Dual crown forks in enduro soon?

LLLLL
6/10/2019 3:52am
Rems wrote:
I don't see this happening for real anytime soon, but some are already doing it: [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/2/photos/124050/s1200_Labresse18_O5A7148.jpg?1535077000[/img] Only upside I see for a double crown is to...
I don't see this happening for real anytime soon, but some are already doing it:

Only upside I see for a double crown is to always have your stem perfectly aligned with the wheel Tongue
Mojos modded 36...
I think they need to use the offset to move the axle further back in the lowers to move the sanctions forward for a tighter turning circle.
jeff.brines
6/10/2019 7:36am
I'm actually looking for a Dorado to do this with. Sentinel + Dorado @ 180mm. Axle to crown is basically the same as the 170mm Lyrik that is on the bike now.

I think it'd be rad, even if my bike is going to be crazy heavy.
NoahColorado
Fantasy
2423rd
6/10/2019 8:40am
I'm actually looking for a Dorado to do this with. Sentinel + Dorado @ 180mm. Axle to crown is basically the same as the 170mm Lyrik...
I'm actually looking for a Dorado to do this with. Sentinel + Dorado @ 180mm. Axle to crown is basically the same as the 170mm Lyrik that is on the bike now.

Why don't you just ask MRP for a Bartlett?
ZAKBROWN!
Fantasy
229th
6/10/2019 11:49am
I'm actually looking for a Dorado to do this with. Sentinel + Dorado @ 180mm. Axle to crown is basically the same as the 170mm Lyrik...

While you're at it Noah, send me a Bartlett too! I'll put it on my Meta AM 29 and be #sososoenduro with a mullet dual crown #oncoil #notcarbon bike. Cool
Fred_Pop
6/10/2019 12:16pm

Crazy heavy? It will add a tad more than 1kg and your bike will ride way better. I am super happy with my Dorado!
jeff.brines
6/10/2019 3:07pm

Fred_Pop wrote:
Crazy heavy? It will add a tad more than 1kg and your bike will ride way better. I am super happy with my Dorado!
My bike is about 35 pounds with a Lyrik. So yeah, I'd say I'm in "crazy heavy" terrain with the Dorado + BeefcakeSentinel
dirtworks911
6/10/2019 9:28pm

Fred_Pop wrote:
My bike is about 35 pounds with a Lyrik. So yeah, I'd say I'm in "crazy heavy" terrain with the Dorado + BeefcakeSentinel
Jeff,

I know you're probably wanting something 170mm of longer up front but I've been thinking of running an E-bike specific 36 upper on my single crown. Product testers/MTB journalists say the thicker stanchions (with the same bore as a 34) make the fork feel like a single crown 40 (so basically an old school totem!) but I have yet to try one.

Fox says that the E-bike 36 can only go to 160mm travel max and that is most likely due to the fact that it's running an 34 air spring and that's the longest air spring they offer that will fit that bore. BUT, if you try it out and like it, I couldn't imagine running it at 170mm would make it self-implode while riding. All you need to do is replace the 160mm shaft with a 170mm one as the actual 9mm diameter shafts are pretty much universal.

You'd save a bit of weight in comparison to running a dual crown. Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers.
Maxipedia
Fantasy
1469th
6/11/2019 5:23am
mfoga wrote:
The Enduro use to have a dual crown fork[img]https://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8603249/p4pb8603249.jpg[/img]
The Enduro use to have a dual crown fork
I have ridden that bike for a good while and, as everybody knows, the Specialized designed/Fox produced fork and shock were awful, to put it mildly. The fork was just too complicated on the inside and the huge amount of seals created bonus friction. The only moments that fork worked was in the few hours after a full service. In the end, I sold it to an older gentleman who loved its looks and only does mellow rides in the city. I threw on a first gen Pike 454 up front, because the Pitch (the poor man's Enduro from those days) had a same-length 20-mm Recon up front and it changed the bike for the better immensely. The rear shock made the bike feel dead. This also changed when I replaced it with a RS Monarch which came OEM on a Giant.

But by far the most idiotic thing that Specialized has done with this bike was the integrated stem that left you with no options. Pointless proprietary 24 mm axle in the front was another douche move. I would still like to see the product manager who took these ”wise” decisions and punch him in the pie hole.

I have better hope for this new trend that you guys are talking about, though. I am happy with my 160 mm on my Foxy 29, but it's good to know there are open minds out there.

Cheers!
Mx
matmattmatthew
6/11/2019 8:00am
I wish I lived somewhere where running a dual crown on an Enduro bike was actually something to consider.
mamath7
Fantasy
1545th
6/11/2019 11:52am
Rems wrote:
I don't see this happening for real anytime soon, but some are already doing it: [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/2/photos/124050/s1200_Labresse18_O5A7148.jpg?1535077000[/img] Only upside I see for a double crown is to...
I don't see this happening for real anytime soon, but some are already doing it:

Only upside I see for a double crown is to always have your stem perfectly aligned with the wheel Tongue
My Dorado never get the memo
brash
6/15/2019 9:13pm
Fred_Pop wrote:
Jeff, I know you're probably wanting something 170mm of longer up front but I've been thinking of running an E-bike specific 36 upper on my single...
Jeff,

I know you're probably wanting something 170mm of longer up front but I've been thinking of running an E-bike specific 36 upper on my single crown. Product testers/MTB journalists say the thicker stanchions (with the same bore as a 34) make the fork feel like a single crown 40 (so basically an old school totem!) but I have yet to try one.

