Anybody buying these enDHuro sub-200 dual crown builds? Are they valid or cheap fan service?

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st

Giant Reign, Norco Shore, Slayers, Status 170, new Marin, etc etc

Most of these bikes have a standard single crown counterpart. And some of the brands have a 'true' DH bike that is maybe twice the price of these endurbro builds. And these builds are still often gonna end up costing more than a basic YT Tues or maybe Commencal FRS. So why did you buy one? Where does it slot in to your riding style or quiver in general?

I suppose it's particularly egregious when they have a DH drivetrain and rigid seat post and are called a 'park build' all while costing more than the single crown build presumably due to the fork cost.

Is this an important build to anyone? Or basically a 'budget DH bike' for fans of brands who either no longer have a true DH or are only making a single model that is carbon only and eye wateringly expensive (a la Giant Glory).

And ultimately... Did you regret it? Did you wish you went with the single crown/dropper/12sp model or maybe a 'proper' 200/200 DH rig instead?

Poll

Whats your thoughts on sub-200 dual crown enDHurbro 'park' builds?

Choices
|
segamethod
Fantasy
15th
10/11/2024 1:26pm

Pretty sure these builds exist to outfit bike parks with their rental fleet for the year.

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/11/2024 1:46pm

Well presumably (I could be wrong) a bunch of them are sitting in warehouses to be bought from the brand. As well as I know for a fact I've seen one at The Path in orange county, that Giant Reign. And I'm also assuming most of the time it's the exact same frame, at most a different link if needed. So, minimum orders from the factory could be a thing but ultimately I still see 200mm DH bikes and run of the mill enduro bikes at most bike parks. May be a much bigger thing in Canada with Norco and RM and many, many bike parks?

And I suppose that's another thing, haven't really seen one in the wild aside from a reign at the path sitting there waiting to be bought. I know around here in SoCal the much more popular thing is an enduro ebike, and with YTs prices people can get em for nearly the same cost as these non-motorized builds. So the crowd I would kinda see appreciating these already has a very good alternative (for non-bike park use).

NoahColorado
Fantasy
2448th
10/11/2024 2:11pm

I've "park-specced" a few enduro bikes (Pivot Firebirds, Fezzari La Sals) with dual-crown forks and dedicated wheelsets, and it definitely "ups" their capability and enjoyment for lift-assisted riding. But I personally wouldn't make it my everyday ride. In fact, I usually go the other way any try to make my "enduro" bikes more "trail-bikey." 

airwreck
10/11/2024 3:10pm

I have a Shore Park as my current dh bike and my son recently replaced his dh with a Range that he hasn't ridden in the bike park yet. I'm satisfied with it for dh but of course I'm always curious about all the other dh bikes out there. I do think the high pivot makes me less concerned about the 190 travel. I have a drive train, 180 Zeb, lighter tires and external dropper that I will try on it but not expecting it to be long term as I'm more interested in riding it as a dh bike and I have other bikes. My son is loving the Range for his pedal up riding even though it's too much bike. He also wants to mod it for dh next summer. 

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/11/2024 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2024 3:37pm
airwreck wrote:
I have a Shore Park as my current dh bike and my son recently replaced his dh with a Range that he hasn't ridden in the...

I have a Shore Park as my current dh bike and my son recently replaced his dh with a Range that he hasn't ridden in the bike park yet. I'm satisfied with it for dh but of course I'm always curious about all the other dh bikes out there. I do think the high pivot makes me less concerned about the 190 travel. I have a drive train, 180 Zeb, lighter tires and external dropper that I will try on it but not expecting it to be long term as I'm more interested in riding it as a dh bike and I have other bikes. My son is loving the Range for his pedal up riding even though it's too much bike. He also wants to mod it for dh next summer. 

ya thats probably the best one of all the downduro builds. might not even feel significantly different to a 200mm DH.

but blown away by the ones like the Reign which are 165mm... to 190 dual crown. no high pivot lol. and apparently advent X with no dropper for 5k. alloy 😳 

the status at least down shafts that thing to 170/180 so its probly pretty balanced and just feels like an extra stiff enduro

edit: or even gnarlier, Kona Process DH has 162mm travel to 190 dual crown. at least its coil?

also Chainsaw DH is 170/190. and Propain made a park Spindrift.

