Discussion: Fork Damping vs Spring Rate

7/26/2019 2:20am
Wow, thanks for your reply!

i agree to all what you are saying. in my posts i did not described all the aspects you mentioned because i did not want to write to much - haha. i have watched all the series and i am a serious follower of all content (WC, EWS etc.)

i think i already get the right front end-height. 95% of the time i feel very comfortable on my bike.
as you say i just have to accept that different trails need different setups and probably its more a head thing Smile

in two weeks we are going to port de suleil / morzine and its a good feeling now that i know i can stiffen the front and soften the back a little to support the riding - or even raise the bar a bit more.
7/26/2019 9:27pm
This is a very timely thread for me.
I've recently been experimenting with a DHX 5 coil on my trail bike (from a CCDBA CS). It has fewer adjustments, and they interact differently.
It's really demonstrated the upside to the infinite spring tuning of air; I've tried a 500lb spring, and found myself backing off the LSC to 10 clicks out, adding boost pressure and opening up the bottom out volume... Then switching to a 450lb spring I'm at 3 clicks out LSC with heaps of preload (the 450 is a longer spring, so I feel safe preloading it hard provided the gaps between coils still add up to more than the shock stroke - correct me if I'm wrong) but it still feels soft... Maybe I just like the feel of the air spring better, maybe the CCDBA is just able to get closer to my ideal - maybe a CCDB coil or DHX2 would be perfect, but I'm not going to shell out for one.

I've enjoyed the traction and small bump action of the DHX, but unless I can get it to give me 80-90% travel and a poppy mid stroke on my test loop I'm going back to the CCDBA soon.
Keeping my eye out for a cheap 475lb coil to try...
jeff.brines
7/29/2019 10:40am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2019 4:00pm
Just an update.

Raced this weekend. Bla bla bla.

There were more than a few ridiculously steep parts, ended up going up in psi but also (gasp) up in damping too. As in, I added *more* LSC than baseline. I ended up 4 clicks out of full closed on LSC, 8 clicks out on HSC.

The terrain was very rocky, but also on the slower side. Lots of weird awkward roll ins, drops, corners etc. Though there were plenty of square edged hits, speeds weren't such that I was bouncing all over the place.

Yes, I know, speed of damping does not mean speed of bike, but it is something one must pay attention to as well. If I'm going fast and my fork isn't tracking I'm more likely to experience deflection with higher amounts of damping (my experience). If I'm going slower, I can tune a bit differently however, with less importance placed on smaller bump performance.

Just funny how militant I was about less damping being better, then I had to eat my own words. Lol.

Goes to show how different terrain can call for different tunes...

EDIT: Not sure it matters but I also have been riding a fair amount of moto this year, arm pump is not *nearly* the issue it was previously. Maybe this is also part of the reason I've been able to add damping.

SB14
7/30/2019 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2019 1:37pm
After going coil in the fork and almost no lsc and open hsc i wonder if putting a coil in the back will feel the same. Now i feel like i to easy go thru my back end, i have gone up in sag, 28%, and 3 tokens. I wonder if a coil will be better B/C i get more support in the beging and mid travel. Tho my frame is sort of medium progressive. I get that it will be a less progressive setup, but my riding is most natural with only small drops and lots of rocks/roots. So i dont feel like i need real progressive setup.

An i wrong to think that more mid strok support will help me with not going tru the travel on my chunky trails? Or will it be better to drop my tokens and go for more pressure? (I got a super deluxe with only three compression settings)
mtbkluth
8/8/2019 10:42am
@whitesq i presume stiffer as in HSC in that gwin situation with slower rebound?
Alex1
8/15/2019 4:57am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2019 4:55am
Very interesting topic. I spent time reading everything that's been posted so far and would like to add my thoughts on this. So here's a brief summary..
I weigh 65kg and ride quite aggressively on choppy/rocky/loose terrain that puts skills and equipment to the test. I also compete in enduro races and manage good results.
One year ago, I purchased a brand new 2018 Fox 36 RC2 Evol fork with 170mm of travel and until now I have never been able to justify the recommended settings. They are way off than what I need to have me feeling good on the bike.
I have settled to 64psi, 5 clicks of LSC, 4 clicks of HSC, 5 clicks of R (all counting from fully open) and no volume spacers.
Riding at speed feels great and keeps me in control.
I would only on occasion consider going stiffer than this, either by adding air and/or spacers or more compression.. e.g. going full send at a bike park with big gaps, boost jumps and runways with huge berms. Also, working out at the gym pays great dividends on handling stiffer settings. So that's something to keep in mind too!
That's my take. Don't know if right or not but I'm interested to read more about this.
Keep it up.
Cheers!
jeff.brines
8/15/2019 7:52am
SB14 wrote:
After going coil in the fork and almost no lsc and open hsc i wonder if putting a coil in the back will feel the same...
After going coil in the fork and almost no lsc and open hsc i wonder if putting a coil in the back will feel the same. Now i feel like i to easy go thru my back end, i have gone up in sag, 28%, and 3 tokens. I wonder if a coil will be better B/C i get more support in the beging and mid travel. Tho my frame is sort of medium progressive. I get that it will be a less progressive setup, but my riding is most natural with only small drops and lots of rocks/roots. So i dont feel like i need real progressive setup.

