Advice on upgrading a new Giant Trance X 3 2022

Edited Date/Time 9/23/2023 10:14am

I've had the Giant Trance X 3 2022 for a few months and it really has been a great bike. I love to tinker and decided to upgrade it with Shimano XT components (and will keep the old ones as backups). Generally speaking, I believe that swapping new Shimano parts should be straightforward though if anyone has any suggestions or things to watch out for please let me know as I'm still fairly new to understanding components.
In particular, I'm curious to know if the bottom bracket and crank (32 teeth) can be swapped out (or better to leave alone since it says it is a Praxis press fit). Also, should the cassette be easy to swap out? I believe that the derailleur, chain, and brakes should be fairly straightforward to upgrade. 

I'm considering the following groupkit(s). Ultimately, I'm looking at different variants of the Shimano 12 speed Deore XT M8100 kits. 
* Option 1 (without crank and bb) - can't find the link right now but it is the same as option 3 but without the bb and crank

* Option 2 (no brakes)

* Option 3 (everything)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! There are many great resources online but if you have any recommendations on one specific to choosing the correct upgrades or at least beginning to understand component compatibility that would be most appreciated. 

(below are the specs of my current bike)giant trance x 3 2022

(Below are the specs for the full groupset in case that the links above do not work. )

Shimano Deore XT M8100 12S Groupset M8100 MTB Brake 170mm 34T 36T 12 Speed Shifter Derailleur 126L Bicycle Chain BB MT800 MT500

Pls note, we send the left lever for front brake, right lever for rear brake by default.

BL-M8100

-With a focus on reduced weight and cross-country tuned stopping power, the SHIMANO DEORE XT BL-M8100 lever provides intuitive modulation so that you can explore your limits with confidence.
-Intuitive and versatile braking keeps your focus on the trail
-Optimized lever axle position with the additional contact point and refined ergonomics
-Greater flexibility and action-optimized cockpit layout
-I-SPEC EV
-High rigidity
-10% stiffer than M8000 even under high temp conditions
-Quicker brake engagement with shorter free stroke
-Rider tuned adjustment
-Toolless reach adjust
-Free stroke adjust

BR-M8100

-With a focus on reduced weight and cross-country tuned stopping power, the SHIMANO DEORE XT BL-M8100 lever provides intuitive modulation so that you can explore your limits with confidence.
-Intuitive and versatile braking keeps your focus on the trail
-Optimized lever axle position with the additional contact point and refined ergonomics
-Greater flexibility and action-optimized cockpit layout
-I-SPEC EV
-High rigidity
-10% stiffer than M8000 even under high temp conditions
-Quicker brake engagement with shorter free stroke
-Rider tuned adjustment
-Toolless reach adjust
-Free stroke adjust

SHIMANO DEORE XT - HOLLOWTECH II - MTB Crankset - 172 mm Q-Factor - 1x12-speed

The SHIMANO DEORE XT FC-M8100-1 crank features entirely new construction, using direct mount chainrings, a special gear tooth profile for improved chain retention, and a 172mm Q-factor.

FEATURE

-Special MTB gear teeth profile improves chain engagement and retention,
-Sturdy and Lightweight Design, Suitable for intense off-road riding
-A hollow-forged crank maximizes power transfer while limiting weight
-BENEFIT close
-Superior chain retention
-Rigid and lightweight design for aggressive trail riding

Q-factor: 172 mm
Chainline: 52 mm

SL-M8100-R

-SHIMANO's RAPIDFIRE PLUS DEORE XT shift lever delivers light and responsive front shifting for improved control out on the trail. The new I-SPEC EV lever offers a wide range of adjustments including an increased lever slide range.

-Quick and easy shifting heightens focus and control
Quicker lever access and light operation
RAPIDFIRE PLUS
Instantaneous push and pull movements

-2-WAY RELEASE
-35% shifting operation force (vs SL-M8000-R) 20% quicker main lever access (vs SL-M8000-R)

RD-M8100-SGS

SHIMANO DEORE XT - Rear Derailleur - SHIMANO SHADOW RD+ - 1x12-speed
The all-new SHIMANO DEORE XT M8100 series of derailleurs brings a new level of drivetrain silence thank to decreased tension in the low gear position and an added bumper on the pulley cage. Larger 13T pulleys increase efficiency and chain management while compatibility with SHIMANO's new 12-speed cassettes boosts range.

