2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

dolface
Fantasy
799th
1/14/2020 8:25am
matt? wrote:
Just chatting to Ben Cathro after the pinkbike announcement and a name came up when talking about frames. Superstore brand, wanting to be taken seriously so...
Just chatting to Ben Cathro after the pinkbike announcement and a name came up when talking about frames. Superstore brand, wanting to be taken seriously so looks to a media company, begins with H and rhymes with Puffy

(Not Hoodfellaz)
I guess 30 years is long enough to forget how that worked out last time...
BHowell
1/14/2020 8:33am
YETI CYCLES ADDS REED BOGGS TO ATHLETE ROSTER

Yeti Cycles launched their big travel bike, the SB165, a few months back and now have added big mountain freerider, Reed Boggs, to their athlete roster. Boggs, who just turned 23, competed in his second Red Bull Rampage event last year after an impressive win at the 2019 Marzocchi Proving Grounds qualifier.

Boggs comes from a motocross and BMX background but now is focused on hitting big lines and developing creative edits that have a strong following in the freeride community. With a passion for sculpting new features and hitting mind-bending lines, Boggs spends half the year in Hurricane, Utah perfecting his craft. His knack for new-era freeride style and technique will bring a nice counterbalance to the race-centric company.

“Reed is a strong rider and will bring a dynamic riding style to the Yeti program. Personable and down to earth, we were impressed with his focus on progression and how much fun he has on the bike. His love for riding has inspired some incredible content. We’re looking forward to working with Reed to develop new products and support his creativity on the bike,” said Kristi Jackson, Yeti’s director of marketing.

The first event for Boggs aboard Yeti will be McGazza Fest in New Zealand, supporting the memory of freeride legend Kelly McGarry #mcgazzaforever. With his sights set on competing at his 3rd Red Bull Rampage event in 2020, he will also compete at Innsbruck and Whistler Crankworx, as well as the Oregon Blacksage FEST event. In between events, Reed has various media projects in the works and will be coaching at Woodward camps and Highland Mountain Bike Park.

“I’m thrilled to be signing with Yeti Cycles. I had the chance to visit Yeti HQ last week to see what happens behind the scenes and was overwhelmed by everything. Once I rode the SB165, I knew it would be a great bike for me - just enough suspension for big drops and nimble enough to flick around corners and throw whips. I’m looking forward to getting Yeti into their first Red Bull Rampage. Thanks for the opportunity.” said Boggs shortly after his visit to Yeti earlier this month.

1/14/2020 8:58am
The SB165 looks mint but Isn't that DJ frame from 8 or 9 years ago? Something new coming?
BHowell
1/14/2020 9:00am
Niner Bikes is thrilled to welcome Kyle Warner to our extended family of Ninerds. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, he's a shredder on anything with two wheels. With a great background and skillset including everything from EWS enduro racing to stylish jibbing, Kyle brings great energy to Niner.

"I really like the design of the bikes, I love the personality of the brand, and I love the fact that they just want to get more people outside and enjoying the sport," says Kyle.

"I have been in a weird transition over the past few years trying to find out what is most valuable to me as an athlete and I ended up taking a step away from the racing scene to focus more on having awesome personal interactions at mountain bike festivals, teaching some skills clinics, and working harder on community development here in Boise," he continues. "To me, this just seemed to be more rewarding than any result I've ever achieved and it made me happy to see people learning, smiling, and getting outdoors."

We're supremely confident that Kyle is one of us, our people. At Niner, we're all about making riding on dirt better, period. That includes being a welcoming, open-minded group of people.

"The folks at Niner truly care about the bike community, they want to make the most badass bikes possible, they want to be out at the festival and demo scene shaking hands and drinking beers, they want to show up to races and be competitive, and most importantly they want to have fun," said Kyle. "Pretty much everything aligned directly with my vision of what I want to do as an athlete and I am so happy to be working with them for the next three years!"

We could not agree more. It's important for us to have fun and also be inclusive to anyone in the riding community. We're not afraid to take chances.

