Not Mechanical, Not for Aftermarket Purchase - SRAM Launches S-1000 Eagle Transmission

sspomer
Fantasy
66th

The lastest edition of SRAM Eagle Transmission is here and is dubbed S1000. The group is not mechanical (as many of you had hoped) and consists of a new crankset, rear derailleur, and cassette. There is no price info because the group is slated for OE only, not aftermarket...for now?

Press Release Below

Eagle Transmission is the realization of the dream to fundamentally change the way we shift and ride a mountain bike. It radically simplifies, strengthens, and extends lifespan to new limits. It uses no derailleur hanger or adjustment screws and lets you shift flawlessly under maximum power. And now with the introduction of new T-Type components to the Eagle Transmission Ecosystem, it delivers the dream to even more riders.

SRAM S1000 EAGLE CRANKSET

FC-S1000-C1

The S-1000 Transmission crankset features a sleek, sturdy crankarm engineered for robustness and reliability. Like other cranks in the Transmission ecosystem, the S-1000 crank features 8-bolt ring compatibility and a stamped steel or aluminum ring with optional bash guards for durability and protection on the trail. Cross-compatibility with chainring options and bashguards allows for easy aftermarket customization.

Features

– Forged aluminum crankarm with 8-bolt ring compatibility
– Integrated composite bashguards shared with GX and X0 Eagle Transmission
– 155mm, 160mm, 165mm, 170mm, 175mm lengths
– Stamped steel or aluminum chainrings
– Compatible with all SRAM T-Type components
– OE availability only

SRAM S1000 EAGLE E-MTB CRANKSET

FC-S1000-PA-C1

The S-1000 Transmission E-MTB crank is a sleek, sturdy crankarm engineered for robustness and reliability. This unique design is forged from aluminum for robustness and dependability without compromising weight. SRAM, Brose, and Bosch motors pair with our “gap cap” for an aesthetically pleasing integrated look.

– 150mm, 155mm, 160mm, 165mm, 170mm lengths
– SRAM, Brose, Bosch, ISIS variants
– OE availability only

SRAM S1000 EAGLE TRANSMISSION DERAILLEUR

RD-S1000-A1

The S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur is the entry point to the Eagle Transmission ecosystem. Utilizing the same striking architecture as our GX Eagle Transmission derailleur, the Full Mount design mounts around the wheel axle itself with no hanger required, bringing strength and durability to UDH-equipped bikes. Cassette Mapping, a marriage of the derailleur’s firmware with the hardware of our T-Type cassettes, helps deliver the best shift under load, even under the added power of an E-MTB. And like all Eagle Transmission derailleurs, it’s rebuildable, with replaceable skid plates and two-piece outer link, and a removable cage assembly that simply rotates off. Featuring a sleek black-on-black appearance, this derailleur can be mixed and matched with all other T-Type ecosystem components. The S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur also features our new Drag Spring Cage Damper for reliable chain retention and long-term durability.

– Shares GX Eagle Transmission architecture with sleek black colorway
– New drag spring cage damper
– Hangerless Interface, Full Mount attachment method
– Radically clear setup process, no adjustment required
– OE availability only

SRAM XS1270 EAGLE TRANSMISSION CASSETTE

CS-XS-1270-A1

Housing the same medal-winning technology as our other Transmission cassettes, our XS-1270 Eagle Transmission Cassette offers incredible performance for more riders. Finished in a unique nickel chrome, this cassette is quiet, durable and features a replaceable gear cluster. And for the first time on a traditional splined driver body, features a full 10-52t range thanks to the integration of the 10-tooth cog and lockring.

– Complete 10-52t range
– Gears 8-12 (10-12-14-16-18t) are a replaceable cluster
– Splined 8, 9, 10 Speed Driverbody compatible – steel Driverbody material required
– Full X-SYNC design for best-ever inboard and outboard shifting performance under load
– Unique black nickel chrome finish
– 55mm chainline compatibility for more moderate chain angle, longer wear and greater precision. Setup Cog for simple set up

S1000 Rear Derailleur FAQs

How is the SRAM S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur different from previous Eagle Transmission derailleurs? The SRAM S-1000 Eagle Transmission rear derailleur shares the same architecture as our GX Eagle Transmission derailleur, but features a unique black anodized finish and a cage assembly with a drag spring damper.

Is the SRAM S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur compatible with other T-Type components? Yes, the S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur is compatible with the otherT-Type components in the Eagle Transmission ecosystem, making it possible to upgrade your chain, cassette, chainring or crankset. It is also compatible with all AXS Controllers.

