2024 Mont-Sainte-Anne World Cup Downhill

sspomer
Fantasy
50th

The last race of the 2024 World Cup season is upon us at the classic Mont-Sainte-Anne venue. Hot off the heels of a fantastic US Open weekend, this is the place to post about MSA. 

Weather looks chilly, but clear so far.

Official race website

- https://www.coupedumonde-mtb-msa.com/en

Official race book

- https://ucimtbworldseries.com/content/23867/01J94MB0QPQW60VSX2TSWA0881.pdf

Live timing (not yet active at time of post)

- https://prod.chronorace.be/angular/results.html#/uci/event/20241004_mtb

Vital DH Fantasy (game will open when start list is received)

- https://www.vitalmtb.com/fantasy/2024/mont-sainte-anne

Screen Shot 2024-10-02 at 9.26.32 AMScreen Shot 2024-10-02 at 9.26.22 AM
|
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
10/2/2024 10:47am

pit bits bike weight video. have also been told track is rad with some good changes.

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
1 day ago

that slab section near the end is so scary looking. it's always mind-blowing how fast they go through there with all those nasty rocks aiming at their faces.

casey79
Fantasy
1219th
1 day ago

Weather looks reasonably good. Especially compared to the rainy European “summer”. 

IMG 6721

1 day ago

Yeah the track looks insane this year. The mix of fresh berms and jumps, right into completely untouched raw sections with annoyingly placed rocks and roots is awesome. I always get nervous that they're going to change MSA too much, but they always leave the sections that make it iconic. I swear the lower rock garden looks more messed every year haha

dolface
Fantasy
594th
1 day ago

PB just posted that Asa's out w/ a fractured T6...

mfoga
Fantasy
180th
1 day ago
dolface wrote:

Wasn’t that already revealed least week at US Open.

1 day ago
dolface wrote:

mfoga wrote:

Wasn’t that already revealed least week at US Open.

I THINK the message had been suggesting he was taking the time off so he'd be able to do MSA.

I kind of assumed if he wasn't riding last week that he'd probably not be riding this week...but I just turn 170 years old so I don't remember how quickly these kids these days bounce back with all their nutrition and doctors and good attitude and recovery days and hope for the future.

1 day ago Edited Date/Time 1 day ago

I actually recorded a podcast with Asa today to chat about his first season racing World Cups—the highs, lows, lessons learned, and all that good stuff. The podcast is live, and YouTube is uploading now. Was a really fun convo and it was sweet to get to know a bit more about Asa. A full Inside Line podcast with him is for sure needed in the future. 

Yup, he's out for MSA. There wasn't much of a question if he would try to race after finding out the state of his back injury. But as you'll hear in the conversation, Asa has ridden injured all season, so for him, it was tough to make the call to not push through and still race. 

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
1 day ago
I THINK the message had been suggesting he was taking the time off so he'd be able to do MSA.I kind of assumed if he wasn't...

I THINK the message had been suggesting he was taking the time off so he'd be able to do MSA.

I kind of assumed if he wasn't riding last week that he'd probably not be riding this week...but I just turn 170 years old so I don't remember how quickly these kids these days bounce back with all their nutrition and doctors and good attitude and recovery days and hope for the future.

"...with all their nutrition and doctors and good attitude and recovery days and hope for the future."

SOLID old man weariness there, 10/10 can relate 😂

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
1 day ago

Listen in as the riders talk about the last World Cup of the year, press conference from MSA:

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
1 day ago

Greg Minnaar's last track walk as a World Cup rider - at 8mn10 there's a hilarious exchange between Greg and Gracey as they get to the Simba gap, famously pioneered by Greg ("really?" " what do you mean really?" 😂😂😂):

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
1 day ago

More Minnaar love with this short-but-sweet career highlight reel. You could argue it feels bit strange that it should be Norco putting this together after so much history with the Syndicate, but also appropriate since Norco is the one providing a landing spot for Greg for the next step in his career as he goes onto to head up their racing program in 2025. We're stoked for what's to come too!

iceman2058
Fantasy
149th
1 day ago

Another high-profile retirement as George Brannigan steps back from the World Cup:

Stiksandstones
Fantasy
449th
1 day ago

I was one of many that was concerned about this October MSA when it first landed on the calendar last year, but, the weather this weekend (and kinda last year) wasn't the predicted "it will be snowing there!?!?! how could they!?"...and it's producing some epic images with the fall foliage...so ya, I am loving this October MSA and extending racing into the fall. Can't wait for this weekend, sadly last one of the year. Get those Vital Fantasy teams dialed! last chance!

Stiksandstones
Fantasy
449th
1 day ago Edited Date/Time 1 day ago
iceman2058 wrote:
Greg Minnaar's last track walk as a World Cup rider - at 8mn10 there's a hilarious exchange between Greg and Gracey as they get to the...