An i wrong to think that more mid strok support will help me with not going tru the travel on my chunky trails? Or will it be better to drop my tokens and go for more pressure? (I got a super deluxe with only three compression settings)
What frame?
8/16/2019 12:46am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2019 12:48am
yo fellas, just an update.
like i mentioned, we were in morzine for a week. a few days before i found to a really nice setup.
so i was very confident with my riding coming to the french alps.

we mainly rode the steep local tracks. therefore i put a touch more psi in the fork and lowered the back a bit.
85 psi 1 token, 6-7 lsc 11-12 hsc and 5/5 rebound and a spacer to get the bar height higher.
sag on the back settled near 30% with a bit lower damping.

the first 4 days were great! all my friends were on DH bikes and some cried about arm pump (caused by too soft setups). i just laughed with my stiff and fast fork. i was very happy with my riding. fast, controlled and good fun.
on the fifth day things changed... it rained. i rode alone (the other guys chilled in the chalet) with the same setup.
the bike was SHIT!! crazy arm pump after 10m on the first run. dragging brakes all over the place. it felt so stiff and slow..crazy how much influence the temperature change has on the bike.

sixth and seventh day was not getting better - even worse...(next year i take a day off!)
i could not handle the bike anymore. i tried to ride slow with a softer setup = shit. tried to ride fast with the setup from the first days = shit

but i think its just normal. its only a 160mm bike and 7 days riding for 4-6 hours each, is a great compliment for my fitness and body.. of course a few beers and less sleep has also played a role :D

another conclusion. for half a day (third day) i rent a megatower with grip 1 and a deluxe air shock. same psi in the fork and 30% sag on the back.
good bike anyway but i bottomed out every hole. it was a nice comparison how a soft setup (undamped) feels against a stiffer one. really nice traction but once you let the brakes open it doesnt work.
SB14
8/16/2019 2:21am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2019 2:23am
What frame?
Cube stereo 150, 29er.

Edit: 2018 (so it is the newer frame. They have stated that it have more progression than the previous model, 2016-2017. And i did see that Zaka Johnsen rode it once with a coil)
mtbkluth
8/16/2019 4:33am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2019 6:25am
Managed to get away to La Thuile for a few days and inspired by this thread paid more attention to set up a new bike than i normally would. here are my settings for what it is worth:

Fox 36 Grip 2 160 travel
0 tokens
85 PSI
HSR 3 out from closed
LSR 4 out
HSC 10 out
LSC fully out
Bike: Yeti SB130 with cane creek inline coil (500 spring) and 136mm travel (55mm stroke damper)

Trails of La Thuile: pretty steep, rocky, rooty, both fast and slow sections. challenge on your hands in general.

Rebound: This setting is on the slower side of what i've used till now. I have the impression slower rebound gives more control in situations on the limit of grip. fast rebound seems to tip it over the edge of grip more sudden and more intense. On the other hand it is not quite as plush in a straight line compared to faster rebound.

Compression: after 3 days of riding and increasing HSC i settled on this setting which is quite a bit more damped than what i would ride in the past. i turned it up until it left me with 1cm of spare for 98% of situations. i felt in more control and chassis stability with higher damping than before. although ist is surely less comfortable. without tokens there seems to be pretty good mid travel support even though i am not sure that is because of damping or because of more linear spring rate compared to with tokens. I did however unwind LSC completely as i felt it would make the fork harsh and i could not really feel a benefit in holding me up worth the loss in sensitivity.

all in all i liked the more linear and damped feel of the fork as it feels to me like it matches the rear.

That said it is not a comfortable setup but one that i feel makes me go faster. whether that is because i am actually going faster or because my vision is shaky because of bad damping i dont actually know.

havent ridden my hometrails yet since coming back and maybe i will throw this all out the window again after the next run but man was that an amazing trip! i just really love mountainbiking. i know, everyone here does. but man, i just really love mountainbiking - no matter the settings.

