Tires and inserts

thejake
Edited Date/Time 10/19/2020 7:55pm
I went to the bike shop today and was kind of amazed and overwhelmed by the choices I had with just Maxxis tires: Exo, Exo plus, Double Down or DH. Then do you want to add Cush Core? I’m curious what other are running, riding style, terrain, what you like or don’t like and your weight.

Currently I’m running Exo casing, tubeless, no inserts, around 28 PSI front and 30 rear. I want more sidewall support but don’t want to push the extra weight up hill unless that’s the best choice. I’m 220lbs been riding for 16 years so I know how to not abuse my bike but also ride pretty fast. I live in Washington and most of what I ride isn’t very rock, but lots of roots. Good mix of tech trails and flow trails. I feel like my tires are rolling on high speed stuff too much and not enough traction in the tech stuff if it’s wet. I have the tread pattern down, just all these casing options now.
|
TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
331st
6/26/2019 10:35am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2019 10:00pm
If you're 220 pounds and you're folding tires, just take the weight penalty and ride the proper tires. Bike weight is not as important as the industry tells you, and you'll get used to the extra weight if you choose to not dwell on it during your rides. I'd recommend at least DD tires front and rear, with inserts added if you're denting rims or still rolling your rear tire.

I weigh 190 pounds and live in the rocky part of Washington, and I used to be fast once. I run DD front and DH rear, and I wouldn't go back to EXO's if you paid me. I recently started running a rear Cushcore to combat rear tire roll and a front Huck Norris to keep my rims alive. It's clearly too much tire for lighter guys but it's been great for me.
ka81
6/26/2019 10:35am
CushCore with any your preferable tires.
jeff.brines
6/26/2019 10:44am
TEAMROBOT wrote:
If you're 220 pounds and you're folding tires, just take the weight penalty and ride the proper tires. Bike weight is not as important as the...
If you're 220 pounds and you're folding tires, just take the weight penalty and ride the proper tires. Bike weight is not as important as the industry tells you, and you'll get used to the extra weight if you choose to not dwell on it during your rides. I'd recommend at least DD tires front and rear, with inserts added if you're denting rims or still rolling your rear tire.

I weigh 190 pounds and live in the rocky part of Washington, and I used to be fast once. I run DD front and DH rear, and I wouldn't go back to EXO's if you paid me. I recently started running a rear Cushcore to combat rear tire roll and a front Huck Norris to keep my rims alive. It's clearly too much tire for lighter guys but it's been great for me.
Truth.
Gemmaflybeta
Fantasy
1773rd
6/26/2019 10:47am
Totally agree with teamrobot, although I only weigh 150 geared up but have been riding at a reasonably high level for almost 15 years. Even at a light weight I notice a massive difference in ride quality between the EXO and DD casing (both tubeless). I've run DD front and back for a few years and I doubt I'll even try the EXO+; the DD is too good. Lower pressures w/o losing sidewall support and dramatically better damping qualities are the highlights for me. No inserts due to my low weight.
Eoin
Fantasy
62nd
6/26/2019 11:21am
Typically something equivalent to exo up front and something closer to DD out back. I run a Huck Norris in the rear because I broke my first Chinese carbon rim, the second held up well thanks to the HN.

Ridding a full DH tyre on the rear of my ebike has been great so I'm thinking of going to heavier tyres on the regular bike also. Probably supergravity tyres from schwalbe (72 kg, fast enough amateur)
6/26/2019 11:42am
Just started using Cushcore this season in the rear and love it. Paired it with a Minnion SS EXO to mitigate the weight increase. The upside is that running the SS at 25 psi now, it still grips/brakes okay. I'm 6'2" and 190/95 geared up.

I've been fine on EXO as far as flats/cuts, but am hard on rims and didn't realize how awesome more sidewall support is until I tried Cushcore and experimented with DD casing front tire too.
Lankycrank
6/26/2019 2:41pm
I run cushcore front and back. DH casing Assegai in front, but only because that's the only version that comes in the tacky maxxgrip compound. DD DHF has been good so far I'm the rear. 200lbs with gear, east coast roots and rocks on most of my local trails.
6/26/2019 3:23pm
Im 235 and having no real issues with my EXOs not sure what my pressures are however. On one set of rims i use ghetto tubless and thats rock freakn solid. I live in Omaha so we have nothing too rough to need inserts or DDs.
jabber127
6/26/2019 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2019 4:30pm
I'm 210lbs and riding mostly rocky terrain.