Fast and precise shifting performance-optimized to take on any trail
Faster and shockless shifting
HYPERGLIDE+The wide range 12-speed drivetrain with low sprocket combination -10-51T

The silent drivetrain in all gear positions
Decreased rear derailleur and chain tension in low gear
New bumper added to rear derailleur pulley cage Bump Stopper
Bigger 13T pulley
The stable drivetrain on rough terrain
Low-profile design
SHIMANO SHADOW RD+

CN-M8100 Chain 12-Speed SHIMANO DEORE XT - 12-Speed - HYPERGLIDE+ - SIL-TEC - MTB Chain

The M8100 chain provides enhanced chain retention thanks to an extended portion of the inner plate. The new chain features quick-link assembly and SIL-TEC treatment for extended offroad durability.

FEATURE
-Extended inner plate improves chain engagement and retention
-Reduced shift times and pedaling shock
-Non-reusable
-Quick assembly tool QUICK-LINK connecting & removing pliers (TL-CN10)
-QUICK-LINK connecting & removing pliers (TL-CN10)
-BENEFIT close
-Proprietary design ensures smooth shifts and strength
-Compatible with a 12-speed drivetrain
-Easy connection (SM-CN910-12)

SHIMANO DEORE XT - 12-Speed - HYPERGLIDE+ - MTB Cassette Sprocket

With its BEAM SPIDER construction, the new SHIMANO DEORE XT M8100 12-speed cassette shaves weight while increasing SHIMANO's MTB gearing range to another gear. Using SHIMANO's new MICRO SPLINE freehub body and HYPERGLIDE+ tooth profile, the 10-51T cassettes deliver advanced shifting performance.

FEATURE
-New shift ramp designs provide the fastest, smoothest shifts by HYPERGLIDE+
-Lighter and stiffer construction
-Reduces cassette inertia resulting in faster acceleration and increased chain security
-10T lowest sprocket realized by new FREEHUB body construction
-BENEFIT close
-Definitive shifting performance
-MICRO SPLINE
-Wide range and close step 12-speed drivetrain
-470g (10-51T)

|
lucythefin
Fantasy
2108th
9/23/2023 11:55pm

What do you want to accomplish with your upgrades? What notable differences in the way the bike rides are you hoping to distinguish from the components you have now?

From looking at the components on your bike and what you are looking to upgrade to, it seems like you are just spending money to say you have nicer, more upscale, expensive components.

Here is a good article breaking down some of the difference in Shimano groupsets and the actual difference in feel, which is almost indistinguishable. 

https://nsmb.com/articles/xtr-vs-deore-can-you-tell-difference/

Some of the most worthy upgrades to make to a bike that will change the ride and capability for the better will be suspension, brakes, weight reduction and touch points. Again, what do you want to accomplish with your upgrades?

sethimus
Fantasy
2408th
9/24/2023 1:19am

get a xt shifter so you have the better performance, keep the derailleur. if you want the servo wave levers, just upgrad to deore ones, keep the caliper. ride the cassette till worn. use saved money to buy better suspension. profit.

9/24/2023 10:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2023 10:08pm

Good question lucythefin. In all honesty, I simply like to tinker with things in general, and in doing so with this bike, I can end up with higher grade components. I have a hardtail from the 90s and back then, the difference between XT and Deore/LX was meaningful. Perhaps on a 3x9 drivetrain the XT vs Deore difference becomes more marked? I switched to XT components on that bike and it has held up very well for close to 20 years. 

I imagine it is the same nowadays since bikes with XT components (or the like) literally sell for 1000s more. XT is lighter, more durable and in many cases slightly better than Deore but that premium is worth it in the long run no? I would like to make the bike lighter and also do plan to eventually(once I wear out the Yari) switch out the suspension to essentially turn the fork from a Yari to a Lirik (Lirik like). I plan to keep the bike for as long as possible so I'm taking a long term view here. Tyvm for the article that you posted. It appears that Deore performance is very close to XT/XTR at least in the author's view. 

Ty sethimus, your suggestion makes sense and will consider it. Just making sure, when you mention "servo wave levers" you are referring to the brake levers? If upgrading those, why not just go to XT ones in the same manner that I could upgrade to an XT shifter for better feel/performance? 