"I gained a ton of respect and interest in the Niner program a few years ago when they decided to support Kirt Voreis," continues Kyle. "Kirt is one of the most creative, unique, and fun to watch riders in the world and has always been one of my favorite guys to try and emulate."

He continues, "When Niner decided to support him and let him be completely himself, I thought that was really cool and rare for a brand to understand that his value lies in being himself and not necessarily getting certain results. Kirt has made the bikes look so fun to ride and the fact that they hold up to everything he throws at them is pretty amazing haha! I think the two of us will have a lot of fun over the next few years and I can't wait to shred with him!"
Losifer
Fantasy
1230th
1/14/2020 9:08am
Gonna be sick to watch Kyle and Kirt shred together!
There's another (kinda) connection- Kirt is now sponsored by Deity, which happens to be based just outside Boise, where Kyle now lives...
Losifer
Fantasy
1230th
1/14/2020 9:09am
Very excited for Kyle and the whole Boise MTB community! He's seriously an outstanding guy, and we're so stoked to see him sign with Niner!!!
jonkranked
Fantasy
1448th
1/14/2020 10:01am
The SB165 looks mint but Isn't that DJ frame from 8 or 9 years ago? Something new coming?
here's to hoping!
jonkranked
Fantasy
1448th
1/14/2020 10:02am
Reed on Yeti, the combo NOBODY saw coming.

Super T was Yeti's last freerider eh?
i wonder what, if any, impact this would have on those jared / yeti rumors..... yeti would have to have pretty deep pockets to bring on a freerider and another high caliber EWS racer
1/14/2020 10:10am

jonkranked wrote:
i wonder what, if any, impact this would have on those jared / yeti rumors..... yeti would have to have pretty deep pockets to bring on...
i wonder what, if any, impact this would have on those jared / yeti rumors..... yeti would have to have pretty deep pockets to bring on a freerider and another high caliber EWS racer
Yeti might be doing fine for themselves. they have plenty of customers with deep pockets!
1/14/2020 10:24am

jonkranked wrote:
i wonder what, if any, impact this would have on those jared / yeti rumors..... yeti would have to have pretty deep pockets to bring on...
Jubal Davis and Duncan Nason both left yeti this year. They also launched two new bikes to widen and freshen up the range, creating a lot more in sales. I wouldn't surprised if Cody, Jared and Richie were all back on yeti together. Not sure if Jared will be racing full time, but i can surely see him in a team manager position similar to Nigel Page and CRC/Nukeproof.
BHowell
1/14/2020 11:12am

Erik Fedko has signed on with Troy Lee Designs for 2020.

“We have taken our time to find the right rider for the next generation of slopestyle and could not be happier than with the addition of Erik to the TLD family. 2018 Red Bull Joyride competition was when Troy and I got to watch him in person and we were hooked, the sickest style ever. Erik’s combination of his young age, incredible style on the bike, and aggressive yet smooth tricks made it a no-brainer for us to start having conversations. Getting to know him over the 2019 season definitely sealed the relationship as he is a cool kid, off the bike as well!

Watching him ride the bike park at Whistler on his DH bike was super fun, to see him try new things, he seems down for anything on a bike and we love that about him. I think the key was asking our current riders like Semenuk, Zink and Van Steenbergen who they think the next big thing in slopestyle is and they all verified that Erik is the rider who is perfect for TLD. Can’t wait for some fun years ahead and seeing Erik ride because it is magical to watch him in action. Welcome to the family buddy,”
states Craig “Stikman” Glaspell – Global Category Director-Bicycle of TLD.
1/14/2020 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2020 2:27pm

jonkranked wrote:
What kind of annual salary do you think a freerider like Boggs gets paid these days? Honestly curious. I have an idea of what I think.
1/14/2020 2:34pm
Jubal Davis and Duncan Nason both left yeti this year. They also launched two new bikes to widen and freshen up the range, creating a lot...
Jubal Davis and Duncan Nason both left yeti this year. They also launched two new bikes to widen and freshen up the range, creating a lot more in sales. I wouldn't surprised if Cody, Jared and Richie were all back on yeti together. Not sure if Jared will be racing full time, but i can surely see him in a team manager position similar to Nigel Page and CRC/Nukeproof.
Cody is not going back to Yeti, but it would be pretty cool if Jared did!
1/14/2020 2:52pm