Front: 2.5 Assegai EXO+.
Rear: 2.4 DHR II EXO+ w/ Nukeproof Ard insert.

Damping is good and no tire roll or dings at 27 rear 23 front!
6/26/2019 5:13pm
Running a Cushcore with a Maxxis Exo+ casing out back. Was using a Double Down previously and i'm finding the Exo+ just as reliable but without the weight of the DD.

Rear pressure is 25psi and i'm around 82kg. Riding very rocky terrain and this setup is proving to be bombproof so far.
6/26/2019 6:18pm
Running 2.5 Assegai double down in front and dh rear with cushcore both ends at 24/28 psi and still dent rims. 175 lbs rider on fast steep east coast rocky terrain. This setup gives me peace of mind, never carrying tubes pump or any tools anymore. Flats are a thing of the past for me.
Roots_rider
Fantasy
556th
6/26/2019 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2019 8:47pm
Dh bike on Dt Swiss ex511’s
Huck up front with wtb tough,
Cush (with some material removed) in back with a vee rumba I’m playing with in gravity core. Normally wtb tough though.
Usually 25-27psi up front, and 27-30 in the rear. I’m 155lbs rider weight

Trail bike will be same Huck front, Cush rear, but on Ibis 742s. Will be giving the exo+ a shot, not been on Maxxis in a minute.

thejake
6/26/2019 8:55pm
Thanks for the info guys. After reading the replies has anyone tried Double Down casing back to back with DH casing?
Chis1
6/26/2019 9:22pm
I’m currently running tubes with Tannus armour 🤭
Only had them about a week
6/26/2019 10:27pm
DD front and rear, dhf 2.5 maxx grip front summer, shorty 2.5 maxx grip front winter. Aggressor 2.5 dc rear summer, high roller 2.5 max terra winter.
Fairly aggressive 95 kg rider on all types of trails, rocky North Welsh to steep and rooty in the lakes and Scotland. These have done the trick without dh casings or inserts
Fred_Pop
6/27/2019 12:41am
Schwalbe magic mary 2.35 front single ply tyre with procore. It is lighter than previous super gravity plus tubes setup and has more grip because I can run 14-15psi. Rear is currently a Maxxis 2.8 DHRII EXO with cushcore and tube setup at 15-17psi. I ride a 180mm bike up and downhill in a mix of natural terrain and bikepark.
I recommend running cushcore front and back or procore with your current tires if you haven't been suffering from cut tires. The inserts provide pinchflat protection, prevent tire roll and allow you to lower your tire pressure by 3-5psi.
6/27/2019 9:08am Edited Date/Time 6/27/2019 9:09am
F: Maxxis Minion DHF EXO 2.3 MaxxTerra - no insert
R: Maxxis Aggressor DD 2.3 DC - ARD insert
Weight with kit: 185lbs
riding style: Hack
iwil815
6/27/2019 10:39am
I run DHF EXO front and DHRII rear in DD. I run CushCore front and rear, more so for the feel on the front than needing the protection.
Blake_Motley
6/27/2019 11:13am
Chis1 wrote:
I definitely want to hear more from people riding Tannus armor. Having the extra cushion right on the contact patch makes way more sense to me for trail chatter vibration damping. I just want to make sure that the extra support is enough to prevent pinch flats before I pull the trigger
Verbl Kint
6/27/2019 11:26am
Chis1 wrote:
Is this actually better than tubeless + Cushcore? And do I really need Tannus or any tire inserts at all?

Incidentally, I'm on DHF EXO front Aggressor DD rear. I weigh 145 lbs. Tubeless, no inserts; tire pressures at 15 front and 17 psi rear. Stan's Flow Mk3 front, Flow EX rear.

Trails are loam and rocks, not much roots. I get a flat at most once a year.
brash
6/27/2019 3:20pm
230lb's

Trailbike Exo+ Maxxis casing whatevers (usually DHF) with a Vittoria Air liner up back only

DH bike Need all the help I can get, Cushcore front and back on DH casing. (Assegai)

EX511's both bikes. Solid reliable combo.
TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
331st
6/27/2019 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2019 6:04pm
Most people don't need inserts, only if you're rolling tires, denting rims, or slicing sidewalls. Also worth noting that inserts won't prevent you from punching a hole through the tread, which is **really** easy to do with EXO, EXO+, or Snakeskin.
mnorris122
6/27/2019 8:09pm
WTB "tough" casing rear, "light" casing front...the names are about accurate, the "tough" tires are what I'd expect from a proper DH tire whereas the light is thinner and suppler than exo.
6/27/2019 10:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2019 10:54pm
230 lbs. Trail/AM bike 27.5" Nelson, BC

Nobl TR38 carbon wheels
2.35 Magic Mary Addix Orange Snakeskin
2.35 Hans Dampf 2 Addix Orange Snakeskin
Cushcore Front and Rear

It's Rad !