In summary, I would like to make the bike lighter and get the most durable components for the long run.

sethimus
Fantasy
2408th
9/25/2023 12:40am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2023 12:41am

the only thing you gain with xt levers is the tool free range adjust and the free stroke screw that not really has any function. as you already have the br-mt420 you can easily upgrade to deore as they also don‘t use a banjo line. brake performance is exactly the same. those levers have about 10% more power than the mt401 you have, so you gain here. as you would with the xt shifters with the multirelease. upgrade smart, invest in gains, not perceived prestige/value. also get a custom tuned cartridge for your yari instead of a lyrik. same chassis… get a better shock instead, super deluxe ultimate rc2t or a coil if you really want better performance for a low price

fyi, my chosen drivetrain consists of xt shifters, deore derailleur (i tend to destroy at least one per year), xt cassette (best bang for weight to price ratio), slx cranks (they are even lighter than xt) /w wolftooth chainring. 

lucythefin
Fantasy
2108th
9/25/2023 3:24am

Sethimus has some good knowledge and advice on upgrading your groupset to maximize gains and spend as little as possible until you start wearing out components. Just upgrading levers and shifter would be the way to go for now.

Your best bang for your buck upgrade that would make the most notable difference, lighten up the bike and make it feel faster and smoother would be some better, lighter wheels with much better hubs. It's a revelation how much a great wheelset and hubs change the feel and performance of a bike.

millsr4
Fantasy
1563rd
9/25/2023 7:20am

Personally I've gone back and forth with Shimano and Sram brakes over the years, I even did the lever upgrade mentioned above with the MT420 calipers, and I now swear by TRP brakes. TRP Quadiems can be found for $150 per end and in my opinion are the best bang for you buck brake out there, I run them on my DH and trail bike. Another thing I want to point out on brakes, all systems benefit from metallic pads regardless of manufacturer. Sure they are a bit louder when wet but they are by far the most powerful and consistent brake pad compound type.  As for the drivetrain mixing I am on the same page as the others here; I run a XT shifter, Deore derailleur, and SLX cassette because the PNW destroys drivetrains and I can't justify paying more for something lighter that will wear out faster. 

9/25/2023 11:06am

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. Just to bring it all together, this is what I believe is a good plan:

* Wheels: Lighter wheels with better hubs. In fact, I'm thinking about going tubeless for various reasons including reduced weight, more shock absorption/higher range in psi settings. Take it from there. 
* Drivetrain: understood on the XT shifter, keep the Deore derailleur and either an SLX or XT cassette. See below for technical question.
* Suspension: not quite clear see questions below...
* Brakes: upgrade the lever from Shimano BL-MT401 to a Deore. Also, consider metalic pads. Later on, if there is good reason to want better braking, consider TRP brakes. 

Outstanding questions:

1. For the cassette do you recommend upgrading the cassette and/or freewheel/hub? I ask because the groupsets I'm finding are a better value if you get the shifter+derailleur+cassette+hub(sometimes you get a new chain) instead of just the shifter and cassette. But really the main question is a technical one, with my current setup, can I simply get the SLX/XT cassette or do I need to get the microspline hub as well? 

2. For the fork I hope that I didn't confuse things. I plan to use the Yari till the internals need swapping (I admit I'm still a newb on this topic). Once that happens, I hear that there are cartridge kits that you can install in the Yari that essentially turns it into a Lirik (or close to it); from what I can tell, Liriks are a pretty good front shock. I couldn't quite catch the suspension suggestions but I believe: 
* front shock - get a custom turned cartridge, not the Yari->Lirik conversion. Can you recommend one?
* rear/frame suspension - I believe that the reference to 'super deluxe ultimate rc2t' was in regards to the rear suspension. 

Again much appreciated. On a side note, I'm thinking of using the spare parts to convert my hard tail from a 3x9 to a 1x12; the front derailleur works but can sometimes jam up. It is prolly over 20 years old. That is why I'm considering the XT 1x12 speed groupset instead of just the shifter and cassette, i.e. should have the option to update the hardtail as well. Ty!

millsr4
Fantasy
1563rd
9/25/2023 4:32pm

Another cheap upgrade for brakes along with pads is to go with bigger rotors but given you have 203/180 rotors I would just stick with those as long as they aren't resin only. 

Outstanding questions:

1. You are going to have to upgrade your freehub to microspline so you may want to wait till you get new wheels to change out your cassette. I find I can usually find better or equivalent pricing to those package deals if I search around a bit online so I wouldn't dictate upgrade decisions based on package pricing personally. 

2. Often times tuning a damper cartridge for a specific rider/riding style can do more for performance than simply upgrading the damper itself. That said, the Lyrik damper is way better than the Yari's so I'd start with swapping it out and go for a custom tune after that if you are looking to tinker more. For the rear shock it is important to get one that is tuned to your frame regardless of how high end it is and there are base tunes on OEM shocks that you can reference when upgrading. 

Post a reply to: Advice on upgrading a new Giant Trance X 3 2022

The Latest