NoahColorado
Fantasy
2448th
10/11/2024 4:08pm

You know, before "enduro" we used have these things called "freeride" bikes, so it's not a new concept. 

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/11/2024 4:17pm

well depending on the type of freeriding you're doing, single crown was still the ideal move for barspins/tailwhips. I will still find a way to bring up the fact that the Kona Process 167 is the best mountain bike ever made lol

I think my question is not just about design, which is def still dubious, but also definitely value proposition. Though I can see the take of 'i have a DH bike AND an enduro/FR bike, depending on which fork I run'.

I mean one of the few bikes that outright put 'FR' in the name, the Scott Voltage, was ultimately a 190/180 single crown. Also with no dropper and a DH drivetrain. So I guess it's kinda interesting we're working the opposite way now.

pacojo
10/11/2024 4:29pm

as someone with a Stumpy Evo and the desire for a bigger 2nd bike for both lift-assisted and winch/plummet riding, I like that these DH builds exist. not because I'll buy one, but because it indirectly gives me the option to get e.g. a Status 170 frame and swap between a 180mm single-crown fork and a 190mm dual-crown. I don't ride enough park to justify owning a big bike I can't also pedal (slowly) up the hill, so this seems like a good middle ground to still experience some of that dual-crown magic you guys all rave about.

bulletbass man
Fantasy
169th
10/11/2024 5:09pm

Personally I’m about to convert my spire into one of these bikes.  At least for the winter.  Not trying to lose that dc fun factor but trying to avoid push up laps.

thejake
10/11/2024 5:35pm

My Evil Insurgent is set up with a dual crown.  Was my primary ride for a long time.  I’m a bigger dude (240 lbs geared up) and there were two main benefits.  First the direct mount stem is just more confidence inspiring.  Second you get more travel with out slackening your bike way out.   The fork I have is an MRP Bartlett.  Other than a slight weight penalty and having to set up properly for really tight switch back (which you should anyway) there are no draw backs.  My bike still has a wide range cassette and dropper, I know some of these bikes don’t have that and are truly “mini DH bikes” 

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/11/2024 5:43pm
thejake wrote:
My Evil Insurgent is set up with a dual crown.  Was my primary ride for a long time.  I’m a bigger dude (240 lbs geared up)...

My Evil Insurgent is set up with a dual crown.  Was my primary ride for a long time.  I’m a bigger dude (240 lbs geared up) and there were two main benefits.  First the direct mount stem is just more confidence inspiring.  Second you get more travel with out slackening your bike way out.   The fork I have is an MRP Bartlett.  Other than a slight weight penalty and having to set up properly for really tight switch back (which you should anyway) there are no draw backs.  My bike still has a wide range cassette and dropper, I know some of these bikes don’t have that and are truly “mini DH bikes” 

That's what I'd want, especially for a brand new build. And arguably more so what my original point was about. Spending more on an alloy 'DH' bike with less travel seemed... Awkward. But a fully featured enduro bike with a dual crown sounds nice even for higher prices. Dropper and wide range drivetrain included. If I'm being saddled with a DH drivetrain and no dropper I'm confuzzled on why I wouldn't just go Tues or similar (for damn near half the price).

AndyAndy
10/11/2024 6:48pm

There is a market of people who dont know much about online retailers and will buy whatever the local shop has because it looks cool. Think about the market for who buys a bike but rarely ever rides it, wants something good, but not crazy expensive. $4-5000 (getting into it price). Dual crowns look pretty cool too and its probably for bike park use and bigger travel is more macho. Its no different then car sales.  Most people shop with emotion, not reason.

trexyz
10/11/2024 10:20pm
thejake wrote:
My Evil Insurgent is set up with a dual crown.  Was my primary ride for a long time.  I’m a bigger dude (240 lbs geared up)...