What parts of the S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur are rebuildable or replaceable? The S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur has replaceable skid plates, a two-piece outer link, and a removable cage assembly that rotates off allowing you to rebuild your derailleur when necessary. The knurled ring, mount bolt, frame insert sleeve, and setup key can also be replaced. In addition to being rebuildable, the S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur is also compatible with all Eagle Transmission cage assemblies.

Where can I buy the S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur? The S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur is available on select OE bikes only. It will not be available for individual sale.

Is the S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur compatible with the AXS app? Yes, the S-1000 Eagle Transmission derailleur is compatible with the AXS app, as well as with Eagle Powertrain and Flight Attendant.

S1000 Cranks FAQs

What are the S-1000 Eagle Transmission and S-1000 Eagle Transmission E-MTB cranksets made out of? Engineered for robustness and reliability, the S-1000 Eagle Transmission cranksets are made from forged aluminum.

Does the S-1000 Eagle Transmission crankset come with bashguards? The bashguard configuration that comes with your bike is determined by the bike brand and may be dictated by intended use. If you would like to add or replace the bashguards for your S-1000 crankset, they are the same integrated composite bashguards shared with GX or X0 Eagle Transmission. The bashguards can be removed if preferred.

Where can I buy the S-1000 Eagle Transmission crankset? The S-1000 Eagle Transmission crankset is available on select OE bikes only. It will not be available for individual sale.

What is the “gap cap” and what motors does it pair with? The gap cap covers the gap between the E-MTB crank and chainring on the drive unit side, increasing protection from contamination. It is currently available for SRAM Powertrain, Bosch, and TQ drive units when both the SRAM chainring and crank arms are used.

Is the S-1000 Eagle Transmission crankset compatible with other T-Type components? Yes, the S-1000 Eagle Transmission crankset uses an 8-bolt interface and is compatible with the other T-Type components in the Eagle Transmission ecosystem.

Is the S-1000 Eagle Transmission E-MTB crankset compatible with other T-Type components? Yes, the S-1000 Eagle Transmission E-MTB crankset is compatible with the other T-Type components in the Transmission ecosystem.

Where can I buy the S-1000 Eagle Transmission E-MTB crankset? The S-1000 Eagle Transmission E-MTB crankset is available on select OE e-bikes only. It will not be available for individual sale.

S1000 Cassette FAQs

What gear range is available on the XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette? The XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette is available in a complete 10-52T range, with gear steps that match all other Eagle Transmission cassettes.

Is any part of the XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette replaceable? Yes, a replacement kit of the 10T-18T cogs for the XS-1270 cassette will be available, with the 10T, 12T, 14T, and 16T cogs in a welded cluster and the 18T cog separate.

What driver body is the XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette compatible with? The XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette uses a traditional splined driver body, compatible with an HG style 8/9/10-speed splined driver body, or on an 11-speed HG driver body with a 1.85mm spacer.

Does the XS-1270 Cassette feature full X-SYNC technology like other Eagle Transmission cassettes? Yes, the XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette features the same full X-SYNC design, allowing for the best shifting performance under load.

What is the chainline of the XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette? The XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette is optimized for a 52-55mm chainline.

Is the XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette compatible with other T-Type components? Yes, the XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette is compatible with the other T-Type components in the Eagle Transmission ecosystem.

How do I remove/reinstall the XS-1270 cassette? For XS-1270 cassette removal and reinstallation instructions, please see the manual.

Where can I buy the XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette? Currently, the SRAM XS-1270 Eagle Transmission cassette will be available on select OE bikes only. The replacement XS-1270 Eagle 10T-18T gear cluster will be available as a spare part.

Can I upgrade the XS-1270 CS? Yes, however an XD driver body is required when upgrading to XS-1275 cassette or higher.

Hit up sram.com for more info

|
Eoin
Fantasy
42nd
7/2/2024 7:05am

Any weights being announced?

Am I the only idiot waiting for 11s wireless? The cassettes are so much lighter and cheaper!

Murph
Fantasy
1156th
7/2/2024 7:33am

What is a "drag spring damper"? Google is not providing any clear explanations.

Sounds to me like it is the spring system used in the derailleur clutch

7/2/2024 7:40am

Murph wrote:

Well, yes, but how does it actually function compared to a roller-bearing clutch or a ratchet clutch?

