not to mention any other host of costs required to run an event like rampage. if disc golf and rampage both raised $1m to run their event, think of how much $$ is left for disc golf prize purse vs rampage after logistics.

in no way am i saying rampage athletes shouldn't be rewarded handsomely for their performances, but comparing it to other sport payouts (like video gamers) doesn't go far IMO. rampage may get more *views* than other sports or events if everything is added up, but for someone/some company putting money into a marketing effort in hopes of selling the viewer something, rampage may not be as sticky as we mountain bike fans think it is.

regardless, i'm already stressed for the riders and will be watching with my eyes half-closed on game day.
welcome vital disc golf listeners (sorry couldn't help myself lol)

i have nothing against disc golf. it's pretty popular in the region where i live. my local DH mountain even has a disc golf course, the players take the lifts up then play their way down the mountain. i've shared lifts with them before, they were all nice folks. one of them even gave me a beer once. i'm not the kind of person to knock someone else because they're into a different sport or activity than i'm not.

i specifically wasn't making the comparison to other sports & competitions, sorry if i wasn't more clear about that. the point i was trying to get at is that even though rampage (and freeride in general) is arguably a niche sport within a niche sport, redbull considers it one of the premiere events out of all the sports they cover by including it as a signature series event. giving it network broadcast does get it to a larger audience. it wouldn't surprise me if more people watch it / see it than WC DH racing. with the sudden increase in the popularity of mountain biking, i wonder if there will be a corresponding increase in viewership for the event. it would be nice to see that translate into increased investments from the sponsors, but I'm not holding my breath. mountain biking in general has a fairly high cost of entry, and downhill/freeride is arguably higher when you consider proximity to adequate terrain.

and yes you're right, the athlete risk doesn't correlate into increased sponsorship money unfortunately. especially for an event where the entire infrastructure has to be transported in to the venue. i seem to recall reading somewhere a few years back that RB provides i think $5k to each rider for travel & building. not sure if that has increased in subsequent years. it isn't much, but it's something. not aware of any other events that do this (granted its a smaller rider field).

i've been following rampage from the early days, and as exciting as it is, i probably get more nervous watching it than any other mtb event, especially after 2015.
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
10/13/2021 7:28am
lol disc golfers.

red bull update from midnight Tuesday
--------------------------------------------
Weather may have caused a delay in our practice schedule today, but athletes made the most of it by continuing to chip away at their lines or fixing any features altered by rain. Sharing a brief update from today’s condensed session as well as useful info for the coming days.

10/13 - Wednesday – Course Build & Practice: Tomorrow’s practice schedule returns to normal with weather forecasted to be sunny, with a high near 59 degrees. Reminder that shuttles start at 8AM tomorrow. Lunch is served at 11:30AM – 1:00PM in the media tent.

COVID Testing: Everyone onsite will need to complete a COVID test tomorrow before entering the venue. Please bring proof of vaccination or a recent negative test result.

Cheers,
Keria

NEWS FROM THE MOUNTAIN
Yesterday blue skies transformed into ominous rain clouds, which released sheets of rain upon the mountains and mesas of southern Utah. The weather carried into this morning, bringing the week’s momentum to a standstill. Time is the most precious commodity at Red Bull Rampage. The athletes will need every last second to polish off their lines and prepare for Friday, and this morning’s waiting game was not ideal. Midday the thick clouds broke, revealing a fresh dusting of snow in the higher elevations. While beautiful, the precipitation made the venue inaccessible until the sun warmed things up. Finally, at 3:00 p.m. the riders were given the cue to return to the arena. For many, digging was short-lived. Antsy to get back on their bikes after the ill-timed wait, the riders chose to keep progressing as their diggers toiled away on their lines. Moving forward the weather forecast is looking more promising for practicing: clear sunny skies for the rest of the week.

The weather hold was a setback, but not a major one. Thankfully, the athletes capitalized on some calm conditions on Sunday and Monday, making significant strides towards linking their competition lines. Today’s evening session was an unexpected bonus. Many athletes began to inch higher on the course, using every drop of daylight to tick off more and more features. Given the collective progress and better weather on the horizon, things will only continue to ramp up tomorrow as we head into another day of practice.
Verbl Kint
10/13/2021 9:53am
Semenuk riding the single-crown and throwing barspins. Nice. [embed][/embed]
Semenuk riding the single-crown and throwing barspins. Nice.

He won at the same venue too. I think he's going to win again.