Same here. I love the feeling of a dual crown fork. The other cool thing is that you can swap the fork. I also have a zeb which I use occasionally. Bike handling is really good but you have less travel. I would love a full dh bike, the new Phoenix accepts dropper posts. I’d like to try that one on a “enduro” setup. Bigger cassete and full travel fork. Sounds like an interesting project.

iceman2058
Fantasy
146th
10/12/2024 2:08am

For the park rats, depending on what trails you actually ride, a shorter travel bike may make the most sense. A lot of full-on DH bikes feel a bit "sleddy", if you spend all your time on A-Line. But yeah, these kinds of builds will always be pretty niche, that's for sure. I had a good time when I did a "downduro" conversion of my Capra back in 2020, I liked how the bike rode. It didn't feel unbalanced at all (but then my build was 170/180 of course, so that was probably to be expected): https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/The-Downduro-Project-Dual-Crown-and-a….

Knightrider
Fantasy
3196th
10/12/2024 10:12am

I ride a polygon collosus N9 with a Ohlins DH38 at 170mm travel, and 25mm stem. With 12 speeds drivetrain and dropper. I like it better than when it was SC, but what I really want is a pedal-able DH bike with gearbox. Right now only some e-bikes come specced as enduro with DC fork.

Like above said, these bikes with 7 speeds and no dropper are more like park fleet bikes. 

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/12/2024 11:00am
I ride a polygon collosus N9 with a Ohlins DH38 at 170mm travel, and 25mm stem. With 12 speeds drivetrain and dropper. I like it better...

I ride a polygon collosus N9 with a Ohlins DH38 at 170mm travel, and 25mm stem. With 12 speeds drivetrain and dropper. I like it better than when it was SC, but what I really want is a pedal-able DH bike with gearbox. Right now only some e-bikes come specced as enduro with DC fork.

Like above said, these bikes with 7 speeds and no dropper are more like park fleet bikes. 

ya ive only seen that turbo kenevo thing, which is still downshafted to 180/180.

I actually recently saw this insane build which I know is still SC but I think this thing is a nuts build: https://us.scor-mtb.com/products/6080-z-lt-gx-usa-bikes-scr-24-16121-001 

180/190, MX, bosch motor. and somehow the price seems not bad for a SCOR emtb? arent they still selling base NX builds for 5k lol

but ya sadly I think closest thing to what you want is buying the enduro Norco Shore and slapping a DC on it. Also need the aftermarket link to make it 190 instead of 180? Or is it just a different stroke that still clears? dunno

sethimus
Fantasy
2434th
10/12/2024 11:07am

kids these days won't remember this, but there used to be mini dh bikes. 

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/12/2024 11:35am
sethimus wrote:

Like Big Hits? 190/200?

Those were awesome and they make me jealous that the kids THESE days gets 26/27 mullet Status builds, but I'm too big to try to use that reach lol

to this day i'd still kill for a 2015 status DH build. and I know Specialized stuck a DC on the enduro 'evo' one year

and yeah maybe wouldnt love riding a stinky in 2024 but i'd absolutely take a Process 167 off someones hands lol

Knightrider
Fantasy
3196th
10/12/2024 11:51am
I ride a polygon collosus N9 with a Ohlins DH38 at 170mm travel, and 25mm stem. With 12 speeds drivetrain and dropper. I like it better...

LePigPen wrote:
ya ive only seen that turbo kenevo thing, which is still downshafted to 180/180.I actually recently saw this insane build which I know is still SC...

ya ive only seen that turbo kenevo thing, which is still downshafted to 180/180.