jonkranked wrote:
Jubal Davis and Duncan Nason both left yeti this year. They also launched two new bikes to widen and freshen up the range, creating a lot...
Not to mention everyone buying the SB5.5 then a year later selling to get SB150 then realising they only actually need to buy SB130. All those dentists ended up with a shed full of new bikes
depeche4
1/14/2020 2:56pm

jonkranked wrote:
Pager races every round of the EWS plus other events in the masters category, besides being the team manager.
jimmypop
1/14/2020 3:12pm
matt? wrote:
Just chatting to Ben Cathro after the pinkbike announcement and a name came up when talking about frames. Superstore brand, wanting to be taken seriously so...
Just chatting to Ben Cathro after the pinkbike announcement and a name came up when talking about frames. Superstore brand, wanting to be taken seriously so looks to a media company, begins with H and rhymes with Puffy

(Not Hoodfellaz)
dolface wrote:
I guess 30 years is long enough to forget how that worked out last time...
Todd Lyons returns?!
groghunter
1/14/2020 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2020 3:22pm
Not to mention everyone buying the SB5.5 then a year later selling to get SB150 then realising they only actually need to buy SB130. All those...
Not to mention everyone buying the SB5.5 then a year later selling to get SB150 then realising they only actually need to buy SB130. All those dentists ended up with a shed full of new bikes
And then buying the SB165 because it's new and they have to have it. Of all the old school brands that traded highly on brand loyalty to justify their pricing and cachet, Yeti is about the only one who's managing to still use it as a sucessful business model.

People don't worship at the altar of Cannondale or Foes anymore.
jonkranked
Fantasy
1448th
1/14/2020 3:30pm

jonkranked wrote:
What kind of annual salary do you think a freerider like Boggs gets paid these days? Honestly curious. I have an idea of what I think.
Likely not enough, but salary is only a portion of the total spend a company has to budget for sponsored riders.
1/14/2020 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2020 6:44pm
jonkranked wrote:
Likely not enough, but salary is only a portion of the total spend a company has to budget for sponsored riders.
Willing to guess what his compensation platform may look like?
og
1/14/2020 4:54pm
could ben cathro be the new pinkbike privateer?
1/14/2020 5:44pm
og wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if his series is delivered through pinkbike, because earlier he said that he hadn't figured out which channel/platform is would be shown on.
jonkranked
Fantasy
1448th
1/14/2020 7:19pm
jonkranked wrote:
Willing to guess what his compensation platform may look like?
probably not dissimilar to a DH racers. there's base pay from primary sponsors, maybe some secondary sponsors provide a stipend. then there's bonuses based on performance / results.
Tanner_Carl
Fantasy
1864th
1/14/2020 7:34pm
Is it plausible that all (or some) of the unsigned riders have a group chat to schedule everyone's official team announcement? Kinda makes sense if each person wanted their turn in the spot light, right?
Big Bird
1/14/2020 8:43pm
og wrote:
I feel comfortable predicting Red Bull Media House. Full series. And huffy may have fished for him, but he'll stay on Santa Cruz.
1/14/2020 9:14pm
og wrote:
Big Bird wrote:
I feel comfortable predicting Red Bull Media House. Full series. And huffy may have fished for him, but he'll stay on Santa Cruz.
Cathro was announced as a new member of the pinkbike team as a 'presenter and race corespondent' so sound like he will be working directly with them.
crooksy
Fantasy
468th
1/15/2020 2:16am
Denim Destroyer on GT (informed from another media source) and Michal Prokop signs with Rock Machine. Denim Destroyer we could have picked, but didnt pick Prokop being on the move.
Maxipedia
Fantasy
2092nd
1/15/2020 2:34am
Maybe Prokop hasn't had too much success with the Instagram spamming he's doing these days...

Post a reply to: 2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

The Latest