Michelins in the PNW??

Skerby
Long story short, got a brand new bike with michelin WiLd Enduro tires. Couldnt complain too much when it was still dry, and had one hero dirt bike park day where I was also pleased with their performance.

Since the rains have come, I have been repeatedly crashing hard at speed. Seems like hard, wet, off camber surfaces are ice to these tires.

Hit a stump with my body doing about 35mph yesterday, completely out of the blue lost front wheel traction on a trail that I have ridden a billion times on a 2.5 maxxsoft dhf.

Just wondering if anyone else in the PNW has an opinion on these. I was excited initially because the sidewall seems to be much harder to tear than DD maxxis tires, now I feel like Im fighting for my life just trying to wear em out so I can swap.
|
metadave
Fantasy
2320th
9/25/2019 9:10pm
So, not in the PNE, but it's been a wet one in southern Alberta this season.

I've found that wet/dry they grab dirt really well. But as soon as it's introduced to any wet roots of any size thing literally go sideways. The other day I got bounced on a trail I know well. As soon as my feet unweighted the pedals the whole rear end went right. I managed to ride it out but my buddy behind me was struggling to figure out what had happened. I knew I was a slightly juicy root.
9/26/2019 6:00am
Skerby wrote:
Long story short, got a brand new bike with michelin WiLd Enduro tires. Couldnt complain too much when it was still dry, and had one hero...
Long story short, got a brand new bike with michelin WiLd Enduro tires. Couldnt complain too much when it was still dry, and had one hero dirt bike park day where I was also pleased with their performance.

Since the rains have come, I have been repeatedly crashing hard at speed. Seems like hard, wet, off camber surfaces are ice to these tires.

Hit a stump with my body doing about 35mph yesterday, completely out of the blue lost front wheel traction on a trail that I have ridden a billion times on a 2.5 maxxsoft dhf.

Just wondering if anyone else in the PNW has an opinion on these. I was excited initially because the sidewall seems to be much harder to tear than DD maxxis tires, now I feel like Im fighting for my life just trying to wear em out so I can swap.
check your compound
9/26/2019 6:20am
Gum X is "harder" than Magi X.

Gum x is probably like maxxis maxxterra and Maxi X is probably more like maxxgrip or supertacky
Skerby
9/26/2019 6:29am
Huh! It does feel like traction suffers on rocks especially, and these are the gum tires. I think Im gonna throw a DHF up front and just run these both as rears.

Thanks guys
luisgutrod
Fantasy
423rd
9/26/2019 6:44am
with moderate light mud , the GUM X are fine.. wet rocks and roots, like 3C Maxterra.. but for everyday use the MagiX compund is tricky.. is harder so it works funny if not pushed super hard.. I could not get around it.. It has better traction in wet rocks and roots, but unpredictable breakaway when not going full blast .. The rear Wild enduro comes only in GumX, and if you keep it at around 26-28 psi, traction is fantastic.. you can use the front at the rear if you get more loam and a littl ebit of mud and want better braking traction, .. just stick to gumx..
the old magix seen in gripper and Rockr2 is different than this new MagiX, that one was straighforward softer and always stickier than gumx....cheers
BHowell
9/26/2019 9:52am
Skerby wrote:
Huh! It does feel like traction suffers on rocks especially, and these are the gum tires. I think Im gonna throw a DHF up front and...
Huh! It does feel like traction suffers on rocks especially, and these are the gum tires. I think Im gonna throw a DHF up front and just run these both as rears.

Thanks guys
Check your side knobs as well. A number of the Wild Enduro tires I have seen will have side knobs that are under-cut. They look fine but in reality, are hanging on by a thread and result in exactly what you're describing. Unfortunately, this seems to happen pretty quickly.
Skerby
10/4/2019 6:53am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2019 7:31am
Dropped pressure from 25/30 to 23/26 and I am very happy with these in the currently slick conditions of the trails I ride.

I think bad bike setup is partially to blame for my initial high speed wash outs. Figuring out suspension on new bike(dropped about 15 psi in fork), lowered handlebars

Still, I have a new DHF so I plan to swap and compare.

Edit: Tire is bonkers good in soft wet dirt.

Post a reply to: Michelins in the PNW??

The Latest