2024 TEAM RUMORS

3/14/2024 5:40pm

I have 0 trust in the legal system for this topic. Maybe its worse now, maybe its always been this way (insert astronaut meme). 

Either way, what do we do? Do we continue dragging his name through the mud based on rumors of allegations? What if hes not innocent? Should there be no consequences just because the legal system isn't reliable or effective? How is anyone to know? 

luisgutrod
Fantasy
219th
3/14/2024 6:52pm

Can you imagine the shitstorm when the pinkbicycle comment section hears about this?

well to be fair, any mtb site would think about posting it standalone as news, tricky..... here it was brought up in the forum... no way to control it..(and a thumbnail in the main page now directed to the thread..)...

he is not a trophy celebrity that could have been trapped into a situation like this, for the exposure and money, thats for sure...

Karabuka
Fantasy
2438th
3/15/2024 2:04am
NJPA Rider wrote:
Is there an English language news source? Has he been arrested or questioned by police? This is a real world crime. Why is there only a...

Is there an English language news source? Has he been arrested or questioned by police? This is a real world crime. Why is there only a "mountain bike world" consequence? 

Exactly this, if the authorities are involved for a serious crime as this is, would he be even allowed to leave the country? Because right now it seems like there are only biking consequences and its really weird.

Mugen
Fantasy
2387th
3/15/2024 2:33am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2024 2:33am

The Vojo article in French is actually a Belgian publication, it is the only article I have seen in French or English and is very much a response to the social media post and comments underneath, no additional information is provided.

The French racing forums, in which a number of French team managers and media people participate, have absolutely no comment or accusation. All the accusations have been on insta or in this thread.

Pretty miserable news, hope the truth officially comes out so we can move on.

gibbon
3/15/2024 6:26am

There are going to be no winners from this situation whatever the outcome.
There are less enlightened corners of the internet where this can be 'debated'.
Probably best we leave it be for now I think.

jakew82
3/15/2024 6:32am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2024 6:36am

The Vojo article has been updated to include a response from Thibaut..

https://www.vojomag.com/news/thibaut-daprela-sexprime-on-a-clairement-essaye-de-me-detruire/

Vojo managed today to get in direct contact with Thibaut Dapréla who spoke publicly about his double departure in just a few months, first from the Commençal team, then from Canyon CLLCTV. Here are the pilot's reactions.

Before we begin, let’s provide some context. This Thursday, March 14, Thibaut Dapréla announced on his social networks his separation, by mutual agreement, from the Canyon CLLCTV team where he had only just arrived (at the beginning of January) from the Commencal Muc-Off team where he had been since his beginnings. This very surprising double departure led to a number of questions and allegations were made that these two departures were linked to extra-sporting reasons. You can find all the information in this first article that we published:  After Commençal, the very strange departure of Thibaut Dapréla from Canyon .

We managed to contact Thibaut Dapréla directly, currently in Portugal to take part in a preparation race, this Friday March 15 in the morning. Here is the content of our exchange with the French pilot:

“  I did not wish to communicate further at the start, but faced with certain defamatory comments and allegations which come back to me from certain people who nevertheless shake my hand and smile at me when they see me but who attack me from behind, I would like to give some additional elements because this goes too far. It takes a lot of energy from me when I would like to devote myself to my sport and winning races. »

First of all, we asked Thibaut Dapréla the reasons for his departure from the Commençal team. “  It’s a considered decision. I wanted a change of horizon and I was very happy with this new start. Unfortunately, following the announcement of my arrival within the Canyon CLLCTV team, problems began because obviously people in the community who knew my sporting abilities perfectly did not appreciate the fact that I was riding for Canyon at all. From there, people clearly tried to destroy or even destabilize me with odious practices. These actions caused a lot of harm to me but also to my loved ones and my family, which demonstrates vile, disloyal behavior and very far from sporting values. I could never have imagined such a smear campaign. »

“  Unfortunately I can't say more because there is nothing to say. This is where it is terrible and frustrating for me and my family, my parents, my little sister.  »

Then, we asked the question about leaving Canyon. “  This was done by mutual agreement, for legal reasons. On the other hand, I would like to point out that even if I ride within a private structure and if I am no longer part of the Canyon CLLCTV team, I will ride on a Canyon Sender next season. I will also keep most of the components that I have been testing for several months in order to capitalize on all the work done this winter.  »

Finally, we returned to the allegations which point to extra-sporting reasons for the departure of Thibaut Dapréla from the Commencal/Muc-Off structures, then Canyon.  There is no extra-sporting reason. However, given the way things are going, my family and I are now surrounded by advisors and lawyers in order, if necessary, to pursue anyone who still makes insulting or defamatory remarks about me. I don't like it but unfortunately, in today's society with the continued presence of social networks, we are forced to do this to protect ourselves. »