I actually recently saw this insane build which I know is still SC but I think this thing is a nuts build: https://us.scor-mtb.com/products/6080-z-lt-gx-usa-bikes-scr-24-16121-001 

180/190, MX, bosch motor. and somehow the price seems not bad for a SCOR emtb? arent they still selling base NX builds for 5k lol

but ya sadly I think closest thing to what you want is buying the enduro Norco Shore and slapping a DC on it. Also need the aftermarket link to make it 190 instead of 180? Or is it just a different stroke that still clears? dunno

Not interested in stock bikes anymore,  for not too much money I can find a fabricator to fabricate a one off frame or have a minimum quantity order to a frame manufacturer.

matmattmatthew
10/13/2024 7:21am
sethimus wrote:

The words “mini DH bike” just brought something back from the recesses of my mind.  I’ve owned a lot (like 40+) different bikes in my 28 years of riding.  In college, around the time the Athertons were on Commencal,  they came out with a mini DH bike, which I bought, I think it was literally called the Supreme Mini DH.  I think it was my first attempt at a “quiver killer” bike and was likely the first bike where I had separate wheelsets, one XC and one DH.  Problem was, it absolutely sucked at XC and wasn’t DH enough to keep up with my buddies on DH bikes when riding true DH tracks.  I think I only rode it for a few months before going back to a dedicated XC and DH bike.  

Around that same time, mid-00’s,  there were a bunch of companies that had multiple bikes marketed for DH.  I think for years Intense had the M3 and the Socom.  I think for a few years transition had 2 “DH” bikes.  The collegiate conference I raced in was filled with guys on mini or watered down DH bikes because most of our courses were fairly tame,  a lot of people would also race Slalom on the same bike.  I remember a guy from Les McRrae that would kill it in slalom on his dual crown Socom.  Problem was, those of us that would make it to nationals were in for a rude awakening on our smaller bikes.  One year at Angel Fire,  almost everyone from our conference got smoked by all the Colorado boys on proper DH rigs.  

10/13/2024 11:54am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2024 11:55am

Regular weekend warriors don’t need full-on dh-bikes nowadays, today a 170-180mm bike is more than capable on every dh-course. Or ride an endurofied dh-bike, like me (with a dropper and a widish range cassette) - not that i don’t want an enduro i can slap my Dorado up front on, but at the moment am not willing to spend money on a new frame! On top of this, i’m too picky with a frame’s details and standards and at the moment the only non-dh frame i’d be happy with is the Devinci Chainsaw which isn’t sold in my country… 

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/13/2024 12:13pm
Regular weekend warriors don’t need full-on dh-bikes nowadays, today a 170-180mm bike is more than capable on every dh-course. Or ride an endurofied dh-bike, like me...

Regular weekend warriors don’t need full-on dh-bikes nowadays, today a 170-180mm bike is more than capable on every dh-course. Or ride an endurofied dh-bike, like me (with a dropper and a widish range cassette) - not that i don’t want an enduro i can slap my Dorado up front on, but at the moment am not willing to spend money on a new frame! On top of this, i’m too picky with a frame’s details and standards and at the moment the only non-dh frame i’d be happy with is the Devinci Chainsaw which isn’t sold in my country… 

ya i think the money part is the most interesting element to this narrative. as almost all the dual crown park rigs are more expensive not only compared to their SC counterparts but to your run of the mill Tues or FuRiouS.

the shore is 5k. DH status is 4500. SX reign also 5k. the kona is supposed to be 3500 if they're still doing it. Marin is 4800. apparently the base Spindrift is 3200 even with DC, interesting. Chainsaw is 4500.

but yeah I guess the idea is, if the bike actually works well with both forks... you have 'two' bikes for ~5k. where as buying two solid bikes that are AM/enduro and DH... ya know cheapest that could be with YTs is like ~6k

meanwhile if you want a 200/200 DH from Giant or Specialized the barrier to entry is 7k or 8500... Oof (only brand with a park enduro build and 200mm build at similar prices is probly Propain)

which is why i kinda call em cheap fan service. not even saying they're bad bikes. just strange values in a market with a 3k Tues or whatever

rpsteiger
10/13/2024 1:52pm

I think those 180 DH bikes, fill a niche for a certain rider that wants his bike to be better suited for fun riding at the park (set up for jumping I assume). I lack experience with downhill bikes, but I could imagine that a Commencal Supreme isn't as fun for jumping than maybe a Canyon Torque. Am I wrong? Most of the free riders for Canyon are on the Torque I think and the AL Tye for the Propaine riders. Honestly to me it seems that many modern DH bikes are way too racy for most consumers.

