Nathan Rennie Vs Dwayne Johnson

Pykes
So the events in Rotorua had me looking back at the world champs race from 06.
Hill does the deed and wins it like the hero he is, but Nathan Rennie comes down last and just as he drops down the wooden bridge with the inside or outside near the bottom, a big ass rock rolls across the track causing him to slightly swerve to avoid it. It looks like somebody rolled it on the track.
This has me wondering if anyones race run has been ruined by this kind of stuff?
Has Rennie ever talked about it?
I obviously think someone doing that on purpose is awful,
But i also believe the lifestyle was wilder than the riding before Hill came along and forced everyone to up the game.

Strictly talking world cup and world champs here.
Has anyone any old stories of this kind of stuff happening back in the day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS2p8pVSVw4
33 minutes is the rock incident.
|
bturman
Fantasy
4106th
3/28/2018 9:07am
Embedded for ease:

I don't see the rock you're referring to. Is this video missing sound for you guys as well?
sundaydoug
3/28/2018 11:55am
It's literally right at the 33 minute mark, coming off that wooden bridge it looks like a decent-sized rock rolls in his line from the left of the screen
sspomer
Fantasy
50th
3/28/2018 2:46pm
a spectator accidentally knocked it into the track. i think it was a log, not a rock, but not positive. IIRC, in his post-race interview, he said he didn't even notice it, but it's clear he steers around it. #jedimindshit right there!!!
SeveniDP
3/28/2018 3:36pm
bturman wrote:
Embedded for ease: [embed] https://youtu.be/gS2p8pVSVw4?rel=0&start=1950 [/embed] I don't see the rock you're referring to. Is this video missing sound for you guys as well?
Embedded for ease:

I don't see the rock you're referring to. Is this video missing sound for you guys as well?
It is right after the second bridge in the trees.
Splayleg
Fantasy
17th
3/29/2018 7:46am
The rock rolled back and to the left from the direction of the grassy knoll it was no accident
3/31/2018 2:24am
Splayleg wrote:
The rock rolled back and to the left from the direction of the grassy knoll it was no accident
I call this the "magic rock theory"

Personally, I blame all my shitty race runs on outside influence. This allows me to maintain fragments of my fragile ego. I could go into examples but the tears would short circuit my keyboard.
KAZHA
3/31/2018 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2018 2:41pm
he saw it and had to adjust his line,just watch Earthed 4 where Rennie talks about it after finish
depeche4
3/31/2018 3:59pm
Rode and drank with the guy back in the day when he was on Avanti, surprised he did not stop and smack out the rock or whoever let it go! #Stomper.
bizutch
Fantasy
655th
3/31/2018 10:18pm
A single rock at the National DH race at Sugar Mountain neutralized something like 6 of the top 10 pros during finals.
After a quick rock chute, there was a small roller out on to the ski slope you pumped/sprinted off (a sort of dip).

A really wide rock that was shaped like a piece of firewood. It flipped off the edge of the roller and sat in the center of the dip with it's shark fin/ax blade corner pointing straight up. Riders came out, pumped down into the roller and it just pierced the shit out of their tires.

I designed/built the upper half of the course. It was a re-route when the stupid mountain re-routed the course around a section they closed as being too dangerous. So a piece of grassy damn near flat ground turned the race into an anti-climactic flat fest.
bizutch
Fantasy
655th
3/31/2018 10:23pm
sspomer wrote:
a spectator accidentally knocked it into the track. i think it was a log, not a rock, but not positive. IIRC, in his post-race interview, he...
a spectator accidentally knocked it into the track. i think it was a log, not a rock, but not positive. IIRC, in his post-race interview, he said he didn't even notice it, but it's clear he steers around it. #jedimindshit right there!!!
If you pause it once you can see the uphill slope of the course, that spectator was 4 feet off trail and that had the be on purpose because that rock was flying when it went in front of Rennie. It would have to rolled from way up the hill to get that much speed on that shallow of a slope.

I'm going with 100% hoodlum on purpose, which is NUTS if you really think about how crap that is

Post a reply to: Nathan Rennie Vs Dwayne Johnson

The Latest