6/28/2019 4:17am
TEAMROBOT wrote:
Most people don't need inserts, only if you're rolling tires, denting rims, or slicing sidewalls. Also worth noting that inserts won't prevent you from punching a...
Most people don't need inserts, only if you're rolling tires, denting rims, or slicing sidewalls. Also worth noting that inserts won't prevent you from punching a hole through the tread, which is **really** easy to do with EXO, EXO+, or Snakeskin.
“Need” is one way to look at it. I certainly don’t need inserts but the performance with it is better for me. I acknowledge it’s possible I could get a similar outcome with just a thicker casing tire, but with the insert I get more rim protection and run-flat bonus.
pau668
6/28/2019 7:31am
I tried, first, the PTN tire insert, with Maxxis exo, then Vittoria air liner with Maxxis dd and now I abandoned the tire insert and use michelin wild enduro tires, with latex muc off, zero problems, excellent tires, not heavy and very robust, my bike is a norco sight vlt e-bike and I ride on quite rocky Ligurian trails like Finale Ligure, Diano Marina, Sestri Levante
Dave_Camp
Fantasy
76th
6/28/2019 8:23am
thejake wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. After reading the replies has anyone tried Double Down casing back to back with DH casing?
Yeah- I can't stand the DH casing Maxxis- they only come with their sticky MaxxGrip rubber and roll SLOW. Great for lift/shuttle riding but I can't pedal them.

DoubleDown usually comes with the faster rolling MaxxTerra rubber and seems a good compromise of grip/ rolling speed/ wear. I'm also having good luck with Schwalbe SuperGravity casing with Apex Soft rubber (orange stripe)... very similar to Maxxis DoubleDown.

What I really want is DH casing for the rear tire with MaxxTerra rubber. MAXXIS MAKE IT HAPPEN PLEASE!!!
6/28/2019 11:47am
Dave_Camp wrote:
Yeah- I can't stand the DH casing Maxxis- they only come with their sticky MaxxGrip rubber and roll SLOW. Great for lift/shuttle riding but I can't...
Yeah- I can't stand the DH casing Maxxis- they only come with their sticky MaxxGrip rubber and roll SLOW. Great for lift/shuttle riding but I can't pedal them.

DoubleDown usually comes with the faster rolling MaxxTerra rubber and seems a good compromise of grip/ rolling speed/ wear. I'm also having good luck with Schwalbe SuperGravity casing with Apex Soft rubber (orange stripe)... very similar to Maxxis DoubleDown.

What I really want is DH casing for the rear tire with MaxxTerra rubber. MAXXIS MAKE IT HAPPEN PLEASE!!!
They definitely used to make 60a dh tires. I used to beat on them in the bike park in the 26inch days. They would last forever. Now a maxxgrip last 2 days before showing wear...
tylerb
6/28/2019 11:58am
Being lighter weight (150lbs) I have found I can get away with a lighter tire as long as I run inserts. I still punch the random hole in the top of the tread once or twice a year, but nothing an automotive patch won't fix. Cushcore front and rear has ended my rim denting/folding/cracking issues and can run 25 front / 28 rear without issue. I also really like the damped feel it provides. I have tried lower psi, but end up denting rims even through Cushcore.

I'm definitely back and forth on the no insert DH casing vs. EXO+ with insert option right now. The damped feel of the insert always has me coming back to it though.
6/28/2019 3:05pm
tylerb wrote:
Being lighter weight (150lbs) I have found I can get away with a lighter tire as long as I run inserts. I still punch the random...
Being lighter weight (150lbs) I have found I can get away with a lighter tire as long as I run inserts. I still punch the random hole in the top of the tread once or twice a year, but nothing an automotive patch won't fix. Cushcore front and rear has ended my rim denting/folding/cracking issues and can run 25 front / 28 rear without issue. I also really like the damped feel it provides. I have tried lower psi, but end up denting rims even through Cushcore.

I'm definitely back and forth on the no insert DH casing vs. EXO+ with insert option right now. The damped feel of the insert always has me coming back to it though.
You feel you get a more damped experience from exo+ and cush core than DH tires?
(no sarcasm, generally curious as i haven't run cushcore ever)

Post a reply to: Tires and inserts

The Latest