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
10/13/2024 3:26pm
rpsteiger wrote:
I think those 180 DH bikes, fill a niche for a certain rider that wants his bike to be better suited for fun riding at the...

I think those 180 DH bikes, fill a niche for a certain rider that wants his bike to be better suited for fun riding at the park (set up for jumping I assume). I lack experience with downhill bikes, but I could imagine that a Commencal Supreme isn't as fun for jumping than maybe a Canyon Torque. Am I wrong? Most of the free riders for Canyon are on the Torque I think and the AL Tye for the Propaine riders. Honestly to me it seems that many modern DH bikes are way too racy for most consumers.

im sure its possible to get some pop out of high pivot, with tuning, but yeah a high pivot bike with a coil spring is gonna be so forgiving and soft you may struggle to inject pop back into it.

Commencal is one of the few brands that legit says... if you wanna race, here's a Supreme... if you want to ride park, consider the FuRiouS instead. which is kinda cool of course.

it def seems that the average DH bike now is 'for racing' or just wide open large jump laps... and not much else (although you can say that for MOST bike being sold right now, long slack low big wheel big travel etc)

YT tues and Commencal FRS seem to be the only 'steeper' shorter wheelbase rigs, and with dual 27. almost entire industry is effectively done with it at least for larger sizes. MX or 29er or have fun on secondhand marketplace.

i wonder if there are 'more' DH rigs available now, or less. because part of me thinks that category is struggling a bit with not only weaker industry but definitely how capable and practical long travel enduros are. so that could be it. and there you go, with those frame already selling well its just easy to chuck a DC on it, actually rip off the wide range and dropper, and STILL upcharge for it lol

Simcik
1 day ago

This seems to be the return of the freeride bike as Noah mentioned. The originals being the Slayer, the Bullit, the Uzzi, the Shore and a few others. Then bikes like the TR250, Scream and others. They either got dual crown 170 forks or later Totems and 36 180s. We pedaled around these 45 pounders without dropper posts and took them to the DH park. They weren't great anywhere but were pretty worth it when the terrain trended downwards or the lips were mellower. Who can forget the ladder bridges either?

Today's DH bikes seem so race focused IMO that bikes like this finally have a place again. Zeb or Boxxer and a little mellower geo, poppier suspension and they will be a blast in the bike park

Slavid666
Fantasy
987th
1 day ago

I think that its worth taking into consideration that suspension quality over quantity plays a big part of it. Less travel that has better kinematics will feel like it has more bump eating capability than its longer legged opponent. My Raaw Madonna only has 160mm of travel but compared to my stumpy evo that extra 10mm feels a lot more like 20-30mm. I wasn't sure if a longer travel DC fork was going to even work, balance wise, but after bumping my zeb to 180 and spending a decent amount of time in the part with this this season, I have no issue putting a short-stroked DC on it, and will be picking up a Dh38 this offseason for park and DH shuttles next season.

No matter what shock I ran on the St Evo it could never match the level of chunk erasing ability of the Madonna. It, the Madonna, blows away my old 26" DH sled, by a landslide. 

NoahColorado
Fantasy
2448th
1 day ago

Have we forgotten the venerable Kona Stinky? I was thinking this weekend how weird it was that there wasn't a single Kona at Rampage.