Fox says that the E-bike 36 can only go to 160mm travel max and that is most likely due to the fact that it's running an 34 air spring and that's the longest air spring they offer that will fit that bore. BUT, if you try it out and like it, I couldn't imagine running it at 170mm would make it self-implode while riding. All you need to do is replace the 160mm shaft with a 170mm one as the actual 9mm diameter shafts are pretty much universal.

You'd save a bit of weight in comparison to running a dual crown. Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers.
I'm on the similar course of action with my bike.

This fork is a hodgepodge of 36 Rhythm upper + Stantion, a 36 Factory lower, a Revalved FitGrip from MBSC for my fat arse and vorpsrung smashpotted at 170mm. Flex wise it feels the same as my 40's on my DH bike. Pretty good combo.

This bike weighs 16.8kg ready to ride lol. My S-Works demo is 15.3 with Ti bolts/spring and CNC'd linkage. On a smoother course I am between 2-5 seconds faster on the stumpy. I'd put it down to the big wheels. Can't wait for the new demo.

Pedal4life
6/17/2019 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/25/2019 9:18pm
These are gr8 park bike set-ups I don't see it happening in Enduro racing as a norm there's too much money at play with fox and RockShox

I take back anything I said here earlier, as of the end of this decade(edited on 12/26/19)the dual crown trail bike fork is coming its just a matter of how soon.

austen.bickford
Fantasy
2284th
6/17/2019 12:54pm

I still need to Bartlett a Dune!
ninjichor
9/16/2019 12:22am
1-1/8" to 1.8" tapered steerer and linkage forks have entered the scene...
brash
9/16/2019 2:46pm
Not far off the mark, Fox 38 will be next.
9/17/2019 6:44am

As much as I liked my Dorado on a DH bike, I'm not sure about it for tight trail riding. While most of the time, the torsional twisting isn't a problem, it did bite me a few times when my line choice was less than ideal, resulting in the fork/wheel locking up and sending me OTB. Maybe a really good rider could do a nose-turn switchback on a Dorado, but I don't think that rider will ever be me.

Oddly enough, I had a Dorado 29 back in 2014 when I was trying to build a 29er DH bike out of a first generation Niner WFO. I ended up scrapping the idea and selling off both for a 27.5 DH bike due to a lack of adequate rims and tires at the time. Now I kinda of wish I still had that Dorado, although I never got an answer from Santa Cruz if the Megatower is rated for a dual crown fork. 180mm of travel could be fun for park riding, although I really haven't felt the 160 Helm on it now to be inadequate.
jonkranked
Fantasy
824th
9/17/2019 7:27am
brash wrote:
my suspicion on this is that there's a very good chance it'll be a lighter weight dual crown fork for enduro or (gasp) e-bikes. whether or not it'll get the 1.8 steerer idk (i personally think it's less likely) but I think it would make sense to use a 20mm axle.
jeff.brines
9/17/2019 7:30am
brash wrote:
jonkranked wrote:
my suspicion on this is that there's a very good chance it'll be a lighter weight dual crown fork for enduro or (gasp) e-bikes. whether or...
my suspicion on this is that there's a very good chance it'll be a lighter weight dual crown fork for enduro or (gasp) e-bikes. whether or not it'll get the 1.8 steerer idk (i personally think it's less likely) but I think it would make sense to use a 20mm axle.
For E-Bikes it only makes sense we go dual crown. The whole 1.8 thing is stupid AF. What we really need is a better way to bond the CSU together with the 1.5 standard. See Also: https://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/brands/lord-structural-adhe… (they put ferraris together with this stuff...I really think it could fix the CSU creaking issues)
jonkranked
Fantasy
824th
9/17/2019 7:46am
brash wrote:
jonkranked wrote:
my suspicion on this is that there's a very good chance it'll be a lighter weight dual crown fork for enduro or (gasp) e-bikes. whether or...
For E-Bikes it only makes sense we go dual crown. The whole 1.8 thing is stupid AF. What we really need is a better way to...
For E-Bikes it only makes sense we go dual crown. The whole 1.8 thing is stupid AF. What we really need is a better way to bond the CSU together with the 1.5 standard. See Also: https://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/brands/lord-structural-adhe… (they put ferraris together with this stuff...I really think it could fix the CSU creaking issues)
on 1.8 i don't necessarily disagree, however word is out that they exist at the OEM level, at least from Suntour and RS. If they're already being manufactured, I don't see what would stop other bike brands designing bikes that use them (and thus ordering for OEM spec).
jonkranked
Fantasy
824th
9/17/2019 8:10am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2019 8:10am
the other thing, if the 38 is dual crown, it'd be way simpler from manufacturing logistics to offer a 1.8 tapered steerer.

Post a reply to: Dual crown forks in enduro soon?

The Latest