Murph
Fantasy
1156th
7/2/2024 8:15am

Murph wrote:

Well, yes, but how does it actually function compared to a roller-bearing clutch or a ratchet clutch?

It’s called marketing

bulletbass man
Fantasy
169th
7/2/2024 8:33am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2024 8:33am

Nice to see short cranks available to the oe market

TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
371st
7/2/2024 11:10am

This feels like the product no one was asking for. Maybe SRAM knows something about the MTB market that I don't, but doesn't it seem like a mechanical Transmission has 1000% more market interest than an SX-level battery-operated system?

mrpfp
Fantasy
614th
7/2/2024 11:33am

Visually speaking, not one of those components looks like it’s under 900 grams alone.

Dave_Camp
Fantasy
76th
7/2/2024 12:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2024 12:34pm
TEAMROBOT wrote:
This feels like the product no one was asking for. Maybe SRAM knows something about the MTB market that I don't, but doesn't it seem like...

This feels like the product no one was asking for. Maybe SRAM knows something about the MTB market that I don't, but doesn't it seem like a mechanical Transmission has 1000% more market interest than an SX-level battery-operated system?

I think they know what sells to OEMs (not a bunch of crusty forum nerds).

pretty sure OG wireless Eagle sold like 10x what they anticipated originally.

bizutch
Fantasy
684th
7/2/2024 1:43pm

This reads as an attempt to FORCE manufacturers to spec something they have no interest in trying to upsell to the consumer.
SRAM minion - "OEM isn't wanting to spec this at the price point we're offering sir."
SRAM corporate overlord (former at Coca Cola) - "Buy ad space on all the websites.  Consumers will scream for it & they' have no choice but to accept our margins."  followed by a Mr. Burns level chortle.

metadave
Fantasy
2320th
7/2/2024 2:12pm
bizutch wrote:
This reads as an attempt to FORCE manufacturers to spec something they have no interest in trying to upsell to the consumer. SRAM minion - "OEM...

This reads as an attempt to FORCE manufacturers to spec something they have no interest in trying to upsell to the consumer.
SRAM minion - "OEM isn't wanting to spec this at the price point we're offering sir."
SRAM corporate overlord (former at Coca Cola) - "Buy ad space on all the websites.  Consumers will scream for it & they' have no choice but to accept our margins."  followed by a Mr. Burns level chortle.

I just can't wait to explain to a customer that replacing the derailleur on their brand new $3500 alloy FS bike (as this will end up on those bikes next year) will cost $600 (Current cad pricing for GX transmission RD). Or I can replace the entire drivetrain with Shimano Linkglide that does the same thing, for a few dollars less.  

smelly
7/2/2024 7:57pm
metadave wrote:
I just can't wait to explain to a customer that replacing the derailleur on their brand new $3500 alloy FS bike (as this will end up...

I just can't wait to explain to a customer that replacing the derailleur on their brand new $3500 alloy FS bike (as this will end up on those bikes next year) will cost $600 (Current cad pricing for GX transmission RD). Or I can replace the entire drivetrain with Shimano Linkglide that does the same thing, for a few dollars less.  

And how often are you suspecting you’ll get the complaint of “my shifter stopped working”, only to find the battery is dead?

the SX/NX crowd doesn’t strike me as the type to do their own maintenance or remember to do things like change a battery on a bicycle (based on the folks I see on the trails, half of them aren’t lubing their chain, so derailleur battery seems like a big ask). 

DoubleCrownKing
Fantasy
1327th
7/3/2024 1:43am
Eoin wrote:

Any weights being announced?

Am I the only idiot waiting for 11s wireless? The cassettes are so much lighter and cheaper!

I use 11s Shimano and I would totally go for that!

DoubleCrownKing
Fantasy
1327th
7/3/2024 1:46am
metadave wrote:
I just can't wait to explain to a customer that replacing the derailleur on their brand new $3500 alloy FS bike (as this will end up...

This! Until they get this to the market at much lower prices, I don't see the point really. A derailleur is so exposed and it is discardable, whether we like it or not. I'll stick with my trusty 11s XT system.

7/3/2024 6:00am

This feels like it's aimed at lower end OEM e-bike market, so OEM can buy an entire SRAM/RS package at a lower price. The 12sp HG body cassette is the most interesting part. 

Primoz
Fantasy
783rd
7/3/2024 7:59am
TEAMROBOT wrote:
This feels like the product no one was asking for. Maybe SRAM knows something about the MTB market that I don't, but doesn't it seem like...