SB14
10/13/2021 11:22am
Haven’t seen any coverage of what Brage is doing. That is both cool, and uncool. Haha.
Edthorne
Fantasy
1944th
10/13/2021 11:42am
SB14 wrote:
Haven’t seen any coverage of what Brage is doing. That is both cool, and uncool. Haha.
There's a bit of info in here at the 2:00 mark, but still not much other than it's a new line, and he's not sure where it will go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqBQfNeW23g
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
10/14/2021 7:34am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2021 7:41am
how to watch red bull rampage - Red Bull TV
-------------------

Red Bull Rampage Improves Fan Viewing Experience
With New Innovative Offerings In 2021
State-of-the-Art Virtual Set, Updated Augmented Reality Features, and 5G Drone Technology
Powered by T-Mobile Added to Exclusive Red Bull TV Viewing Experience

Virgin, Utah (October 13, 2021) – This year, Red Bull Rampage fans watching from around the globe will be able to experience innovative new virtual production technologies added to the live broadcast, plus updated augmented reality features and added visual enhancements to the Red Bull TV app. Utilizing state-of-the-art virtual production technology and drone footage streamed over T-Mobile’s powerful 5G network, the broadcast will bring fans even closer to all the action and provide more viewing angles of the riders, course and lines than ever before, completely changing the way viewers experience the live event at home. Additionally, by using the latest A/R technology, viewers will be able to bring the entire mountain right into their living room – literally! The enhanced second screen experience will be available to mobile viewers on iOS and Android devices by downloading or updating the latest Red Bull TV app. The broadcast will air live beginning Friday, October 15th at 10am PT/1pm ET on Red Bull TV and will be available in eight languages including English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Polish, Spanish and Russian.

Virtual Set Powered by Kia
In 2019, the livestream received a Sports Emmy in Outstanding Digital Innovation for the use of its game-changing broadcast elements. This year, those elements are being expanded even further and viewers will receive a completely unique perspective of the mountain and the custom features each of the athletes have built for their runs by bringing a hyper-real 3D model to life on a virtual set during the livestream. The virtual production technology used here, as made famous in Disney’s “The Mandalorian”, is traditionally only used in studio and stadium settings, not in remote desert locations. To bring all this to life in just a matter of days, a footprint of 6 Unreal Engine super computers is used on-site to meet the tight turnaround time of not only creating the virtual set, but the 15 virtual previews of each rider’s line.

The technology provides viewers a new perspective of the iconic event by enabling the hosts to place a virtual camera anywhere on the mountain, leaving no blind spots anywhere on the entire course, which covers more than 4 million square feet and is heightened by the steep and elevated terrain. This allows the hosts as well as the viewers to check out every feature in detail, bringing added visibility to the tricks and analysis of each rider’s run.

Red Bull partnered with Phase One to capture the photorealistic 3D model of the course. The Phase One 3 payload used was equipped with a medium format Phase One iXM camera. It is designed specifically for photogrammetry and is the only one in existence in North America. The result is a 3D model made up of 2.6 billion polygons from over 2600 images of 100MP resolution each.

T-Mobile Brings 5G POV Drones and Connectivity to the Broadcast
Thrilling first-person T-Mobile 5G drone cameras will be integrated into the Red Bull Rampage broadcast for the first time. Made possible by the power of T-Mobile’s 5G network – the largest, fastest, and most reliable, according to umlaut, in America - the network will be used to transmit high-definition drone footage from the event. The 5G-connected POV drones will deliver immersive views as the world’s most elite freeriders take on the steep, rugged terrain of Southwestern Utah.

Red Bull TV Augmented Reality App
The hyper 3D model of the venue is also showcased on the Red Bull TV A/R app experience (which was nominated for the Best Visual Media Experience award at SXSW in 2018) where users can replay athlete’s runs and compare and analyze differences between multiple rider lines. The 3D A/R model of the mountain is accurate to scale and photo realistic, allowing users to zoom in and move around the course at the touch of their fingertips.

The Team and Partners
Featuring a world-class broadcast team including Selema Masekela, Pat Parnell, Tina Dixon and freeride mountain biking legend Cam McCaul, Red Bull Rampage live coverage begins Friday, October 15th beginning at 10am PT/1pm ET exclusively on Red Bull TV. The event is supported by 100%, Adidas 5.10, Backcountry, BFGoodrich, GoPro, Kia, KMC, Maverik, Michelin, Polaris, Phase One, Shimano, T-Mobile, and the Utah Sports Commission. Thanks to the following sponsors for presenting these special awards that will be voted on and decided at the conclusion of the event:

Toughness Award by BFGoodrich
Style Award by Michelin
Digger Award by Kia
Best Trick Award by Utah Sports Commission

To stay up to date on the latest Red Bull Rampage event information, follow @RedBullBike and visit the event website here.