8/16/2019 5:39am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2019 5:42am
@mtbkluth
interesting to read! how's your weight?

sam hill mentioned somewhere that he doesnt ride that stiff anymore instead decrease compression/progression for a more forgiving ride overall on the ews races. maybe its worth a try to run with zero tokens for me now :D

mtbkluth
8/16/2019 5:50am
@dar_sannn
82-83 kg without gear.
i want to say ive always run tokens in the last 5 years but not sure. certainly someting new for me without.
also that podcast with the push guy is interesting in that regard.
jeff.brines
8/16/2019 6:47am
dar_sannn wrote:
yo fellas, just an update. like i mentioned, we were in morzine for a week. a few days before i found to a really nice setup...
yo fellas, just an update.
like i mentioned, we were in morzine for a week. a few days before i found to a really nice setup.
so i was very confident with my riding coming to the french alps.

we mainly rode the steep local tracks. therefore i put a touch more psi in the fork and lowered the back a bit.
85 psi 1 token, 6-7 lsc 11-12 hsc and 5/5 rebound and a spacer to get the bar height higher.
sag on the back settled near 30% with a bit lower damping.

the first 4 days were great! all my friends were on DH bikes and some cried about arm pump (caused by too soft setups). i just laughed with my stiff and fast fork. i was very happy with my riding. fast, controlled and good fun.
on the fifth day things changed... it rained. i rode alone (the other guys chilled in the chalet) with the same setup.
the bike was SHIT!! crazy arm pump after 10m on the first run. dragging brakes all over the place. it felt so stiff and slow..crazy how much influence the temperature change has on the bike.

sixth and seventh day was not getting better - even worse...(next year i take a day off!)
i could not handle the bike anymore. i tried to ride slow with a softer setup = shit. tried to ride fast with the setup from the first days = shit

but i think its just normal. its only a 160mm bike and 7 days riding for 4-6 hours each, is a great compliment for my fitness and body.. of course a few beers and less sleep has also played a role :D

another conclusion. for half a day (third day) i rent a megatower with grip 1 and a deluxe air shock. same psi in the fork and 30% sag on the back.
good bike anyway but i bottomed out every hole. it was a nice comparison how a soft setup (undamped) feels against a stiffer one. really nice traction but once you let the brakes open it doesnt work.
This is pretty standard (unfortunately). Fatigue plays a much bigger role in the equation than we'd like to admit. If I take a day off, drink no beers, and sleep well my bike handling and ability to deal with a much stiffer setup is notable. Hell, when I feel good, I can deal with a lot of different setups without it really bothering me toooo much (unless I'm racing).

Few random thoughts.

1) If you are riding that much, especially in a bike park, servicing your lowers and air spring is pretty much a requirement. Also, I wish we could buy stand alone foam wipers!? Why oh why do I have to buy the whole seal kit?!

2) Rain is different. Not only will the temps effect things but you want a faster setup on the rebound side and as much small bump as you can get out of the setup.

3) Interesting on the GRIP 1 -that damping still works pretty well in my experience. Why didn't you turn it up a bit? Or just throw more air into the spring?

Nice work on the fun trip. Still haven't been to Morzine. One day...
jeff.brines
8/16/2019 6:49am
dar_sannn wrote:
@mtbkluth interesting to read! how's your weight? sam hill mentioned somewhere that he doesnt ride that stiff anymore instead decrease compression/progression for a more forgiving ride...
@mtbkluth

sam hill mentioned somewhere that he doesnt ride that stiff anymore instead decrease compression/progression for a more forgiving ride overall on the ews races. maybe its worth a try to run with zero tokens for me now :D

We've discussed to 0 token thing a bit in this thread. As General Lee articulated (better than me) a lot of that has to do with the travel of the fork. More travel will have more ramp without tokens.

That aside, a linear setup with more pressure yields more available stroke for bumps that requires less force to cycle through. I've been running this sort of setup since my SC HTLT review and am not going back.
8/16/2019 7:12am
yeah fatigue is a big term. funny is that i rode twice as much as my friends with their DH bikes. but they dont hit the gym 2 times a week and ride that much like i am...

1. i have had bought bunch of foam wipers in the past from ali express. every 3 month my fork gets a lower leg service.
2. next time i will fasten the rebound and take a closer look.
3. dont get me wrong - the fork felt great. but just too soft overall for the steep/faster riding. it was a rental bike and we had no shock pump with us... on these runs with the megatower i let all of my friends in front of me because i had to ride much slower. but again bike itself felt great.

the reason i didn't try with 0 tokens was that i bottomed out maybe 1 or 2 times a day with 15-16% sag.. but i will try it out now! on my hometrails i barely get 70% of travel..
8/16/2019 12:32pm
dar_sannn wrote:
yeah fatigue is a big term. funny is that i rode twice as much as my friends with their DH bikes. but they dont hit the...
yeah fatigue is a big term. funny is that i rode twice as much as my friends with their DH bikes. but they dont hit the gym 2 times a week and ride that much like i am...