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
1 day ago

you had me until 'blows away my old 26 DH' lol

I think this thread is still more about... a kinda apples to apples comparison of this brand is literally selling the same enduro rig with SC and DC options... as well as they may have a DH bike to compare it to. but ya the DH bike seems to always be a 'race' bike (again, only exception may be Propain technically)

and in terms of comparison, im sure the 27 inch tues with bomber stuff isnt 'the best' but... cant help but reckon the overall build would still offer more than the DC enduro rigs for appropriate usage (even bike park flow?) and for seemingly less money 😳 

i think im just blown away by the audacity of the kona and Giant builds (whereas the Shore one actually makes a lot of sense). Basic press fit frames with Guide T brakes (kona) or Microshift drivetrain (Giant) its just mind boggling. but i suppose as this thread goes on the original response of 'its for bike parks to have a DC 'DH' bike, begins to make a lot of sense.

LePigPen
Fantasy
151st
1 day ago

Have we forgotten the venerable Kona Stinky? I was thinking this weekend how weird it was that there wasn't a single Kona at Rampage.

the Stinky. the Process 167. even the new Process 'X' builds seem pretty sick especially under the likes of somebody like Shreddie Reynolds

that said Kona had the audacity to release this abomination so its hard to trust in them going forward lol https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/bikes/kona/process-x-45021 

Guide. T. Brakes. plz tell me thats a typo. for 4700 lol. I think the re-buy as re-evaluated them at 3500 to get rid of them...

Slavid666
Fantasy
987th
1 day ago
LePigPen wrote:
you had me until 'blows away my old 26 DH' lolI think this thread is still more about... a kinda apples to apples comparison of this...

you had me until 'blows away my old 26 DH' lol

I think this thread is still more about... a kinda apples to apples comparison of this brand is literally selling the same enduro rig with SC and DC options... as well as they may have a DH bike to compare it to. but ya the DH bike seems to always be a 'race' bike (again, only exception may be Propain technically)

and in terms of comparison, im sure the 27 inch tues with bomber stuff isnt 'the best' but... cant help but reckon the overall build would still offer more than the DC enduro rigs for appropriate usage (even bike park flow?) and for seemingly less money 😳 

i think im just blown away by the audacity of the kona and Giant builds (whereas the Shore one actually makes a lot of sense). Basic press fit frames with Guide T brakes (kona) or Microshift drivetrain (Giant) its just mind boggling. but i suppose as this thread goes on the original response of 'its for bike parks to have a DC 'DH' bike, begins to make a lot of sense.

TBH DH bikes didn't progress much tech wise until the term Kinematics even became commonplace in MTB vernacular, that was only really in the last 5-6 years. Look at how little geo changed for instance with DH bikes. A 26" DH bike was the last that I owned but not the last that I rode, my point is still valid. At the end of the day the build is not as important at the core engineering that goes into the bike. The status, while a great bike for the price, gets overwhelmed very, very easily in legit DH race dblack trails. Putting a DC fork on a 180mm Status isn't going to change the fact that it won't handle chunk at pace...

After I posted my reply, I thought about the context of the argument. If your definition of DH park riding is laps of A-line then sure, kinematics won't matter much, lapping in-deep or 1199 different story. I haven't ridden anything except for the status, but all I can say is that my St Evo setup Air/Air with 150/160mm travel was a lot better than the new gen status, and that was with nearly identical fork and shock spec, 36 and float X. Upping the game to a coil/coil setup at 150/170mm on the st evo made it significantly better, and the Madonna is an order of magnitude better than that. 

A cheap park bike is still going to be a cheap park bike. If jump trails are your jam then cool run what you brung, set it up stiff and have fun! If lapping chunky DH race laps are float your boat you might be better served riding something that has more of specific focus on good suspension kinematics, that status does not.

My buddies and I have been arguing about this for the last year. After riding some of the newer enduro bikes and my Contra falling through, I feel that an over forked super enduro with a DC isnt a bad way to go, but that being said I didn't do a budget build and won't be putting a cheap DC fork on the bike either. I'll take less travel with higher end suspension, ohlins/ext etc over more travel with the garbage that comes on the lower end spec'd bikes. 

Post a reply to: Anybody buying these enDHuro sub-200 dual crown builds? Are they valid or cheap fan service?

The Latest