###

ABOUT RED BULL RAMPAGE
Red Bull Rampage has become the truest test of skill and mental toughness on a mountain bike. Touted as one of the most challenging events in the world, featuring the world’s best athletes and set in one of the most demanding locations on the planet, the event has become the most coveted title in freeride mountain biking. This year marks the 20-year anniversary of some of the biggest and baddest tricks, lines, and moments in freeriding history. The inaugural Red Bull Rampage was held in 2001, and since then, 14 different events and 9 different winners have earmarked their place in the history books. For the 20th anniversary, get ready to celebrate as we not only look back at some of the best moments and stories from over the years, but also highlight the progression, tricks and technology that have shaped the contest throughout the years. For more information on Red Bull Rampage, go to the event website here.

ABOUT RED BULL TV
Red Bull TV brings you beyond the ordinary live events and videos featuring inspirational stories covering sports, music, and lifestyle entertainment. Anytime, anywhere. Download the Red Bull TV app now for free and enjoy unrivalled access to sports events, esports, music and dance videos, movies, clips, documentaries, and series.
ABOUT UTAH SPORTS COMMISSION:
The Utah Sports Commission is a not-for-profit 501c3 charitable organization governed by an all-volunteer Board of Trustees consisting of statewide sports, business, community, and government leaders. The Sports Commission was created to be a catalyst for Utah in its Olympic legacy efforts and to help enhance Utah's economy, image and quality of life through the attraction, promotion and development of national and international sports. The Sports Commission works closely with communities, sports entities, and organizations to provide event services ranging from the bid process, on-site logistics, volunteer coordination, sponsorships and promotional opportunities and other related services. For more information, visit www.utahsportscommission.com
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
10/14/2021 7:55am
please tell me the "toughness award" isn't about getting wrecked and still going. i looked for deets and found nothing. anyone know? speaking of getting wrecked...2003

fun fact for old people, before it was clappin' yo dome, it was called RC Flipoff b/c i had (still have) a remote controlled flip off machine. i have the original VHS draft of it and backstreet boys was the rampage section. thanks to Instagram, backstreet boys is now legal to use.
Falcon
10/14/2021 8:57am
"Additionally, by using the latest A/R technology, viewers will be able to bring the entire mountain right into their living room – literally!"

I don't think RedBull understands the literal meaning of "literally."
owl-x
Fantasy
1089th
10/14/2021 12:57pm
Falcon wrote:
[i]"Additionally, by using the latest A/R technology, viewers will be able to bring the entire mountain right into their living room – literally!"[/i] I don't think...
"Additionally, by using the latest A/R technology, viewers will be able to bring the entire mountain right into their living room – literally!"

I don't think RedBull understands the literal meaning of "literally."
the definition of literally changed a few years ago...it now includes "virtually."

this only affects those of us who use words, though, so it's not so bad

owl-x
Fantasy
1089th
10/14/2021 1:02pm
the practice day is better than the competition day. so heavy!

O1D4
Fantasy
842nd
10/14/2021 2:07pm
jonkranked wrote:
Zink went down hard. Heard a rumor he may be injured but have yet to see anything to substantiate that. Edit with ig video link https://www.instagram.com/p/CVBVWHNBGHB/?utm_medium=copy_link
Zink went down hard. Heard a rumor he may be injured but have yet to see anything to substantiate that.

Edit with ig video link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVBVWHNBGHB/?utm_medium=copy_link
damn... which landing was he going for? he was right on the edge of the looker's right one but not sure he was actually aiming for that one?
beaverbiker
10/14/2021 3:06pm
sspomer wrote:
please tell me the "toughness award" isn't about getting wrecked and still going. i looked for deets and found nothing. anyone know? speaking of getting wrecked...2003...
please tell me the "toughness award" isn't about getting wrecked and still going. i looked for deets and found nothing. anyone know? speaking of getting wrecked...2003

fun fact for old people, before it was clappin' yo dome, it was called RC Flipoff b/c i had (still have) a remote controlled flip off machine. i have the original VHS draft of it and backstreet boys was the rampage section. thanks to Instagram, backstreet boys is now legal to use.
Oh man, Clappin' Yo Dome...such a freaking classic!
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
10/14/2021 3:14pm
text from zink "just a bruised lung, good to go."
beaverbiker
10/14/2021 3:19pm
sspomer wrote:
text from zink "just a bruised lung, good to go."
What a Legend. That was a brutal slam.
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
10/14/2021 5:18pm
jon, embedding for you. gnarly, bent frame, cracked wheel! re: embeds not sure about phone, if you're on a laptop, there are 3 little dots in upper right of an insta post. click it, you'll see "embed" - grab that code and just paste into the body here (it's insanely long/complicated...be warned, once you make the post, editing will be a major PIA here).

Post a reply to: Rampage 2021

The Latest