What happened to TiBolts/Springs

Does anyone know why the website is down? Did they go out of business? Any alternative where I can buy ti bolts in the EU?

Thanks
|
eshew
1/28/2020 2:48pm
Ti springs have been out for a while now that the SLS springs are just as light or lighter & less expensive.

For Ti bolts, I hate to say it, but I've been getting mine on ebay from China. I normally don't do chinese stuff but the ti bolts I've received have been great.
1/28/2020 2:53pm
Thanks for the information guys! So basically other than China there is no other place to buy ti bolts? I don’t think I trust Chinese manufacturing for such a delicate material, especially on something like rotor or stem bolts.
eshew
1/29/2020 1:17pm
I think there are other retailers out there.

TRP makes rotor bolts

Ritchey has a set for their stems.

You can always measure yours and they should be readily available to purchase.

I agree with you being skeptical but I've had great luck so far. Anodized Ti stem bolts for an Easton Haven stem have held up for years, same with some colored ti rotor bolts.

But regarding titanium, for a given weight it's stronger than steel but since these bolts are all the same size as steel, any titanium bolt will be weaker compared to high tensile steel. So regardless of where you get your ti bolts from, use a torque wrench.
Big Bird
1/29/2020 2:06pm
As far as worrying about China being the country of origin, I wouldn't be surprised if all of these other companies are selling Ti that's made in China anyway.
Big Bird
1/29/2020 6:52pm
PJ205 wrote:
Check out the guys over at https://betterbolts.com/collections/all. Super nice guys just starting out and actually currently working with Gwin on bolt setups.
Thanks for some actual help for the needy. Those seem like some reasonable prices. Again, I assume that they're made in China, but frankly everything is now a days. Now Ti Springs... They feel so sweet compared to steel. Does this new light steel feel as good? I've never tried it.
erik saunders
1/29/2020 7:49pm
Thanks for the information guys! So basically other than China there is no other place to buy ti bolts? I don’t think I trust Chinese manufacturing...
Thanks for the information guys! So basically other than China there is no other place to buy ti bolts? I don’t think I trust Chinese manufacturing for such a delicate material, especially on something like rotor or stem bolts.
Ti is not actually so terrible and delicate for bolts... and it is stronger than steel... given the same construction, weight and shape, you should expect a Ti part to be stronger than a steel part..

Mostly Steel bolts are forged... Ti bolts are generally NOT forged... they are just machined into the shape of a bolt.. so they end up being not so strong as steel... and this is the beginning of a series of issues that combine to create issues for ti bolts...

sometimes, you can find some forged ti parts for bikes, but its rare...

TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
419th
1/29/2020 10:46pm
You could try running steel bolts and springs. The benefits include: stronger, longer fatigue life, cheaper, and bike weight doesn't matter.
eshew
1/29/2020 10:57pm
That's an excellent point. Not going to lie, I bought the rotor bolts because they were pretty Smile My stem bolts were rusting, figured $8 was a fair price. My 2 ti springs were on used bikes I purchased. Went to an SLS steel as one spring was 50lbs heavy spring weight wise. Benefit was the SLS spring was 80 grams lighter & half priced used.

Post a reply to: What happened to TiBolts/Springs

The Latest