Dave_Camp wrote:
I think they know what sells to OEMs (not a bunch of crusty forum nerds).   pretty sure OG wireless Eagle sold like 10x what they...

I think they know what sells to OEMs (not a bunch of crusty forum nerds).

pretty sure OG wireless Eagle sold like 10x what they anticipated originally.

A lot of people around me are really tempted by GX Eagle AXS. They would take it over a mechanical X01 system even.

Explodo
7/3/2024 9:02am

I just don't get the appeal of the electric systems.  I've not tried any of them, but my XT shifts great.  I can't actually fathom better shifting than I've already got from a mechanical system.  You don't know what you don't know though, so perhaps they're great.  I'm very particular about the mechanical operation of my bikes though, so everything is very well maintained.

I see this as a move to get more frame manufacturers to be able to drop rear-derailleur-cable routing from frames.  Each frame design has a lot of price points and if you can't spec cable-free rear shifting across all the price points then you have to design cable routing in. 

In the next 15 years, I'm 99% certain that I'll never own a electric shift bike and I'm 99% certain that I will someday have an e-bike.  Perhaps I'll be forced into e-shifting then, but by that time they will have already surpassed the "automatic transmissions are the greatest and everyone must have it!" dumbing-down of MTB threshold.

7/3/2024 10:59am
Explodo wrote:
I just don't get the appeal of the electric systems.  I've not tried any of them, but my XT shifts great.  I can't actually fathom better...

I just don't get the appeal of the electric systems.  I've not tried any of them, but my XT shifts great.  I can't actually fathom better shifting than I've already got from a mechanical system.  You don't know what you don't know though, so perhaps they're great.  I'm very particular about the mechanical operation of my bikes though, so everything is very well maintained.

I see this as a move to get more frame manufacturers to be able to drop rear-derailleur-cable routing from frames.  Each frame design has a lot of price points and if you can't spec cable-free rear shifting across all the price points then you have to design cable routing in. 

In the next 15 years, I'm 99% certain that I'll never own a electric shift bike and I'm 99% certain that I will someday have an e-bike.  Perhaps I'll be forced into e-shifting then, but by that time they will have already surpassed the "automatic transmissions are the greatest and everyone must have it!" dumbing-down of MTB threshold.

Well there you go, you said it yourself you haven't tried it. It's better. I've run just about every drivetrain you can put on an MTB, and XT is pretty far from the pinnacle of what's out there. I'd go as far as to say it isn't even in the top five.

7/4/2024 11:35am

OE only for HG hubs? Like why u cannot source xd? 

Which means it will be impossible to replace the cassette when it wears out. All other T-type cassettes are for XD drivers. 

Primoz
Fantasy
783rd
7/4/2024 12:05pm

Surely the cassettes will be available aftermarket?

smelly
7/4/2024 1:51pm
Explodo wrote:
I just don't get the appeal of the electric systems.  I've not tried any of them, but my XT shifts great.  I can't actually fathom better...

I can’t imagine that shift cable ports are the reason frames are expensive. Ya got 4 of them on most frames. It’s not like frame prices can drop $1000 by not having shift cable ports. I’d suspect these add no more than $50 to a fancy frame. Maybe $100 if there’s internal tunnels. Anyone who knows better correct me. 
bikes are incorporating reach, head angle, chainstay, and suspension adjustability. it seems silly to exclude shift cable ports, especially when there are gonna be brake and seatpost ports anyway. 

veefour
Fantasy
268th
7/5/2024 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2024 1:39pm
smelly wrote:
I can’t imagine that shift cable ports are the reason frames are expensive. Ya got 4 of them on most frames. It’s not like frame prices...

I can’t imagine that shift cable ports are the reason frames are expensive. Ya got 4 of them on most frames. It’s not like frame prices can drop $1000 by not having shift cable ports. I’d suspect these add no more than $50 to a fancy frame. Maybe $100 if there’s internal tunnels. Anyone who knows better correct me. 
bikes are incorporating reach, head angle, chainstay, and suspension adjustability. it seems silly to exclude shift cable ports, especially when there are gonna be brake and seatpost ports anyway. 

Already a thing on the new Stumpjumper. I'm willing to bet the big S won't be the only ones to do this, especially on the higher end models.

I don't really follow road bike trends, but I believe it's already reasonably commonplace in the curly bar world.

Post a reply to: Not Mechanical, Not for Aftermarket Purchase - SRAM Launches S-1000 Eagle Transmission

The Latest