We will continue to keep you informed of any further developments.

bizutch
Fantasy
2149th
3/15/2024 6:42am

So...Gwin's elbow is still a maybe & still very much sucks

vweb
Fantasy
536th
3/15/2024 7:51am
jakew82 wrote:
The Vojo article has been updated to include a response from Thibaut.. https://www.vojomag.com/news/thibaut-daprela-sexprime-on-a-clairement-essaye-de-me-detruire/ Vojo managed today to get in direct contact with Thibaut Dapréla who spoke...

https://www.vojomag.com/news/thibaut-daprela-sexprime-on-a-clairement-essaye-de-me-detruire/

Vojo managed today to get in direct contact with Thibaut Dapréla who spoke publicly about his double departure in just a few months, first from the Commençal team, then from Canyon CLLCTV. Here are the pilot's reactions.

Before we begin, let’s provide some context. This Thursday, March 14, Thibaut Dapréla announced on his social networks his separation, by mutual agreement, from the Canyon CLLCTV team where he had only just arrived (at the beginning of January) from the Commencal Muc-Off team where he had been since his beginnings. This very surprising double departure led to a number of questions and allegations were made that these two departures were linked to extra-sporting reasons. You can find all the information in this first article that we published:  After Commençal, the very strange departure of Thibaut Dapréla from Canyon .

We managed to contact Thibaut Dapréla directly, currently in Portugal to take part in a preparation race, this Friday March 15 in the morning. Here is the content of our exchange with the French pilot:

“  I did not wish to communicate further at the start, but faced with certain defamatory comments and allegations which come back to me from certain people who nevertheless shake my hand and smile at me when they see me but who attack me from behind, I would like to give some additional elements because this goes too far. It takes a lot of energy from me when I would like to devote myself to my sport and winning races. »

First of all, we asked Thibaut Dapréla the reasons for his departure from the Commençal team. “  It’s a considered decision. I wanted a change of horizon and I was very happy with this new start. Unfortunately, following the announcement of my arrival within the Canyon CLLCTV team, problems began because obviously people in the community who knew my sporting abilities perfectly did not appreciate the fact that I was riding for Canyon at all. From there, people clearly tried to destroy or even destabilize me with odious practices. These actions caused a lot of harm to me but also to my loved ones and my family, which demonstrates vile, disloyal behavior and very far from sporting values. I could never have imagined such a smear campaign. »

“  Unfortunately I can't say more because there is nothing to say. This is where it is terrible and frustrating for me and my family, my parents, my little sister.  »

Then, we asked the question about leaving Canyon. “  This was done by mutual agreement, for legal reasons. On the other hand, I would like to point out that even if I ride within a private structure and if I am no longer part of the Canyon CLLCTV team, I will ride on a Canyon Sender next season. I will also keep most of the components that I have been testing for several months in order to capitalize on all the work done this winter.  »

Finally, we returned to the allegations which point to extra-sporting reasons for the departure of Thibaut Dapréla from the Commencal/Muc-Off structures, then Canyon.  There is no extra-sporting reason. However, given the way things are going, my family and I are now surrounded by advisors and lawyers in order, if necessary, to pursue anyone who still makes insulting or defamatory remarks about me. I don't like it but unfortunately, in today's society with the continued presence of social networks, we are forced to do this to protect ourselves. »

"Unfortunately, following the announcement of my arrival within the Canyon CLLCTV team, problems began because obviously people in the community who knew my sporting abilities perfectly did not appreciate the fact that I was riding for Canyon at all."

That's cryptic.

bizutch
Fantasy
2149th
3/15/2024 7:55am
jakew82 wrote:
The Vojo article has been updated to include a response from Thibaut.. https://www.vojomag.com/news/thibaut-daprela-sexprime-on-a-clairement-essaye-de-me-detruire/ Vojo managed today to get in direct contact with Thibaut Dapréla who spoke...

vweb wrote:
"Unfortunately, following the announcement of my arrival within the Canyon CLLCTV team, problems began because obviously people in the community who knew my sporting abilities perfectly...

"Unfortunately, following the announcement of my arrival within the Canyon CLLCTV team, problems began because obviously people in the community who knew my sporting abilities perfectly did not appreciate the fact that I was riding for Canyon at all."

That's cryptic.

Not cryptic. Just vague descriptions of a circumstance someone can't disclose in French either translated into English or a French person trying to speak English and it being transcribed.  