1. i have had bought bunch of foam wipers in the past from ali express. every 3 month my fork gets a lower leg service.
2. next time i will fasten the rebound and take a closer look.
3. dont get me wrong - the fork felt great. but just too soft overall for the steep/faster riding. it was a rental bike and we had no shock pump with us... on these runs with the megatower i let all of my friends in front of me because i had to ride much slower. but again bike itself felt great.

the reason i didn't try with 0 tokens was that i bottomed out maybe 1 or 2 times a day with 15-16% sag.. but i will try it out now! on my hometrails i barely get 70% of travel..
Serious question: Did you release built up air from your fork? Riding hard day after day causes higher pressure in the fork which rellay is affecting the performance. That‘s why the Fox40 has these pressure release knobs on their casting. Apart from all other factors this could have played a big factor especially on the rainy day.
8/16/2019 12:38pm
Oh.. thanks for the tipp. How do i do that?
I didnt Know. I checked pressure before every ride and put the bike upside down during night for lubricating.
8/16/2019 12:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2019 12:50pm
dar_sannn wrote:
Oh.. thanks for the tipp. How do i do that? I didnt Know. I checked pressure before every ride and put the bike upside down during...
I didnt Know. I checked pressure before every ride and put the bike upside down during night for lubricating.
The right way would be to get the fork upside down and loosen the bolts, so that build up air pressure can exit. Some do it by sticking a cable tie between the stanchions and the dust seals. Not recommended though.
jeff.brines
8/16/2019 12:59pm
dar_sannn wrote:
Oh.. thanks for the tipp. How do i do that? I didnt Know. I checked pressure before every ride and put the bike upside down during...
Mo(n)arch wrote:
The right way would be to get the fork upside down and loosen the bolts, so that build up air pressure can exit. Some do it...
The right way would be to get the fork upside down and loosen the bolts, so that build up air pressure can exit. Some do it by sticking a cable tie between the stanchions and the dust seals. Not recommended though.
zip tie method is fine. They are dust wipers, not a "real" oil seal. Just be a bit careful. You can also clean your seals while you are at it.
8/16/2019 1:04pm
And how often should someone do that? But maybe this build up and increased temperature (6/7 day ~35•) lead to too much pressure/too fast Rebound and i didnt realised.
Next week i am at South Tirol nauders, i will have a better look at those Things.
jeff.brines
8/16/2019 1:30pm
dar_sannn wrote:
And how often should someone do that? But maybe this build up and increased temperature (6/7 day ~35•) lead to too much pressure/too fast Rebound and...
And how often should someone do that? But maybe this build up and increased temperature (6/7 day ~35•) lead to too much pressure/too fast Rebound and i didnt realised.
Next week i am at South Tirol nauders, i will have a better look at those Things.
The pressure has more to do with elevation change and air being sucked into the lowers than it does anything else. I do it often. Maybe once every 10K of descending?

For reference, dirt bikes have bleeder screws just for this and the 40 has a pressure relief button. I have no idea why Fox/RS hasn't incorporated this into their lowers. My guess is they'd have to do a new casting...
NoahColorado
Fantasy
2448th
8/16/2019 1:35pm
The pressure has more to do with elevation change and air being sucked into the lowers than it does anything else. I do it often. Maybe...
The pressure has more to do with elevation change and air being sucked into the lowers than it does anything else. I do it often. Maybe once every 10K of descending?

For reference, dirt bikes have bleeder screws just for this and the 40 has a pressure relief button. I have no idea why Fox/RS hasn't incorporated this into their lowers. My guess is they'd have to do a new casting...
MRP's 35mm forks have pressure relief valves. Just saying. Smile
jeff.brines
8/16/2019 1:37pm
MRP's 35mm forks have pressure relief valves. Just saying. Smile
...because you guys pay attention!
brash
8/16/2019 6:27pm
dar_sannn wrote:
@mtbkluth interesting to read! how's your weight? sam hill mentioned somewhere that he doesnt ride that stiff anymore instead decrease compression/progression for a more forgiving ride...
@mtbkluth

if you ever watch the EWS highlight youtube videos, Hills bike is visibly more compliant than his competitors. Bike is constantly in the midstroke on the slow mo. Obviously works for him.

One thing I've learned with suspension is while there is theoretical "correct" setups, the best setup is the one the rider feels most confident on. Confidence usually turns into speed.
SB14
9/28/2020 12:20pm
2. Time reading this thread. Such a good read.

Going to test a bit more now on my 36 fit h/l fork as i have gone back to air from a double coil setup. What i did learn from my smashpot lyrik, that i might have had 5 lbs to stiff(even from the agressive chart) was that i really enjoyd riding higher in thw travel. Even if i came down and only used 70% of full travel, the feeling was great.

So i have a lot of testing to get the right feeling of riding high in the travel. I will try to get a good springrate an then start bracketing with a lot of damping. With the smashpot i had no high speed and fast rebound.

Might try a Gwin(from what i could read here) setup, high springrate, lots of compression and lots of rebound. Will try to report back.

Post a reply to: Discussion: Fork Damping vs Spring Rate

The Latest