PSA: Rockshox lower leg

rockchomper
Hello,
If you own a rockshox fork I advise doing a lower leg before 50 hours.

I had a friend tell me his brand new boxxer had almost no oil in the lowers, so I decided to check my fork and my wifes fork, we both only have about 10 hours on our forks but I decided to check anyway. I was very upset to find my wifes fork had ZERO oil in the air side lower!!!!!!!!! and almost no grease in the seals. havent had a chance to do my own fork yet but I am assuming it'll be the same story.

So check your fork people! even if they are new!
|
watchcwgo
7/14/2020 7:11pm
Sad but true they all need a service out of the box.
Skerby
7/29/2020 7:52am
Same goes for pivot bearings. Pack tight with grease when the bike is still fresh and they will last at least twice as long.

You don't even have to remove the bearings, just pop the seals off and use a syringe.
7/29/2020 8:21am
I think with most new forks they don't soak the foam rings so all the oil gets absorbed and that's why there is no oil. As well there is often too much grease in the air spring which will cause the negative air spring to have trouble equalizing.
bstens
Fantasy
353rd
7/29/2020 8:30am
I rebuilt my Lyrik last week after running it since April (installing the new Debonair kit). Fork lowers had what would be expected (10CCs) of oil in 'em.

Definitely a good thing to check on, it's easy to do a lower service, but maybe not as pervasive as we're lead to believe?

Post a reply to: PSA: Rockshox lower leg

The Latest