Just read the whole gibberish as "I'm being vague and not saying anything"

Verbl Kint
3/15/2024 8:14am

A rape allegation is quite serious, there is no way Daprela will ever come out looking good EVEN if he is exonerated. OTOH, rape is a very serious crime which merits the worst possible punishment in the country where it was committed.

toast2266
Fantasy
75th
3/15/2024 8:17am

Departs from 2 teams in 3 months.  Now has "advisors and lawyers" to deal with the rumors surrounding the circumstances.  I'll withhold judgment until more facts come out, but I'll be very surprised if Daprela comes out of this clean.

bizutch
Fantasy
2149th
3/15/2024 8:20am

So...is ARI Bikes just KHS re-structured? Nic, Kailey, etc all on the brand now & KHS site is fairly terminal.

3/15/2024 8:22am
jakew82 wrote:

So it seems like he is definitely implying that rumors exist, perhaps started by other people who may be jealous, but it is a lie? I am quite skeptical just because it is a huge move to cut bait completely. Like I would imagine Canyon would not release him right now without good reason.

With that being said, any NBA fans remember Ime Udoka getting bounced from the Celtics and initially the reports were it is ghastly. Two years later, it seems he just slept with the wrong person's wife consensually and got run out of town because the person wanted him gone, and the players were not satisfied. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077006-woj-celtics-locker-room-ne…

I am not saying I think Thibaut is an everyday philanderer and innocent, but I will say the rumor mill can go to darker places than the truth, and institutions can be cautious. This is all to provide counterweight to my instinct that there is some actually shady stuff there if he is gone. We will see.

Snfoilhat
Fantasy
2682nd
3/15/2024 8:39am
jakew82 wrote:

It's not a good look. The job is brand ambassador. Say you find yourself the respondent to a claim of sexual violence and you are totally flabbergasted. However your sponsors, your team mates, your competitors, fans of your sport -- everybody -- they inhabit a world where sexual violence is more pervasive than many are willing to believe, where claimants have been met with hostility from peers, organizations, and random members of the public who for all their different reasons have wanted to quash claimants' stories. You live in a world where mistakes happen but all the available evidence strongly supports the idea that intentional false claims of sexual violence are rare. So even on the day you are shocked to find yourself respondent to a claim of sexual violence, you might want to acknowledge that you live in the same world as all the people it is a pro racer's profession to be able to connect with. Playing the victim, centering oneself in the story amidst an unnamed conspiracy trying to ruin your reputation for unknown reasons, blaming the social media networks that on any other day your viability as a brand ambassador is built on, threatening to sue anyone who writes something you don't like? When being mentioned in media is your job? They're the same moves that set the bad conditions (hostility toward claimants, disbelief, underreporting, retaliation) everyone out in the real world is facing on the day before you found out you were the respondent to claim of sexual violence. You can be surprised, worried, angry, have a whole gamut of emotions and questions, but you're going to be judged for your actions and how they look vis-a-vis your profession of pro athlete, which only makes money if it makes people feel good by association with you and the sport. Getting the same slimy legal counsel/public relations and doing just what countless actual abusers have done is not going to promote a positive outcome for anybody you'd want to be associated with.

veefour
3/15/2024 9:08am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2024 9:12am
So it seems like he is definitely implying that rumors exist, perhaps started by other people who may be jealous, but it is a lie? I...

So it seems like he is definitely implying that rumors exist, perhaps started by other people who may be jealous, but it is a lie? I am quite skeptical just because it is a huge move to cut bait completely. Like I would imagine Canyon would not release him right now without good reason.

With that being said, any NBA fans remember Ime Udoka getting bounced from the Celtics and initially the reports were it is ghastly. Two years later, it seems he just slept with the wrong person's wife consensually and got run out of town because the person wanted him gone, and the players were not satisfied. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077006-woj-celtics-locker-room-ne…

I am not saying I think Thibaut is an everyday philanderer and innocent, but I will say the rumor mill can go to darker places than the truth, and institutions can be cautious. This is all to provide counterweight to my instinct that there is some actually shady stuff there if he is gone. We will see.

The adverse publicity just from the allegation may have been enough for them to let him go. 

I would have thought he would've been charged by now if the police (and the prosecution service) believed there was a case, seeing as this goes all the way back to last summer. From what I've seen he hasn't been, although I don't know if laws on confidentiality are different in France to the UK. I say this because a guy I know was falsely accused of rape, was charged and named by the press within a couple of weeks of the accusation. Charges were then dropped due to his accuser admitting she'd lied just before it went to court (it still ruined his life though, over 10 years later some people still say there's no smoke without fire).

I'm in no way defending Daprela, just trying to keep an open mind at this point. Do people who are stating he's a rapist know it for a fact, or have they just based it on comments they've seen on social media?

luisgutrod
Fantasy
219th
3/15/2024 9:27am

get your popcorn as pinkbike got a little derailed thread on pompon article ; )

Kusa
Fantasy
1431st
3/15/2024 9:28am

This starts to be a bit of witch hunt. No one knows anything but everyone is already a judge. Maybe time to move on. As posted above, France has a strong law system and if there was a crime committed, it will be prosecuted.