Greg Minnaar's last track walk as a World Cup rider - at 8mn10 there's a hilarious exchange between Greg and Gracey as they get to the Simba gap, famously pioneered by Greg ("really?" " what do you mean really?" 😂😂😂):

I learned long ago, the youth tend to not know their MTB history, I mean it's not their fault, a lot of this stuff wasn't on the internet back in the day. But I do have a funny anecdote on youth and history;

So, I was the head of a major apparel and protection brand for 12 years, in 2013 or so, I wanted to meet these young rippers from the east coast I had heard about, Luca and Walker Shaw. They came out to the sea otter, just groms. They were with their dad Doug Shaw (salt of the earth) who was cyclist himself and I think we can thank Doug for teaching the boys some MTB history. Anyway, met them in the parking lot of the sea otter, and they proceeded to tell me stories of watching VHS tapes of John Tomac racing world cup DH-I was blown away and that was the instant approval for me hahaha, signed the boys up and pretty much worked with them my entire time I was at that brand.

At any rate, that Greg and Gracey clip was funny, gonna miss ole Gregory on the world cup, no dispute his GOATness and not just in duration of career which is unmatched and will never be seen of again, the amount of time he was on top. Incredible! and to think he did a LOT of that incredible racing while hungover! Wink

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
1 day ago

qualifying start lists just sent out via PDF. will get fantasy rolling asap.

117 elite men

34 elite women

58 jr men

14 jr women

piggy
23 hours ago

I feel a bit bad for Norco - not sure they got great value from Greg this season in spite of his greatness.  That, and they won't be a top 20 team so I'm not sure they'll have a WCDH effort next year.  I assume they'll need a wildcard.

26isdead
Fantasy
4050th
23 hours ago
piggy wrote:
I feel a bit bad for Norco - not sure they got great value from Greg this season in spite of his greatness.  That, and they...

I feel a bit bad for Norco - not sure they got great value from Greg this season in spite of his greatness.  That, and they won't be a top 20 team so I'm not sure they'll have a WCDH effort next year.  I assume they'll need a wildcard.

I'd disagree. I've never seen so much coverage of the Norco team until this year once they signed the GOAT. The value in a world cup team is getting coverage for your brand.

My money is on they'll get a wildcard entry for next year. Gracey is still a top 10 rider just had some bad luck this season. And with Greg's supposed retirement they will be signing another 1-2 top riders. 

veefour
Fantasy
315th
22 hours ago

They were flying! At least up until the 3 minute mark where Ronan came to a sudden halt.

StudBeefpile
Fantasy
974th
21 hours ago
piggy wrote:
I feel a bit bad for Norco - not sure they got great value from Greg this season in spite of his greatness.  That, and they...

26isdead wrote:
I'd disagree. I've never seen so much coverage of the Norco team until this year once they signed the GOAT. The value in a world cup...

I'd disagree. I've never seen so much coverage of the Norco team until this year once they signed the GOAT. The value in a world cup team is getting coverage for your brand.

My money is on they'll get a wildcard entry for next year. Gracey is still a top 10 rider just had some bad luck this season. And with Greg's supposed retirement they will be signing another 1-2 top riders. 

Yup, they have a yt series now and buzz about their new DH bike.  Sure hes not on the box but that doesn't matter.  Also, I havn't read his press release today so I may be wrong, but hes staying on with the brand to help with development of the bike and race team.  Which while results are a good thing, its shown that Greg knows what a good DH bike is and how to build one. 

LePigPen
Fantasy
179th
19 hours ago

Sooo... Are these bikes that have significantly changed from the proto process?

Orrr just standard carbon Phoenix basically

I guess now I'm just wondering what was being experimented with on that proto

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
19 hours ago

holy crap, vital raw from today. they're going SO fast already. terrifying.

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
17 hours ago

Junior action from today. Nutters

sspomer
Fantasy
50th
17 hours ago
LePigPen wrote:
Sooo... Are these bikes that have significantly changed from the proto process?Orrr just standard carbon Phoenix basicallyI guess now I'm just wondering what was being experimented...

Sooo... Are these bikes that have significantly changed from the proto process?

Orrr just standard carbon Phoenix basically

I guess now I'm just wondering what was being experimented with on that proto

production phoenix bikes that aren't too different to the protos. the lugged versions were to sort out geo and finer details etc before production. official launch is tomorrow morn. we'll have a feature. our stock S4 size is just 35.7 pounds.

dolface
Fantasy
594th
17 hours ago

Jesse out with a broken elbow 😔

Post a reply to: 2024 Mont-Sainte-Anne World Cup Downhill

The Latest