3/15/2024 9:44am
So it seems like he is definitely implying that rumors exist, perhaps started by other people who may be jealous, but it is a lie? I...

veefour wrote:
The adverse publicity just from the allegation may have been enough for them to let him go.  I would have thought he would've been charged by...

The adverse publicity just from the allegation may have been enough for them to let him go. 

I would have thought he would've been charged by now if the police (and the prosecution service) believed there was a case, seeing as this goes all the way back to last summer. From what I've seen he hasn't been, although I don't know if laws on confidentiality are different in France to the UK. I say this because a guy I know was falsely accused of rape, was charged and named by the press within a couple of weeks of the accusation. Charges were then dropped due to his accuser admitting she'd lied just before it went to court (it still ruined his life though, over 10 years later some people still say there's no smoke without fire).

I'm in no way defending Daprela, just trying to keep an open mind at this point. Do people who are stating he's a rapist know it for a fact, or have they just based it on comments they've seen on social media?

This is all true, but sexual assault is a crime that is famously hard to prosecute, at least in the US. Not sure about France, but it would not surprise me.

Zuestman
Fantasy
552nd
3/15/2024 9:57am
bizutch wrote:

So...is ARI Bikes just KHS re-structured? Nic, Kailey, etc all on the brand now & KHS site is fairly terminal.

no, though Nic and Kailey came from KHS, ARI is the re-brand of Fezzari bikes.  The ARI team has nothing to do with KHS, they have a different team this season. This is fully ARI bikes based (including team management etc.)

pinkrobe
3/15/2024 10:21am
luisgutrod wrote:

Not quite the shitshow I was expecting, but it probably needs more time... Silly

bizutch
Fantasy
2149th
3/15/2024 10:45am
luisgutrod wrote:

pinkrobe wrote:
Not quite the shitshow I was expecting, but it probably needs more time... 

Not quite the shitshow I was expecting, but it probably needs more time... Silly

I found all I needed in the comments.  A great chuckle.  
So glad I deleted my account but would love to read the downvoted comments.

image-20240315134557-1

gibbon
3/15/2024 10:52am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2024 11:04am
luisgutrod wrote:

pinkrobe wrote:

From PB-"I just found out about the allegations. And I have to say, I’m not shocked. There was always something about him that rubbed me the wrong way, even when he was seeing some success, I wasn’t stoked."
You see this is the level of informed discourse we should aspire to on here.

cmkneeland
3/15/2024 11:10am
luisgutrod wrote:

pinkrobe wrote:

Time to get this show on the road

3/15/2024 11:11am
luisgutrod wrote:

pinkrobe wrote:

bizutch wrote:
I found all I needed in the comments.  A great chuckle.   So glad I deleted my account but would love to read the downvoted comments.

image-20240315134557-1

Is it an incel move to discuss an alleged sex crime scandal rather than shove it under the rug?

gibbon
3/15/2024 11:48am

Is it an incel move to discuss an alleged sex crime scandal rather than shove it under the rug?

With no facts, just conjecture and hearsay............lil' bit.

fartsack
Fantasy
1762nd
3/15/2024 11:56am

At commencal it was either letting go muc-off or thibault.

It was the smarter decission

hogfly
Fantasy
1799th
3/15/2024 1:03pm
pinkrobe wrote:

bizutch wrote:
I found all I needed in the comments.  A great chuckle.   So glad I deleted my account but would love to read the downvoted comments.

image-20240315134557-1

I think the “incel” move is more to victim shame/blame and be convinced that all women secretly are wanting to sleep with men and just withhold their sexual favors out of a perverse desire to exercise power over men. At least that seems to be the mindset of the incel community I’ve had the misfortune to interact with. Not sure there’s much of that attitude evidenced at Vital. 

vweb
Fantasy
536th
3/15/2024 1:39pm
fartsack wrote:

If that's true I'd understand.

Not so long ago, Muc-Off seems to already have threatened them to leave, following some... erm... let's say "inapropriate language in a story on IG". From a certain Hulk look-alike rider. Who IS in the Commençal Muc-Off team...

veefour
3/15/2024 1:42pm
fartsack wrote:

vweb wrote:
If that's true I'd understand. Not so long ago, Muc-Off seems to already have threatened them to leave, following some... erm... let's say "inapropriate language in...

If that's true I'd understand.

Not so long ago, Muc-Off seems to already have threatened them to leave, following some... erm... let's say "inapropriate language in a story on IG". From a certain Hulk look-alike rider. Who IS in the Commençal Muc-Off team...

Ah, would that be the story where the black team manager lost his job in the fight against racism?

Post a reply to: 2024 TEAM RUMORS

The Latest